• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F.E.A.R. 2 Demo

VOOK said:
The fake out freak thing with the ghosts and the place flashing to the alt-dimension or whatever is so lame, is it meant to be scary or something?

It is what it is.

Sorry but one of my pet peeves is people who play a "scary" game and then whine about it not being scary. Everybody is different when it comes to that sort of stuff about what pushes their buttons.

Nikorasu

VOOK said:
The fake out freak thing with the ghosts and the place flashing to the alt-dimension or whatever is so lame, is it meant to be scary or something?

2m7i44o.gif

Nikorasu said:
It's not like this game is a threat to killzone 2's success. I already have my copy preordered. :)
Don't be so sure. All I know is that I cancelled my killzone 2 pre-order after playing this demo. Why would I need two games like this? And this one's got such attention to detail, environment enriched with interactivity and such a visual punch to it-- and don't get me started on the robot suits. Are there mechs to walk around in in killzone 2? You can just feel how much love was put into making this game, they even bought back the franchise name. What are the guys over at the killzone camp doing? Still trying to catch up with some old CG video. Come on, the choice was obvious. F.E.A.R. 2 is the Killzone 2 killer.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Stoney Mason said:
It is what it is.

Sorry but one of my pet peeves is people who play a "scary" game and then whine about it not being scary. Everybody is different when it comes to that sort of stuff about what pushes their buttons.

It's not so much that I was expecting a scary game,but just that it serves no purpose what so ever. I mean the level is still there, this stuff just floats over the top of and you can still get to where you are meant to be going by completely ignoring it. I know it's meant to get you to freak out so you shoot them, waste ammo and get involved but it just feel's like a distraction to me.

VOOK said:
It's not so much that I was expecting a scary game,but just that it serves no purpose what so ever. I mean the level is still there, this stuff just floats over the top of and you can still get to where you are meant to be going by completely ignoring it. I know it's meant to get you to freak out so you shoot them, waste ammo and get involved but it just feel's like a distraction to me.

It wasn't necessarily a great moment to me from a gameplay perspective simply because you can run past it. So my complaint is more on the gameplay side rather than the atmosphere side which is maybe what you were going for.

Nikorasu said:
In the first game the supernatural stuff was more of a plot device to keep you on edge, then started becoming an actual threat at the very end once you think you've gotten used to it.
I wouldn't judge the impact of the paranormal on gameplay just by the demo. From the sound of things it will become an even bigger threat to you as it goes on. I know those ghosts did a hefty amount of damage at the end of fear - you could not just walk through ignoring them.

And he addressed it better than I did in the post above.

Nikorasu

VOOK said:

In the first game the supernatural stuff was more of a plot device to keep you on edge, then started becoming an actual threat at the very end once you think you've gotten used to it.
I wouldn't judge the impact of the paranormal on gameplay just by the demo. From the sound of things it will become an even bigger threat to you as it goes on. I know those ghosts did a hefty amount of damage at the end of fear - you could not just walk through ignoring them.

Mamesj

Banned
McLovin said:
I thought maybe I might be crazy on hating on this game so I gave the demo a second shot. Even went up a difficulty level to see if the AI improved. I didn't even notice a difference. I even approached two guys that weren't facing me. Shot one in the back with the shot gun and looked at the other one. He didn't even flinch.. all he said was I think I heard something. Took some pics 1920x1080 everything maxed out.
[
shouldn't the glass like fall to the ground or something?
Also saw this pic in another forum..
wtf at the square wheels :/

6hi8lk.jpg

and look at these hotdogs. They're not even cooked. If they're on a roaster, they should be darker in color. These look raw and slimy.

FUCK THIS SHIT. PRE-ORDER CANCELED.

Mamesj said:
http://i40.tinypic.com/6hi8lk.jpg

and look at these hotdogs. They're not even cooked. If they're on a roaster, they should be darker in color. These look raw and slimy.

FUCK THIS SHIT. PRE-ORDER CANCELED.

:lol :lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
VOOK said:
It's supposed to be atmospheric. I thought the otherworld stuff was really well done though.

Diablos

Downloaded the demo for PS3. Oh how I wish my 7950GT didn't burn out on me (thanks Zalman) last year, as I definitely prefer playing this game on PC (like any other FPS).

Diablos

edit what?

It's a good game, I played the demo to completion. But I prefer FEAR on PC, as I do any other FPS, that's all. I primarily game on consoles with the exception of a FPS, it just makes more sense on PC (to me at least).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Loaded up FEAR 1 again just now to make sure I wasn't giving it too much credit compared to this game. Yeah, regardless of what silly things dark10x says, FEAR 1's shooting feels damn good and still holds up favorably to every other FPS out there.

What a shame the series has been consolized.

McLovin

GAZERK said:
You need to realize that the AI right was toned down right there so it could introduce the player to the controls. If the enemies were super smart without the player knowing the controls, he/she would be screwed.
Toned down eh? I guess that makes sense since I didn't have to use that bullet time even once. When I got the sniper was just walking around picking them off. Then I got bored and started using melee attack. I got a bunch of them and then died. I did lol a little when one of the soldiers tried karate kicking me. I think I hit him right in the nuts. Instant kill :lol

Kingpen

EviLore said:
Loaded up FEAR 1 again just now to make sure I wasn't giving it too much credit compared to this game. Yeah, regardless of what silly things dark10x says, FEAR 1's shooting feels damn good and still holds up favorably to every other FPS out there.

Ditto. I am realizing why I fell in love with it in Fall 06 and basically ignored Gears over it at the time. The AI on hard is really making me amazed in astonishment at how cleaver these mofos are.

Flank tactics galore, grenade flushouts that amaze me that they catch me at the slightest hint of me not giving my total attention.

The whole game sounds fantastic over my 5.1 surround as well. The machine pistols that are exclusive to the console versions are amazing as well. I just got the shotgun, and yeah, this shotty is better then the one in the FEAR 2 demo.

Mamesj

Banned
McLovin said:
Toned down eh? I guess that makes sense since I didn't have to use that bullet time even once. When I got the sniper was just walking around picking them off. Then I got bored and started using melee attack. I got a bunch of them and then died. I did lol a little when one of the soldiers tried karate kicking me. I think I hit him right in the nuts. Instant kill :lol

you don't even know what part he's referring to, do you...

Rur0ni

Just beat the demo. The game looks really good at times. Other times pretty basic. Also get slowdown depending. Specifically outdoors I guess, or where there's foggy mist stuff. Gah, I hate being scared. Mousing my way through the school. Doesn't have quite the same umpf as FEAR1, but I like it nonetheless.

2real4tv

Downloaded the demo on 360 wasn't too impressed with the graphics. Only played the demo for Fear 1 and I remember the IQ being a little bit better looks sort of blurry on my screen.

Dedalus

Demo feels a lot like Deus Ex 2, ie. a console-friendly version of the original. Graphics-wise I can run everything maxed out, looks fine and I can get constant 60fps. Feel sorry for you guys having to run it at 720p.

Played the demo tonight. I dunno, it seems okay. Not something I'll pick up unless it's dirt cheap.

I think I'm getting tired of two trends that this game uses:

1) Psyche out horror shit. I've just played so many games that use the same tricks (flashes of images, surround sound whispering, women/children crying in the distance, etc. etc.) It was awesome once but it's really lost it's impact with me. How many subway or school levels must I tread through in this type of game. I just got finished with Condemned 1 and it's amazing how similar some of the levels are.

2) Dingy monochromatic FPS's. I'm just sick of them. I know it's popular to hate on Halo around here but one of the things I really like about it is the use of colors, realism be damned. All the greens, reds, and purples, whether on the enemies, friends, vehicles, or the level layouts really gives my eye some enjoyment.

Nikorasu

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Played the demo tonight. I dunno, it seems okay. Not something I'll pick up unless it's dirt cheap.

I think I'm getting tired of two trends that this game uses:

1) Psyche out horror shit. I've just played so many games that use the same tricks (flashes of images, surround sound whispering, women/children crying in the distance, etc. etc.) It was awesome once but it's really lost it's impact with me. How many subway or school levels must I tread through in this type of game. I just got finished with Condemned 1 and it's amazing how similar some of the levels are.

Eh, different strokes..

2) Dingy monochromatic FPS's. I'm just sick of them. I know it's popular to hate on Halo around here but one of the things I really like about it is the use of colors, realism be damned. All the greens, reds, and purples, whether on the enemies, friends, vehicles, or the level layouts really gives my eye some enjoyment.

Well, the game starts before the nuke goes off and from the shots there are plenty of fairly clean, colorful environment. The Armacham headquarters looked quite nice. Also slow-mo creates some nice rainbow effects and gives enemies a pretty golden glow. :D

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
VOOK said:

They hurt you actually. So its not ammo wasted.

Played it tonight. Jumped a couple of times. I really like the use of lighting, and it gives off an almost Silent Hill-esque vibe every so often.

Mar

EviLore said:

While you're busy being bitter, I'll be enjoying the game. I played the original FEAR on PC, I'll be playing FEAR 2 on 360. And judging by the demo, enjoying every second of it.

I liked the original Fear although I never beat it. The environments got a little monotonous, but I liked the MP a lot, especially after it became freeware, the servers really picked up. The DM in is this game had a nice feel and variety with the slow mo powerups, and the weapons were awesome.

I'm getting the PC demo right now, 1.8gb damn...are the console demos that big ?

Also how long is the demo, hopefully a full level from the game ?

Death Dealer said:
I'm getting the PC demo right now, 1.8gb damn...are the console demos that big ? Also how long is the demo, hopefully a full level from the game ?

I remember them being around 700 - 800 MB...somewhere around there? The demo's ok in length. Not too short, but not that long, either.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Mar_ said:
While you're busy being bitter, I'll be enjoying the game. I played the original FEAR on PC, I'll be playing FEAR 2 on 360. And judging by the demo, enjoying every second of it.

I'm giving my impressions of the game and comparing it to its predecessor, probably a valid discussion point in the demo thread for the sequel.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Well tbh the only thing I can say that I feel has been 'consolized' about this game are the controls, they just don't work that well on the PC at all imo, but overall I think the demo was great and I was a big fan of the first game (completed on the PC). I love the mech section, hopefully it will add a bit of diversity to the game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
EviLore said:

Heh, you really think it feels good? Fair enough, opinions are opinions. I never thought it was a good example of a PC shooter.

I suppose it really comes down to the way the game looks while playing. The appearance of your gun/hand on screen is just really lousy (jumping looking) and the flashlight effect is ugly as hell. The simple act of moving and shooting feels awful to me, which I could deal with if the game didn't consist of boring corridors and repetitive encounters.

Demo feels a lot like Deus Ex 2, ie. a console-friendly version of the original.
OK, that's just insane right there. Deus Ex IW completely changed the interface and design of the game. It's not as if the original FEAR offer a lot of depth. FEAR 2 trims a couple of features (such as leaning) and introduces others (such as "iron sights").

Returners

Its definitely a very solid shooter. Though in the face of Killzone 2, I'm waiting on the demo to that game before deciding.

F#A#Oo

Banned
So like I shat my pants playing this with the invisible enemies... :(

Had to turn it off...thank god it's only a demo otherwise if I bought this it would be like my copy of Dead Space just sitting in it's case till I can muster the courage to touch it. LOL.:D

There was something that bugged me about the shooting, I just couldn't get into it. I did however enjoy the mech sections, so if anything I seem to be backwards on this demo compared to most. Still, Alma is neat and the environments are great, definitely something I'll consider.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why are you guys comparing console games to the PC version of this demo again?
I think they compare favorably. Does anyone recall how PC ports used to turn out on the consoles?

FEAR 2 on the consoles basically looks about the same as the PC version with lesser image quality, a lower framerate, and slightly lower resolution textures in some places. All in all, it's perfectly solid looking on both consoles (though the 360 version has an edge). I'll play this on the PC myself, but I wouldn't feel bad about playing it on a console.

Nafai1123

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
Don't be so sure. All I know is that I cancelled my killzone 2 pre-order after playing this demo. Why would I need two games like this? And this one's got such attention to detail, environment enriched with interactivity and such a visual punch to it-- and don't get me started on the robot suits. Are there mechs to walk around in in killzone 2? You can just feel how much love was put into making this game, they even bought back the franchise name. What are the guys over at the killzone camp doing? Still trying to catch up with some old CG video. Come on, the choice was obvious. F.E.A.R. 2 is the Killzone 2 killer.

Lol, if you were describing KZ2 I would agree 100%.

Personally, after playing and loving the first F.E.A.R. I was rather disappointed with the demo. The environments looked like they came right out of the first one, the framerate was terrible (ps3) and the A.I. was not nearly as intelligent as I remember it. It also seems like they added many more "scary" ghost moments, which imo was the wrong choice. I would much rather have more combat/less supernatural crap, since the combat arguably works much better than the incredibly scripted creepy bits.

edit: And yes, I do believe there is a mech suit in KZ2.

hmmn.. i kinda liked it..
they could have polished it a lot more and there were some unforgivable issues like bulletholes in the air.... but i liked it.

can you change the triggers for bumpers (PS3)? (didn't try, but i hate the triggers for shooting)

will download on 360 to compare

I actually prefer the ps3 version of FEAR 2 demo over 360. Not sure why though. PS3 seems to have more intense rumble cuz its a smaller controller.

brunoa76

Dedalus said:
Demo feels a lot like Deus Ex 2, ie. a console-friendly version of the original. Graphics-wise I can run everything maxed out, looks fine and I can get constant 60fps. Feel sorry for you guys having to run it at 720p.

Well it runs at 25fps even in SD (PS3 version) :/

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
EviLore said:

;_;

not you too, evilore..

weren't the environment effects awesome? weren't they? didn't you love the shifts to red world? and that guy getting smoke-monstered? and alma grabbing your arms? didn't you loveeee theeemmmmmmm?!?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
being a no one lives forever fan, i've gotta ask...

is the same team behind this sequel? or does anyone know if there's a new force behind this one? i'd support anything they did regardless.

Foil

I haven't read the entire thread, but I finally got around to playing this demo on PS3.

I'm not sure what to think. Maybe I'm crazy but the general game mechanics, hit detection, weapons feel, etc. It all seems to be a step backwards when compared to the original game. Or atleast it feels that way to me. Even stuff like the gibs system and enemy designs look weaker than they did in F.E.A.R. Shooting guys doesn't feel anywhere near as rewarding as the first, I can't really explain it. Something feels off.

Visually it's better but it's still dated in some areas and the framerate/aliasing isn't exactly the best on the PS3 version. My sound also cut out around the sniper section. My only other complaints would be the flashing shit happening too often combined with either the fov or something that's giving me a major headache. The text is also annoyingly hard to read on my SDTV, and I usually don't complain about that. I won't even get into the having the triggers for shooting and aiming...

It's a better than average shooter from what the demo offered, but I was expecting a little more. I'll check it out when it releases though. Was Project Origin made by the same team? It feels very different, better in some ways, worse in others. I'm on the fence.

jett

D-Member
All right, tried out the PS3 demo. The controls are kind of unresponsive, and the shooting/gunplay pretty MEH, there's no intensity at all. The context sensitive stuff doesn't work well either, you have to be in a very specific -exact- position to trigger that shit.
This is definitely a no buy for me.

And I don't know why they bother showing you your character's legs in first person when they're just gonna freaking clip through your arms and gun. :p

Top Bottom