• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF was right; ZombiU is legit.

Zombi u for me is the greatest game in the wii u and i want a sequel.Why ubisoft don't make it?
Nintendo should' ve have financed that game when it had the opportunity just like iit did with Bayonetta. If the information we had about how Ubi opperates the Zombi U team probably has been disbanded.

i haven't finished the game but my feelings for it align with many of the posters here, the game is a kind of diamond in the rough waiting for someone ti polish. Perfect fit for the Wii U Gamepad also.

Just got about 90 minutes into this game. Love it. Very slow and deliberate, and so far each and every zombie feels dangerous, creating tension. Just digging into the backpack for a granola bar, removing your eyes from the screen, causes fear. Very creative design.

They were making a sequel, but Zombie U bombed critically and sales wises so it was cancelled.

Seems like the WiiU is finally getting going though, sales wise. It'd be nice to see some developers take another chance with it. Kind of unfair judging sales from a launch title.

I can't finish this game. I'm right at the end, I think, but every time I go into the next portion, the game hard locks my Wii. It's been months since I last tried, though, maybe I should try again and hope the firmware updates have fixed something.

Discomurf

...just saw some rumor that this might be ported to XB1/PS4 -- due to the gamepad's integration would this even be possible?

impact

Banned
The lack of variety in the melee combat is my only complaint. Hopefully fixed in the sequel (cmon Ubi do something right plz)

majik13

I can't finish this game. I'm right at the end, I think, but every time I go into the next portion, the game hard locks my Wii. It's been months since I last tried, though, maybe I should try again and hope the firmware updates have fixed something.

Love the game and always praise it, but game hard locked on me too near the end( I guess?) Lost probabaly about 2-3 hours of time. I never turned it back on since. Its been probably almost 2 years? I always thought I would play it again and I hope I do. i just need a solid 3 hours at night to play, which is hard to come by these days. But now this post has me woried.

TheMoon

...just saw some rumor that this might be ported to XB1/PS4 -- due to the gamepad's integration would this even be possible?

It's not a rumor. It's random speculation. There's a difference.

Of course it's "possible" but it would be a major downgrade and stupid. But it's possible. Any game can be ported to any other platform if you don't care about cutting features.

oatmeal

Banned
One thing I disliked, and only slightly, was the item that auto-scans.

I get it. But manually scanning every five paces added an insane amount of tension.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Just made it to Buckingham Palace. This game is awesome! Hell of a lot better than I imagined it would be.

ArjanN

It's not a rumor. It's random speculation. There's a difference.

Of course it's "possible" but it would be a major downgrade and stupid. But it's possible. Any game can be ported to any other platform if you don't care about cutting features.

Eh, I feel you could port it just fine.

I'll agree the port talk is just speculation though, that rumored Wii U -> PC/XBOX/PS4 port could be lots of other games as well.

oatmeal

Banned
Just made it to Buckingham Palace. This game is awesome! Hell of a lot better than I imagined it would be.
I wish people would focus on the Metroid-ish parts. How the world opens up more and more as you go. It's really well designed for a launch title, even if it could have used a good 4-6 months of spit shining.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Game is fucking legit. Probably the best zombie game I've ever played. It's like a first person Resident Evil with the wacky puzzles removed and the tension and stakes ratcheted up.

That there will never be a sequel is a tragedy.

One of my favorite games of recent memory. Very little of that game has been forgotten, and that's how I know it was truly memorable to play.

Didn't like the
faux arena part when you're the prisoner.
I had a pretty badass character when I got to that, and I don't see how you could survive the first time playing it.

Other than that and the lack of variety of melee weapons, game was brilliant.

Third-Drifter

Neo Member
Great underrated launch title. Rough around the edges, such as repeating transitional rooms, but it's true survival horror. Completely marginalized by early reviews by morons who docked it for not being balls to the walls action (GameSpot I'm looking at you).

It definitely rewards you to keep the survivor alive, like gaining skills in the firearms and actually building a respectable arsenal. At the endgame escape I was packing so much heat and went guns blazing it would make Rambo jealous. Only thing missing at that moment was a cigar haha!

Exile20

Game is fucking legit. Probably the best zombie game I've ever played. It's like a first person Resident Evil with the wacky puzzles removed and the tension and stakes ratcheted up.

That there will never be a sequel is a tragedy.

It is a great game. I dont finish games much but I did with this one. Really enjoyed it.

Hard for me to call Zombi U a sales failure when it has outsold Assassin creed 3, 4, and watchdogs combined. I think it sold enough for a sequel plus it is a fan/owner of console fav for most people.

No, it just means those other games were sales failures, too.

What Ubisoft could take from this is that Wii U owners are more interested in unique games than shitty ports of Ubisoft Game 8, and that with decent marketing they could have a franchise or two with low budgets and decent sales. But they're Ubisoft.

oatmeal

Banned
I'm pretty sure I saw that it sold more than 500k. Maybe more. Can't rmemebr. What a useless post this is :/

******** says 830k (I know, I know...)

I have to imagine a sequel would do better considering the system doesn't have an awful stench around it anymore.

I would like a sequel. Finished the game 2 years ago.
I'm not sure dying at the end then seeing the helicopter scene counts as me beating the game. That damn zombie killed me when I was reloading. The local nursery was my favorite part of the game because of the atmosphere and listening to children's laugh was daunting. Then I had to fight that ghost, I stayed in one place waiting for her to appear instead of me moving around to find her because of how dark the room was.
I don't think I would replay this game again, but it was fun.

yes those were failures but I think what publishers SHOULD be seeing is bringing exclusive content to Wii U marketed well can do fairly good. I think zombie U by christmas 2015 will see 1 million in sales. I know some may say whoop di do so what, but I think that the fact the game is continuing to sell should tell Ubi something.

Where do you see that?

Hard for me to call Zombi U a sales failure when it has outsold Assassin creed 3, 4, and watchdogs combined. I think it sold enough for a sequel plus it is a fan/owner of console fav for most people.
It's a misleading way to paint the game's success, when the Assassins and Watch Dogs put up pathetic numbers on the Wii U.
I am not one big into checking gaming sales. I think every one knows a site like VG charts is not 100% accurate but it should give you a good place to start. i know about a year and a half ago the game was close to 600k on VG charts and now it is sitting at 830k. I could be wrong but you can even use GAF as a source. We have had many of these threads of people buying Wii U's and getting zombi U as one of their first handful of games. SO I could be wrong about christmas 2015 but I do think at some point this game will hit 1 million units. More than the sales though is that this was a quality title and IMO deserves a sequel. A sequel that gives more options to the player and take better advantage of the hardware.
You should never use VG charts for anything, it's not reliable data.

The point is, Zombi U could end up selling 2 million copies on the Wii U and that doesn't mean it was a worthwehile game financially speaking for Ubisoft.

It's not just about units sold but return of investment more importantly. The game has been sold at a discounted price for years, sub 10 even in many important places.

i do agree the game deserved a sequel. i also think that the responsability for making a sequel happen rests as much on NIntendo shoulder's as on Ubisoft ones.
Of course is possible, it could work fine and there's a possible PS4 version using the Vita and it should come even closer. Not better than with the Gamepad as it's more robust input wise than Sony's handheld.

The game takes advantage of the divided attention between screens, it's very well integrated into the design. It also uses the Gamepad as an inmersion tool. Remember you are just not checking inventory in there, it's also used to interact with the environment (punching keypad codes, removing barricades, lockpicking). All the documents you read are presented in your hands. Aiming through the scope is done on the subscreen replicating the real action with more fidelity. The radio chatter comes of through the Gamepad speakers as well as the motion detector like in an Alien game.

yeah they did but i do not think it should be ignored. yes i know VG charts is not reliable but what other sources are there? did nintendo or Ubi ever give offical numbers? I also agree with Nintendo should be seeing the fan fare around this game . I would hate to not have a sequel because I can see Ubi doing a Zombi U 2 ps4/xb1 just to spite Wii U.
Tron i wont try to change your opinion or anything. But don't you think using "spite" to describe Ubisoft behavior with the Wii U is a bit unwarranted?

Of the 3rd party publishers Ubisoft is the one that put up the most effort offering quality games and some of them took great advantage of the platform distinctive feature. The fault on how things turned out rests on Nintendo's decisions and the Wii U's user base.

Every time a Zombi U thread pops up, my hearts breaks a little bit more. I want a Wii U sequel SO badly. Damn, Ubi, just make it happen already. I promise you can have my money.

TheMoon

lack of official sources doesn't mean we can suddenly start using VGC as a credible basis for anything. garbage site is garbage.

ZombiU has been sub-20 and even lower in certain spots since a few months into 2013. It could have sold 2 million since then and it would be the equivalent of 200k of proper $60 copies. All that would do is suggest that there might be interest to try this again in some form or another.

I am not one big into checking gaming sales. I think every one knows a site like VG charts is not 100% accurate but it should give you a good place to start. i know about a year and a half ago the game was close to 600k on VG charts and now it is sitting at 830k. I could be wrong but you can even use GAF as a source. We have had many of these threads of people buying Wii U's and getting zombi U as one of their first handful of games. SO I could be wrong about christmas 2015 but I do think at some point this game will hit 1 million units. More than the sales though is that this was a quality title and IMO deserves a sequel. A sequel that gives more options to the player and take better advantage of the hardware.

I'm pretty sure I saw that it sold more than 500k. Maybe more. Can't rmemebr. What a useless post this is :/

******** says 830k (I know, I know...)

I have to imagine a sequel would do better considering the system doesn't have an awful stench around it anymore.
Please don't use VG Chartz as your source. They make up their numbers. It's been proven several times.
As a word of warning, it's also a bannable offense here.

yeah they did but i do not think it should be ignored. yes i know VG charts is not reliable but what other sources are there? did nintendo or Ubi ever give offical numbers? I also agree with Nintendo should be seeing the fan fare around this game . I would hate to not have a sequel because I can see Ubi doing a Zombi U 2 ps4/xb1 just to spite Wii U.
Just because there might not be sources, it doesn't mean it's wise to use a random source that might well be completely inaccurate.

Anyway, I'd say it might've sold relatively decently at launch, and sure, after that it has been selling at least some copies (maybe 100k, maybe 200-300k, hard to say), but those copies have sold at low prices so they make very little money to Ubi.

jimi_dini

ZombiU has been sub-20 and even lower in certain spots since a few months into 2013.

I bought mine a year ago for like 5pounds. I actually feel bad for paying that little for such a great game :/ Would buy a sequel on Wii U without second thought for full price. And I normally never do this for Non-Nintendo games.

I think it's the best 3rd party game that I played in years. Better than Dark + Demon's Souls.

cacildo

ZombiU is the best broken game ever made

Ive been thinking about playing it again (even if i promised my wife i would never play it again after finishing on survival) and making a thread called "Everything that is broken on ZombiU (and its still brilliant)"

TheMoon

I bought mine a year ago for like 5pounds. I actually feel bad for paying that little for such a great game :/ Would buy a sequel on Wii U without second thought for full price. And I normally never do this for Non-Nintendo games.

I think it's the best 3rd party game that I played in years. Better than Dark + Demon's Souls.

I went so far and bought the game twice. Once on day one for full price and then a year later during the Holiday sale on the eShop for 15.

I'm still mad at that "leaked" GS review riddled with incompetence and ignorance on the writers part.

oatmeal

Banned
Please don't use VG Chartz as your source. They make up their numbers. It's been proven several times.
As a word of warning, it's also a bannable offense here.

Just because there might not be sources, it doesn't mean it's wise to use a random source that might well be completely inaccurate..

I thought it was only weekly sales that they were bad at but the cumulative later on werenmore accurate.

I went so far and bought the game twice. Once on day one for full price and then a year later during the Holiday sale on the eShop for 15.

I'm still mad at that "leaked" GS review riddled with incompetence and ignorance on the writers part.

Heh. I did the same thing except it was during the "we are sorry" Ubi sale after Rahman was pushed. 45.

I thought it was only weekly sales that they were bad at but the cumulative later on werenmore accurate.

No. There are countless instances where historical or cumulative sales on Chartz are extremely inaccurate compared to actual numbers.

Here is an example:

Here's a completely random example of historical Chartz inaccuracy.

The Xbox 360 version of Borderlands 2 was released in the September 2012 NPD reporting period. It had 2 NPD weeks of tracking (the week ending on the 22nd, and the week ending on the 29th).

According to VG Chartz, the 360 version of Borderlands 2 sold 774,956 copies in its opening month.

lUA3KGN.png

According to NPD, the 360 version of Borderlands 2 sold 1.08 million copies in its opening month.

That's a difference of 305K that VG Chartz is off by, and that's NOT including the inaccuracies of the PS3 SKU.

A 305K error margin for ONE SKU in ONE month (when we're talking about 775K vs. 1.08 million) is pretty goddamn significant.

The last stretch of the game ups the tension quiet significantly. Not necessary by injecting feelings of fear but more of anxiety. Is always interesting when a game awakes strong emotions although, these days, im not quiet sure if that's the type of experience i want to take away from a game XD

Josh5890

I started playing the game last year. I made it to the third chapter and hit a game breaking glitch. I haven't touched the game since.

oatmeal

Banned
Loaded up my survivor last night. He's in the pre buckingham stuff. I got too scared of pressing on and turned it off. My guy will live forever if he doesn't try to survive.

I can't remember is the bed the only save spot?

Loaded up my survivor last night. He's in the pre buckingham stuff. I got too scared of pressing on and turned it off. My guy will live forever if he doesn't try to survive.

No. There are other beds to sleep in

Came across 4 beds, that i remember from memory.

Btw, does anyone knows how invading works in this game? Are there pre established spawn points or the invation takes place in the actual room anpther used died?

Also it would have been amazing if the pictures from the Zombify app were used to be in the head of zombies in game.

I played this on a friend's console. I just couldn't get into it. I feel like I played for a long time.
I got to a junkyard with a mounted machine gun
. Wasn't for me.

Top Bottom