• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Soma Bringer [DS] trailer.

Diablos54

Wow, looks much better than I expected, the animation and battle system espically. Always good to have Mitsuda doing the music as well. 100% picking this up when an English release comes out. :D

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
B.K. said:
IF there's an English release.

There's no voice acting so the localization process should be pretty cheap relatively speaking.

duckroll said:
Yeah that's why everyone is happily playing Mother 3 in English now.

They just need to market it better!
Something like "Mother 3 stinks even worse than Earthbound!" then pack it with scented oils.

jarrod

Banned
duckroll said:
Yeah that's why everyone is happily playing Mother 3 in English now.
You've got it backwards... people wanted Mother 3. Recent reversals aside, nobody really wants Soma Bringer, ASH or Eternal Chronicle. Which is why we'll get them. :lol

It's out in 2 weeks?

Does Nintendo know ahead of time that one of their exclusives suck and not bother to market it in an attempt to distance their name from their own product? Why else would they not try to advertise some of them?

NintendosBooger said:
It's out in 2 weeks?

Does Nintendo know ahead of time that one of their exclusives suck and not bother to market it in an attempt to distance their name from their own product? Why else would they not try to advertise some of them?

Actually, in a recent interview Iwata said this would be a new trend. Many games wouldn't be detailed or even announced until a month or so before hand.
But, they are already advertising it in Japan, so that's good.

dark steve said:

man, fuck JRPGs. I hope the combat and music are good because I know the story is going to shit in my mouth.

ah, shut up. the beginning of xenogears was pretty generic and cliched too and we know how that played out in the end. i have faith in takahashi. the game looks really amazing and is already my most wantet game of the year...after mgs4 of course.

Jiggy

I don't know how we went from those early screenshots to this, but I'm not complaining. The music is pretty, the environments are beautiful, and the battles seem interesting. I still hate the character art and wish the camera never zoomed in during the battles, but those things are relatively minor if everything else is good.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wow, that certainly looks better than what initial pics had me believing, and combat just looks like it'll be tons of fun!

duckroll said:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/ds_station/touch_try/index.html#somabringer

Cool, it seems from the 21st, they're adding Soma Bringer to the Touch!Try!DS service in Japan. The demo will consist of a single dungeon and a boss, and you can pick any of the 7 characters to play.

Oh shit this is the Demo channel through wii????

I am hyped now. Definitely going to download it.

Or wait....is this just for DS stations? Either way I will check it out.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
please, bnamco, outsource the next tales to monolith, cherry on top and all?

blu said:
please, bnamco, outsource the next tales to monolith, cherry on top and all?

I've actually wondered about this. It would certainly be... interesting to have a Xenotales that would replace racist jargon with religious jargon.

Busaiku

Uhh, isn't 4800 much cheaper than the typical RPG release?
Aren't they usually 6800 (or is that just SE titles or something)?

Busaiku said:
Uhh, isn't 4800 much cheaper than the typical RPG release?
Aren't they usually 6800 (or is that just SE titles or something)?

Nah that is normal except for SE stuff on DS. SE stuff on DS is usually like 5500-5800 at first.

duckroll

I decided to make some background images from the videos:

2q3os9d.jpg

1zq96yf.jpg

2555kwx.jpg

2i27vyw.jpg

1iipau.jpg

nqsj8m.jpg

duckroll

Hey guys, it just dawned upon me that Soma Bringer is the first Monolithsoft co-owned IP ever! Xenosaga, Baten Kaitos and Namco x Capcom are 100% NBGI owned IPs. But ever since Nintendo bought Monolithsoft.... Soma Bringer is copyright Nintendo/Monolithsoft and SRW OG Saga Endless Frontier is copyright Monolithsoft for the game, NBGI for the Xenosaga and NxC characters and Banpresto for the series IP.

That's a pretty drastic change, I wonder if this means the studio actually has more freedom after the buyover to control their own games. Who knows, but I'm excited. Too bad it seems I'm the only one here excited! Oh well! I LOVE ME SOME BOMBAS! T_T

ethelred

duckroll said:
Hey guys, it just dawned upon me that Soma Bringer is the first Monolithsoft co-owned IP ever! Xenosaga, Baten Kaitos and Namco x Capcom are 100% NBGI owned IPs. But ever since Nintendo bought Monolithsoft.... Soma Bringer is copyright Nintendo/Monolithsoft and SRW OG Saga Endless Frontier is copyright Monolithsoft for the game, NBGI for the Xenosaga and NxC characters and Banpresto for the series IP.

That's a pretty drastic change, I wonder if this means the studio actually has more freedom after the buyover to control their own games. Who knows, but I'm excited. Too bad it seems I'm the only one here excited! Oh well! I LOVE ME SOME BOMBAS! T_T

That's awesome for them. So the next time they get dumped and sent packing to another company, they'll actually be able to keep developing the same series instead of doing their little wink-wink-nudge-nudge routine.

duckroll said:

I'm pretty excited for the game - I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a shallow dungeon crawler.

In Nintendo's current position, I doubt Monolith will get "dumped" any time soon. :p

Abel

My good friend Jinx translated and subbed the trailer if you guys want to check it out :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwJjVzcZ-KY

She also translated the prologue from the official site :)

Jinx said:
Soma Bringer

~Prologue~

A huge ring that wraps around the world---
The people underneath its warmth
sleeping, waking, living
covered by "Soma", a power that fills the atmosphere

--------------------------------------------------------

A world where an energy called "Soma" governs all...

However, in recent years, due to the balance of Soma crumbling,
mysterious life-forms, "Visitors", have appeared, which has caused
all the people who dwell there to live everyday in fear.

In order to subdue those Visitors,
a militant organization called "Pharzuph"was established

On an investigation deep in the heart of the large forest Junel,
a member of the Pharzuph 7th troupe
met a girl who had lost her memory, and---

duckroll

I'm pretty sure the organization investigating the Visitors are called the Fulves. Also, a retailer staff that has attented a Soma Bringer preview that Nintendo organizated for retailers has been posting tons of information on the game on 2ch regarding gameplay and answering general questions. I'll translate if there's an interest but..... looks like no one gives a shit. Oh well. :/

Captain N

duckroll said:
I'm pretty sure the organization investigating the Visitors are called the Fulves. Also, a retailer staff that has attented a Soma Bringer preview that Nintendo organizated for retailers has been posting tons of information on the game on 2ch regarding gameplay and answering general questions. I'll translate if there's an interest but..... looks like no one gives a shit. Oh well. :/

I'd love as much information as can be given on this game! Just a little over a week to go!

ivysaur12

Banned
duckroll said:

There is interest. At least, I have interest.

:(

duckroll said:

You will translate and post that shit immediately. >:/

duckroll said:

I would love to see these impressions. Are they good impressions? Does he like the game?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
BrodiemanTTR said:
You will translate and post that shit immediately. >:/
truer words have not been spoken.

duckroll

Here's a summary of some points that the guy has posted so far recently:

- He likes the direction of the events and story very much. The locations and events do a good job of drawing you into the game.

- The Pharzuph are kinda like the Jedi knights of the Soma Bringer world. As part of an entire unit, the game does a good job of making your character feel like you're part of an organization. Getting missions from HQ in towns, and interacting with the support staff, etc.

- Each character have their own personalities and quirks, and the game does a good job of showcasing it.

- For battles you can actually toggle the Camera Zoom option on or off. There's another setting for Area Cursor which determines if the "starting position of the area cursor for ranged attacks" is near or far. He has no idea what the setting actually does based on the demo they got to play though.

- He also says that while the game is probably going to take 20-30 hours for a single play (this is based on what was briefed by Nintendo probably, since he isn't actually playing the full game), the game isn't really about just playing once through.

- There are a lot of questions he really has no answer to based on the time he spent on it and the information given. He can't confirm either if Takahashi is really working on the game or not. I guess we'll just have to find out next week.

I have also decided to bite the bullet on this one. I will post impressions at least and maybe translate something if I run over anything interesting.

duckroll

I'll be creating the official thread this Friday unless someone else wants to take a shot at it. I'll fit all the information we know about the game so far in nice concise sections.

duckroll said:
- He also says that while the game is probably going to take 20-30 hours for a single play (this is based on what was briefed by Nintendo probably, since he isn't actually playing the full game), the game isn't really about just playing once through.

Does this mean the game will have a lot of "DO IT NOW OR YOU'LL NEVER GET IT" instances?

fuck :(

duckroll

Lolz I was reading on the Pharzuph on the official site, and it seems they're the anti-Visitor division set up by the main organization that controls all Soma Energy in the world called.... Secundadeians. Lolz demon names lulz.

Chris Michael said:
Does this mean the game will have a lot of "DO IT NOW OR YOU'LL NEVER GET IT" instances?

fuck :(

No, it just means the game probably has tons of optional stuff and rare equipment and loot that you'll keep playing to get. Considering there are 7 (or 8? hmmm) playable characters and there are minor changes in scenes based on who you picked to play as, I could see the game getting very replayable and addictive depending on how good the actual gameplay is.

Top Bottom