• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Soma Bringer [DS] trailer.

duckroll said:
He can't confirm either if Takahashi is really working on the game or not. I guess we'll just have to find out next week.

based on the translated trailer i have no doubt that he is involved. his influence is really there imo.

Himuro said:
Just watched some vids of this, and it looks terribly boring.

yeah, it's nothing like lo, with its deep and emotional plot. i still have tears in my eyes....

ivysaur12

Banned
duckroll said:
- For battles you can actually toggle the Camera Zoom option on or off. There's another setting for Area Cursor which determines if the "starting position of the area cursor for ranged attacks" is near or far. He has no idea what the setting actually does based on the demo they got to play though.

Yay, now I can feel happy hyping this game.

Jiggy

duckroll said:
- He also says that while the game is probably going to take 20-30 hours for a single play (this is based on what was briefed by Nintendo probably, since he isn't actually playing the full game), the game isn't really about just playing once through.
Excellent! Replayability is pivotal to me. Not having it will never break a game for me per se, but I always tend to hate situations where I really enjoyed a battle system, character class system, etc., but the game is 60+ hours long and so linear that I'll probably never bother to experience it again.

Kenka

"Welt"

"Einsatz"

ROFLMAO

Nicht schlechter als infamous Sieg Wahrheit in Chaos Legion right ? Anyway, the most assholish character design ever. And a very very average story. Hype @ 0.

duckroll

ivysaur12 said:
Yay, now I can feel happy hyping this game.

Actually I doubt I'll be turning the zoom off. Based on the videos, the zooms are done very effectively, and the character animations are really smooth. It looks like dogshit in screens, but when you actually play an action game your eyes are focused on the movement and not the background.

duckroll

dermannmitdemcolt said:
i'm confused, based on this 3min trailer i'm still not able to judge the plot...all i know is this: if sb is really the next takahashi game, than there will be no problem. the man knows how to twist the cliches of this genre.

What are you talking about. French youtube doesn't lie. It sucks total. Hype 0 CONFIRMED! :lol

bigswords

Holy shit the animation and graphics are seriously top notch, its....its so smooth. I just wished that there was a online co-op rpg game with these animation and graphics on the DS.

dermannmitdemcolt said:
the man knows how to twist the cliches of this genre.

So is he deliberately challenging himself with this? Because, you know:

*The magical power that shapes the world is somehow going awry!
*Mysterious begins are showing up and stirring up shit!
*An amnesiac girl is found in a cocoon and adopted by the party!
*She has a mysterious connection to the magical power!
*A mysterious man shows up and drops mysterious hints about the mysterious identity and purpose of the mysterious amnesiac girl!
*Humans have committed a sin of some kind that probably involved a lot of hubris!
*There's a giant robot and it's gone crazy!

Kenka

DXB-KNIGHT said:
Do anyone know if the demo will be available on Everybody Nintendo Channel?

Very good question. The timing would be perfect.

Holy shit the animation and graphics are seriously top notch, its....its so smooth. I just wished that there was a online co-op rpg game with these animation and graphics on the DS.

True. In my very humble opinion they save the game so far. And wait for DQ IX.

i'm confused, based on this 3min trailer i'm still not able to judge the plot...all i know is this: if soma bringer really is the next takahashi game, than there will be no problem. the man knows how to twist the cliches of this genre.

I hope it's true. The materials are good enough, what still lakes is a good surprising awesome breathtakin' plot. But judging by what I just saw, the scenarists just didn't do the effort.

dark steve said:
So is he deliberately challenging himself with this? Because, you know: blabla...

my god...you know, in that whay i can talk down almost every jrpg story (even really good ones like fft). you guys are really funny. frustrated, but funny.

I was wowed by how good it looked in motion. The combat looks interesting as well. Mind you, the characters seem very JRPGish and I'm not sure if I'll have the energy to deal with that for a while.

Should I be hyped?

Still wondering if I should go ahead and import this one. It looks fun enough and I've been looking for something like this (i.e a real action RPG in the vein of a good Mana game) for ages. Rogue Galaxy was the closest that I've gotten, but Soma Bringer really reminds of of the good ol Secret of Mana.

duckroll

Magicpaint said:
Still wondering if I should go ahead and import this one. It looks fun enough and I've been looking for something like this (i.e a real action RPG in the vein of a good Mana game) for ages. Rogue Galaxy was the closest that I've gotten, but Soma Bringer really reminds of of the good ol Secret of Mana.

At least 5 people that post on GAF are going to be buying this next week, including me. Why not just wait for impressions if you're unsure?

robor

The scoring......the visuals.......the gameplay.........WOW. This was quite unexpected! Might consider delving into this...

duckroll said:
At least 5 people that post on GAF are going to be buying this next week, including me. Why not just wait for impressions if you're unsure?
You're right. I should probably wait (I thought you were the only one buying it, btw :lol). I just have a good feeling that this one is going to deliver what I want... but I'll wait it out a bit and see.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
duckroll said:

i'm considering importing. the only thing that's stopping me is my non-knowledge of japanese. does anybody know of a decent online translator. by 'decent' i mean better than google's.

I will probably import this game too, just in case this doesn't get localized...
I have faith in Monolith though, I think that after Xenosaga ep.II they've learned the lesson. Baten Kaitos II, Ep.III are some of the best RPGs of the old (?) gen.
Plus... Soma has Mitsuda, so nothing will stop me from getting this game, even if I won't understand much of the story^^

bigswords

What the heck? There's a 3 player co-op mode, why didn't anyone say anything about this?
Action RPG, good graphics, excellent animation, stuff to collect and/plus co-op? Alls that's left is the confirmation of it having online co-op.

Edit: Ahh my mistake, previous post had answered my question :(

WHY NINTENDO WHY???? Why is there no WFC, First Children of Mana , then Ring of fates, the Dungeon Explorer now this... :(

I just want a rougelike game which has co-op wfc (dungeon explorer doesn't count, it only has one dungeon to co-op).

I am going to go and download the demo after work. Will try and give impressions tonight as long as my internet isn't acting up still.

blu

BudokaiMR2 said:
I am going to go and download the demo after work. Will try and give impressions tonight as long as my internet isn't acting up still.
please do so.

dark steve said:
So is he deliberately challenging himself with this? Because, you know:

*The magical power that shapes the world is somehow going awry!
*Mysterious begins are showing up and stirring up shit!
*An amnesiac girl is found in a cocoon and adopted by the party!
*She has a mysterious connection to the magical power!
*A mysterious man shows up and drops mysterious hints about the mysterious identity and purpose of the mysterious amnesiac girl!
*Humans have committed a sin of some kind that probably involved a lot of hubris!
*There's a giant robot and it's gone crazy!

2q0vndi.jpg

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Ordered it. I know I won't understand too much of the story but the simple fact that it's an ARPG and I haven't played a great one in a long time made me do an impulse buy.

Hope I didn't make the wrong decision. Hopefully P-A ship it a day before so it'll arrive on the Friday.

bigswords said:
Duckroll have you started to play this yet? Is it something like Diablo (but local WIFI only?).

It's not out yet. Next thursday.

Ahh, I have to go to an actual station. It's not on the Wii channel.

I'll go to one before I eat dinner tonight, probably won't be able to post impressions till much later tonight.

I posted this in the other thread, but it's not even for download at the stations. You have to play on the demo DS in the store. Too bad my local store's demo DS is a pile of over-abused crap. :(

blu

keep them impressions coming, gaf, you can't make me.

if i only knew some japanese this game would've been long preordered.

Top Bottom