• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F.E.A.R. 2 Demo

GodofWine

(PS3) I thought the opening of the demo was cool, then it switched to the non-hallucination part and it lost some of its wow factor. But the supernatural aspect should appeal to bigger fans of the genre. (the little girl creeped me out)

Gun play was decent I thought, but its not going on my list...there is one game on my list right now, I shall not mention its name. :D

Mrbob

Finally had a chance to give this a whirl on PC, felt much better. I felt at home with the controls, and the graphics, frame rate are fantastic. This felt like playing FEAR.

firex

I thought it was pretty fun with some solid level design and AI, which makes it more or less like any other Monolith FPS that's not NOLF1/2 (their highest point imo). but that was the PC demo so it also looked really pretty.

never played Fear 1, though, mainly because it came out when I was too poor to afford it and my PC at the time couldn't run it.

Troidal

I downloaded the 360 demo now and although the game runs smoother, it also looks too soft. I prefer the sharpness on the PS3 but it does have some framerate problems and stutters on some spots.

But the more I play this game, the more I think FEAR1 was the better game (graphical aspects aside).

I'm debating on picking this one up now, wanna keep my game spendings tight, plus the I should think about my backlogs.

Ywap

In F.E.A.R 2 you´re a plastic soldier behind a plastic visor with a plastic gun shooting at your imaginary friends in a doll house. And when you throw one of your bubble gum grenades at the glowing fantasy friends it makes a cute blue neon trail behind it - fantastic, everyone is having a blast!

Later when you grab the Lego sniper rifle and shoot at one of your kindergarden pals he turns into a ketchup bomb - the room explodes in laughter!!!!

And no happy-horror game is complete without a super-duper-giant-mec-ride at the end, but then again, everyone knows that...

Oh, did i forget to tell you how happy i am about consoles as the lead platform for shooters?

Dani said:
I got bored with the flashing lights and random disappearing ghosts and switched off. Disappointing.
Seriously, that section was horrible.

I also hated how the screen would turn red every other minute without any real consequences, to the point where I was expecting them before they happen (A quiet room, wait... there you go, a red screen with a little girl watching you). The scare factor was lost to routine.

Shooting was alright. I'll wait for reviews.

-Winnie-

The jump scare near the end
when the woman ghost thing grabs you
totally got me by surprise. Scared the shit out of me. :lol

Ywap

bistromathics said:
with your left hand on your plastic keyboard and your right hand on your plastic mouse!

Who the h*ll are you to judge?

ziouw9.jpg

:D

Dabanton

-Winnie- said:

I also like the one when you
hear a subtle noise behind you and turn only for her to swipe at you and disappear.

Chinner

Banned
I played the demo(360) and enjoyed it. Quite tempted to pick this up.

What are the previews/hype/other posters general opinion on this?

Ricker

-Winnie- said:

Heh,I started shaking the controller and expected a QTE during this but thank god there was none...the Bus toppling part was awesome also,again,loved the demo.

This game, judging by the demo, is very effective. I never played the first one much (360 port seemed to suck), but this one is solid. Impressive visuals, feels polished.

This game is such a curious blend of supernatural horror and high tech, high octane gunplay. I'll never understand what posessed them to make a game like this, but I like it. Few "scary" games bother me, but playing this alone at 3am? Was a bit unsettling.

I enjoyed it. Also big props for body dismemberment of enemies. Too many games lack this, but it really punches up the experience. I'll always remember soldier of fortune very fondly for being one of the early adopters of this feature.

Mrbob

I'm pretty sure that young woman is older Alma and the aftermath of her burning the world to the ground. Or at least playing her part in doing so. She only knew pain, so she is being destruction to everyone else.

Movement

That's the first time I jumped in a while lol. I was at that school part w/ the ghosts when someone texted me and it literally made me jump.:lol

Dabanton

Played this again earlier with the music turned off,very enjoyable especially the school part makes it even more eerie.

K' Dash

I never played anything on my computer, so can anyone tell me what do I need to run this game maxed out on PC?

Got this:

Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz
Nvidia 8500gt
4GB RAM

Pretty fun demo. I hope it gets harder though. For all the good things the A.I was doing I still pretty much obliterated them in minutes. Hard mode didn't really help things either other than to make the mech section more difficult.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
K' Dash said:
I never played anything on my computer, so can anyone tell me what do I need to run this game maxed out on PC?

Got this:

Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz
Nvidia 8500gt
4GB RAM
If it's anything like the last FEAR then all you need is a video card upgrade. I'll let you know, because my current setup is ridiculously CPU limited.

Can we get a show of neogaf hands who is going to buy this game on day one? Also, who is thinking of buying it and who will definitely NEVER EVER EVER own this game.

I am on the thinking of buying it side. In fact my trigger finger has been so close to purchasing it via Steam since it was made for pre-order.

Alan

Nizz

Chinner said:
I played the demo(360) and enjoyed it. Quite tempted to pick this up.

What are the previews/hype/other posters general opinion on this?
Going by the PS3 demo, a couple of things bothered me. First, the framerate isn't all that great. It got kinda choppy at times. Also, inexplicably to me, they mapped firing your weapon to R2. I don't get it when Condemned 2 used R1 for melee/shooting. Would be kinda disappointing if the final game didn't address these issues. I love the gunplay in the F.E.A.R. games. The sniper rifle is a beast. And the horror angle to the games interest me. But I want to wait for some reviews/impressions from other people before picking it up. I'm sure the 360 version will be tight, but I want to see how the PS3 version turns out in the end...

Nikorasu

LovingSteam said:
Can we get a show of neogaf hands who is going to buy this game on day one? Also, who is thinking of buying it and who will definitely NEVER EVER EVER own this game.

I am on the thinking of buying it side. In fact my trigger finger has been so close to purchasing it via Steam since it was made for pre-order.

Alan

FEAR2 is the shittiest shit that ever shat out of a butt and if you like it then that means you like SHIT.

Day one.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
LovingSteam said:

Alan
I'm thinking of buying it, but I'll need to find a copy of the original F.E.A.R. first; I really wish it was available via digital distribution.

Mar

Nikorasu said:
FEAR2 is the shittiest shit that ever shat out of a butt and if you like it then that means you like SHIT.

Day one.

Same. Most anticipated game this year.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Who the fuck releases games on Valentine's? I am fucking broke this month. I wish I could make it to day 1.

PS3 demo sucked. Athmosphere was ok, but nothing special. It was pretty ugly and sounded like shit. Nothing new in the control department. Meh. Disappointed.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
DKo5 said:
Loved the PC demo. I forgot how great high res, FSAA, and 60fps feel :D

Same for me also, I've been really into console gaming these last couple of years but after playing Fear 2 on the PC It really blew me away, you get soo used to console visuals that you sometimes forget how much of an upgrade it is on the PC.

Day one purchase for me and the last time I did that for a PC game was HalfLife2.

K' Dash said:

Got this:

Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz
Nvidia 8500gt
4GB RAM

What resolution are you aiming to play this game at ?, how much are you willing to spend ?, if you don't want to spend too much I'd recommend picking up a second-hand 8800gt, it should be able to run this game maxed out pretty smoothly @ 1680x1050.

K' Dash said:

Got this:

Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz
Nvidia 8500gt
4GB RAM

Pick up an ATI 4830 for $90 and you'll be able to play any game out there smoothly.

destrosio

Neo Member
just too many... ghosts, or whatever. I feel confused playing it, not my cup of tea, really. back to GOF2 now. graphics on the 360 its kinda dramatic, though.

Nikorasu

destrosio said:
just too many... ghosts, or whatever. I feel confused playing it, not my cup of tea, really. back to GOF2 now. graphics on the 360 its kinda dramatic, though.

That expression is starting to get on my nerves. :|
But man so many complaints about the ghosts. It's a 30 second jaunt through a single hallway in a 10 minute demo. There is likely a faaaar greater focus on replicant combat in the final game. I'm sure it's occured to the devs not to overuse the horror elements.

Also, you're meant to be confused. That means it's working. ;)

Mar

destrosio said:

Cool avatar. Maybe one day we'll get a true sequel by Manfred Trenz. Here's hoping.

LovingSteam said:

Alan

I would get it day one, but SF4 + TE stick, Star Ocean 4 and RE5 a few weeks later is going to leave me on a tight budget for a while. So I'll probably pick it up at the first price drop or deal I can find.

Ywap

LovingSteam said:

Alan

I wouldn´t want it even if i got it for free. The demo is a disgrace to the once highly regarded F.E.A.R brand.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
LovingSteam said:

Alan

I'll buy it used when it's around $20. It's my first disappointment of the year.

How the mighty have fallen...

Durandal

Banned
Troidal said:
The mech was in F.E.A.R.1 too so now you can finally get to control one. Plus it's very Monolith style, like Shogo :)

Shogo. I played the heck out of that game. Monolith did some pretty incredible games. Think im gonna reinstall Tron 2.0 now. Oh, and the Demo feels solid. I did not loke Fear 1 at all, but this one got me interested.

Top Bottom