• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: " Sony draws yawns ".

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
i cant wait for 1up yours to destroy wiifit and nintendos conference. Oh no i dont, cause then the thread will be filled with complaining nintendo fans... again.

Monk

Banned
fortified_concept said:
They're not hardcore Nintendo fans, if they were they'd be at least worried with this WiiFit fad and other non-game crap. I was a hardcore Nintendo fan. These people are just loyalists that don't even care about the path Nintendo has taken as long as the company makes money and they can brag about it.

FFS

1. These 3 press conference were not aimed at gamers or prospective buyers. It was aimed at retailers, telling them what the next big thing will be.

2. WiiFit is something i am interested in, i am woefully out of shape and cant get any exercise regime going. If it is going to cut into something, it would be the imaginary exercise time that i want.

3. Nintnedo isnt ignoringing us, with the overwhelmingly positive fedback from games like Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3. It is very hard to say that Nintendo doesnt cater to gamers. If anything Nintnedo and MS are the only ones left looking at the gaming side rather than the graphics side of gaming.

Jirotrom

gketter said:
and which big projects is nintendo working on? Where are some new franchises, new characters, new actual gameplay experiences?
Dude... you asked I answered...its not like 3rd parties arent going to start using the wii to make money for the big games...I'm sorry but we have to all realize that some of these huge games Bioshock assassins creed may night ssell well in certain situations... having money to cusion on is a good thing. Not every great game rings in profits and this is a business my friend. To top it off you guys act like this is ruining gaming... Let me give you an example,

I'm a musician and I hate pop music, but I am a huge jazz fan. Just because pop music is popular did it end jazz musicians ability for performing concerts and selling CDs?

From your earlier comments it was as if you were assuming that all devs were going this route? It shouldn't bother you.

Brannon

This is probably why MS kept it so low-key. There's barely any mention of them, while the mainstream media (the only media that matters, get over it) praises Nintendo and bashes Sony. Which is bonus for MS because of that lingering extended warranty dealie.

This gen is so unpredictably different...

OokieSpookie said:
It disturbs me that there are people out there who seriously think this Nintendo success is good for gaming as a whole.

Especially since they have abandoned gaming. They live in Infomercial Land now.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
fortified_concept said:
They're not hardcore Nintendo fans, if they were they'd be at least worried with this WiiFit fad and other non-game crap. I was a hardcore Nintendo fan. These people are just loyalists that don't even care about the path Nintendo has taken as long as the company makes money and they can brag about it.
Get off your high horse you dumb shit, who are you to tell anybody what they should and shouldn't like? I've had an absolute blast the past year playing wii sports, wario ware, brain training etc with members of my family and friends who never had the interest or ability to play games before. I still play traditional games in my own time like always, could probably kick your ass at anything.

omg rite said:
So that means EA will stop making Medal of Honor, The Sims, Madden, all their other sports games, Burnout, and such for 360?
No... but it defiantly gives you an idea of where gaming is going when you see what one of the biggest game companies is putting out. Wasn't their conference mostly about casual games. Change is gradual.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
theBishop said:
I spoken to a few people who were repulsed by Nintendo and Microsoft coming off as incredibly phony. Between Jeff Bell's attempt at ebonics and Nintendo's idealized family videos, both went over the line into patronizing their audience.
C'mon now. You never sink low enough to patronize the mainstream press :lol

Amir0x

Banned
omg rite said:
It's PART of the future.

Will you people stop being so damned dramatic?!

IT'S NOT REPLACING NORMAL GAMES.

you're right sure but i think it would be easier to see if Nintendo actually seemed to be giving equal effort to unique and fresh 'hardcore/epic' games, instead of making sure the highlight and focus is this game hater software. They give us yet another Mario Kart, and of course the lineup of games we knew was coming - essentially more games with Mario in the title and Metroid. Look at Microsoft, look at Sony. They have this diverse, interesting lineup in a range of genres and focus on all of them in turn. Sony has its "non-games/casual stuff" with EyeToy software, Microsoft is getting into the game with its Scene it shit. But they also have brilliant looking new IPs like Infamous or Uncharted or Mass Effect or Bioshock.

Where is this from Nintendo? They give us more mascots, but why not try to create truly groundbreaking epic/hardcore games too? What do they have? Disaster was no where to be seen. Forever Blue is like a diving screensaver or some shit.

If they showed equal focus, it wouldn't be so bad. But what they keep showcasing is that we're not just far in the back of their mind, and they just occasionally throw us scraps. So while this game hater software is only part of the future (so you're right), at least one developer - Nintendo - is really caught up in it. And they're huge. Kinda sad, i think.

Mashing said:
It just makes me laugh at the COMPLETE 360 (excuse the pun) this generation has taken. Nintendo seems to be the only one to "get it". Sony and Microsoft seem so out of touch of where the market is heading. It's gotta make you laugh, no matter who you are.

Come on now. Microsoft have Scene It.

Nintendo can release 1000 non-games a year if they release one game that looks so much better than anything else like Mario Galaxy. These people saying Nintendo have abandoned gaming while they're demoing the most pure game they've released in years...seriously now people, shut up.

Core407

Banned
mentalfloss said:
Ehhh... It's technically pretty good, but you have to admit it looks pretty generic.

Generic? What is so generic about it. If the story good and the game is fun then what's the problem? All they need to do is create a compelling experience that grabs people.

MercuryLS

Banned
If Sony's E3 show doesn't get you excited then nothing will.

Looks like they're still hung up over price/marketshare. That's a big problem, but the content is coming and soon too.

Come on, Sony's presentation was just really boring. The Chewbacca touch was nice...until they showed it was to promote a PSP with Vader on the back of it for Star Wars Battlefront. That edition may be JUST for PSP, but how can one tell that its better than Battlefront II?

Also, a lot of games were already covered by Microsoft's presentation, so showing those games were not neccesary. NBA 08 showed the NBA 07 logo during the trailer, not a good sign there. MGS 4 is great, Killzone 2?......not really seeing a reason to care.

Nintendo didnt show any new major games because they're already shown. Mario Galaxy, Zelda DS. Thats pretty much it. Sure, they've got some plastic to work with the Wii, and thats pretty much what I thought it'd be like. Make a lot of plastic add-ons that are fairly cheap, and at least they're bundling a game to go with all of them. Gives a little incentive to get them.

Microsoft. Uhh...games for Windows. Gears, Lost Planet and Viva Pinata. Good stuff there, but....shooter shooter shooter shooter strategy game shooter shooter shooter shooter. Not a good sign.

Deku

Banned
Sony did everything the armchair analysts told them to do with this E3 and apparently it wasn't enough with Forbes.

Perhaps fanservice press conferences tend not to resonate as well as expected with the public.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Monk said:
FFS

1. These 3 press conference were not aimed at gamers or prospective buyers. It was aimed at retailers, telling them what the next big thing will be.

2. WiiFit is something i am interested in, i am woefully out of shape and cant get any exercise regime going. If it is going to cut into something, it would be the imaginary exercise time that i want.

3. Nintnedo isnt ignoringing us, with the overwhelmingly positive fedback from games like Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3. It is very hard to say that Nintendo doesnt cater to gamers. If anything Nintnedo and MS are the only ones left looking at the gaming side rather than the graphics side of gaming.

Quoted for ****ING LOGIC.

Amir0x said:
you're right sure but i think it would be easier to see if Nintendo actually seemed to be giving equal effort to unique and fresh 'hardcore/epic' games, instead of making sure the highlight and focus is this game hater software. They give us yet another Mario Kart, and of course the lineup of games we knew was coming - essentially more games with Mario in the title and Metroid. Look at Microsoft, look at Sony. They have this diverse, interesting lineup in a range of genres and focus on all of them in turn. Sony has its "non-games/casual stuff" with EyeToy software, Microsoft is getting into the game with its Scene it shit. But they also have brilliant looking new IPs like Infamous or Uncharted or Mass Effect or Bioshock.

Where is this from Nintendo? They give us more mascots, but why not try to create truly groundbreaking epic/hardcore games too? What do they have? Disaster was no where to be seen. Forever Blue is like a diving screensaver or some shit.

If they showed equal focus, it wouldn't be so bad. But what they keep showcasing is that we're not just far in the back of their mind, and they just occasionally throw us scraps. So while this game hater software is only part of the future (so you're right), at least one developer - Nintendo - is really caught up in it. And they're huge. Kinda sad, i think.

:shrug: Nothing to argue here.

See, Amir0x just talked about that side of the argument in a non-sensationalist way and there's nothing I can argue about, as he made good points. Take note people. :p

No... but it defiantly gives you an idea of where gaming is going when you see what one of the biggest game companies is putting out. Wasn't their conference mostly about casual games. Change is gradual.
s
Because that gets the media attention.

This is WHY Nintendo is being successful. Yes, they're focusing a lot on these "non-games". Because people LIKE THEM. But here's an interesting fact: Nintendo WOULD NOT BE SUCCESSFUL if they were ONLY focusing on those.

They KNOW they need traditional games as well.

Do you have any idea how happy I've been with my 360/DS/Wii?

I've been playing an unbelievably diverse lineup of games for a while now. I haven't been so into gaming in quite some time, to be honest.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Just suck it up guys. All 3 shows were very bad, Sony had the most to gain and they didnt do anything with it.

Just wait for the good things to come from E3.

OokieSpookie said:
It disturbs me that there are people out there who seriously think this Nintendo success is good for gaming as a whole.

So, expanding the marketplace is bad how??? Every single person who buys a Wii or DS for non-games now has the potential to be exposed to, and purchase, OTHER types of games. If they were not gaming at all, this would be an impossibilty.

Wii Fit is alright, but it isn't a game. I thought E3 was about the gaming industry. It is nice that Nintendo is expanding into the non-game market, but Wii Fit is that - a non-game.

Does it deserve attention? Maybe. Does it belong at E3? Probably not. Yes I am aware that E3 is about investors bla bla bla, but they should know that E3 is also about the gamers and the fanboys. Why are they inviting gaming media if it isn't?

Sigh... maybe I should upgrade my PC rig.

fernoca said:
That was the big difference.
People also need to keep in mind that Killzone 2..is..Killzone 2.
The first one was not a big seller, nor a system seller and neither the PSP game was... (as much as I loved both)...
Unless Sony does a hell of a job advertising it, the game is just going to sell to the same people that bought a PS3 or that already wanted a PS3. Which is good, but no Halo 3 good..considering that Sony is banking this game as the Halo 3 killer.

Yup Killzone 1 was a terrible seller with almost 4 million sold. Just terrible.

mrkgoo

fortified_concept said:
so the gaming industry has now been reduced to catering to and making huge profits off of people who don't even enjoy the hobby we're in? ...and this is a good thing why?
This needs to be quoted again.

Because with huge profits comes a huge demographic - and that means they're are more likely to take a risk at releasing titles alongside their 'bread and butter'. You can afford to make a niche game even if only sells to like 5% of the market, if the market is HUGE.

theBishop said:
I spoken to a few people who were repulsed by Nintendo and Microsoft coming off as incredibly phony. Between Jeff Bell's attempt at ebonics and Nintendo's idealized family videos, both went over the line into patronizing their audience.

Exactly, Sony came out with a lot of tech, which is what they're known for, and a laundry list of potentially great games, which is all they aimed to show. People wanted them to show games and what the PS3 has that the others don't, and they did just that. Whether or not, you liked any of the games shown is different. We're simply arguing who had the best conference here, and, given their overall goal, it's hard not to see why Sony succeeded.

For those who disagreed with me on Nintendo, I, too, enjoyed the Wii Fit part, but that was a small segment of an hour+ conference. The rest of the conference was an endless parade of charts, numbers, and montage videos of testemonials to Nintendo's greatness. At times, it was like they were trying to convince us that they could do no wrong.
"So people say we aren't serious about online gaming. We are but, you just haven't noticed." There was a lot of that, and it just came off as wrong to me.
They showed demos, sure, but given the space and time they devoted to charts and such, they totally could have fit more videos for Wii and DS games.

EDIT: WTF?! Amir0x and I agreeing on something. MY MIND IS BLOWN.

Saoh

OokieSpookie said:

wtf, nobody is dying because Nintendo is doing what they want to. if you don't like it, don't buy it. i honestly don't see how Forbes or WiiFit can affect your life... nothing changed from Nintendogs. no company killed good franchises for Brain Age.

It disturbs me that there are people out there who seriously think Nintendo's gaming tactics will take over the world. jesus, give the Killzone trailer a break, it's just another pretty FPS.

Jado

Banned
fortified_concept said:
This needs to be quoted again.

Stop being ridiculous. Traditional gaming is still coming from every handheld and console. The point of that article, albeit sensationalist, is that the mainstream press which caters to mainstreams readers (i.e. not GAF) is not and will not be interested in more FPS. How hard is it for you to accept that just as some of us aren't into simple casual games like Wii Fit, Nintendogs or Brain Training, there are also people who don't give a damn about franchises with steeper learning curves like Halo, DMC, Killzone, even some of Nintendo's own games like Zelda and Mario?

jman2050

Amir0x said:

Not that I completely disagree with you (Nintendo needs to really step up their games aimed towards the core gamer), but I find it sad that we have what is, by all accounts, the most inventive and creative platformer in YEARS, and people keep saying it's 'more of the same' just because it has the title 'Mario slapped onto it.

I think what Nintendo has shown over the years is that it can use its big IPs to sell their new experiences, rather than conforming to a narrow standard BECAUSE it uses a certain IP. I seriously doubt people would be this disgruntled if Mario Galaxy were called '[insert new character] Galaxy.'

You know Killzone 2 looks good. But the demo looked like every other "intense" FPS scene.

Saoh said:
wtf, nobody is dying because Nintendo is doing what they want to. if you don't like it, don't buy it. i honestly don't see how Forbes or WiiFit can affect your life... nothing changed from Nintendogs. no company killed good franchises for Brain Age.

It disturbs me that there are people out there who seriously think Nintendo's gaming tactics will take over the world. jesus, give the Killzone trailer a break, it's just another pretty FPS.
You don't think other gaming companies are noticing that Nintendo's casual games not only make a lot of money but are cheaper to make?

Why does E3 turns nearly every poster into an over dramatic elitist rambling asswipe? Shit, I'd be far more motivated to quit gaming because "core gamers" act like complete asses every year over some pointless ****ing PRESS CONFERENCE (not the event itself just a PRESS CONFERENCE) and then make retarded threads like "Who do you think won E3?". E3 just ****ing started you moron. How can you win something that hasn't finished? That's far more motivation to quit gaming than any "Non-game".

Mau ®

I stopped reading when they said the best thing Sony has to offer is a Darth Vader PSP. Did they just watch the first 15 minutes of the conference and called it quits?

I wouldnt pay attention to such lousy articles.

Fio

The same people who are bashing Wii Fit praises the sequel of one of the shityest last gen FPS's. wow, just wow.

Sharp

Guys step down from damage-control and relax. You don't need to defend Nintendo constantly, seriously. The only reason people even bother with these arguments is because you're all so defensive about it.

kevm3

This is Forbes. Who cares what they think of the conference? This certainly had me impressed, and once gamers start getting hold of the media from this conference, it should help Sony out quite a bit.

Core407

Banned
Bartman3010 said:
Come on, Sony's presentation was just really boring. The Chewbacca touch was nice...until they showed it was to promote a PSP with Vader on the back of it for Star Wars Battlefront. That edition may be JUST for PSP, but how can one tell that its better than Battlefront II?

Also, a lot of games were already covered by Microsoft's presentation, so showing those games were not neccesary. NBA 08 showed the NBA 07 logo during the trailer, not a good sign there. MGS 4 is great, Killzone 2?......not really seeing a reason to care.

Nintendo didnt show any new major games because they're already shown. Mario Galaxy, Zelda DS. Thats pretty much it. Sure, they've got some plastic to work with the Wii, and thats pretty much what I thought it'd be like. Make a lot of plastic add-ons that are fairly cheap, and at least they're bundling a game to go with all of them. Gives a little incentive to get them.

Microsoft. Uhh...games for Windows. Gears, Lost Planet and Viva Pinata. Good stuff there, but....shooter shooter shooter shooter strategy game shooter shooter shooter shooter. Not a good sign.

What they showed for third party content was all the same but as far as first party efforts go - Sony had it in the bag.

GT5 Prologue, Infamous, Killzone 2 & Echocrhome made the show.

jman2050 said:
Not that I completely disagree with you (Nintendo needs to really step up their games aimed towards the core gamer), but I find it sad that we have what is, by all accounts, the most inventive and creative platformer in YEARS, and people keep saying it's 'more of the same' just because it has the title 'Mario slapped onto it.

I think what Nintendo has shown over the years is that it can use its big IPs to sell their new experiences, rather than conforming to a narrow standard BECAUSE it uses a certain IP. I seriously doubt people would be this disgruntled if Mario Galaxy were called '[insert new character] Galaxy.'

i'd like to get excited about Mario Galaxies, but nintendo seems hell bent on not showing it to me.

xaosslug

those waxing lyrical about how Nintendo/Wii is growing the market need to wake the eff up. Wii is selling, but by-and-large to a specific demographic. Even 3rd parties can see that, hence their tunnel visioned Wii support.

fernoca

DemonSwordsman said:
Yup Killzone 1 was a terrible seller with almost 4 million sold. Just terrible.
Yeah, worldwide..on a 80+ million userbase back then.
Now a sequel is being relased and hyped on a 4+ million userbase.

The PSP game didnt' even sold a million copies on a 20+ million userbase and:
-It was a great game
-It looked great
-It played great

Jirotrom

jman2050 said:

I have to agree with you Mario galaxy looks fantastic but I believe the gamers are pissed becasue WiiFit was the highlight of a show aimed at the mainstream press. They have the "sell out" feeling right now. Its true..Nintendo has sold out, so what my parents actually respect my like for games now. My GF is interested in gaming now and actually will try to play more hardcore games. Wii=gateway drug to hardcore gaming.

Ranger X

crazyscreenwriter said:
Yeah. Exactly. There's even a big poster stating that in the conference room of FORBES.... /sarcasm.

They simply saw Sony's press conference differently through different eyes (those of a business magazine) than you did (those of a fanboy).

Wow. The hate is strong in you. I think i did rang YOUR fanboy bell there.

Core407

Banned
fernoca said:
Yeah, worldwide..on a 80+ million userbase back then.
Now a sequel is being relased and hyped on a 4+ million userbase.

The PSP game didnt' even sold a million copies on a 20+ million userbase and:
-It was a great game
-It looked great
-It played great

I'm not trying to downplay anything but shooters don't usually sell well on the PS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom