• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Detroit named most miserable US city

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Plus, weather shouldnt be a factor in determing misery of a city. It just so happens that some people like living in places where there are actual seasons and get to enjoy the activities that come with them.

This living in the panhandle of florida and having a permanent sping/summer isn't fun. I've had about 4 months of actual winter like weather ever in 7 years.

Ripclawe

Banned
So, you guys had me interested in just how corrupt Detroit city government can be... I was shocked how many go to prison. The "Shrek" woman I heard is in prison for 4 years for taking bribes. SMH (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1be_1207964046 This Woman)

Also, Detroit had a school board president who was illiterate. He later got in trouble for sexual misconduct. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPGGX9mDaZo

Detroit being corrupt goes back decades with various officials its just the mayors that have bee in the spotlight recently

El_Chino

I've lived and live in 3 of those areas and not sure if I'll call it miserable lol

To be more specific: I've lived in NYC for most of my life and sure it's a struggle if you don't make a lot of money but so is any other major city, and the same goes for Chicago (which I visit often) and I now live in Lake County, IL and I can't see how it's any worse or different from any other nice suburbs I've been to.

robocop_2282286b.jpg

WE NEED YOU MORE THAN EVER!

EhoaVash

I lived in Detroit for 7 years of my life, moved to warren in 2009..the people in Detroit are good people but yes there are problems like unemployment that lead to crimes, misery etc. People can barely find any jobs, if they do its either through a staffing agency which always lays people off after 4-5 months or they work minimum wage jobs that barely cover their cost of living. There are many many Abandoned houses, stores, hospitals, schools ( the Elementary school I've attended and the middle school right next to it were shut down just after the 2008 recession now they're just big abandoned buildings with graffiti everywhere) etc

I don't see Detroit rebuilding itself, the new mayor tried to destroy every abandoned place to make Detroit look better, but after his first year as mayor, he stopped. Jobs aren't coming back here, the few companies still left aren't hiring and if they are ( rarely ) its only for a temporary position. People are leaving Detroit.

Theonik

1- Detroit
2- Flint, Mich.
3- Rockford, Ill.
4- Chicago, Ill.
5- Modesto, Cali.
6- Vallejo, Cali.
7- Warren, Mich.
8- Stockton, Cali
9- Lake County, Ill.
10- New York, N.Y.
11- Toledo, Ohio
12- St. Louis, Mo.
13- Camden, N.J.
14- Milwaukee, Wisc.
15- Atlantic City, NJ
16- Atlanta, Ga.
17- Cleveland, Ohio
18- Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
19- Gary, Ind.
20- Youngstown, OH
[urld=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM&t=41s]We're not Detroit![/url]

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
True, but they're nowhere near as bad as the other cities in the list.

We had a whole neighborhood burn down a couple months ago, thousands of families are still displaced, we just had a big school bus driver strike, etc.

Not really the best year NYC has ever had.

MIMIC

Banned
This living in the panhandle of florida and having a permanent sping/summer isn't fun. I've had about 4 months of actual winter like weather ever in 7 years.

You lucky SOB

I live in Ohio (27 years) and I'm moving to FL in April :)

Visited Detroit once. Can't really call it visiting, just passing through.

Didn't feel comfortable there at all. And that was ages ago when it was probably safer. Seeing 2 dead dogs in the middle of the street was unsettling, especially when one of them dead dogs had gunshot wounds.

East St. Louis is technically a different city, so the list might not be taking it into account unless it's by metro-area

I suppose who ever rated STL on this list was visiting all of the failed downtown stuff. I loved downtown when I was a kid. Left for a few years, brought the wife downtown when we visited and she thought it was scarier than the worst parts of Phoenix. LOL

I am surprised that: Yuba City CA, Marysville CA, Linda CA and Olivehurst CA (all of these areas surround me) were not on the list. The majority of these towns are decaying holes that have people living here just because it is cheaper than Sacramento. And maybe 1/20th of these people are commuting into Sacramento for a good upper middle class tier job, the rest are pulling unemployment, or are working low pay local jobs. It seems at time the only thing that bolsters the real estate market is the local Airforce base. We bought our house because it will be the perfect rental home when we move out of it and we will put an add in on the Airforce base for renting it.

Now I am not surprised by Stockton, I think in another thread they were rated as the lowest educated city in the country. This leads to me not being surprised by local news stories and reports requesting that people not wear jewelry when they are out and about in Stockton, for fear that the police will be overloaded by dealing with theft of said jewelry and dealing with injuries and killings over jewelry. Stockton just seemed like a run-down suburb (when I was last there, we bought a car from a VW dealership).

Modesto, nobody goes to Modesto, is what I remember saying when my wife wanted to go check that area out.

Vallejo, it looks nice when you are blowing by it to go into SF or heading to six flags, so I have no clue about the place. Nice gas stations there.

cryptic

I don't know why springfield,ma is never mentioned. Home of smith and wesson, everyone has guns out here;shit is tough out here.
There are no good jobs and violence is always on the rise.
Only thing we have going for us is that there are not too many abandoned buildings but you can go to holyoke for that, greater springfield.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Personally, I felt more uncomfortable in the single time I was in Gary than I ever have felt while in Detroit.

I want to go back to Detroit some time soon, just to visit John K King Books again at least.

Yamauchi

Banned
Good to see KC is off the list. Rebuilding the urban core, growing the tech industry, reducing the unemployment rate quite rapidly.

I have been to Cincy. It makes Cleveland look like Palm Beach. Cincy and Toledo are the worst cities in Ohio by far

lol... dude, you may be unimpressed with Cincy, but COME ON. There is no place real or imagined that could make Cleveland look like Palm Beach. I think Omaha Beach is a more realistic goal.

I wish I could speak for if Detroit is actually liveable or not, but I live in the outskirts of Detroit. I can literally take a few steps down my block and I'm in Redford so I can't speak for Detroit. Though living in Detroit and not even in a remotely bad part is pretty hard, especially when somebody asks for directions to your house and their first question is "is it safe where you live?" Though I've been to the bad parts of Detroit to see my grandma sometimes and people are right, I wouldn't live down their in a million years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom