• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Detroit named most miserable US city

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well, it's not just Detroit, the County, Wayne, has had like corruption after corruption after corruption for years. The state has had the worst Governors outside of Gramholm(who did an amazing job with such corruption within the state).

What am I reading? Granholm helped drive the state into the toilet, and I even voted for her first term.

jehuty

What's so miserable about Milwaukee?

Nothing. Milwaukee is really like its NBA team (an 8th seed). It is squarely in the middle of the pack and is neither great nor terrible. When summer rolls around it becomes extremely fun due to all the festivals and free flowing liquor. Sure its transit sucks, there is no retail downtown, and all you do is gereally drink but it is hardly a miserbale city. That type of title should only be applied to places like Gary, Ind or just the whole state of Indiana.

Plus, weather shouldnt be a factor in determing misery of a city. It just so happens that some people like living in places where there are actual seasons and get to enjoy the activities that come with them.

WedgeX

Banned
What is the opinion of Coleman Young? This guy was mayor for 20 years, I wonder what people think of him. Is he considered corrupt, or is he generally seen as a good mayor?

He is extremely corrupt. Was extremely racist against black people as well, the police turned into a mob-like organization that fucked over the city.

I think the opinion is mixed. He integrated the police force, which had played a large role in the Detroit riots. He brought integration to city government. Young and all of the suburban politicians fought. He fought with L. Brooks Patterson, the county commissioner of Oakland County. Patterson (touted as "saving Oakland county" from financial ruin just because all the rich people migrated there from Detroit) was pro-segregation and fought busing, even after the KKK started torching buses in Pontiac, and is now a tea party supporter. He fought with Orville Hubbard, an openly pro-segregation mayor of Dearborn. The relationship between Young and the suburban politicians still provides a backdrop between the city and suburban relationship now. Young did stupid things, such as buying into the monorail craze instead of actual transit systems. He allowed the Ren Cen to be built essentially on an island instead of integrated into the city. He utilized new industry such as the Poletown Plant and freeway building in order to destroy communities that did not vote for him.

Is it true that 87% of the Detriot population is African American? Why is that?

Don't live in US, but was surprised by that number when I read it

*don't mean anything by this, just curious

Aylinato

What am I reading? Granholm helped drive the state into the toilet, and I even voted for her first term.

No, that was the recession. Granholm had started bringing alternative energy production (building solar and wind turbine production here). She also had started having movies produced in Allen Park(where the lion's practice field is located).

Both of which Synder killed in 3 months of coming into office.

So now we are still only reliant on the fucking auto-industry. Fuck Synder. He is awful.

O did I mention that the auto-industry is moving even more jobs out of the state? Even if we have the right-to-work bullshit, they are still going to move those jobs out of the state.

andycapps

*don't mean anything by this, just curious

I believe that's due to "white flight" to the burbs. The poor can't afford to leave.

WedgeX

Banned

With the rise of Jim Crow, many african-americans migrated from southern cities to industrial northern cities, especially to Detroit and the auto industry. In addition, many whites from the south also came for the auto industry. Things did not go smoothly, as whites rioted to keep blacks out of federal housing projects. The riot, in which 35 people were killed, had to eventually be put down by federal troops. The City continued to grow, although african-americans were not included in Detroit's rising prosperity. An example of this was Detroit's police force, which was heavily segregated. "Elite" police units such as STRESS focused on crimes committed by the african-american community, as well. Economic conditions, the frustrations of the civil rights movement, and police actions led to the 1967 riots. The result for the city was devastating. With zoning laws allowing suburbs to run roughshod over the vast farms ringing the city, some freeways springing up allowing easier access to the city from the suburbs, and politicians such as L. Brooks Patterson and Orville Hubbard encouraging white residents to move to their suburbs, and people feeling unsafe in the wake of the riots, people fled. This became white flight. The city became prominently african-american following all of this.

Drove through there a few times when visiting my brother in Dearborn, MI.

Felt like I was driving through Chernobyl in some parts.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Nothing. Milwaukee is really like its NBA team (an 8th seed). It is squarely in the middle of the pack and is neither great nor terrible. When summer rolls around it becomes extremely fun due to all the festivals and free flowing liquor. Sure its transit sucks, there is no retail downtown, and all you do is gereally drink but it is hardly a miserbale city. That type of title should only be applied to places like Gary, Ind or just the whole state of Indiana.

Plus, weather shouldnt be a factor in determing misery of a city. It just so happens that some people like living in places where there are actual seasons and get to enjoy the activities that come with them.

It's hilarious that everyone from Milwaukee knows that Gary, IN is hell on earth. It's like we're all told as small children "look both ways before crossing the street and never, ever stop in Gary, IN"

Then again when I lived there I was in a bubble out in Fox Point. I never really saw any of the bad stuff.

Syrinx

Not to mention that there really aren't many cities that are just beautiful all year long. I'd rather be in Milwaukee in winter than Houston in summer.

yup! I live about 3 hours south of Chicago and am grateful I only visit to see the nice parts. Just walking around there out side the "tourist" area is a joke and the feels like worst of humanity all bundled up and force into a compact area.
Ahh, you live a very sheltered life. Makes sense.

No, that was the recession. Granholm had started bringing alternative energy production (building solar and wind turbine production here). She also had started having movies produced in Allen Park(where the lion's practice field is located).

Both of which Synder killed in 3 months of coming into office.

So now we are still only reliant on the fucking auto-industry. Fuck Synder. He is awful.

O did I mention that the auto-industry is moving even more jobs out of the state? Even if we have the right-to-work bullshit, they are still going to move those jobs out of the state.
Granholm state-sponsored a bunch of alternative energy production. That's not an economic boon. Those same energy producers are subsidized by the state. It's not helping anything, it's just flushing money down the toilet for a pet project.

The film initiative legislation was a failure. It brought a bunch of people temporarily, and then they left to go back to CA. It's not like the film industry is going to come to Michigan. The film incentives were largely considered losers because they didn't help Michigan's economy long-term. Film makers came to Michigan, took a bunch of free money, said "thanks", and then went home.

Granholm was a terrible, inept governor. She was desperate for the Obama administration to hire her in so she could escape the state she helped bring to ruin, but he didn't want her. She hadn't a single good idea in her head the entirety of her administration. Her only ideas to fix Michigan's budget problems were to raise taxes, use Obama's stimulus funding to plug budget holes, and release prisoners early.

I don't get why Lake County is on the list. I mean, it's not a city, it's a county.

There are 18 townships here and they are all VASTLY different from each other. Housing prices haven't dropped that far across the board in ALL towns. I will agree the weather is completely terrible most of the year. We get giant snowfall, it's only warm about 4-5 months of the year, and three of those are generally too hot.

A guy I know that has lived all around the country and several places in the Midwest told me he's never experienced anything as bad as the weather here.

The transport situation only sucks due to one major highway having a ton of stoplights and there always, without fail, being an infinite numbers of morons that crash themselves into medians when there's more than a foot of snow on the ground. That causes traffic to be stalled up to an hour at times.

I've said it a million times.

For Detriot to recover, and recover well, it needs to be made into the Vegas of the Midwest...Legalize weed, prostitution, gambling...Creates jobs, money, traffic to the city, industry...It'll never happen, but it should.

Toledo, like Flint and Warren, is an arm of Detroit. Basically "Detroit" is on the list four times.

Oh, hmm, I've never really noticed before, but I guess you're right. I think the airport I usually fly into is... near Detroit or something, but I hadn't realized it was so close to Toledo. Damn.

yup! I live about 3 hours south of Chicago and am grateful I only visit to see the nice parts. Just walking around there out side the "tourist" area is a joke and the feels like worst of humanity all bundled up and force into a compact area.

Speed limit is 65 brah.

.... but you really should not be going anything lower than 70 on the highways.

Aylinato

Granholm state-sponsored a bunch of alternative energy production. That's not an economic boon. Those same energy producers are subsidized by the state. It's not helping anything, it's just flushing money down the toilet for a pet project.

The film initiative legislation was a failure. It brought a bunch of people temporarily, and then they left to go back to CA. It's not like the film industry is going to come to Michigan. The film incentives were largely considered losers because they didn't help Michigan's economy long-term. Film makers came to Michigan, took a bunch of free money, said "thanks", and then went home.

Granholm was a terrible, inept governor. She was desperate for the Obama administration to hire her in so she could escape the state she helped bring to ruin, but he didn't want her. She hadn't a single good idea in her head the entirety of her administration. Her only ideas to fix Michigan's budget problems were to raise taxes, use Obama's stimulus funding to plug budget holes, and release prisoners early.

Wrong on all counts. Bonus wrong points for talking about how Synder tried balancing his budget off of any and all federal government programs. Synder is known to be the one who killed the movie production in Michigan, and known for cutting any incentive for any business that isn't the auto industry to come to Michigan.

ATF487

Or Lowell. I am from MA and while there are some wonderful towns there are also some insufferable places too - Quincy being one but I have no first hand knowledge of that. Closer to Boston there are places that really seem terrible. Lawrence and Lowell are places in MA that people who like nice things, friendly people, nice places, nice roads and trees, generally dislike.

Heh, yeah, it seems like the worst places in MA are urban areas on the periphery of commuting to Boston. Lowell, Lawrence, Fitchburg, Fall River/New Bedford. And then there's Springfield...

I don't think Quincy is that bad, though. Seems to be one of the few places where property is semi-affordable, as well as close to the subway.

I lived in Poughkeepsie in the early 90s. Place went downhill when the only major corporation in the area went through a massive layoff. Here's hoping it's rebounding and will be off this list.

I also lived in Pittsburgh for the first 17 years of my life. Left in the mid 80s. That place was morphing from a dirty, run-down steel city to a much more modern city. It's taken some time but I'm glad to see it's not on this list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom