• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

fail0verflow - PS3 Private Key + PSP Key + PS3's Blu-Ray Key found, FW 3.50 decrypted

test_account said:
It's always possible to include cd-keys. This wont be used for offline gaming, but it is needed for online gaming. Some PS3 games already have this (mostly to battle used game sales), like Medal of Honor, so it is possible. I dont think that this will be the first solution that is chosen, but if everything else fails, cd-keys is a solution at least.
As far as piracy goes, yes. I'm sure there will be people which will buy the game for the key only, but play an modified iso. It's gonna be ugly and that's the part I really dislike about this situation.

pixelbox

Alright, big questions from me to those who could answer them:

1.So basically this allows the one's that have access to the hack the ablility execute any program?
2.If that's so then where would the programs come from? I thought the Cell was hard to program for.
3.Do they have access to the GPU?
4.What could be done about this? I'm aware that this question was answered a couple pages back but it's still no crystal clear to me. So we have A.White list, B.New key generator, C.Use PSN, D.hardware revision.
5.Out of those which is the best method?
6.Will PSN ever be in danger of a hack?
7.Is there a perment fix that would not render everything including games useless?
8.Viruses. What could be done about them. Are they a real threat?

I was thinking, and Sony could make it harder for the user to open their system by ways of perks. They could start to sell their own apps that you can't get anywhere else that isn't buggy and are tested. Things like PS2 emulation and better browsers...hmmm

koji

Oh man, I'm going all soft; in the dark ages a champion of the people was a warrior with an axe, in the digital age we get guys like this. :D

Seriously, respect! Shame a lot of people in this thread can't see past PSN, piracy and kids cheating in mp... It's not about that folks, it's about STICKING IT TO THE MAN! :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
Mailenstein said:
As far as piracy goes, yes. I'm sure there will be people which will buy the game for the key only, but play an modified iso. It's gonna be ugly and that's the part I really dislike about this situation.
That is true, i didnt think about that :) But i guess that it will lead to less potential cheating at least compared to if you can just download any game and play online without any problems.

pixelbox said:
2.If that's so then where would the programs come from? I thought the Cell was hard to program for.
2. I think what is most difficult with programming for the Cell is if you want to take full advantage of the SPEs. More simple homebrew apps probably doesnt need the SPEs to run good.

8. When running homemade code that hasnt been checked by anyone, virus etc. could be a realitly. But i dont think that this will be a big threat in the big picture.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
darkwing said:
as i said lots of ways, Sony can use a whitelist with a secondary hash check on executables on your running game etc...

yeah but then someone will MITM the secondary hash check on a legit game and spoof that as well.

darkwing

koji said:
Oh man, I'm going all soft, in the dark ages a champion of the people was a warrior with an axe, in the digital age we get guys like this. :D

Seriously, respect! Shame a lot of people in this thread can't see past PSN, piracy and kids cheating in mp... It's not about that folks, it's about STICKING IT TO THE MAN! :lol
revenge of the hipsters? :lol

N.A

Banned
pixelbox said:

1.So basically this allows the one's that have access to the hack the ablility execute any program?
It allows any currently available PS3 to run any program.
pixelbox said:
There is a leaked SDK and an Open SDK. There's already loads of homebrew available.
pixelbox said:
Yes.
pixelbox said:
4.What could be done about this? I'm aware that this question was answered a couple pages back but it's still no crystal clear to me. So we have A.White list, B.New key generator, C.Use PSN, D.hardware revision.
Only a hardware revision in addition to a whitelist would permanently disable it.
pixelbox said:
Yes, but online cheating is much easier to detect.
pixelbox said:
7.Is there a perment fix that would not render everything including games useless?
Not for any PS3 currently available.
pixelbox said:
Unless your installing stuff from an untrusted source, then no.

Shaneus

N.A said:
Update .pup's and the contents of them are all signed and couldn't be modified (without the PS3 detecting it) before this key was found.
Bit late, but does that mean any of the updates that Sony officially send out can be decrypted and (possibly) modified? That'd be awesome for me as a way to get the UK PlayTV features enabled on my Australian PS3. Don't know if the other things I was enthusiastic about (like NTFS support) are any easier but being able to (effectively) run homebrew/unsigned code on any box is pretty awesome news.

antiloop

Good news for pirates. But can't Sony start signing new games with another key and update the PS3 firmware accordingly? The old games run on the old key ofc.

darkwing

Shaneus said:
Bit late, but does that mean any of the updates that Sony officially send out can be decrypted and (possibly) modified? That'd be awesome for me as a way to get the UK PlayTV features enabled on my Australian PS3. Don't know if the other things I was enthusiastic about (like NTFS support) are any easier but being able to (effectively) run homebrew/unsigned code on any box is pretty awesome news.
it would be ip locked like netflix

N.A

Banned
antiloop said:
Good news for pirates. But can't Sony start signing new games with another key and update the PS3 firmware accordingly? The old games run on the old key ofc.

The problem isn't the games' keys, the only things these now accomplish is making sure a game is running on a firmware version that can decrypt them.

I can think of no way for Sony to release a firmware update that isn't decryptable by previous firmwares so the hackers will always have access to this process.

Zoe

I don't see any indication that this can just work on any PS3 by hooking up an external drive. A PS3 cannot natively recognize executables in that way. You would need a BD-R with either the executable or to install a hack to enable other methods.

BTW, for those suggesting a white list. Nintendo did that with the DSi when it first came out. It didn't take long before that was bypassed.

Not to mention that such a list would be pointless with the PS3, since it could be bypassed in mere hours and nobody would really be stopped. It only really worked with the DSi because it required vendors to release new models of their flash cards (and prevented old models from working)

Zoe said:
I don't see any indication that this can just work on any PS3 by hooking up an external drive. A PS3 cannot natively recognize executables in that way. You would need a BD-R with either the executable or to install a hack to enable other methods.

What about the PS3's ability to load firmware from a USB stick? That could easily be used to insert a file onto the HDD, or even load custom firmware...

N.A

Banned
Zoe said:

They are releasing a signed update.pup.

This is great news, since I don't play my PS3 anyway (apart from a bit of Singstar now and then) I hope this allows me to be able to transform it into an awesome media center.

N.A

Banned
Zoe said:
Then it's not going to work on an OFW PS3.

Yes it will. The PS3 will think it's a legitimate firmware update because it is signed and then can install anything. (In marcan's example a Linux bootloader but in the future CFW).

Of course people who already have jailbroken have it easier and can install a signed FTP app, upgrade to the latest firmware and use the PS3's built in package install feature by putting stuff in the vsh/ folder.

koji

Phife Dawg said:
This is great news, since I don't play my PS3 anyway (apart from a bit of Singstar now and then) I hope this allows me to be able to transform it into an awesome media center.

Exactly what I am hoping for, if they have full access to the RSX and CELL now it would be awesome if we get a nice CFW and XBMC support in a couple months time. You'll have a kickass media machine for $299.

I don't think something like this would actually hurt sonys hardware sales either... On the contrary.

Ronok

Zoe said:

Wouldn't it just work in the same way you install new firmware from a USB stick?

Edit: Beaten of course....

Zoe

Metalmurphy said:
Why not? It is signed.

Because once you install a non-official firmware that means it's no longer OFW?

Yes, you could go back onto official paths, but I would expect Sony to release more "security update" firmwares to kill the most popular hacks.

Ronok said:
Wouldn't it just work in the same way you install new firmware from a USB stick?

My contention is that people are going around acting as if stuff from now on will not require hacks or CFW to work, and that is not the case.

pixelbox said:
I was thinking, and Sony could make it harder for the user to open their system by ways of perks. They could start to sell their own apps that you can't get anywhere else that isn't buggy and are tested. Things like PS2 emulation and better browsers...hmmm
1. Yes.
2. There are SDKs you can use.
3. Yes.
4. Hardware revision
5. Hardware revision
6. Yes, but easier for Sony to sort things out.
7. No
8. Interesting question. For Wii there is a tool called BootMii which allows you to make a backup of your internal NAND flash memory. So whenever you fuck up something, you can go back. I expect something similar for PS3 anytime soon.

test_account said:
That is true, i didnt think about that :) But i guess that it will lead to less potential cheating at least compared to if you can just download any game and play online without any problems.
Hopefully, yes.

test_account said:
It's always possible to include cd-keys. This wont be used for offline gaming, but it is needed for online gaming. Some PS3 games already have this (mostly to battle used game sales), like Medal of Honor, so it is possible. I dont think that this will be the first solution that is chosen, but if everything else fails, cd-keys is a solution at least.

Can't wait to play with cd-keys, my favorite thing from PC gaming world!

Ronok

Zoe said:
Because once you install a non-official firmware that means it's no longer OFW?

Yes, you could go back onto official paths, but I would expect Sony to release more "security update" firmwares to kill the most popular hacks.

My contention is that people are going around acting as if stuff from now on will not require hacks or CFW to work, and that is not the case.

Ok, let me change that, if it's signed, couldn't you just run it in the same way you'd run a game downloaded from PSN?

Zoe

Ronok said:
Ok, let me change that, if it's signed, couldn't you just run it in the same way you'd run a game downloaded from PSN?

How would you get it onto the PS3?

test_account

XP-39C²
PetriP-TNT said:
Can't wait to play with cd-keys, my favorite thing from PC gaming world!
Hehe, i dont think that it will happend to be honest, but at least it will prevent some kind of piracy at least.

Mailenstein said:
Ethernet port.
Dont you need to jailbreak the PS3 first then?

CozMick

Banned
People who see this as a good thing or a step in the right direction clearly doesn't play online multiplayer.

Cheaters will run rampant. It's as simple as that.

What a great day for gaming :lol

test_account said:

You could always have an app running on a computer.

Use wireshark to see how ps3 updates are negotiated over a network. Have the app set up the routing information to make the ps3 think your computer is a Sony update server.

Once the app is fully developed:
PS3 requests update -> update negotiated w/ ps3 using one of your local computers as the update server -> ps3 sees the update is signed -> proceeds to update.

Zoe

BigNastyCurve said:
Do you not understand what has just happened?

If you've made changes to the firmware, it's no longer OFW. People are acting as if you could continue with OFW.

With the way OFW works now, you would only be able to run apps off of a BD-R.

starok said:
Care to explain?
test_account said:
I was about to answer it, but thanks mugurumakensei ;).

mugurumakensei said:

Use wireshark to see how ps3 updates are negotiated over a network. Have the app set up the routing information to make the ps3 think your computer is a Sony update server.

PS3 requests update -> update negotiated w/ ps3 using one of your local computers as the update server -> ps3 sees the update is signed -> proceeds to update.

NHale

test_account said:
Hehe, i dont think that it will happend to be honest, but at least it will prevent some kind of piracy at least.

It's already happening. If you want to play online in some EA games, you need to insert a code or buy it for $10, and Sony already did this experience with the last SOCOM released on the PSP. My guess is that this will be the first action taken by Sony. Then good luck trying to sell a game after using the code but I guess is a price that honest consumers have to pay, so others can use homebrew.

NHale said:
It's already happening. If you want to play online in some EA games, you need to insert a code or buy it for $10, and Sony already did this experience with the last SOCOM released on the PSP. My guess is that this will be the first action taken by Sony. Then good luck trying to sell a game after using the code but I guess is a price that honest consumers have to pay, so others can use homebrew.

And we all see what wonders this has done for the PC platform. I don't want to turn this into a PC vs Console debate on customer rights, but if consoles ever go this way it will contract the market significantly.

Zoe said:
If you've made changes to the firmware, it's no longer OFW. People are acting as if you could continue with OFW.

With the way OFW works now, you would only be able to run apps off of a BD-R.

I think now you're using a merely semantic distinction. CFW on the PSP looks, smells, and acts just like regular FW (or at least it did when I cared) except that it can run unauthorized code.

BigNastyCurve said:
And we all see what wonders this has done for the PC platform. I don't want to turn this into a PC vs Console debate on customer rights, but if consoles ever go this way it will contract the market significantly.
That's why you have services like Onlive appearing, but anyway. That's another discussion.

Zoe

BigNastyCurve said:
I think now you're using a merely semantic distinction. CFW on the PSP looks, smells, and acts just like regular FW (or at least it did when I cared) except that it can run unauthorized code.

Sony has less of an incentive to validate the integrity of a PSP's firmware. With the way the PS3 is supposed to always be connected, I can easily see them using PSN to sniff out unauthorized applications and firmware changes.

starok

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
then you set up a proxy server on your network and make the PS3 download a signed update.pup from somewhere it *thinks* is the official website.

What about changing the private keys to sign update files?

Man, Valve are going to mop up with Steamworks PS3. I can see developers and publishers running into its "lesser-of-two-evils" DRM arms right now.

test_account

XP-39C²
mugurumakensei said:

Mailenstein said:
I was about to answer it, but thanks mugurumakensei ;).
Ok, i see, thanks :)

intheinbetween said:
I guess that would compromise updates from disc as well
Not neccesarily i think. When installing firmware update from a USB stick, i think that the PS3 "asks" for this. I guess that it shouldnt be any problem to disable this feature, but still allowing firmware updates to be installed from discs.

NHale said:
True, i mentioned Medal of Honor PS3 myself earlier as an example :) But i ment to say that i dont think that cd-keys on PS3 will be a new standard because of this. As you say, it has already happend on some PS3 games, so it is possible that it will still happend again, but i dont know if it will be the norm, kinda like how it is on PC games. Time will tell though :)

Selling a used game shouldnt really be a big problem the way things works now i think. Of course, you might get less money for the game if those who buys it cares about online play, i guess this is what you mean, but it should still be possible to sell used games at least :)

BigNastyCurve said:
Personally i dont think that cd-keys will change much on consoles when it comes to consumers. Using cd-keys is a one time process, i havnt heard that this is a big problem with PC games at least. Stronger DRM on the other hand is worse, but just a simple cd-key check shouldnt be a big problem i think :)

Erasus

This is HUGE! We can sign code now, it will just think the program is from Sony. Awesome, cant wait to see what comes out of this!!

Top Bottom