• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: " Sony draws yawns ".

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernoca

TGDaily said:
The Microsoft briefing ended with the shooter Halo 3, and the Sony briefing ended with the shooter Killzone 2. Meanwhile, Nintendo's briefing ended with a virtual workout game.
That was the big difference.
People also need to keep in mind that Killzone 2..is..Killzone 2.
The first one was not a big seller, nor a system seller and neither the PSP game was... (as much as I loved both)...
Unless Sony does a hell of a job advertising it, the game is just going to sell to the same people that bought a PS3 or that already wanted a PS3. Which is good, but no Halo 3 good..considering that Sony is banking this game as the Halo 3 killer.

frAntic_Frog said:
huh? you that bothered by the wii? eh....ps3 still gets the big blockbuster games like GTA, MGS, Stranglehold, RE5, Unreal, etc etc......you can let Wii owners to their minigames and Rygar remakes lol

no i'm not bothered by the wii. I own it, i own all 3 GAME consoles. I want to use the new controller to play legitimate GAMES. Not releasing a board that assists people in pushups and yoga and having all these people that don't like my hobby cheer.

Right now the only games i'm interested in seem to be sequels to GC games and the VC. And before developers can even blink to use the wiimote Nintendo has gone and announce 3 other accessories. WTF?

CrushDance said:
You are kidding me. Okay....okay...so which conference was the best to you?....

*twitch*

They all sucked. It was almost all stuff we've seen before, and most of it we've seen over and over. Another bundle of MGS cutscenes--pinch me.

Cheebs

Two things needed to be said.

1. Nintendo fans, you don't have to LIKE Wii Fit and the like. It is ok to admit it. Nintendo isn't even aiming it at you.

2. "Hardcore" gamers really need to come to terms with the fact stuff like Killzone 2 and MGS 4 do no matter anymore in terms of market place shifts. The industry is no longer in that place, outside a niche that well gaf is part of, but it is shrinking.

shidoshi said:
Two years ago, I never would have thought that I'd be feeling sorry for Sony and wishing that people would give them a bit of a break. But, here I am.

Ironically, I would have said the same thing about Nintendo a day ago, but after today, I'm actually feeling a bit bad about the absolute drubbing they're taking today on GAF ... heh.

E3 always changes everything, I guess.

ZeoVGM

Banned
fernoca said:
The first one was not a big seller, nor a system seller and neither the PSP game was... (as much as I loved both)...
Unless Sony does a hell of a job advertising it, the game is just going to sell to the same people that bought a PS3 or that already wanted a PS3. Which is good, but no Halo 3 good..considering that Sony is banking this game as the Halo 3 killer.

Not to mention the first one.. wasn't very GOOD.

We're all creaming over the amazing graphics, but until they show us the gameplay is MUCH better than the last one, why should I buy over the other thousand dark/futuristic shooters?

Kuroyume

Banned
It bored me to death.

They all bored me to death.

I did find the brutal audience responses to all three very entertaining. :lol

"Here's the XBOX 360 Halo edition!"

::crickets::

"Here's the Wii-wheel!"

"Here's Haze! Exclusive to the PS3!"

So great... :lol

xaosslug said:
i LOVE it, hardcore Nintendo fans display such unbridled devotion in the face of Nintendo's indifference. :lol

They're not hardcore Nintendo fans, if they were they'd be at least worried with this WiiFit fad and other non-game crap. I was a hardcore Nintendo fan. These people are just loyalists that don't even care about the path Nintendo has taken as long as the company makes money and they can brag about it.

GhaleonEB said:
Always interesting to see what the non-enthusiast press is saying.
It's very interesting because they aren't emotionally invested in the companies or their platforms. They're more concerned about the business end. Cold hard facts, man. Honestly, while there may be an element of backlash at work, it's only because Sony set themselves up for it with E3 '05 and their subsequent failure to hold onto mindshare and marketshare.

GhaleonEB said:
Always interesting to see what the non-enthusiast press is saying.
lol i bet if McDonalds had a conference revealing a new McSalad and a new pedo-meter walking minigame for fat corporate white-collar consumers, it'll be hailed as revolutionary lol

Jirotrom

gketter said:
so the gaming industry has now been reduced to catering to and making huge profits off of people who don't even enjoy the hobby we're in? ...and this is a good thing why?
because it funds the big projects that you and I like to see.

krypt0nian said:
What does that say about Nintendo/MS since SONY stomped them into the ground?

With what? A virtual dollhouse, a half-assed PSP remodel, yet another bunch of MGS 4 cutscenes, and a game that looks like another grey generic FPS?

How's the weather there in Sonyland?

Nintendo showed nothing.

Microsoft showed everything we've known about for ages, and some boring new stuff (Scene it! Halo 3 LE 360, Viva Pinata mini-games).

Sony unveiled a new PSP design, highlighted all the games unique to their console, showed off some seriously impressive HOME stuff, and had a much better ending than Microsoft's (and the great Halo 3 trailer butchery; who edited that footage, seriously?! They somehow suceeded in making most people underwhelmed by Halo). The Sony E3 conference was lessened by the fact that we all saw the Killzone 2 trailer last night. If they had saved it until today, we wouldn't even be arguing the merits of their conference.
Besides, theirs was at least mildly entertaining with their interchange with the HOME avatars, especially Kaz BBQing. :lol Overall, it was jam-packed with no serious deadzones, unlike the other two companies.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
fernoca said:

How many people really played the Marathon games before picking up Halo?

Chiggs

Gold Member
frAntic_Frog said:
....but now the buzz is that theres nothing groundbreaking or even impressive about the new Killzone2

Killzone 2 is easily impressive, but, uh, seriously, what is groundbreaking about it?

Dahbomb

DopeyFish said:
because sony actually had to announce a bunch more games, and they really didn't... a couple PSN games and infamous doesn't really count.

Microsoft is already heavily loaded for the fall, so even if Microsoft announced roughly the same amount of new games as Sony... They still have an absolutely stellar line up. Microsoft didn't really need to impress this E3, sony did. Both of them held par.
Sony was able to show off they actually have a portfolio for early '08. I would hardly call their 2 performances par, the difference was quite obvious. When the highlight of Microsoft's conference were 3-4 multiplatform games coming out this fall, that is nothing something brag worthy. On the other hand when you show off stuff like Killzone 2, MGS4 and GT5 that looks good and is arriving sometime in 2008, it shows legitimate promise for the console. Sony has a strong 1st party showing this 2007 as well along with the 2 3rd party exclusives they got (Haze and UT3).

Sony's conference was just simply better compared to Microsoft's and as far as I can tell Sony has done a good job of maintaining confidence within their own fanbase (something they needed to do for quite sometime). Nintendo on the other hand did the opposite, hence we have these reactions you see on GAF.

Obviously I speak on behalf of myself, as a person who enjoys gaming as a hobby and one who is not at all interested in non-game bull ****. I was far more entertained in the Microsoft/Sony conferences than the Nintendo one but I may not be able to say the same for others who aren't that much into gaming.

Chiggs said:
Killzone 2 is easily impressive, but, uh, seriously, what is groundbreaking about it?
It's huge enough it looks as good as it does. Team Guerilla will reveal the game play elements later on with a demo and a build that features more than one level. They seem to have successfully implemented a cover mechanic for 1st person (not the weird 3rd person/1st person hybrid found in Rainbow Six), highly destructible environments, weapon customization (supposedly), dynamic weather changing by the enemy and a really amazing animation system. There is other crap like deferred lighting and stuff which is supposedly ground breaking but we need to see more on the game at this point. What has been shown is indeed quite impressive.

xaosslug

fortified_concept said:
They're not hardcore Nintendo fans. If they wqere they'd be worried. I was a hardcore Nintendo fan. These people are just loyalists that don't even care about the path Nintendo has taken as long as the company makes money and they can brag about it.

i meant 'hardcore' in the sense that they're fans of Nintendo Co., Ltd.

lol

I think this new E3 format is the culprit of the "yawns". E3 used to be a huge marketing tool for the industry and now its serves as a boring and dull press release. I think if this continues for several years, I actually think it will hurt the industry.

PleoMax

Banned
Wtf

Oh and that wiifit shit was cool?

Man the world is falling, cherish every moment you have with your Ps3 and 360, next gen is gonna be shitty.

bill0527

gketter said:
no i'm not bothered by the wii. I own it, i own all 3 GAME consoles. I want to use the new controller to play legitimate GAMES. Not releasing a board that assists people in pushups and yoga and having all these people that don't like my hobby cheer.

Well .. the thing is, you and the rest of the Nintendo Army know full well that this is the direction that Nintendo is heading in and if you continue to support them, then it only validates what they're doing. If you're going to live by Nintendo's sword, then prepare to die by it as well.

Personally, I feel like Nintendo is setting video gaming back about 5-10 years with the casual push. If this wins out this generation and all the publishers decide that cheaper, more casual friendly games are the way to go instead of the big-budget high-definition blockbuster games, then the hobby will have officially taken a step back instead of moving forward. Our next generation consoles will do nothing at all to push technology forward and we'll be stuck playing shovelware like Emeril Cooks Cajun waggle style.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Nintendo showed nothing.

Besides, theirs was at least mildly entertaining with their interchange with the HOME avatars, especially Kaz BBQing. :lol

a) Nintendo showed nothing is a lie. They showed nothing that interested YOU. Wii Fit, however, is obviously something. And I think showing Zelda and Metroid being playing well with their respective controls is also "something". Though we'll ignore that.

b) The HOME segment made me feel embarrassed for him. "Maybe I can meet up with some hot chicks." This is Sony's issue. It's just silly. As for "entertaining", that's all an opinion, but the audience was entertained during the Wii Fit segment. Overall, I found Nintendo's conference kind of dry except for the Wii Fit part, but Sony's wasn't much better in terms of "entertainment."

Core407

Banned
Branduil said:
Not that I yawned at it, but is it really that bad if people yawned at yet another FPS game(and a sequel to boot), even if it is incredible-looking?

That's just preference. It's going to sell and on Forbes, that's what they should talk about. Not some kind of biased preference towards another console.

Branduil

omg rite said:
It's PART of the future.

Will you people stop being so damned dramatic?!

IT'S NOT REPLACING NORMAL GAMES.

EVERY GAME IN THE FUTURE WILL BE LIKE WII FIT ZELDA WII WILL HAVE LINK DOING PUSH-UPS TO MOVE SWITCHES UGH I'M GOING TO GO PLAY EARTHBOUND AND CRY MYSELF TO SLEEP

fortified_concept said:
Are you interested in games or how much money Nintendo makes? I always wondered that about some Nintendo fans like you.
Both. If doing what we like is successful, it causes a shift towards what we like.
human5892 said:
Come on. If Sony's audience was unimpressed, Nintendo's and Microsoft's were absolutely catatonic.
She didn't say they weren't.
frAntic_Frog said:
lol i bet if McDonalds had a conference revealing a new McSalad and a new pedo-meter walking minigame for fat corporate white-collar consumers, it'll be hailed as revolutionary lol
Heh. I wonder if fast food places offering salads caused uproars among burger enthusiasts.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
I don't know. PS3 not selling so great. EA going more and more casual.

So that means EA will stop making Medal of Honor, The Sims, Madden, all their other sports games, Burnout, and such for 360?

Chiggs said:

I personally believe and will bet anything that H3 is the superior game (IMO, of course), but the novelty of Killzone 2 is that no one in the world outside of rabid Sony fans thought that it would come anywhere near the CG trailer, but it did completely. It's just crow being dished out and quite unexpectedly.

xaosslug

DopeyFish said:
because sony actually had to announce a bunch more games, and they really didn't... a couple PSN games and infamous doesn't really count.

Microsoft is already heavily loaded for the fall, so even if Microsoft announced roughly the same amount of new games as Sony... They still have an absolutely stellar line up. Microsoft didn't really need to impress this E3, sony did. Both of them held par.

oh, DopeyFish. I haven't seen you around... I missed you interesting take on things. Great stuffs.

lol

theBishop

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Nintendo showed nothing.

Microsoft showed everything we've known about for ages, and some boring new stuff (Scene it! Halo 3 LE 360, Viva Pinata mini-games).

Sony unveiled a new PSP design, highlighted all the games unique to their console, showed off some seriously impressive HOME stuff, and had a much better ending than Microsoft's (and the great Halo 3 trailer butchery; who edited that footage, seriously?! They somehow suceeded in making most people underwhelmed by Halo). The Sony E3 conference was lessened by the fact that we all saw the Killzone 2 trailer last night. If they had saved it until today, we wouldn't even be arguing the merits of their conference.
Besides, theirs was at least mildly entertaining with their interchange with the HOME avatars, especially Kaz BBQing. :lol

I spoken to a few people who were repulsed by Nintendo and Microsoft coming off as incredibly phony. Between Jeff Bell's attempt at ebonics and Nintendo's idealized family videos, both went over the line into patronizing their audience.

Mashing

jman2050 said:
Articles like these make it all the more mind-boggling that people still think Nintendo doesn't have this generation in the bag.

It just makes me laugh at the COMPLETE 360 (excuse the pun) this generation has taken. Nintendo seems to be the only one to "get it". Sony and Microsoft seem so out of touch of where the market is heading. It's gotta make you laugh, no matter who you are.

Ranger X said:
Wow. Forbes is really trying to spin this in a negative. It really takes talent there.

It's cool to hate Sony i guess!

Yeah. Exactly. There's even a big poster stating that in the conference room of FORBES.... /sarcasm.

They simply saw Sony's press conference differently through different eyes (those of a business magazine) than you did (those of a fanboy).

PleoMax

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
I personally believe and will bet anything that H3 is the superior game (IMO, of course), but the novelty of Killzone 2 is that no one in the world outside of rabid Sony fans thought that it would come anywhere near the CG trailer, but it did completely. It's just crow being dished out and quite unexpectedly.

Yeah. I mean, the game doesn't look like shit, that in itself was surprising, but that it looks like it looks, maan...Sony is pushing it with Killzone.

Saoh

sphinx said:

this represents Nintendo on their way to the bank when HALF THE WORLD BUYS WiiFit and the so called bathroom scale.

WiiFit will be INSANELY huge, that's a no brainer, and GAF will meltdown when NPD releases :lol

GremlinInTheMachine said:
With what? A virtual dollhouse, a half-assed PSP remodel, yet another bunch of MGS 4 cutscenes, and a game that looks like another grey generic FPS?

How's the weather there in Sonyland?

Hay Guys! I live in SonyLand now. It was bound to happen.

You know people think I'm an xbot right, you twit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom