• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Gamerman1

Power restored in my community in Trinity, New Port Richey Florida. I was just about to take a cold shower in candle light too. Funny is I was reporting an outage as I didnt see the overlap onto my area on their website. I report it on phone then look at neighbors house and outside lights are on. I switch back on my breakers and boom. Hope it stays up and any spikes or drops from other restoration stay away. Consoles,tv,soundbar and cable modem are all on a big battery backup to help filter.

HercRaato

Ft Myers here. Eye went right over our condo. Ripped part of the wall off on the east facing side. Tons or trees down and snapped throughout the community.

We do have water but no power, and I can't get my generator running. We all survived, just living on tuna and bread or crackers. The wife's place of employment never lost power in estero, and the impact glass held up. She even went to work.

In Gainesville. My power is still out but lots of coworkers are getting theirs back. I do have water. Living on water, canned tuna, and green beans for now. Work is called off for tomorrow but I'm expecting to go in Wednesday.

Lkr

At my in-laws in Baldwin Park, brought the kids here to sleep cause they have power.
Got a Duke Energy call that power may be out for days.
Gonna go back home to Avalon Park soon to check if power is out. This sucks but if this is the extent of it I'm cool with it. My workplace in Research Park doesn't have power so I'm not going in tomorrow...
I have not been contacted by Duke yet. Left my house 2 hours ago and power was still out

I got my power back about an hour ago in Lawrenceville, GA. Internet is still down though. But I'm using my phone as a hotspot to use the internet on my desktop because I hate browsing on my phone unless I have no choice. Thank goodness for technology for allowing us to be able to do stuff like this.

I've heard that Doc's Beach House survived just fine and it's right on the beach where Bonita Beach Rd takes a turn to the North (NW corner of this pic). But it's hard to say for sure since there's definitely some waist-high flooding in areas of Bonita Springs and Naples.

7EwrZD3.png

Is 8-bit hall of fame OK? The owner is a chill dude And he had to close shop and leave. His shop is on Bonita Beach road towards the beach across from where the hotels are.

shandy706

Cable just went out here is SC. Power still on at my house, but my brother that lives literally 5 minutes away has no power.

Edit* Scratch that, cable back on....watching football.

sarcoa

Is 8-bit hall of fame OK? The owner is a chill dude And he had to close shop and leave. His shop is on Bonita Beach road towards the beach across from where the hotels are.
I love that store. Prices are usually competitive, and lower than eBay. Owner couldn't be nicer, too.

Dr. Worm

Banned
Cousin talked with the power company and was told it could possibly take a week to come back. Tavares seems like it didn't lose power, said that every restaurant there has crazy long lines.

Leesburg hasn't lost power, and the restaurants here are closing because they're running out of food. Guessing it's people driving south who evacuated, and people who lost power with nothing in the fridge.

I love that store. Prices are usually competitive, and lower than eBay. Owner couldn't be nicer, too.

I've dropped like $400s one year doing some shopping at his place. He gave me a free t shirt with Not Ryu punching Not Bison like it was Punch Out !! And it has 8-bit Hall of Fame on the back of it.

When I heard the hurricane was coming I was seriously worried for his shop. It's pretty close to getting hit by storm surge and I would hate to see the owner move he's soo nice.

witness

Lake Mary

Ahhh! I had just left there! We got there at 7:10 amd we got our food at 7:50, totally worth it though. Went back to the house, Orlando on the border of Altamonte and Maitland, but no power but we saw the power truck down the street at our broken transformer so it seems like they are working on it. They also did an automated message while we were at Taco Bell. Hoping beyond hope this place lights up any second.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Leesburg hasn't lost power, and the restaurants here are closing because they're running out of food. Guessing it's people driving south who evacuated, and people who lost power with nothing in the fridge.
Ah yeah, she went to the Chinese restaurant near the mall and said the line went up to the mall. She left once she saw how long it was.

Lkr

Ahhh! I had just left there! We got there at 7:10 amd we got our food at 7:50, totally worth it though. Went back to the house, Orlando on the border of Altamonte and Maitland, and now power but we saw the power truck down the street at our broken transformer so it seems like they are working on it. They also did an automated message while we were at Taco Bell. Hoping beyond hope this place lights up any second.
In the drive thru right now, got in at 8:15, 3rd in queue to receive food finally. Genuinely interested to see what the car in front of me got, I saw they spent over $40 on the order screen lmao
Doubtful I'm returning to power unfortunately :(

sinkfla87

Gotta say, we fellow Floridians held up pretty well and got through this thing together. I saw a lot of people take the right precautions and came together to help each other out. Florida man redeemed!!

theBmZ

Still working the hotel here in Gainesville. We got power back earlier today. Helping laundry finish up then me and some coworkers gonna do a food run for everybody. Heard the lines are huge at McD's and Taco Bell. Anybody know if Steak n Shake is open on archer rd?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
24 hours so far without power in Oviedo, FL.

FFS losing my mind.

Vestal

Gold Member
No power since last night at midnight. Cell service has been horrible.. Att here in Palm harbor.. First time I've had internet since last night.. Let's see how long it lasts..

Finally able to post this. No power still in Zepyrhills and first time all day since this early .morning I can use my cell network
I could call and get text but no internet

Still waiting on KUA to restore the power. It's hot, and bugs and frogs are getting in my house because my family opened some windows and doors to let air in.

Neece

Ah yeah, she went to the Chinese restaurant near the mall and said the line went up to the mall. She left once she saw how long it was.

Haha I'm eating Chinese food right now. It was the only place open where I am. There were more than 50 people waiting inside (heh, I counted) and it took about an hour to get my order. The power was out back home and I didn't want can food or snacks so I waited.

lightus

Still working the hotel here in Gainesville. We got power back earlier today. Helping laundry finish up then me and some coworkers gonna do a food run for everybody. Heard the lines are huge at McD's and Taco Bell. Anybody know if Steak n Shake is open on archer rd?

No clue about steak n shake. I know KFC was open earlier, had a super long line. Waffle house is open as well but probably a long wait too. Maybe get some orders to go?

Heard someone say they were being told to open at 7:00, but not 100% on that

gcubed

Someone told me the keys had boats and houses thrown around but nobody died. Can anyone confirm?

The wind was crazy but basically the whole town was under water, so boats and houses floated across roads and streets. I'd be shocked with 0 deaths though.

I didn't even lose power GAF :(
Everyone else in the Orlando area seemed to.

I went outside for 30 minutes and sat between our 2 cars at around 1:30. The wind felt awesome.

Friends and family still have no power. I got super lucky.

GamerSoul

I didn't even lose power GAF :(
Everyone else in the Orlando area seemed to.

I went outside for 30 minutes and sat between our 2 cars at around 1:30. The wind felt awesome.

Friends and family still have no power. I got super lucky.

I heard people were staying at hotels to get some A/C.

Grisby

After almost exactly 24 hours power has been restored. Just tons of yard debris at the house and a few neighbors had some trees fall down into their ceilings.

Winds were crazy Sunday night.

Bit north of Gainesville if anyone is interested.

Feels like the rain is dying down around Atlanta. Just hope the prospect of wind gusts is as well. I need to go to bed soon, and the thought of a tree coming down on me is pant-peeing.

geomon

Evacuated from Cutler Bay to Hialeah. Now I'm in Hollywood and finally with some power. I hope the rest of FloridaGAF made it ok.

Top Bottom