• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Lkr

We are doing the same but at a Burger King in Apopka near Altamonte. Been waiting in line for a cool 30 minutes now. People are about to blow up....
Got up to 30% charged, got home, and no power lol. The real upsetting part is literally all of my family members and friends are without power so I don't have anywhere to go with AC all day except hang out at a McDonald's or target. Which I'm totally going to do

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anyone getting power back in the Coconut Grove/Coral Gables area? I live across US1 away from the Grove, but I'm not actually home to check.

Jag

My house has power, but I'm stuck in Columbus Ohio. Thought about driving back, but the roads are probably going to be biblical with millions of evacuees heading south.

Sounds like my power was down for about 14 hours. Wonder if I can still use the food in the fridge and freezer.

Drove around seminole county for over an hour so my wife and i could charge our phones and get some air conditioning. Had to come back home for a bit because the baby shit itself. Probably going to go bqck out again soon. Fuck this no ac shit.

Heres a tree from my neighborhood that got fucked up

H0AapxO.jpg

Still no power for my neighborhood here in Clermont. The neighborhood across the street got power back around 8:00 last night. I went to Oakland last night to check on my grandparents and nearly every entrance to their street was blocked by downed trees. No power there either.

Animekatt

So at the Orlando VA, never lost power, yay! Got home finally to my apartment in DeBary.... the complex looks like something out of a horror movie. I was scared! Thankfully my parents got their power back on earlier in the day, so I went to their house to spend the next two days off there. Whew.

Chairhome

Charging my phone in the car while waiting 20 minutes in the drive thru at McDonald's for breakfast
Hoping power is back at the house when I get home. If not, my gym is opening at 9 and I can shower there with the lights on!
Anyone in Oviedo: is the lake by the driving range on Mitchell hammock new?
Yeah. Those are usually just grass fields. That happened a few years ago with really bad flooding also.

Heard through the grapevine that my school in South Florida is reopening tomorrow....all while I'm stuck in northern Georgia with family. I won't be back until Friday, but at least I sent lesson plans for substitutes for the week. My sister who is also a teacher was adamant that they wouldn't reopen my school since so many teachers evacuated, so I shouldn't worry about lesson plans. My paranoia paid off for once.

Still incredibly pissed at missing work though. I don't like my students falling behind.

Heard through the grapevine that my school in South Florida is reopening tomorrow....all while I'm stuck in northern Georgia with family. I won't be back until Friday, but at least I sent lesson plans for substitutes for the week. My sister who is also a teacher was adamant that they wouldn't reopen my school since so many teachers evacuated, so I shouldn't worry about lesson plans. My paranoia paid off for once.

Still incredibly pissed at missing work though. I don't like my students falling behind.

That's Weird, What county? i now Miami-Dade doesn't have class until Monday.
or is it one of those schools outside of the control of a county?

Lkr

That's weird. I'm kinda surprised UCF isn't resuming class until Monday but I'm assuming they're taking inventory for how many people evacuated and will have to wait to return.

Friend works for Gulliver and they aren't starting till Monday.

Lkr

Anyone here with Duke got their power back yet?
I fucking hate that they took down the transformer details off the map....
No power with Duke in east Orlando. I agree it sucks they won't let us track the outage like normal. I just want to see if my neighborhood has been restored before driving back and they're making it difficult
Yeah. Those are usually just grass fields. That happened a few years ago with really bad flooding also.
That's what I thought but I try to use 419 or chapman to avoid Mitchell hammock as often as possible lol

My house has power, but I'm stuck in Columbus Ohio. Thought about driving back, but the roads are probably going to be biblical with millions of evacuees heading south.

Sounds like my power was down for about 14 hours. Wonder if I can still use the food in the fridge and freezer.

I wouldn't. I cleaned mine out after about 12 hours.

jstripes

Banned
Toronto Hydro is sending 15 trucks down to Florida to help you all out. If you see those green and yellow trucks, you can expect good work.

Ponn

Banned
Finally heard from sister this morning. They are all safe but she was crying. Her house is completely flooded and she says she lost everything. She was borrowing phone and a friend down there is putting them up at their place now. I feel helpless and didn't know what to say to comfort her. I just told her we can pick up the pieces and move on because that's what are families best at, the most important thing is she and her family is safe.

Mr. Hyde

I'm thankful for not losing power here in Orlando near Millennia. My friends down the road lost it and I'm not sure they even have it back yet. I've been without internet since the night of the storm but that is better than no power.

MrJames

Got power back late last night here in Jax. No damage aside from the usual downed limbs. Looks like my PC didn't shutdown properly by the UPS when it lost power so now my boot SSD is no longer recognized.

That's Weird, What county? i now Miami-Dade doesn't have class until Monday.
or is it one of those schools outside of the control of a county?
Private school system in Miami-Dade/Broward, but one that usually follows what Miami-Dade County Public Schools do. So the school reopening news was confusing to me.

Anyway, I talked with the principal and they said that there is NO school tomorrow due to lack of power. Another administrator said Thursday is iffy as well.

The schools reopening news was second-hand info from my mom who is still in South Florida, so I took it at face value. At least they have my lesson plans now and they can see I'm proactive.

Private school system in Miami-Dade/Broward, but one that usually follows what Miami-Dade County Public Schools do. So the school reopening news was confusing to me.

Anyway, I talked with the principal and they said that there is NO school tomorrow due to lack of power. Another administrator said Thursday is iffy as well.

The schools reopening news was second-hand info from my mom who is still in South Florida, so I took it at face value. At least they have my lesson plans now and they can see I'm proactive.

Ah, i see. Yeah it would be pretty bad if they started school up and half the Teachers/Students weren't even in the state.

Dade is unknown :/ annoyed because I work for dade and would like to know...

Over 48 hours without power at this point. No idea when I'll be getting it back.

My Brother got a message from the County on Edmodo saying that he has classes on Monday, Though i honestly would be surprised if they aren't ready by then.

Finally heard from sister this morning. They are all safe but she was crying. Her house is completely flooded and she says she lost everything. She was borrowing phone and a friend down there is putting them up at their place now. I feel helpless and didn't know what to say to comfort her. I just told her we can pick up the pieces and move on because that's what are families best at, the most important thing is she and her family is safe.
Oh my god, I am so sorry. 😨😨😨😨😭😭😭 I Cannot imagine what she is going through.

Linkura

If you're in the Orlando area and bored, Disney World is looking pretty dead right now.

Jungle Cruise, the railroad, and Kali River Rapids are closed due to storm damage.

A full freezer that hasn't been opened can maintain temps for 24 hours. I think you'll be just fine for 14 hours. Obvisouly, fridge stuff should take greater caution (mostly depending on how long you've been gone). Butter and condiments would be fine. Produce, milk, and deli meats, I'd toss. Hard cheeses are probably ok, soft cheeses should be tossed.

Top Bottom