• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Soma Bringer [DS] trailer.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Actually, I'm mostly surprised at how fun the game looks to play. Monolithsoft's battle systems have always been really technical and long-winded, so it's interesting to see them working on something real-time and (seemingly) straight-forward for once.

jgwhiteus

Interest up - the Mitsuda touch for the music is definitely recognizable. The character designs are still pretty much on the generic side, but hopefully the writing fleshes them out a bit more (at least they have names now, instead of being the "Crono-looking guy" and "Sephiroth-looking guy"). As for the graphics, they sort of remind me of a good SNES/PS1 RPG, which isn't a bad thing (those were my favorite RPG systems, after all :p ) - what they lack in detail, they make up for with a bright color palette. I really hope they bring this one over.

I still don't really understand Nintendo's marketing "strategy" in showing the first trailer only two weeks before release. I'd understand if they thought releasing information later would ensure that gamers were still interested by the time the game was released, but it doesn't really seem to pan out that way. I hope it's not a cost-cutting measure, because it shouldn't cost much to post a few screenshots and developer interviews every now and then, or even some character information, setting details, etc. - I mean, does anyone know what the basic premise of the story is?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Woa, this game has somach to bring to the table.

looks awesome.

couldnt help myself

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Nice! Now I know that I can go into the optimistic territory with this one. Seems kinda Tales-esque, which I like!

A few more videos with the battle system in greater detail would be nice.

Oh, and a localization. That would be nice too.

Abel said:
The official site was updated with character profiles, keywords (which contain mini-videos! Loving the music!), battle (has a battle video!), and other sections to look at :D

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/ybsj/index.html

Thanks for the heads up. The zoom in doesn't seem to look too bad when in motion, although maybe that's the small size of the video speaking.

Here's the Gametrailers version of the trailer - it's higher quality and it isn't messed up in the first part like the Youtube video is.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30571.html?type=flv

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
Mashing said:
One thing is apparent. The animation is very good. I was impressed by how smootly everything animated.
I agree, looks really nice for 3d animation on a DS game.

Helzown

Yeah I was just about to say how impressive the animation was. It's piqued my interest a little, I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Avrum

Looks very nice. I never really understood the hate for this game that seemed to stem from the scans (well, the scans that weren't crap anyway) but seeing it in motion has raised my own expectations.

ivysaur12

Banned
Some of those animations are awesome, and the 3D looks great. It also seems to only zoom in at certain times (thank god).

Oh, and the main theme is fantastic. Please localize this, Nintendo.

methodman said:
Did Nintendo purchase Monolith? Or is this the other one? or was there two monlith's? wtf is going on?!

There are two Monoliths.
There's Monolith Soft who makes RPGs like the Xenosaga series and Baiten Kaitos. Nintendo bought them.

There's also Monolith Co. that makes FPS games.

methodman said:
Did Nintendo purchase Monolith? Or is this the other one? or was there two monlith's? wtf is going on?!

Nintendo purchased Monolith Soft, known for the Baten Kaitos and Xenosaga games. Before they were a company, most of the team worked on Xenogears and Chrono Cross for Squaresoft. Monolith Soft is making Soma Bringer.

The other Monolith you're thinking of is Monolith Productions, a western company known for making F.E.A.R. and Sega's Condemned.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
BudokaiMR2 said:
In before duckroll?

Doesn't it go that if he comes out of his cave and likes the trailer we get 3 more weeks of winter or something?
:lol

Something like that.

ethelred

I'll admit, I'm actually a bit in shock here. I also just saw a video for Super Robot Wars OG Saga (I didn't know there were any), which, visually, looks pretty incredible in motion. Again, it's the fantastic animation. So now in one night I see trailers for two Monolith Soft games that looked absolutely skanky and trashy in scans and screens and are actually surprisingly solid. I don't know what to make of it. I guess they know what they're doing on the DS after all.

ethelred said:
I'll admit, I'm actually a bit in shock here. I also just saw a video for Super Robot Wars OG Saga (I didn't know there were any), which, visually, looks pretty incredible in motion. Again, it's the fantastic animation. So now in one night I see trailers for two Monolith Soft games that looked absolutely skanky and trashy in scans and screens and are actually surprisingly solid. I don't know what to make of it. I guess they know what they're doing on the DS after all.

To be fair, neither game is out yet so we're still unclear of the quality of said titles. But I have heard good things about Soma Bringer. I eagerly await first reviews.

batbeg

Music is absolutely beautiful. The game looks much better in motion, and perhaps a bit more involving and in-depth than I was daring to hope. Hopefully it'll be a pretty good effort all in all.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
ethelred said:

To be fair, I really liked how Namco X Capcom looked from the first video, and well...

ethelred

Man God said:
To be fair, I really liked how Namco X Capcom looked from the first video, and well...

I said nothing about the quality of either game. But on a technical level, they're looking really impressive -- even OG Saga.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
ethelred said:
I said nothing about the quality of either game. But on a technical level, they're looking really impressive -- even OG Saga.

True enough.

Also there is no way Soma Bringer fails. Crono looking dude and Sephiroth looking dude, plus someone with a giant sword?

Sales++.

Monk

Banned
More more i see of this game, the more it looks like what we should have got instead of Seiken Densetsu 4. So there is really hope for the wrongs of generations past. PS a big fu to SE for screwing up Secret of Mana on DS.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
AceBandage said:
That seems to be pretty common with Monolith's games.
I've personally loved them.

that looks hot. I generally like MLSI's games, so I'm there day one!

zurra

i've loved their games so far, and this looks like it will continue the trend. the music in the middle (everything without the female vocals) reminded me a lot of sakimoto though, which isn't a bad thing. i hope the soundtrack is as awesome as that sample.

the mugen no frontier trailer looked ridiculous, bouncing off walls for insane combos! :lol :lol the interview/preview could have used some KOS-MOS, though!

ITA84

Monk said:
More more i see of this game, the more it looks like what we should have got instead of Seiken Densetsu 4. So there is really hope for the wrongs of generations past. PS a big fu to SE for screwing up Secret of Mana on DS.

I really hope this turns out to be as good as Seiken Densetsu 2 or 3, gameplay-wise.

duckroll

Looks fucking hot. Glad I preordered this the other day. Totally going to dig this. MONOLITHSOFT REDEMPTION IS HERE! :D

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Xelinis said:
Have Takahashi and Saga been confirmed as the creative team or is it still just speculation?
I can't remember if it was confirmed or not. duckroll had a post up about it but I can't seem to find it anymore.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
duckroll said:
Looks fucking hot. Glad I preordered this the other day. Totally going to dig this. MONOLITHSOFT REDEMPTION IS HERE! :D

Fuck.

3 more weeks of winter. =(

duckroll

There are 7 videos on the official site. They all look really good, but some people have been unable to view them. I managed to nab all the 7 .swf files from the site, but if anyone has advice on how I can convert them to avi or wmv and then upload to youtube, I'm all game. If someone else wants to up it to youtube that'll be great too. They show off some awesome backgrounds and some battmes. :D

batbeg

duckroll said:
There are 7 videos on the official site. They all look really good, but some people have been unable to view them. I managed to nab all the 7 .swf files from the site, but if anyone has advice on how I can convert them to avi or wmv and then upload to youtube, I'm all game. If someone else wants to up it to youtube that'll be great too. They show off some awesome backgrounds and some battmes. :D

Seven? I've only been able to find two under battle :( Where are the others?

duckroll

batbeg said:
Seven? I've only been able to find two under battle :( Where are the others?

Under KEYWORD. Each keyword has one video. The town BGM and "impending danger" BGM tracks are amazing. Totally XGish. :D

lsslave

Jew Gamer
I am looking forward to this game ^-^

I haven't actually played any Monolith games before :/ (was almost quit gaming before Wii DS revitalized my love affair with the gaming scene)

Top Bottom