• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF was right; ZombiU is legit.

Maybe ill buy it if its cheap at Gamestop. Ive heard mixed things though.

The melee mechanic is one-dimensional (one weapon, one animation, no dynamics) and there were some game breaking bugs, but otherwise the game was really solid for a game that came from an incredibly rushed and troubled development (I think it had more or less a year) after being salvaged from the remains of Killer Freaks From Outer Space.

I remember the Gamespot reviewer gave it a 4 or whatever because they were too worried about losing ammo and just meleed the entire time. Unsurprisingly had a monotonous experience. GI was just weird since they were shitting on it from when it was revealed.

One thing I will say is that the narrative is a missed opportunity. Outside from the mechanics, a good way to describe the rest of the game is 'detached'.

I thought Zombi U was a fantastic game and was a proper horror game as opposed The Evil Within (and to a lesser extent Alien Isolation). Sadly, it was the only game I owned for Wii U and subsequently sold the system several months later as nothing on the horizon interested me. I originally bought it on impulse off of Ebay about a month after launch, cost $300 including Zombi U (and the system and game were brand new, never opened).

It's a really fantastic game. I loved playing through it at launch. I still look at some of my Miiverse posts from back then with the screen shots I took and it still gives me the creeps.

This one is truly underrated and another one that is completely different but also one of my favorite Wii U games is Lego City Undercover. It's super funny and has a huge world to explore. If you're like me and enjoy looking around the game world and wondering "how in the world do I get up there and nab that item?" then this is another game you'll be glad is in your Wii U library.

hatchx

Banned
One of the best games on the WiiU. Buckingham Palace and the Nursery are staples for me.

Definitely an underrated and awesome game.

NateDrake

As awesome as the campaign is, the multiplayer is just as awesome. Had that mode been online, this game would have surely been more popular. Ubisoft & Nintendo did ZombiU an injustice by not advertising it more during the Wii U launch. I didn't see a single TV commercial for the game air. So much potential wasted.

NewGame

Banned
Try survivor mode. Perma death restart the whole game if you die.

Makes approaching zombie hordes really tense. Scrounging for items is extremely satisfying and nerve recking.

Rougelike fans should really check this game out. It's basically the closest thing you'll get to a big huge console 3D AAA rougelike. Level design remains the same however enemy encounters shuffle and change (especially with other friends playing, they change the game a lot!) item and weapon availability changes drastically and you can actively change how and where you deal with zombies by creating boarded up doors. It's a fantastic game design through and through.

Multiplayer is also a laugh. Basically you become a zombie dungeon master and a helpless friend has to get out while you try to trap and kill them.

Majestad

Banned
As awesome as the campaign is, the multiplayer is just as awesome. Had that mode been online, this game would have surely been more popular. Ubisoft & Nintendo did ZombiU an injustice by not advertising it more during the Wii U launch. I didn't see a single TV commercial for the game air. So much potential wasted.

They had that ZombiU bundle.

Nintendo would be smart to pull-off a Bayonetta 2 here, and fund a ZombiU 2. It would be amazing.

NateDrake

They had that ZombiU bundle.

Nintendo would be smart to pull-off a Bayonetta 2 here, and fund a ZombiU 2. It would be amazing.

The bundle was nice but the game would have been an easy sell with a great TV ad. The game needed a greater presence aside from positive word of mouth because of the lukewarm reviews. Imagine if Ubi/Nintendo marketed ZombiU like an Assassin's Creed game back at launch.

I want/need ZombiU 2 to happen.

Ubisoft probably has it on the back burner. They did say a while ago that they had a game basically finished, but it was sitting on the "shelf" until the Wii U sold more.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/9/5793660/ubisoft-unreleased-wii-u-games
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-finished-wii-u-game-until-console-sells-more
This is a family game.

Crom

I know one thing...

It's damn sure a MUCH better game and survival horror than The Evil fucking Within as far as I'm concerned. That game had it's moments, and it's certainly decent, but it doesn't hold a candle to Zombi U. Maybe Alien is on point, I still have yet to play it.

You better, unless you want your save data wiped clean. Shit feels awful :(

I liked the Evil Within but Zombi U was a better game.

I know Alien gets praise on GAF but I found it to be boring (although the androids were creepy). Zombi U is by far a better survival horror game.

The bundle was nice but the game would have been an easy sell with a great TV ad. The game needed a greater presence aside from positive word of mouth because of the lukewarm reviews. Imagine if Ubi/Nintendo marketed ZombiU like an Assassin's Creed game back at launch.

I want/need ZombiU 2 to happen.

This is a family game.

Really? I haven't read up much on it beyond their initial statement.

The Beard

It does look pretty good but it has such a terrible name. ZombiU? They obviously put a lot of thought into that one. The comically bad name combined with having Jonah Hill on the cover, probably led to a lot of people not taking the game seriously.

It's one of few horror games I truly find frightening.

But it has its flaws. What I don't like are scripted zombie appearances which completely break the immersion for me.

LaNaranja

I appreciate how few jump scares it has. It has less than half a dozen scripted "boo!" moments, for the most part if you are careful nothing will catch you particularly off guard.

I really dug it after not expecting much. It nailed that survival horror feel of scrounging for supplies and having to plan your routes. The melee combat was a bit simplistic but in the end the idea was that one zombie is no big deal to take down but as soon as there are two it is a much more dangerous affair. More than that and you are usually better off just not fighting (depending on your individual player and supplies of course). Love that you really have to take time to aim and shoot also. This game really reminded me of a new version of RE3 that is in the first person, with the way the cities is connected and the general fragility.

Was pretty much set on getting a Wii U early next year and this thread has sealed it.

I kind of ignored the existence of this game when it came out as the name ZombiU made it sound gimmicky or something to me (plus I wasn't even considering owning a Wii U at that point) but looks like my preconceptions were wrong.

It's only $19.95 at my local JB hifi apparently, might even pick up a copy when I go there to do some christmas shopping over the next week and just wait a month or so for the console to play it on haha.

London as the setting for a survival horror game just sounds fantastic. As a huge fan of survival horror I'm extremely keen to give it a go.

I remember that cricket bat was my best friend
dat Shaun of the Dead homage

kill_it_shaun_of_the_dead.gif

jeemer

The multiplayer sounds like brilliant fun! Can it be played with the gamepad & wiimote, or gamepad & pro controller? On the amazon description it mentions the gamepad and "classic controller", which I don't have :/

Neff

The only bad things about ZombiU are the over-use and repetition of the cricket bat, the fact that it's rather short, and the bugs (which I believe were patched out some time ago).

Otherwise, the game's a fucking classic.

It's one of few horror games I truly find frightening.

The palpable apprehension you feel when you need to confront more than one zombie isn't something you come across in games often. Crowds of them can inspire genuine fear. The game really is masterful at intimidating you, and makes you weigh up every possible decision and outcome, because death is sudden and costly if you're not prepared.

To me it's as good as Alien Isolation.
Two fantastic survival horror games.
It was the first Wii U game I've played and the one that sold me the Wii U so early in its life.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Great game, one of the few recent horror titles that feels genuinely tense. I loved the motion tracker on the GamePad.

Vitacat

Hmm...

I bought ZombiU used at Gamestop a few weeks ago after I got my WiiU, played a few levels, and didn't care for it much. It seemed really rough around the edges, and I kept thinking I'd be better off playing TLOU on my PS4 again instead. Ended up returning it.

Maybe I should give it another shot since I'm loving Wii U so much.

Does it get much more interesting as you advance? Last place I reached was this town I think.

El Odio

Banned
I really need to get back to this game. I'm not too far into it but I absolutely love how it manages to stay unnerving the entire time. I swear 90% of the time I keep scanning the area because I'm expecting an ambush of sorts.

oatmeal

Banned
Remains my favorite "Wii U" experience.

Not the best game, but the best full implementation of the systems capabilities.

I love the game but can't bring myself to complete a Survivor run.

JohnWest

Purely anecdotal but the game was too scary for me to finish thus making it a good horror game for everyone else.

yeah, the demo was already too much for me, which is a shame cause i'd love to play it.. one of my favorite movies is 28 days later, but the obvious advantage of movies vs games here is that movies can scare the crap out of me and then they still keep going.. i can't react reasonably when i'm scared so i screw up horror games -_-

Just-When-I-Think-You-Couldnt-Possibly-Be-Any-Dumber-You-Go-and-Do-Something-Like-This..-and-Totally-Redeem-Yourself-In-Dumb-and-Dumber.gif

If Ubisoft made Zombiu2 for WiiU

I remember someone saying that it was in development for a bit, but it was cancelled.

It makes sense...I don't believe the title turned a profit...and it's just not good business to pursue a franchise that isn't profitable.

Only got it because it was bundles with my wii-u and then I was reluctant to play the thing because I was zombie'd out (had been since the first dead rising).

I'd day one a sequel if they ever made it though, such a great game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'd really buy day 1 a proper sequel. One of my favourite game in the last year, probably the best horror game in a decade (Eternal darkness was 2002, right?), one of the best wii u games gamepad wise, probably the best launch game this gen (at least as new IP)

Bumhat

If anyone goes through my old posts I'll sound like a broken record, but: ZombiU is amazing and it cheers me up whenever I read threads like this. I got the Wii U at launch and while I thought NintendoLand was great fun, it was ZombiU that got the most playtime. I remember being back at the family house over the Christmas holidays and playing the game into the small hours after everyone else had gone to bed. Good times!

Three things to note for prospective buyers:

1. ZombiU is now super cheap and I would have easily recommended it at full price
  2. While I loved the game's relatively slow first few hours, things pick up dramatically as the game continues so don't be deterred
  3. I'm not sure if this acts as a point for or against the game, but: on my first playthrough I experienced a game-breaking glitch literally fifteen minutes from the end of the game. While this was annoying, I immediately replayed the game from the start simply because I'd been having so much fun with it

EDIT: I couldn't really talk about ZombiU without discussing you know what with people who've finished the game:
holy balls, the nursery! Talk about absolutely nailing the atmosphere, dread just permeated the whole thing. It's one of the most memorable environments I've ever encountered in a game, and the sense of relief when you escape is almost palpable. The bit when you fall through the floor, your map goes out, and you realise that the horrible thing that's been randomly appearing is down in the basement with you is just a masterclass in building terror.
God, I love this game!

I gave it a try around its launch when I was ill. I made it up to a spawn closet carnival or something, where I died over and over again. It was too stressful, so I dropped it then to play something simpler. I still plan on revisiting it one day, since it had some pretty cool ideas, and its implementation of the gamepad was neat. Perhaps over the upcoming holiday break.

I remember someone saying that it was in development for a bit, but it was cancelled.

It makes sense...I don't believe the title turned a profit...and it's just not good business to pursue a franchise that isn't profitable.

except that now, the first title gathered so much fans (probably thanks to being dirt cheap) that I am sure that a low budget sequel (don't tell me the first is high budget) could turn into a profit.
But it won't happen because it wouldn't gather as much profit as an assassin creed or any game on PS4 XBOX ONE.

Varg

Banned
Excellent game buy beware of some game breaking glitches. I had to start over twice because of this. Also, try to fill up your friends list with others who have the game. So fun killing them and grabbing the Loot they had.

Top Bottom