• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

fail0verflow - PS3 Private Key + PSP Key + PS3's Blu-Ray Key found, FW 3.50 decrypted

Slavik81

MarkMclovin said:
I don't know why this worries me, but it does. Are we likely to see multiplayer games full of cheaters now?
I don't see why you would. The PC is an open system and it's been years since I last saw a cheater.

Dead Man

I will never take advantage of this, but I'm all in favour of things that give people moire control over what they have bought. Schadenfreude is not an insignificant part of my enjoyment too. :D

aaaaa0

UntoldDreams said:
Yes they can. The PS3 is a computer and it can easily handle multiple keys.

Ultimately, as you stated the PS3 system is now OPEN like a PC.

I am agreeing with you on that and I'm just telling you that the PC world has a lot of techniques to deal with DRM which Sony has NOT had to use yet. However, I think they are going to be adopting these techniques VERY quickly. They don't have much choice right?

Look your computer right now has the public keys from Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, etc etc etc all over the planet in the browser as we speak. The browser was designed to handle this.

If Amazon's private keys were unlocked you could see everyone's Amazon credit card right? That does not compromise Apple or Microsoft their stuff is still locked down. Sony in essence will spin off a new Encryption system akin to having a second DRM "entity".

The point is Sony will incur extra work, extra cost, extra everything because they will have to keep LEGACY stuff running on the old keys so things don't break... But they can absolutely create a new system and simply force everyone who connects ONLINE or uses a new BLU-RAY disc to update.

What you're suggesting doesn't solve the problem. The problem is that Sony's private signing key is now public. That means anyone can create an executable that your PS3 thinks is a legitimate Sony-signed executable.

This is akin to someone stealing Amazon's private SSL key. This means they can pretend to be Amazon, and neither your browser nor you would be able to tell that they're not Amazon.

Sony is in a big bind here. If they revoke the old key, then none of the old games will work. If they leave the old key alone, then anyone can sign something as Sony, and any PS3 will accept that signature as legitimate. Including firmware that bypasses piracy checks. Or game executables with cheats hacked in.

If they revoke the old key and then implement a white list to do a secondary hash check on executables signed with the old key, people can still downgrade the firmware because the PS3 doesn't have a working anti-downgrade check, unlike the 360.

IMHO the only solution is a hardware revision. New games will be signed with a new key. New PS3s will use the new key, and a whitelist for old games. New PS3s will need to have a working anti-downgrade check.

I'm pretty sure existing PS3s will be unfixable though they'll probably try to hack something into the firmware to at least check new games against the new key (even if bootloader/firmware updates can't be made totally secure).

Slavik81 said:
I don't see why you would. The PC is an open system and it's been years since I last saw a cheater.

I have to say you've got off pretty lucky.

I see people blatantly wallhacking / speedhacking / aimbotting on TF2 at least a couple of times a month, although I tend to play on servers where there are active admins so they can be dealt with.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
ElFly said:
There are strong mathematical reasons which say this shouldn't be possible. That's the epic part (IMHO).
Maybe they didn't use prime numbers to generate the keys? :p

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I'm probably being naive but don't these hackers realise the potential consequences of their actions? why do they do this shit?, I'd honestly feel too guilty myself thinking about potential job loses and effect it has on developers and consumers etc

Dead Man

lowrider007 said:
I'm probably being naive but don't these hackers realise the potential consequences of their actions? why do they do this shit?, I'd honestly feel too guilty myself thinking about potential job loses and effect it has on developers and consumers etc
I bet people that work in knife factories feel the same way...

RJT

lowrider007 said:
I work for an IT company. My company makes software that automates tasks, making it possible for our costumers to fire people. I don't feel guilty.

JardeL

Is it possible to create a custom GameOS from now on? Also I wonder if it is legal to hack security systems. It would be nice to see " You have earned a tropyh. Prison ". :lol

Clipper

As one of the guys working on one of the bigger USB Loaders for Wii, I can say that I don't feel guilty for what people do with it, but I do despise them for it. We veto any new feature proposals that can only be used for piracy, though, as none of the developers on the current team condone it.

We can't stop the users pirating, but if there is a valid benefit for non-pirates, I see it as useful to provide it to those that can use it responsibly.

Oh, and it's also fun to play with the idiot pirates sometimes. I love receiving complaints about the pirate trap I added to the IOS236 Installer as it's nice to deal some relatively harmless retribution to those not using the software for its intended use.

This is really funny.

This is nowhere near the end of the ps3.

Piracy will still be very difficult (Big game sizes. No proper HDD Loader.)

Vinci

Danish
lowrider007 said:

Consider it as motive for Sony to pursue ongoing improvement in its ranks 'cause this mistake was pretty shoddy.

Subliminal said:
This is really funny.

This is nowhere near the end of the ps3.

Piracy will still be very difficult (Big game sizes. No proper HDD Loader.)
You can run games off the HDD already, and game sizes are mostly around 10GB -- the only 'big' games I know of are FF13 and God of War 3 which both are 40GB or something like that.

quetz67

Banned
Give me a Wii emulator that reads orignal Wii discs and uses Move of course.

That's all I can think about what I would want from this. Not because I cant afford a Wii, just to save space.

hteng said:
there were already cheaters even before the system was open, i don't get bother by it, just jump to another game room. In the end of the day, it's just a game. you can always play local games or private games.

Not many and I'm sure are easily found. But being able to easily cheat on MP games on your PS3 will produce a large wave of mother fuckers who will have a laugh doing it.

Secondly, it's easier to find a lobby/server that will have legit players on the PC. And the servers run tools that find people with exploits. Do the servers for console games have the same tools?

N.A

Banned
quetz67 said:
Give me a Wii emulator that reads orignal Wii discs and uses Move of course.

That's all I can think about what I would want from this. Not because I cant afford a Wii, just to save space.

Dolphin is being ported but it's probably going to run pretty slow. And Move support doesn't need to be added, PS3 supports bluetooth devices.

Valru said:
Ugh, missed most of it. Saw the linux terminal working but it buffered during the questions so I missed most of that. From what I did hear of the questions though marcan (?) said the plan was to release a firmware update that essentially replaces the game side of things with Linux and he also reiterated the fact that its not an exploit but an epic fail as Sony effectively gave away the private key mathematically so they don't have to exploit anything, just sign stuff.

N.A

Banned
Mailenstein said:
I saw marcan for a minute... Did I miss the whole thing?

He showed linux being booted on a PS3 with no jailbreak that had been flashed with a bootloader. Release, tools and documentation within one month.

JADS

Mailenstein said:
I saw marcan for a minute... Did I miss the whole thing?

It was a short demo. Showed a SSH session into a slim PS3, since they couldn't access the video ram yet :lol What is interesting is that in around a months time Linux should be available on the PS3 by just downloading a pup file.

kitch9

Banned
darkwing said:
they can just patch the online game to run on new keys

Hackers can now write programs that circumvent this requirement and have them running in memory whilst the game is running.

12 year old fat kids with loud mouths and aimbots running rife, with no server admin to stop them.

Awesome.

N.A

Banned
JardeL said:
A year ago, when it was possible to use Linux no one cared about it. But now, people say yay, smh.

The demo of linux isn't the significant thing (marcan released a version of AsbestOS months ago that worked better than this example). The fact that they can write what they want to the flash and the PS3 boots it is.

JADS said:
It was a short demo. Showed a SSH session into a slim PS3, since they couldn't access the video ram yet :lol What is interesting is that in around a months time Linux should be available on the PS3 by just downloading a pup file.
Too bad I missed it live, but I will catch up via YT later. Thanks for the info tho, mate :).

darkwing

kitch9 said:
Hackers can now write programs that circumvent this requirement and have them running in memory whilst the game is running.

12 year old fat kids with loud mouths and aimbots running rife, with no server admin to stop them.

Awesome.

nah, patches can just look for this programs, much like the PC

ConayR

aaaaa0 said:
Sony is in a big bind here. If they revoke the old key, then none of the old games will work. If they leave the old key alone, then anyone can sign something as Sony, and any PS3 will accept that signature as legitimate. Including firmware that bypasses piracy checks. Or game executables with cheats hacked in.

If they revoke the old key and then implement a white list to do a secondary hash check on executables signed with the old key, people can still downgrade the firmware because the PS3 doesn't have a working anti-downgrade check, unlike the 360.

Actually I don't think that ppl will be forced to downgrade ever again dude. One of the slides (third vid, 1:55) is listing all the levels of code and whether they are updateable and revocable. The chain goes like this: bootldr -> lv0 -> metldr loading lv1ldr loading lv1 -> other stuff. They said this chain is busted due to second read and validation on that second read which also indicated that they can bait and switch lv0 lv1ldr and lv1 code at will. And since decryption starts with lv1ldr and you can run something underneath it, whatever changes in firmware security Sony comes up with, they can decrypt, analyze, change and repackage as "vanilla" firmware.

N.A

Banned
kitch9 said:

Awesome.

Microsoft has dealt with this well with the JTAG exploit. They remotely upload code to your system whilst you are connected to live that checks for anything that shouldn't be there and anyone with a JTAG'd console is banned within a couple of hours. Unless there is some amazing way they can hide every piece of homebrew on a system and prevent Sony from detecting anything that shouldn't be in RAM Sony should be able to detect cheaters.

The way I see it going:

Offline Play/Piracy: Cat & mouse but Sony won't permanently shut the door.
PSN: Cheating for a couple of months but Sony will eventually stop people going online.

Dead Man

kitch9 said:

Awesome.
That's why local MP is superior.

kitch9

Banned
Dead Man said:
That's why local MP is superior.

I could not give a toss about local mp.

Where the fuck would I find 24 players and a network big enough to have a game of BFBC2?

How the fuck would I organise it at 10pm at night when I just got the urge to have a quick couple of rounds?

Dead Man

kitch9 said:

Where the fuck would I find 24 players and a network big enough to have a game of BFBC2?

How the fuck would I organise it at 10pm at night when I just got the urge to have a quick couple of rounds?
:lol Holy shit, chill out man!

darkwing

kitch9 said:

calm down, patches are the key, PSN isn't hacked yet

darkwing said:
calm down, patches are the key, PSN isn't hacked yet
Well, Sony can't patch this, mate. And as far as PSN goes, it won't be a problem to go online, even with a modified game image. It's gonna happen and we all know that.

Mr_Brit

Banned
You people need to relax and stop worrying about PSN being compromised.

Sony can and will detect hacked systems that are connected to PSN and will ban consoles and possibly PSN accounts as well.

Hacked JTAG 360s are banned within hours of connecting to Xbox Live.

quetz67

Banned
N.A said:
Dolphin is being ported but it's probably going to run pretty slow. And Move support doesn't need to be added, PS3 supports bluetooth devices.
Thanks for the info.

I thought the devs were limited to a rather limited API and now can use the full power of PS3?!

anyway, would be great if they get it running in SD and at least close to original framerate.

darkwing

Mailenstein said:
Well, Sony can't patch this, mate. And as far as PSN goes, it won't be a problem to go online, even with a modified game image. It's gonna happen and we all know that.

lots of ways to check when you are online, same as the JTAG story

Mr_Brit said:
You people need to relax and stop worrying about PSN being compromised.

Sony can and will detect hacked systems that are connected to PSN and will ban consoles and possibly PSN accounts as well.

Hacked JTAG 360s are banned within hours of connecting to Xbox Live.
Comparing the 360 (even jtagged) and PS3 is the mistake you are doing here.

darkwing said:
JTAG lets your 360 run unsigned code, so the game will still be unsigned and therefore different to a real copy. This hack presumably will let you sign your games, so the game will be exactly the same as a real copy.

darkwing said:
I'm really not pro online hacking, but what does let you believe Sony can win this? There is always a way around and there will be for PSN@PS3. People also said "You flash your PSP, you loose PSN access.". And then PSNlover/-fucker came around the corner.

darkpaladinmfc said:
JTAG lets your 360 run unsigned code, so the game will still be unsigned and therefore different to a real copy. This hack presumably will let you sign your games, so the game will be exactly the same as a real copy.
Exactly.

darkwing

darkpaladinmfc said:

as i said lots of ways, Sony can use a whitelist with a secondary hash check on executables on your running game etc...

test_account

XP-39C²
Mailenstein said:
I'm really not pro online hacking, but what does let you believe Sony can win this? There is always a way around and there will be for PSN@PS3. People also said "You flash your PSP, you loose PSN access.". And then PSNlover/-fucker came around the corner.
It's always possible to include cd-keys. This wont be used for offline gaming, but it is needed for online gaming. Some PS3 games already have this (mostly to battle used game sales), like Medal of Honor, so it is possible. I dont think that this will be the first solution that is chosen, but if everything else fails, cd-keys is a solution at least.

Top Bottom