• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2014 Thread 2: Evil doesn't prevail July 13th - Final day

Dahbomb

I'd say tiers are way more important in Marvel than Street Fighter. I don't think we'll ever see a Frank West, Phoenix Wright, and Ghost Rider team in the top 8.

Fucking Zangief made it into the top 5. Shit, what if a Hugo player makes it to the top? What if Snake Eyez mained Hugo next year?
Frank West has won two Marvel 3 majors... and Frank West leveled up is an absurdly good character that can destroy many of the top tiers (all except Morrigan really).

Phoenix Wright and Ghost Rider are absurdly garbage characters. Ghost Rider has appeared in top 8 because FChamp liked to use him to troll people with. There was this infamous moment where FChamp used Ghost Rider on KBR and got bopped at NCR.

Tiers of course matter a lot in Marve 3 but they are not the definitive factor in deciding who wins. Skill still matters the most... I think people should realize this after watching Justin. Zangief is actually good in Ultra now and better than where a team like Hulk/Haggar/Shuma are on the tier list for UMVC3 for example.

Rose's meter gain via fireball absorb is ridiculously OP. She gains half a bar per absorb and completely destroys the zoning game of fireball characters. Louffy had Super like 90% of the time fighting Bonchan.

Shit is stupid.

Sounds like you want a runback of my Rose?

I'd say tiers are way more important in Marvel than Street Fighter. I don't think we'll ever see a Frank West, Phoenix Wright, and Ghost Rider team in the top 8
I disagree, the team up nature of MvC makes tiers somewhat blurry. Pairing certain characters together can make them better than if they were paired with another character.

MormaPope

Banned
Rose's meter gain via fireball absorb is ridiculously OP. She gains half a bar per absorb and completely destroys the zoning game of fireball characters. Louffy had Super like 90% of the time fighting Bonchan.

Shit is stupid.

Zangief almost shut Rose down.

If she absorbs them fireballs, stop throwing them.

"I also don't get why the Fei players didn't have semi viable alts if the Rose matchup was that bad for them.."

Because Rose isn't a common matchup and the amount of players that play anywhere near the level of Louffy is like....2. Louffy and maybe Filipino Man.

There are a couple dope Roses in Japan (Keshikaran and Kawaguuchi). One made SBO (3v3, but still) GFs, can't remember which though.

Fmal

Banned

Shit is stupid.

Bad matchups exist and it is every player's responsibility to either learn how to deal with them or how to play a character with a better match-up.

It sucks Bonchan couldn't figure out what to do but there are 40+ characters for him to chose a sub (a lot of them don't even have fireballs!) from for next year.

whatever dude.

That's crazy. fucking crazy .

I know the list, I've kept track of who he was beating since pools ended. Many of them were favorable match ups. The player list is extremely impressive, the match up list was also good for Rose. I admit that I'm salty because of my dislike for the character. So I just spilled some of that salt.

MormaPope

Banned
Frank West has won two Marvel 3 majors... and Frank West leveled up is an absurdly good character that can destroy many of the top tiers (all except Morrigan really).

Phoenix Wright and Ghost Rider are absurdly garbage characters. Ghost Rider has appeared in top 8 because FChamp liked to use him to troll people with. There was this infamous moment where FChamp used Ghost Rider on KBR and got bopped at NCR.

Tiers of course matter a lot in Marve 3 but they are not the definitive factor in deciding who wins. Skill still matters the most... I think people should realize this after watching Justin. Zangief is actually good in Ultra now and better than where a team like Hulk/Haggar/Shuma are on the tier list for UMVC3 for example.

Of course, I'd never argue competitive play for MvC3 doesn't require an insane amount of skill.

As for Zangief being good in Ultra, I don't know about that, really don't know about that one.

iori9999

Banned
I wonder if SBO is done now or will there be one?

I dunno why people dislike Rose, I've played her on and off through this game and she really requires great reactions and mind.

I wanted Gief or Sagat to win.. Basically wanted a mid tier since I dont use too many top tiers myself..

Omega

Banned
lol @ people crying about Rose.

not surprising. a character is weak until they win evo, then they're op. and need to be nerfed. If Snake Eyez won people would still somehow find something to complain about

TOO MUCH HEALTH. ITS NOT FAIR. NERF
Y HE HAVE MUCH RANGE ON SPD. NERF
MOHAWK OP. TAKE IT AWAY

one year, people will give props to the player and realize the player won and not the character

Dahbomb

As for Zangief being good in Ultra, I don't know about that, really don't know about that one.
I am not an expert on the matter but most people have said Zangief is pretty good, Ultradavid included. Around top 20 good which for SF4 is generally good enough to make top 8 even at EVO.

Unlucky

Why the predictions that rose will get nerfed? Is there another patch incoming? Did I miss an Ono announcement?
I can't find source (Eventhubs maybe?) but Combofiend said all they are planning for now is to fix some bugs & wonky hitboxes. No balance changes for now because they want to "let the game breathe."

Sigmaah

Niggas already saying Louffy got lucky or Rose is OP or some other ridiculous shit.

The fuck you watch this shit for then? I don't see your ass going to evo, working so hard to win at something you love doing. The fuck?

I can't find source (Eventhubs maybe?) but Combofiend said all they are planning for now is to fix some bugs & wonky hitboxes. No balance changes for now because they want to "let the game breathe."

Ah thanks. Thanks for the avatar, too!

Lol "let the game breathe". Bring some nasal cannula to Sim, cuz he gaspin for air

BizzyBum

Bleh, it's late and I'm on my iPad so I don't feel like going into my Rose rants now.

I'll just say they need to tone down her meter gain via absorb for now.

OceanBlue

There are a couple dope Roses in Japan (Keshikaran and Kawaguuchi). One made SBO (3v3, but still) GFs, can't remember which though.

Keshikaran pretty much mains Poison now on XBL if I'm not mistaken. I don't know about arcades. Kawaguchi's top character is Poison in arcades, but by not that much more than Rose. Ninomae is the top Rose at the moment, but I'm shit at fighting games so I couldn't tell you if Ninomae is any better than Kawaguchi.

Zangief almost shut Rose down.

To be fair, I think grapplers are kind of a weird matchup for Rose because they're really momentum based. If she gets going it's an easy win but one hard knockdown can lead to a loss since she has no way of escaping throws besides backdash (not sure if U1 is throw invincible, I only use U2).

Rose is a great character all around in Ultra though. The only thing that I think should be adjusted is her meter gain honestly.

Top Bottom