• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF was right; ZombiU is legit.

tmarques

Still can't believe I died from a frigging fall some 30 seconds before the end of the game.

I had fun, but never felt like going back to it.

Still can't believe I died from a frigging fall some 30 seconds before the end of the game.

That happened to me. I didn't fall far at all, either. Just a bit into the bottom of a vent, something that wouldn't kill a normal person. Then I lost interest when I saw it'd glitched and closed all of the fast travel areas.

I went back months later and finished it, though.

OtakuReborn124

Neo Member
For what it's worth coming from someone who is usually too scared to play most horror games, I actually REALLY enjoyed ZombiU. I got it when I bought the Wii U close to launch as the launch game, since it seemed to be the game that best demonstrated the gamepad, and I was not disappointed. The game can get pretty tense at parts and when you do finally make it through a tough area, it'll be thanks to your brains (and possibly a healthy dose of luck) that you got through. Checking your bag has never been so nerve-wracking as you try to quickly flip through it on the gamepad, while getting your friend to help you make sure no zombies sneak up on you on the TV.

This is truly a game that just wouldn't have felt the same without the gamepad. That gamepad is your best friend and you'll really feel helpless when the game occasionally jams it, while you'll be really grateful for when you find the CCTV boxes for the area which actually gives you a map to work with. I thought some of the simpler uses of the gamepad, like lock picking and removing barricades could have been better, but maybe it's good that it wasn't (no time for fancy stuff when you need to get your ass away).

I also found it genuinely scary and played most of it with a friend next to me the entire time. Again, this is coming from somebody who generally doesn't play horror games (unless you count Killing Floor or L4D, which I don't because you can't really have horror with co-op). I can remember one explicit jump-scare in the game, but otherwise, the scares are usually rather innocuous things like birds or mice, or because you neglected to scout far enough ahead and now have 3 zombies chasing you down. And this is a game where more than 2 zombies means you're in trouble.

Arkanius

Bumping this thread
Bought ZombiU for 9€ (+ Children of Light for 5€) at the eShop.

Holy fuck! I came in without knowing just that it was a slow paced zombie game, I wasn't prepared for this!

Roguelike DarkSouls mechanics, slow pace survival, amazing atmosphere and the best implementation of the Gamepad at the WiiU

It doesn't feel like Ubisoft, this game excels at what it does. I'm so sad this bombed due the lackluster WiiU sales at the beginning of the console life, but damn, best launch title ever.

TheMoon

Bumping this thread

Holy fuck! I came in without knowing just that it was a slow paced zombie game, I wasn't prepared for this!

Roguelike DarkSouls mechanics, slow pace survival, amazing atmosphere and the best implementation of the Gamepad at the WiiU

It doesn't feel like Ubisoft, this game excels at what it does. I'm so sad this bombed due the lackluster WiiU sales at the beginning of the console life, but damn, best launch title ever.

Glad you like it. It was one of those weird games that wasn't designed by committee and escaped the trademark Ubi-design formula of late.

tolkir

Bumping this thread

You were ZombiU'd

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
One of my few Wii U games I didn't have on my hard drive. For 10 euros I just got it, it will cost me only 5€ as it will grant me a new and last activation code :)

ZombiU got me back into gaming after a two-year hiatus. It really is an amazing game. I hope so much that the rumour of a sequel is true.

And if it is true, I hope it's on Wii U. Gotta have that GamePad!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
ZombiU is what I would call a draining experience but in the best way possible.

It's exhausting, tense and horrifying for all the right reasons.

I played through the game in two sittings because I just couldn't stop, I needed to keep going because I needed to feel safe again.

The finale was so stressful though, I came close to death far too many times during that long sequence (i was going for the good ending) and when it was all over I literally just went to sleep. The wind down and release from all that intensity was so immediate I was just like alright time for bed I'm exhausted.

I really do think it's one of the best survival horror games ever made.

A sequel that improves upon some of its mechanics would be amazing.

TheMoon

ZombiU got me back into gaming after a two-year hiatus. It really is an amazing game. I hope so much that the rumour of a sequel is true.

And if it is true, I hope it's on Wii U. Gotta have that GamePad!

It isn't. Complete bollocks. Initiate the five stages.

TheMoon

Ah, damn. Too good to be true, of course. I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed, foolishly.

I'm still secretly hoping Nintendo swoops in at some point and Bayonetta2s it into existence, too. But as far as now, that recent rumor thing is humbug.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Just got it. I've been playing it for maybe two hours now and it really is great. Haven't felt this tense playing a game in a long time!

pvpness

This was the game that got me to purchase the Wii U on day one. I really do love it and came to understand eventually that the bat is the main character. It's one of the games I'll look back on in ten years and shed a tear, cause no sequel.

jholmes

This happened to me too. I loved this game at points but as expected from an Ubisoft game it really needed polish, and of course never got it.

demolitio

This was my first Wii U game and really the only reason I got a Wii U as early as I did (didn't bother me that much since you know all the big Nintendo series would be released at some point).

I think it's still my favorite zombie game and definitely one of my the better SP games I've played in the past few years. The fact that we didn't get a sequel still pisses me off because I immediately wanted more.

It had the perfect amount of horror (scary but not too scary for someone like that has to watch his heart...lol), good mechanics with the best use of the gamepad so far, interesting setting that you don't see often, and good graphics with a style you don't see often on a Nintendo console.

If a sequel did come out on all platforms, I think I might actually prefer the Wii U version if the gamepad mechanics were still there and I rarely say that.

erawsd

I thought it was a good game but it starts to run out of steam halfway through. By then I was packing so many rifles and loaded with enough ammo that nothing was actually a threat. The last few hours are especially bad with all the backtracking that felt like nothing but padding.

Jharp

Some audio-visual quirks aside, I fucking loved the game, and really wish Ubi would do something with the franchise on other platforms. The inventory system was purely gimmick, and the same effect of looking into your pack while the world still turns around you could be achieved by simply having an inventory screen with a faded background (like Dark Souls), or having a separate window in the UI. The secondary screen is completely unnecessary for the effect, and there's so much potential with the groundwork laid by the game's design, that it's criminal we haven't seen it pop up on PC or other consoles.

I really hope we get a Zombi2 at some point, whether it's WiiU or not.

OryoN

I'll take this game out of its shrink-wrap at some point.

Dude, for the love of gaming, please do!

OP, this game definitely gets better and better, as you;

- Find more items/weapons, manage inventory
- Gain weapon experience/level up
- 'unlock' new prepper pad/Gamepad abilities
- Uncover more of the story/plot
- Encounter new enemies and tense situations
- Learn to employ new strategies & survival skills.

Doing all that at your own pace, with your own strategies and making your own survival decisions is the underlying factor that makes this game feel so great to play. So yeah you are in for an awesome experience!

As I always said, Zombi U is a quality experience in every sense of the word. As a survival horror game, it hit all the right notes, and even marched to it's own beat at times where it counts. No Wii U owner - present or future - should sleep on this gem!

Kevtones

ZombiU is Top5 thus far this gen. It's that perfect last minute project that fucking works. So many ideas click.

The Nursery is the easy example but the whole game just builds and flows well.

<3

(I bought ZombiU. Excited for it.)

Just saw this. Good energy your way :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Btw, I've only ever played a couple of hours of ZombiU even tho I've had the game for ages (grabbed it with the console for like 9€ brand new) and I meant to go back to the game so I might as well ask this here: are you supposed to play it like a roguelike?
Meaning, of course you'll try as hard as you can to not die but if you do it's not that important and you should just start again with a new survivor and not stress about it?

How important is it to track down your now-zombified roaming previous self? Did you go for it each and every time you died?
Last one, would you suggest playing hardcore mode (when you die it's game over forever) only after having beaten the game once or you can tackle it as a first time player too?

Cheers! :)

scarlet

Btw, I've only ever played a couple of hours of ZombiU even tho I've had the game for ages (grabbed it with the console for like 9€ brand new) and I meant to go back to the game so I might as well ask this here: are you supposed to play it like a roguelike?
Meaning, of course you'll try as hard as you can to not die but if you do it's not that important and you should just start again with a new survivor and not stress about it?

How important is it to track down your now-zombified roaming previous self? Did you go for it each and every time you died?
Last one, would you suggest playing hardcore mode (when you die it's game over forever) only after having beaten the game once or you can tackle it as a first time player too?

Cheers! :)

1. Do not stress about it
2. If you need your item, find your zombified characters.
3. If you died again, you "lost" your item.

I'm so sad this bombed due the lackluster WiiU sales at the beginning of the console life, but damn, best launch title ever.

Hmm, out of all the launch titles from every console I can think of - yeah, you might be right. I might be forgetting some amazing games but even so I think it's very close to the top.

Atwa

Banned
I loved ZombiU, it had some really cool ideas and is actually a survival game that lives up to the title. Got damn it got intense at times, never did manage to make it through all of it without dying. Might go back and try.

cacildo

One thing should be noted about ZombiU: the game only starts at survival mode

The first run, in which you can die and use another survivor, its a lie. Its not the real game

The real game is: you die, its over. You will be frozen in surprise, hate and tears while "God Save the Queen" plays and the credits roll (the credits roll when you die in survival mode)

And then you´ll say "IM NEVER PLAYING THIS GAME AGAIN!!!"

And then you come back a short time later

And when you finally finish the survival mode you discover that
its the same ending as the regular mode. In fact the ONLY change the survival mode has its the one life only. No new itens, no new weapons, no new story developments, nothing

But its worthy. Because the survival mode is the real ZombiU. And ZombiU is one of the best games ever made

(Its actually the best broken game ever made)

EDIT: Here´s a picture of when i leveled up every weapon type to the max

5iknu.jpg

Most people dont know but when you level all weapon types to the max you unlock
absolutely nothing. In fact i dont even believe this "level up" means any improvement when firing the guns

Belldandy

Banned
If ever a game was deserving of necro-posting, it's this one. :)

It's an incredible game. Incredible atmosphere. Easily a better game by far than Dying Light, for example. I didn't play it very much or get very far because of the difficulty. Starting fresh all the time was just too tedious. I probably would have kept going though if they had dangled achievement or trophy carrots in front of me, though.

Superballs

Neo Member
This game has been on my radar for some time, and since I didn't have a budget this week for a full priced Gane I picked it up because I stumbled across this thread at work. Any word on how well it will sound on a good surround system?

I see a lot of recommendations to play with headphones but how is it on a good surround sound setup?

This game has been on my radar for some time, and since I didn't have a budget this week for a full priced Gane I picked it up because I stumbled across this thread at work. Any word on how well it will sound on a good surround system?

I see a lot of recommendations to play with headphones but how is it on a good surround sound setup?

It's just fine, as that's what I played it on. Really enjoyed that lack of music it had a lot of the time as well.

Pandy

for anyone else interested, i've had a bit of a google. turns out the player controlling the zombies/traps uses the gamepad, and the other player can either use a wiimote (with a nunchuck, which it won't work without) or a pro controller.
The Wii-mote controls are great... until you come to steps or a slope. Then the camera gets a bit fussy sbout you looking up or down, so not recommended fir high level play. Pro controller is the way to go.

Superballs

Neo Member
I think I made it about half an hour and barely made it out of the safe house before I shut it down to do something a bit more pleasant.

This game gives me the creeps...I like it so far, but I see it happening in small doses.

Surround sound is the way to go

Pilgrimzero

I got to a scripted zombie rush event (After the grocery store) and kept dying in the small room next to my safe area. Under equipped and confined in a small area. Stopped playing it there. I'll give it another shot eventually.

TheMoon

I got to a scripted zombie rush event (After the grocery store) and kept dying in the small room next to my safe area. Under equipped and confined in a small area. Stopped playing it there. I'll give it another shot eventually.

My first time with that section I basically died my way through it lol. I started off okay but then got overwhelmed and then just took out one zombie, got killed by the others, took out another one, got killed by the others until they were all gone. It's all about controlling your space. There is this corner with some bars blocking the way that you can crawl under. You can hide go there and thus force the zombies to also crawl under it which gives you time to smash their heads (watch your 6 though!).

Top Bottom