• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First images of Red Faction 3: Guerilla

DaveKap

Banned
For anyone who is curious as to whether this is going to be in the final game or not...

Pause the video during the last shot they show of them using the ostrich hammer. You'll see weapon selection in the bottom right and the killboard in the top left. In both places you'll see an ostrich head in place of where there should be a hammer.

The code is most certainly there, it's just a question of if they'll ship it or not.

To be honest, considering the amount of bonuses the dude got when killing (anyone who played the beta last summer knows the higher your level, the more bonuses you get for killing) it seems like the ostrich would make a high-level, if not final level, unlockable weapon. A trophy to those who maxed out their EXP.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
lmao

i like how they were Nitpicking every single little detail..kinda like gaf :p

maybe they can quit being dumb and hire me like they should have done awhile ago

DaveKap said:
To be honest, considering the amount of bonuses the dude got when killing (anyone who played the beta last summer knows the higher your level, the more bonuses you get for killing) it seems like the ostrich would make a high-level, if not final level, unlockable weapon. A trophy to those who maxed out their EXP.

That's right, the exp system didn't really have any reward to it back in the beta, this would make a nice unlockable in their leveling system.

Danielsan

That video was hilarious. :lol
Seriously will buy Red faction 3 if the Ostrisch Hammer is in the game. I love how they took the joke and ran with it. Massive props to the Volition guys.

LM4sure

Banned
haha, that was funny. I still won't buy the game, but I like that they actually took the time to do some fanfare like this.

DaveKap

Banned
Upon further investigation (and a friendly poke from a Volition pal) you can also see some things on the whiteboard which further the April Fool's day joke.

There's an illustration of how you go from a hammer to an ostrich.

In huge text is "FS3 Release Date" with some red scribble next to it I can't make out.

SLOGANS
Earth side Mars side your side?
Vive la Mars
Even your favorite toothpaste? (I don't get this one)

Facts about Mars
- Red/Brown
- Population: 0
- GDP $0.00
- Natural resources:
Rocks
Red Pigment

Choose One:
Guerilla
Guerrila
Guerrrilan
Gorilla?
Guerrilla (circled)
Orangutan

In big text: "I (picture of a sun? Or mars?) MARS"

In text I can barely make out:
Plot Brainstorm
(stuff I can't read)

In the far back of the room:
YOU ARE ON MARS
(two text blocks I can't read)
YOU MUST DECIDE
(even more unreadable text)

There's even more stuff but I either can't read it or it's never in a still camera shot. I also might be wrong with some of the spellings above (like the guerrilla list) so if anyone else wants to pitch in that'd be great.

If said Volition friend (I know you're reading this!) could come in at the end of the day and clear up what else is in the vid, I know we'd all appreciate it! :D

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If that is there in the final game, I will support their product. Not only is it awesome that they did that but the game actually looks pretty cool. I had little interest only due to the lack of media I've viewed but the video coupled with awesome ostrich weaponry has made me a fan.

Bob White

Ok, that was fucking ace. Good job, Volition. Also, day 1. Was hyped since you guys first started releasing info on it.

Shiggie

TheKingsCrown said:
15o8d37.jpg
You deserve a tag sir.

Animal

Banned
The Volition video truly made me realize how much i love working in the gaming industry. :lol Awesome people.

also :lol @ summoner video. I don't even know what i just watched but i'm in tears from laughing so hard.

I was in that same office about a year ago being shown one of the first demos of RFG. It's crazy that the game's come all the way to this.

Big-E

That was awesome but I was saddened by the fact there were Freespace posters in that guys office. After this game Volition, devote everything you have to Freespace please.

Nafai1123

Banned
:lol Wow those guys have a great sense of humor and their delivery was top notch!

"Really?"
"...........fuck yea..."

and

"I'm doing the new sales projections."
"I thought you did those last week?"
"Well....*readjusts glasses* that was before we added the ostrich..."

actually made me laugh IRL :lol

newsguy

I watched the vid on my own and when I came to post about it I saw this thread got bumped. Throughout the entire vid the voice in my head kept saying "watch how GAF pulls a 180" Sure enough... They may be funny and witty, but I call them smart. In the other vid thread the game was getting unnecessary flak. After this vid we have people asking for the release date. My hat goes off to Volition, they will make you guys come for the ostrich but you will stay for the environmental destruction.

C4Lukins

It was a great video because it was funny on its own, outside of just referencing this thread. The part about adjusting sales estimates was perfect. I really hope the game turns out great.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
newsguy said:
I watched the vid on my own and when I came to post about it I saw this thread got bumped. Throughout the entire vid the voice in my head kept saying "watch how GAF pulls a 180" Sure enough... They may be funny and witty, but I call them smart. In the other vid thread the game was getting unnecessary flak. After this vid we have people asking for the release date. My hat goes off to Volition, they will make you guys come for the ostrich but you will stay for the environmental destruction.
Oh for sure it's going to boost sales by a bit and perk up interest.

I still wonder if they introduced some Fracture mechanics to it though.

Shawsie64

Banned
newsguy said:

I always like it, my non-gaffer friend on the other hand hates the game so much that he even thinks the ostrich is shit.
how you can hate so much without even playing the game beats me*shrugs*

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Man, this is why I love this industry... and how tight it has become with "the community".
Major props for the devs of doing this and being such a good sports about it.. and of course, it would be cool to have the ostrich as an easter egg or something..

Well played Volition..

Top Bottom