• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame Wii U NicoNico Presentation - [game portion over]

I thought the new perspective and graphical updates were enough to make it worth playing it again(and again) Was really bummed they got rid of all of the neat extras from the Xbox version though.

Didn't really mind the controls either, although the camera stuff could be more intuitive than the system they used.

They basically remade the game using FF4 style. And that's fine, but I would have liked new areas and new events, but there were none of them. Or, actually I think they added an extra ending and redesigned some rooms, but still wasn't much.

I found controls annoying, and I was constantly fighting with them. Hopefully they will be better for FF5.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
They basically remade the game using FF4 style. And that's fine, but I would have liked new areas and new events, but there were none of them. Or, actually I think they added an extra ending and redesigned some rooms, but still wasn't much.

I found controls annoying, and I was constantly fighting with them. Hopefully they will be better for FF5.

Me too I found the controls not so comfortable in FF Crimson butterfly, while I liked them in FF4. Don't ask me why: the base was the same, but somehow they felt different.
And in general I liked FF4 more than FF2 (remake or original).

big_z

Yeah, trying to get a quick photo of a non-violent ghost walking around the corridor was a real pain in the ass. And please no more "hold A to get item with a chance for a scary hand grab". That shit was just time consuming and not fun at all (after a few times).

I had no trouble with the controls although they could have explained the combo system better. I had to look it up online.

I liked the ghost hands. they don't take long and are used for only select items, usually in places you'd be reluctant to reach into in real life. one of the best scares in remake is tied to a ghost hand event.

Fady K

they might have ran out of ideas the framework of the plot that makes this series is not very broad to begin with

you need a haunted house and some school girls suicide a ghost camera... how far can you really take that without getting recycled? Now with the Film coming maybe they had new writers and some ideas and the WiiU is new hardware but I would not expect much of a change

Good point but that is a challenge the developers must accept. It is their series and I'm sure they can offer more originality, especially in terms of plot and area designs. I did like the house aspect in FF3 and the village in FF2. Looking forward to seeing what they'll offer with this upcoming game.

The first location was new and I found it one of the best in the series. I was more disappointed with Fatal Frame 2 remake, since it didn't have enough new contents. It wasn't REbirth, that's for sure.

Controls are easily the worst thing about both FF4 and FF2re. I'm actually scared about how they could use the Wii U controller. It could be a mess.

The first location was great actually. It was by the end of the game where I felt *plenty* of deja-vu.

Yes, the controls were really poorly implemented and shockingly, the character STILL runs slow - ever since Fatal Frame 1 in 2002 I didn't feel an improvement in this area!

U guys know what if this game is able to go well, I am kinda having crazy imagination on Wii U becoming ultimate horror console lol.

Imagine new Clock Tower on Wii U. Or new Haunting Ground. How about new Silent Hill? Sega's Blue Stinger?

Or..... D? My favorite horror games on Saturn?^_^

Forget Wii U, I'd take a new Clock Tower on the iPad if that was my only choice, i'm that desperate haha. It has been 11 years without a clock tower game...really sucks! Haunting Ground was so good. I loved Capcom so much back then ;_; As for Silent Hill - I'm a bit worried about the future of the series as Konami are all over the place these days and seem to barely make anything new and interesting outside of their Metal Gear and Pro Evolution Soccer games. If you like horror games I encourage you to check out Outlast and the DLC Whistleblower - so, so good.

Me too I found the controls not so comfortable in FF Crimson butterfly, while I liked them in FF4. Don't ask me why: the base was the same, but somehow they felt different.
And in general I liked FF4 more than FF2 (remake or original).

I felt uncomfortable with both of them, maybe even more with FF2. And, yeah, overall I think FF4 is one of my favorites. Maybe it's that starting location, the new artstyle for the characters or the new camera.

I also remember Choushiro was fucking overpowered with his flashlight, lol.

I had no trouble with the controls although they could have explained the combo system better. I had to look it up online.

I liked the ghost hands. they don't take long and are used for only select items, usually in places you'd be reluctant to reach into in real life. one of the best scares in remake is tied to a ghost hand event.

Yeah, I was nearly in tears at the
temple
where they mess around with the ghost hand mechanic a bit.

Well yeah, it was mostly a graphical remake with some minor tweaks and additions but Crimson Butterfly was such a strong base unlike the first RE to where they didn't have to completely switch things around. Still, would have been nice to see more new areas of course. FF2 was my favorite horror game though so I was satisfied.

And I don't know, they didn't bother me. Just takes a bit to get used to the nunchuck/wiimote camera turning. Suppose you have a rather leisurely pace as well, do't realy need a sprint but running from enemies has an animation more suited to frolicking through a forest :p

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I felt uncomfortable with both of them, maybe even more with FF2. And, yeah, overall I think FF4 is one of my favorites. Maybe it's that starting location, the new artstyle for the characters or the new camera.

I also remember Choushiro was fucking overpowered with his flashlight, lol.

yes, probably the slighlty new artsytle and the first location were the best parts of the fourth episode.
btw, I really hope they'll push the gamepad integration, despite some "concerns": I mean, FF camear was one of the first things I imagined when they presented the Gamepad ;p
they could do as in zombi u, where you could help the gyro with the sticks too, so it's not that you have to rotate 360° in the space but still feel the immersion in using this interface.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I think Fatal Frame is a co-owned franchise by Nintendo and Tecmo-Koei...or is that worng?

Either way, can't wait to see what's in store for this game. One of the spookiest series out there.

Honestly we dont have the full details, theres something going on there but whatever.

Good point but that is a challenge the developers must accept. It is their series and I'm sure they can offer more originality, especially in terms of plot and area designs. I did like the house aspect in FF3 and the village in FF2. Looking forward to seeing what they'll offer with this upcoming game.

The first location was great actually. It was by the end of the game where I felt *plenty* of deja-vu.

Yes, the controls were really poorly implemented and shockingly, the character STILL runs slow - ever since Fatal Frame 1 in 2002 I didn't feel an improvement in this area!

Forget Wii U, I'd take a new Clock Tower on the iPad if that was my only choice, i'm that desperate haha. It has been 11 years without a clock tower game...really sucks! Haunting Ground was so good. I loved Capcom so much back then ;_; As for Silent Hill - I'm a bit worried about the future of the series as Konami are all over the place these days and seem to barely make anything new and interesting outside of their Metal Gear and Pro Evolution Soccer games. If you like horror games I encourage you to check out Outlast and the DLC Whistleblower - so, so good.

I think the film features the school heavily maybe this game does too but still I am not sure if this developer is as tech savvy as most people would like

they make a good scary game but can they make one that controls fine or can they push HD graphics? Can they find a way to tell a really good story?

we must all remember the reason Nintendo is able to keep this series is because it is niche and not a super AAA IP so we cannot expect too much from the developer

I kinda see this series as one level just below Dynasty Warriors look what those guys have been able to do and look at Hyrule Warriors with some help from Team Ninja

I think the Project Zero guys would benefit from some technical help with new hardware and new controls a lot can go wrong with this game. They can go the lazy route and this is just an HD rehash

I don't agree, I think Fatal Frame 2 Wiimake looked pretty great for the system all around. Nice textures for the environments and the character models were stellar. 4 had more poor textures and less realistic character models so there was a clear step up between the two.

Fady K

I think the film features the school heavily maybe this game does too but still I am not sure if this developer is as tech savvy as most people would like

they make a good scary game but can they make one that controls fine or can they push HD graphics? Can they find a way to tell a really good story?

we must all remember the reason Nintendo is able to keep this series is because it is niche and not a super AAA IP so we cannot expect too much from the developer

I kinda see this series as one level just below Dynasty Warriors look what those guys have been able to do and look at Hyrule Warriors with some help from Team Ninja

I think the Project Zero guys would benefit from some technical help with new hardware and new controls a lot can go wrong with this game. They can go the lazy route and this is just an HD rehash

From their game record I would think that they are not too tech-savvy myself. But when they made the 2nd and 3rd games I recall they looked quite amazing! The school location sounds interesting for the film.

I hope they can fix up their controls and improve the overall gameplay and plot with this one. As it has been many years since FF4, this game *must* show signs of a graphical leap, at least a noticeable one.

So it is pretty much confirmed that we'll get a look at the next game this Thursday?

yeah this should be the Game reveal

I don't agree, I think Fatal Frame 2 Wiimake looked pretty great for the system all around. Nice textures for the environments and the character models were stellar. 4 had more poor textures and less realistic character models so there was a clear step up between the two.

as in looks it is well above DW the art lends to that it is attractive but it does not look like it is pushing so much. I still don't see this developer as technical as one would respect say Platinum Games (to be honest I don't even know the name of the team that makes Fatal Frame titles)

My memory might need to compare it with say RE4 but how big where those environments in FF2R and FF4?
edit: also FF does not have the kind of gameplay to push 20 enemies on screen so I see it good looking = technical
would expect a very good looking WiiU title out of this when you consider the solo gameplay of exploring finding a ghost and creepy rooms
not going to push 100 zombies at you it should look decent

big_z

remakes controls were fine for the games pacing. sometimes switching to the camera could cause a directional issue but once you figure out how to avoid it things work smoothly.

someone mentioned in a previous thread that the new game and movie aren't related so everything is up in the air at this point. I think fatal frame 2s story is pretty good, one of, if not the best in a horror game. theres a lot of interesting and creepy lore, especially if you listened/read the files you collect.

I think fatal frame 5 will look similar to remake but with higher texture quality and modern lighting effects. It should run fine since it will likely be built on a newer version of the same engine.

ff2remake looks really nice. I also liked that the girls look like first year university students in it instead of creepy child mannequins brought to life like the original game.

remakes controls were fine for the games pacing. sometimes switching to the camera could cause a directional issue but once you figure out how to avoid it things work smoothly.

someone mentioned in a previous thread that the new game and movie aren't related so everything is up in the air at this point. I think fatal frame 2s story is pretty good, one of, if not the best in a horror game. theres a lot of interesting and creepy lore, especially if you listened/read the files you collect.

I think fatal frame 5 will look similar to remake but with higher texture quality and modern lighting effects. It should run fine since it will likely be built on a newer version of the same engine.

ff2remake looks really nice. I also liked that the girls look like first year university students in it instead of creepy child mannequins brought to life like the original game.

has any of these games been known for pushing many enemies at you at once?
that is not the point of the series right? it is more about exploring and moving the plot discovering the lore?

I just want to be clear when I say I don't think of it as technical and they can make it look good because the gameplay does not need 100 zombies on screen

TpHBaOv.jpg

this one might or might not be much older

Fatal Frame 3 was a bit weak compared to Fatal Frame 1 and 2. Especially 2, that was a god damn horror game masterpiece, up there with the Resi's and Silent Hills.

God knows what Fatal Frame 4 is like but please don't fuck this up TK. Alongside Siren its like the only survival horror series that still focuses on horror.

Fady K

Fatal Frame 3 was a bit weak compared to Fatal Frame 1 and 2. Especially 2, that was a god damn horror game masterpiece, up there with the Resi's and Silent Hills.

God knows what Fatal Frame 4 is like but please don't fuck this up TK. Alongside Siren its like the only survival horror series that still focuses on horror.

I may be in the minority here but Siren on the PS3 was one of *the* best horror games IMO. Need a new one in the series very badly.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Nintendo co-owns the publishing rights for Fatal Frame mask of the Lunar Eklipse, Fatal Frame 2 Crimson Butterfly Wii edition and Spirit Camera, probably because they helped with the development too (for FF4 they asked for the Grassoppher collaboration, for example).
But the Fatal Frame/Project Zero IP is fully KT owned
That means that N cannot develop a FF game, while KT can, even for other platforms, but cannot provide the FF2Wiimaker/FF4/Spirit camera games/codes to anyone without a deal with N

Nintendo co-owns the publishing rights for Fatal Frame mask of the Lunar Eklipse, Fatal Frame 2 Crimson Butterfly Wii edition and Spirit Camera, probably because they helped with the development too (for FF4 they asked for the Grassoppher collaboration, for example).
But the Fatal Frame/Project Zero IP is fully KT owned
That means that N cannot develop a FF game, while KT can, even for other platforms, but cannot provide the FF2Wiimaker/FF4/Spirit camera games/codes to anyone without a deal with N

Spirit Camera is Nintendo's IP.

Controls are easily the worst thing about both FF4 and FF2re. I'm actually scared about how they could use the Wii U controller. It could be a mess.

Yes, easily the top reason why I can't take ,,the gamepad makes so much senssse!1'' arguments seriously. They couldn't even get the most obvious flashlight controls for the Wiimote right, not to mention even come close to the amazing motion controls of Silent Hill Wii. And while I love motion controls, the gamepad is absolutely horrid for it. Waving this brick around is cumbersome, to say the least, while also breaking any kind of immersion. Hopefully stick controls are at least an option.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yes, easily the top reason why I can't take ,,the gamepad makes so much senssse!1'' arguments seriously. They couldn't even get the most obvious flashlight controls for the Wiimote right, not to mention even come close to the amazing motion controls of Silent Hill Wii. And while I love motion controls, the gamepad is absolutely horrid for it. Waving this brick around is cumbersome, to say the least, while also breaking any kind of immersion. Hopefully stick controls are at least an option.

Having played Zombi U I can't take "omg gamepad horrific" arguments seriously too :D
I hope they will offer the option (gyro + sticks) so everyone could be happy

Akhe

YES YES YES YES!!! Nothing stops the hype train!!

Nintendo, for the love of god, localise this game!! I want to believe!!

cacildo

Reading this on mobile with short lines of text makes you look really desperate...

...and I am too.

How is that possible? How did the horror genre died on consoles - the one place these games should really be a success?

I was even excited about "the letter", an e shop horror game, until I learned it's a three minutes game. ...

I may be in the minority here but Siren on the PS3 was one of *the* best horror games IMO. Need a new one in the series very badly.

It was the ONLY horror game last gen that actually made me scared and seriously fear the next chapter. Fatal Frame, earlier Resi's and Silent Hills all had that as well. I think theres a pretty good chance we get a new Siren after Gravity Rush 2 of course.

MilesTeg

Banned
I'm expecting this to be localized, simply because there aren't a ton of games coming to Wii U. Nintendo won't leave this one in Japan.

Oh lord please let this be localized. Survival horror has always been one of my absolute favorite genres and Fatal Frame was my favorite survival horror. The game is perfect for the Wii U. If there are any Nintendo employees here then please localize.

Top Bottom