• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

kris.

Banned
Nice! You're dead on. Definitely not Geoff. I wonder who that is and why Geoff bounced from UN?

his twitter still says he's the "current singer" so who knows. either way, i want whatever this is on wax solely for the cover. because it's beautiful.

also their last album came out in a crazy awesome vinyl bundle that i treasure to this day.

Don't they have a thing going where they won't ever say who is actually in the band at any given time, minus Geoff? You guys could get killed just talking about it.

Though, people have basically deduced who is who for most of it. And on that note, one was Ben Koller from Converge, who is a certifiable monster on the drums... Did you guys all catch that band Mutoid Man?

If not... get on it. Absolutely killer.

kris.

Banned
yea, they never confirm except for Geoff and a lot of the others don't stick around often apparently. i'll check that out tho, Ben Koller is one of my favorite drummers on the planet and the dude from Cave In does vox for that. sounds awesome.

Some decent emo representation in NeoGAF's AOTY results. GAF is more hip hop leaning than I had expected. I should really listen to that A Tribe Called Quest album huh.

kris.

Banned
i gave that a listen on my commute to work this morning and it was so good. as big of a fan of hip hop as i am, somehow i'd never listened to ATCQ before.

So, what are we listening to today?

Lean into the pain and go full on depressed jamz? Go full on posi with songs about working together? Aggro bangers? Anthems for a new tomorrow? Anthem for a New Tomorrow? (<-- just found an OG Lookout! pressing on vinyl last weekend at a thrift store)

I can't decide.

Kawl_USC

Treating today like any other day. Might listen to some julien baker and pine grove in memory of election night.

Otherwise trying to not give it any time or effort. Too depressing.

kris.

Banned
probably gonna jam whatever United Nations releases today. holy fuck i am excited.

edit:

and there it is. new song, new singer, pay what you want. all proceeds go to the ACLU and Planned Parenthood.

olympia

I still have the cd of their first lp with the abbey road cover (I got the record down the line, too). pretty great. I didn't get the second one though :x. new track sounds great

yea, they never confirm except for Geoff and a lot of the others don't stick around often apparently. i'll check that out tho, Ben Koller is one of my favorite drummers on the planet and the dude from Cave In does vox for that. sounds awesome.

wait what, Cave In's singer Stephen Brodsky is one of my favorite vocalists, what is he in?? Mutoid Man or something else?

wait what, Cave In's singer Stephen Brodsky is one of my favorite vocalists, what is he in?? Mutoid Man or something else?

Mutoid Man, singing there. He plays guitar, too, since it's only a 3 piece. And he kills it. Really, everyone just plays so tight in that band.

The whole album "Bleeder" is incredible.

---
Has anyone figured out who the new United Nations singer is? That article kris posted seemed to give a hint that it's someone who fronts another band.

myco666

YEESSSSSSSS
I was lucky to get a first pressing of it. Like one of the last copies.

Nice. It doesn't seem to be too expensive on discogs yet but all the copies are at US lol. Atleast coretex has it still but no mention which pressing. Guess it is the second.

Also not emo but checked some discog prices for albums I want and Disfear - Live the Storm LP goes for 100$ currently. No way I am getting that then.

Have you seen the color variants for the new Sorority Noise?

Also, new song slays, as peppermints mentioned.

No I haven't. I'm not super big into Sorority Noise. I do need to check out the new song

Just listened. For sure their best thing yet. I can say I am looking forward to the new album now.

jr2ImfB.png

2meIRL4meIRL

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
So I read Brendan won't be with Modern Baseball on the european tour next month due to pretty bad depression.

Bummed 'cause I'm gonna be seeing them but I hope he gets through it, looks like he's confronting his problems and handling it well.

I also believe Jake can probably handle taking over basically all the vocals, wonder if this means they'll cut any songs from their set.

http://pitchfork.com/news/71136-mod...-touring-with-band-to-focus-on-mental-health/

Did I already post this? Days have been blurry lately.

Rosenstock put out an acoustic album for the benefit of the Immigrant Defense Project: http://quoteunquoterecords.com/qur090.htm

Free/donation like those BTMI! days.

And in case you're in the mood for a bummer, here's a Touche Amore video that looks to be about a guy going back to his hometown, alone and lonely, over a song on an album about the guy's mom dying. Happy times? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5PDs2VlnSc

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Banged down a pre order for Mom Jeans second pressing as they've got a proper UK supplier, the green & orabge splashy version, no way I'll miss that bad boy.

Now let's stop foolin' around and turn this band into a lean, mean, mom jeans revenge machine!

Banged down a pre order for Mom Jeans second pressing as they've got a proper UK supplier, the green & orabge splashy version, no way I'll miss that bad boy.

I was kinda surprised I still nabbed a copy of the first pressing considering how the demo community has fallen in love with them.

anyone else listening to a ton of punk recently?

with light of obvious happenings I have found myself listening a lot of punk.

Black Flag, Rancid, Drive A, Oskar, Bad Religion, Anti-Flag, Operation Ivy, Misfits etc. it's so good and I figured that it has plenty of crossover.

Has anyone else had this?

Also.... NEW OLIVER HOUSTON IS LIT

Checked out Oliver Houston because you mentioned it Jhonny. It's pretty damn good.

Also been listening to the new Sinai Vessel album since it came out. Good stuff.

akileese

Thursday just announced a new national tour with Touche Amore. IIRC, this is the second time they've toured with them nationally. Wax Idols is on the first leg and I forgot who's on the second.

They're going to be in Dallas on 4/8 so I'll be going but I really wish this shit would spread out. I'm going to four concerts in ten days (Kevin Devine, Thursday, Enter Shikari, and Puffy Amiyumi with my wife).

PillarEN

Thursday just announced a new national tour with Touche Amore. IIRC, this is the second time they've toured with them nationally. Wax Idols is on the first leg and I forgot who's on the second.

They're going to be in Dallas on 4/8 so I'll be going but I really wish this shit would spread out. I'm going to four concerts in ten days (Kevin Devine, Thursday, Enter Shikari, and Puffy Amiyumi with my wife).

They are playing in the States?! That's awesome. Sadly I already have some plans Friday but Touche Amore is playing in Prague. Oh well. I haven't really listened to their discography. My music friends States-side really like them though.

myco666

anyone else listening to a ton of punk recently?

with light of obvious happenings I have found myself listening a lot of punk.

Black Flag, Rancid, Drive A, Oskar, Bad Religion, Anti-Flag, Operation Ivy, Misfits etc. it's so good and I figured that it has plenty of crossover.

Has anyone else had this?

Also.... NEW OLIVER HOUSTON IS LIT

Not more than normally. Amount of anti-facists and anti-nazi tracks has skyrocketed though lol.

Man, you guys get so great shows.

kris.

Banned
100% going to that Thursday show.

also been listening to a lot of Propagandhi lately. and Bush-era NOFX. and Run the Jewels. lots of catharsis in music.

akileese

Not more than normally. Amount of anti-facists and anti-nazi tracks has skyrocketed though lol.

Man, you guys get so great shows.

The other two of the four are Enter Shikari and Kevin Devine/Modern Baseball. I'm used to NYC where a lot of the good shows are spread out over the course of the year. In Texas you get the huge boom in March/April, maybe a late summer show, couple fall shows and then it's barren until March/April again.

myco666

I guess the scene is just dead here lol. It is three years since Touche Amore was here and I don't think Thursday has ever played here. Even the latest Modern Baseball tour they came to Sweden but not here.

kris.

Banned
i got to see thursday back in 09 when la dispute and the fall of troy opened for them. that show as SO FUCKING SICK.

kinda sucked tho because young widows were supposed to be on that bill but they had to drop from the tour for some reason. was looking forward to seeing them.

kris.

Banned
double post sry also not emo but if you're into punk/hardcore, dan yemin of lifetime/paint it black/kid dynamite is in a new band called open city and their debut lp is streaming on bandcamp.

i wish he and the rest of paint it black would release some new shit, but this rules so eh.

https://theeopencity.bandcamp.com/releases

Yo just realized free throw and you blew it are playing this Friday. Gonna catch that show for sure

Yeah, they're coming here for a $5 all ages show next month. Lemuria is also coming with Mikey Erg and Cayetana, so I figure I'll catch that.

And motherfucking Death is coming for their "Take Back the South" tour!

-----

But enough about, now about this. I needed this right now. New Irong Reagon stream:https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/iron-reagan-baptize-the-thrash-faithful-with-crossover-ministry

The other two of the four are Enter Shikari and Kevin Devine/Modern Baseball. I'm used to NYC where a lot of the good shows are spread out over the course of the year. In Texas you get the huge boom in March/April, maybe a late summer show, couple fall shows and then it's barren until March/April again.

Yeah that is very true about Texas. I am in Houston and my concert schedule is pretty packed in the spring with the big boys being Circa Survive/mewithoutyou/Turnover show, then Deafheaven/This Will Destroy You/Emma Ruth Rundle show then, Touche Amore and then in June I get to see Sigur Ros in Austin

Kawl_USC

Yeah that is very true about Texas. I am in Houston and my concert schedule is pretty packed in the spring with the big boys being Circa Survive/mewithoutyou/Turnover show, then Deafheaven/This Will Destroy You/Emma Ruth Rundle show then, Touche Amore and then in June I get to see Sigur Ros in Austin
You not catching the free throw show tomorrow?

Also thanks for reminding me to get tickets to the turnover show coming up.

Top Bottom