• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

fail0verflow - PS3 Private Key + PSP Key + PS3's Blu-Ray Key found, FW 3.50 decrypted

loosus

Banned
human5892 said:
What they're suggesting is the use of a whitelist to stop modded code from going online -- nothing would prevent it from running locally on an offline PS3. It's obviously not a complete solution by any means, but it would at least prevent rampant cheating from hitting PSN.
Please explain. I cannot think of any realistic way this could work.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
loosus said:
Please explain. I cannot think of any realistic way this could work.
From earlier in the thread:

phosphor112 said:
Let me elaborate more on how that would work. Firmware update includes a new "digital signature" program. It compiles a list of all the software on your PS3 to be checked with PSN. PSN does a quick check (file can easily be less than 100kb). Even the slowest of connections can still do a check of that size.

Like I said, hackers can easily get around that check.. but that removes their online.
Note: I'm nowhere near technical enough to know whether or not this would work -- I just wanted to clarify what was being proposed.

androvsky

And what's stopping the hackers from writing a program that reports the signature for just a couple legit games taken from a wireshark capture of a clean system reporting to PSN?

loosus

Banned
Er, I guess he's talking about some kinda hash, and the way you get around that is simply sending a legitimate hash when it asks. :lol Sure, it might keep off some people, but then, these people wouldn't have illegimately signed software on their PS3 to begin with.

androvsky said:
And what's stopping the hackers from writing a program that reports the signature for just a couple legit games taken from a wireshark capture of a clean system reporting to PSN?
Thats what i was thinking. And the people interested in the first place would just research how tobwrite their own or someone woukd create a progran to do it for them.

-Amon- said:
I'm just hoping that these kids will steer away from online.
Someone always will.
Be it for the sake of profit or "war" (or whatever some hack sites call it after MS/Sony murdered their family)

androvsky

-Amon- said:
I'm just hoping that these kids will steer away from online.

Going online with cheats is the first thing a lot of people are going to do.

While we're at it, how did the old Punkbuster programs work? Obviously cheating was a major concern with online PC games.

ElFly

I need to read this to figure out how the fuck you implement public key encryption so badly that people are able to calculate the private key.

I know it's a meme, but figuring out the private key is really fucking epic.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
ElFly said:
I need to read this to figure out how the fuck you implement public key encryption so badly that people are able to calculate the private key.

I would quote your avatar but that's too cliched.

loosus

Banned
ElFly said:

Yeah, it doesn't even sound like they calculated every possibility even. I was thinking that maybe they got enough computing power together for an extended period of time to brute force it, but that's not what it sounds like from what little I've read about it.

androvsky

ElFly said:

Yeah, I'm REALLY looking forward to that article too. I don't think it's like HDCP, where someone cooked up an inherently mathematically flawed encryption scheme. It sounds like Sony used one of the best schemes out there, then completely screwed up the key generation.

The more I read, the more depressed I become. Not because I am against homebrew or back-ups and the like, but because it's bad news for developers and the last thing we need is kids cheating their way to the top online.

loosus

Banned
Here's a question: can a currently licensed developer let their license expire and just release software on PS3 as-is? :lol I guess they'd have to give up their official Sony SDKs at a minimum.

androvsky

loosus said:
Here's a question: can a currently licensed developer let their license expire and just release software on PS3 as-is? :lol I guess they'd have to give up their official Sony SDKs at a minimum.

Yeah, but they'd never get to publish for another Sony console again. They'd have to fight off a lawsuit; they might win, but they'd still have to fight it. And the other console makers and PC DD-services would probably blacklist them too.

edit: they might also have issues actually selling their software...

Donos

Or we see the failoverflow crew making another "keynote" where they state that they where wrong and this is not totally possible. Somewhere on the Sony HQ parking site a few new "employee developer" spots get created ... PROFIT.

soco

are the exploits out? if not, i'll hold off my excitement until then. it sounds like it's something that could be patched for future games, but would be difficult to do so, and hackers could probably still work around it.

if it's all true, then it's fallen before the 360 has fully fallen, which is a little surprising.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Too bad what these kids see as just another notch on their belt carries such a heavy negative weight to it. Sony can be thankful it took them this long.

androvsky

Donos said:
Or we see the failoverflow crew making another "keynote" where they state that they where wrong and this is not totally possible. Suddenly firmware 3.60 is announced with OtherOS restored with full RSX access with documented driver support.

More likely.

loosus said:

why would they do that?
Unless you're assuming a currently licensed developer isn't in on PS3 development for the money. If that's the case, then yeah...maybe...but again...

WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT?

loosus

Banned
Dreamgazer said:
why would they do that?
Unless you're assuming a currently licensed developer isn't in on PS3 development for the money. If that's the case, then yeah...maybe...but again...

WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT?

Selective reading at its best:
Here's a question: can a currently licensed developer let their license expire and just release software on PS3 as-is? I guess they'd have to give up their official Sony SDKs at a minimum.

Donos said:
Or we see the failoverflow crew making another "keynote" where they state that they where wrong and this is not totally possible. Somewhere on the Sony HQ parking site a few new "employee developer" spots get created ... PROFIT.
Yea because that worked when Marcan and the others hacked the Wii. Oh wait, it didnt.

test_account

XP-39C²
Cataferal said:
This is fantastic news. My PS3's Blu-ray drive has gone kaput (and I'm out of warranty), so to have a working ISO loader would mean my catalogue won't be going to waste.
Unless you have upgraded your PS3 to firmware 3.55, you can already do these things today. Just jailbreak (and downgrade if your PS3 firmware is at 3.42 or 3.50) your PS3 and you're set to go :)

Donos

androvsky said:
More likely.

But seriously i hope Sony already gave these guys the assignment to build the right security for PS4. Or deployed their Ninjas to silent them forever...

ElFly

Of course they can.

What they can't do is to sell the game announcing that is for the PS3 [sup]TM[/sup] cause then they'd go after them for copyright infringement.

N.A

Banned
Dreamgazer said:
why would they do that?

WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT?

Small indie devs still release commercial titles for the Dreamcast because no modification is necessary to play them and it's legal.

I'm not sure whether using this key would be illegal or not though.

androvsky

loosus said:

And if they sent back their official SDKs, they'd be either stuck using pirated SDKs (instant lost lawsuit), or using the almost useless open source tools.

Donos

LovingSteam said:
Yea because that worked when Marcan and the others hacked the Wii. Oh wait, it didnt.
Sorry, i don't know anything about this. Also the post wasn't really serious. This Marcan guy got hired from Nintendo ?

N.A

Banned
androvsky said:
And if they sent back their official SDKs, they'd be either stuck using pirated SDKs (instant lost lawsuit), or using the almost useless open source tools.

The open source toolchain has really improved in the last few weeks. Some emulators have already switched to it and there is even some 3D support.

This is a billion dollar business with a DIRECT security impact crossing licensing legal boundaries with partners all over Earth. Sony could get sued.

This WILL be dealt with as seriously as they can that you can bet upon.

That means whitelisting is probably ALREADY being considered/compiled for implementation and a new Private key will be developed for new content going forward.

Expect hardware revision as well.

Donos said:
Sorry, i don't know anything about this. Also the post wasn't really serious. This Marcan guy got hired from Nintendo ?
No. Marcan and Bushing both worked on the Wii homebrew scene and basically were the ones to hack it. My point was its possible they either have been offered positions and turned the offers down or the likes of Sony and Nintendo habe no interest in hiring them. Although there was a rumor Sony offered Dark Alex of the PSP a position since he just stopped all of a sudden but nobody knowd.

androvsky

UntoldDreams said:
This is a billion dollar business with a DIRECT security impact crossing licensing legal boundaries with partners all over Earth. Sony could get sued.

That means whitelisting is probably ALREADY being considered/compiled for implementation and a new Private key will be developed for new content going forward.

Old consoles have to be able to play new content. New consoles have to run old content. Still not seeing a fix.

And they better not implement whitelisting, because anyone who follows PSN store update threads knows that Sony has trouble keeping track of what's going on from week to week.

Phantast2k said:
It is exactly why they started to devote their attention to it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6CA4fqAdsc#t=3m

Sony is such an idiot :lol

I'm watching the presentation now, it's actually pretty good. I think their motivations are kind of... off, though. Linux on the PS3 was gimped to hell. No distribution was built using SPUs and the GPU was locked out (though they mentioned someone got it working). It was basically Linux running on a single-core PPU with 256MB of RAM in it's own isolated little area away from GameOS. I don't really think hackers would be happy with that if their goal is to have complete control of the system. I still think hacking the PS3 was an inevitability whether or not Sony removed Linux support.

KAL2006

Banned
I don't know what all this means, but let me know when I can play backup games on the latest firmware, play games online and access the PSN store.

UntoldDreams said:

I think a hardware version is the only way to fix it but look at how many PS3's are already out in the wild. We are already 4 1/2 years into this gen.

ElFly

UntoldDreams said:

Has a console manufacturer been sued before for not making their system pirate proof?

Seems far fetched, and I doubt Sony included it in their contracts to make it even a private contract breach thing.

OldJadedGamer said:
I think a hardware version is the only way to fix it but look at how many PS3's are already out in the wild. We are already 4 1/2 years into this gen.

Hopefully it, along with their third place and the failure of the Move, will make them release the PS4 soon.

loosus

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
How is a hardware revision going to fix it? New hardware has to be able to play old software.

The only way to "fix" it is to make new firmware and force everyone to buy new software. :lol

androvsky said:
Old consoles have to be able to play new content. New consoles have to run old content. Still not seeing a fix.

And they better not implement whitelisting, because anyone who follows PSN store update threads knows that Sony has trouble keeping track of what's going on from week to week.

Whitelisting is only required for content using old keys.
New content does not require whitelisting. Its a finite amount of work.

Old consoles continue to play old software with whitelisting + broken keys.
Old consoles must update to new Software Key to play new content.

Software key will be something hideously complex using Cell Math libraries. Can be broken eventually but every NEW game coming out will contain new software key. Unlike PSP which didn't have the math power to work with a strong key PS3 can actually make this effective.

** New consoles will have software key in addition to new hardware locking mechanism.

The strategy now with old consoles is "Hold off new content from being pirated for 2+ years". The idea of "protected forever" is gone. The new target will be 2+ years.

The strategy with new consoles is "Lock down with hideous hardware DRM" so that its hopeless. Add hardware features to make new consoles attractive versus old consoles.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ElFly said:
Hopefully it, along with their third place and the failure of the Move, will make them release the PS4 soon.
O/T, but failure of Move? Didn't they sell some stupid amount of them already?

ElFly

loosus said:
How is a hardware revision going to fix it? New hardware has to be able to play old software.

The only way to "fix" it is to make new firmware and force everyone to buy new software. :lol

Create a new private key. Double sign every disc, so old consoles are still able to play new software and pirated software

Whitelist the "legit" software and put the whitelist inside every new console. Run the old software against the whitelist, and the new against the new public key.

Still, if they find a way to forge the signature (so, if they manage to sign new software with one of the whitelisted signatures), they are still fucked.

Lord Error said:
O/T but failure of Move? Didn't they sell some stupid amount of them already?

Still behind Wii and Kinect.

androvsky

Zombie James said:
I'm watching the presentation now, it's actually pretty good. I think their motivations are kind of... off, though. Linux on the PS3 was gimped to hell. No distribution was built using SPUs and the GPU was locked out (though they mentioned someone got it working). It was basically Linux running on a single-core PPU with 256MB of RAM in it's own isolated little area away from GameOS. I don't really think hackers would be happy with that if their goal is to have complete control of the system. I still think hacking the PS3 was an inevitability whether or not Sony removed Linux support.

Linux development had the same access to the SPUs as game developers. Early on, one even mentioned that Linux had better tool support than the official game SDK did. There were a few efforts to port large chunks of code, including libc and OpenGL, to use SPUs. All those projects died as soon as Sony announced the Slim wouldn't have OtherOS support. The main linux distributions could use the RSX's memory as a high-speed swap file.

There was even commercial software for PS3's linux that used the SPUs for encoding h.264. Also died with the Slim announcement. It's not a coincidence that the hacking picked up about six months later.

N.A

Banned
infinityBCRT said:
If this would let me use Mame on my PS3, then I'm all over it. But I don't want to "jailbreak" or mod my PS3

There's already a port of Final Burn Alpha that supports Neo Geo, CPS1/2/3, Cave shmups & more at 1080p/60fps

ElFly said:

Considering the incredible losses the PS3 made for years on end, I think they'd love to actually make some money on the thing instead of releasing a new console and suffer the same losses again.

Which is why this is bad news for them and its developers.

But how bad do you guys think it will be in the end?

loosus said:

No.
Think about this.
Your original question was: "Here's a question: can a currently licensed developer let their license expire and just release software on PS3 as-is? I guess they'd have to give up their official Sony SDKs at a minimum."

1) Sony's Licensing process cost isn't exactly cheap and easy. I personally have not have heard of any "currently licensed developers" who paid for the licenses and intends to just give away their game/product for no profit. The low cost indie releases + demoscene release were sponsored by Sony, which means it's free to begin with anyway.

2)And 2nd, as N.A. has stated:

N.A said:
Small indie devs still release commercial titles for the Dreamcast because no modification is necessary to play them and it's legal.

I'm not sure whether using this key would be illegal or not though.

So again, why would any "currently licensed developer" need to do this? Those originally it for profit would stay licensed so they can have stuff be released on PSN. Those that got their license for free would most likely get to keep it that way as long as relations remains comfortable.

Don't get me wrong, this is great for indie devs who never could afford license/get Sony's attention, but I honestly don't understand why any currently licensed DEV would want to continue to develop PS3 material but without the legal comfort of a license (again, unless they intend to release without a profit.)

androvsky said:
Linux development had the same access to the SPUs as game developers. Early on, one even mentioned that Linux had better tool support than the official game SDK did. There were a few efforts to port large chunks of code, including libc and OpenGL, to use SPUs. All those projects died as soon as Sony announced the Slim wouldn't have OtherOS support. The main linux distributions could use the RSX's memory as a high-speed swap file.

There was even commercial software for PS3's linux that used the SPUs for encoding h.264. Also died with the Slim announcement. It's not a coincidence that the hacking picked up about six months later.

Ahh, didn't know that, thanks! Still, if their goal was to have complete control of the system they own (they say that specifically in the video) PS3 Linux didn't really do it, imho. The stuff that people started doing once the jailbreaking exploit was released goes well beyond what Linux would have provided. I'm not saying that removing Linux wasn't motivation to speed up the process, just that hacking the PS3 was an inevitability regardless if Linux support was there or not.

So if this eventually allows malicious behavior for others (easy cheating over PSN, software/blu-ray piracy), you [members of GAF] are ok with that for the ability to homebrew and run non-malicious programs?

Just a question to those going back and forth on all this. I don't play online much, but I'm fine w/ my console the way it is if it gives those that DO play much more than me a better experience online.

Top Bottom