• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: " Sony draws yawns ".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

Cheebs said:
Two things needed to be said.

1. Nintendo fans, you don't have to LIKE Wii Fit and the like. It is ok to admit it. Nintendo isn't even aiming it at you.

2. "Hardcore" gamers really need to come to terms with the fact stuff like Killzone 2 and MGS 4 do no matter anymore in terms of market place shifts. The industry is no longer in that place, outside a niche that well gaf is part of, but it is shrinking.

Then explain the sales of last gen SW? While not all of it was hardcore, it certainly wasn't all 'non-games' either.

The problem at this point is system cost (360 and PS3). As the userbase expands, there will still be plenty of room for traditional genres.

You can't possibly believe that all of the PS2 owners from last gen want nothing to do with traditional genres can you?

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
The amount of Jihading going on in this thread is so epic that it makes the Crusades look like a series of friendly skirmishes.

Amir0x

Banned
jman2050 said:
Not that I completely disagree with you (Nintendo needs to really step up their games aimed towards the core gamer), but I find it sad that we have what is, by all accounts, the most inventive and creative platformer in YEARS, and people keep saying it's 'more of the same' just because it has the title 'Mario slapped onto it.

I think what Nintendo has shown over the years is that it can use its big IPs to sell their new experiences, rather than conforming to a narrow standard BECAUSE it uses a certain IP. I seriously doubt people would be this disgruntled if Mario Galaxy were called '[insert new character] Galaxy.'

Mario Galaxy looked awesome to me. It was probably my game of the show. I don't mind that we get more of the same. I don't play pretend like some of these zombies and say 'oh man MORE OF THE SAME AWESOME THING WE'VE BEEN PLAYING SUDDENLY IT'S GONNA BE LESS AWESOME WE NEED CHANGE.' (pardon the caps). So this is not the problem.

It's that, believe it or not, playing with these same characters in these same universes - conceptually innovative or not - is not really anything we didn't expect. It's not Nintendo taking a chance, or going out on a limb to deliver something amazing for us. Of course another Mario 3D platformer was coming. Of course it will be awesome. Wouldn't it be nice if alongside these expected titles that come out like clockwork, they put money and effort and talent into a new IP that is just as radical in its own unique way? No they put their new ideas into non-games and what not. They largely ignore this demographic that put them where they are with any new content.

Nintendo has all this talent, so why do they not show us that they can do it without relying on the same mascots that they pump out every day? If they mixed it up and started showing that they are gonna deliver this diverse lineup of awesome titles both casual and hardcore, things would be better.

EDIT: Sorry didn't realize this was locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom