• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gafia 2: The Bride of Gafia |Mafia OT| One Wedding, Many Funerals

Ourobolus

Banned
So funny thing.

When I originally got my role, I was told I gave drinks to the adjacent players.

My immediate reaction was "wtf this is the dumbest kill role ever"

Thankfully Retro read Palmer's role incorrectly.

Palmer_v1

Sorry, I am not just talking about losing members, but also effect on players in total. Town cant afford to have an arsonist in play, because each town he gets is basically a free double kill (which Ouro apparently also had). As I am sure scum wanted, we basically stopped scum hunting to deal with a Neutral, which took up a night we could have been killing scum. Killing a neutral is, in essence, a free night kill for scum since it is a day phase that a scum player will not die.

So sure, its a danger to scum if they get doused, but it becomes priority number 1 for town becuase they can afford to lose several people in one go.

Losing 1 town is an inconvenience normally. Losing 1 scum can be a huge issue though. It suddenly gives town a lot more context to use for hunting other scum. They have to immediately change gears to stop the arsonist.

I also think that there were maybe one too many scum.

Shit, I'm not even sure what correct combination of actions would have turned out in a town win. So many actions and decisions seemed so pivotal.

Palmer_v1

Fireblend's override was as good as being confirmed townie too, since the command was so obviously czartim, who would most likely have been town based on which version of him we were copying.

RetroMG

You would also have backed me up if you had been there at day end on day two. So there would have been good and bad from it.

I found the start/end time to be awful. Too early for me in my time zone. I have now learned to check that before joining a particular game.

Sorry about that. My schedule became unpredictable shortly before the game started. Since I'm in the earliest time zone in Gafia, (PST) I thought it would only affect me.

Ty4on

Sorry, burb. :(

Also, shout out to Ty4on who literally had us all pegged the night before he died.
You forgot about Ouro . I "neutral" read him really hard. The only doubt I had about Ouro was that he overreacted and thought people accused him, but I never thought it was because he was scum. I actually thought of opening a post with "Relax, I'm not accusing you :p".

Anyways GG. It felt weird to make some decent reads for one. I thought of posting "I think CzarTim, Time and Seath are scum" somewhere, but figured it'd look too stupid if I was wrong. Biggest issue by far was not forcing town to lynch me or Time. I seriously felt sick that night at work thinking "Fuck, what if they lynched Burb?" Because I didn't have time to check my phone.

I'll make something more detailed after work.

Fireblend's override was as good as being confirmed townie too, since the command was so obviously czartim, who would most likely have been town based on which version of him we were copying.
Funny. The one time Czartim had an override ws DR, where he was scum. I would have immediately pushed to kill Fire. :p

*Splinter

I don't follow... partly because you do counter-meta stuff all the time, but also because Tim had an override when he was scum?

Burbeting

Banned
While we wait for the awards (that I assume will come one year), here are my personal awards:

Town MVP - Ty4on. Sorry I doubted you budy.
Scum MVP - Ouro. Was completely fooled even though I had my gut read early.
I'm Sorry - Camjo-Z. You gave us one scum on the silver platter and... I ignored it. What was I thinking.

RetroMG

Awards are coming, but I'm trying to make sure all the S6 games are ready to go and trying to get S6 recruiting going, so unless Sorian or Palmer feel super motivated, it might be a little while.

Sawneeks

Banned
McCree with the override It's High Noon

Perfectly balanced.

Ak7gfyX.png

Can we use tracer as a counter?

Her ult forces to kill anyone named bastion as their flavor ./go

"You are Hanzo/Widowmaker/Tracer, the Lyncher.

Your only job is to find and kill Bastion before he gets POTG.

Good luck"

Kawl_USC

McCree with the override It's High Noon

"You are Hanzo/Widowmaker/Tracer, the Lyncher.

Your only job is to find and kill Bastion before he gets POTG.

Good luck"

Nah, High Noon is an auto kill on any one that posts within 30 minutes of the command if they are on the opposing faction. If it kills no one Mcree leaves the game out of shame.

Sawneeks

Banned
Nah, High Noon is an auto kill on any one that posts within 30 minutes of the command if they are on the opposing faction. If it kills no one Mcree leaves the game out of shame.

RIP Sorian and Xam. Use that command minute 1 of Day 1 and it's just game over.

Now if we want some true bastard roles get Mercy in there with a one-shot team revive.

Palmer_v1

Mercy is obviously the doc.
Reinhardt is 1 shot bp.
Bastion is strongman
Genji is veteran
Tracer is commuter
Mei is jailer
Widow is watcher
Junkrat is tracker
Soldier is Vig
Reaper is GF
Winston is fruit vendor
Roadhog is switcher
Dva is lynch bomb
Zarya is Vengeful Bodyguard
Lucio is ninja
Symmetra is Redirect
Torrbjorn is dead in opening flavor
Torrbjorn's turret is Neutral SK.

Kawl_USC

Mercy is obviously the doc.
Reinhardt is 1 shot bp.
Bastion is strongman
Genji is veteran
Tracer is commuter
Mei is jailer
Widow is watcher
Junkrat is tracker
Soldier is Vig
Reaper is GF
Winston is fruit vendor
Roadhog is switcher
Dva is lynch bomb
Zarya is Vengeful Bodyguard
Lucio is ninja
Symmetra is Redirect
Torrbjorn is dead in opening flavor
Torrbjorn's turret is Neutral SK.

/TRIGGERED

roytheone

I did wonder about 6 scum, even if i counted the hidden partner as a null value, but at the time, we were coming off a string of town wins, so I was TRYING to give scum a small advantage.

I really hope this string of scum wins doesn't lead to the season 6 mods trying to give town a small advantage and we just keep ping ponging between town and scum win streaks :)

TL;DR Scum were favored from the start, but town did itself no favors. No more maps.

I liked the map, the RNG part of it wasn't great though :(

And at least I didn't include a King role, or a Tanner. ;)

If at any point in the game you send me a pm saying I was secretly a king all along, I would have booked a flight to wherever in hamburgerland you live so that I could throw a shoe at your face :)

Sucks to know I could've turned it around if I'd been checking the thread more frequently, specially because I wouldn't have hesitated to override Time, but yeah, obviously hindsight is 20/20, I would've never guessed a turbo was coming yesterday, or that we were so close to losing. I figured there was almost an entire day left and with only 1 vote on me I could leave the thread unattended for a while.

Sorry team :(

Not your fault, you can't be watching the thread 24/7, nor should you even want to do that. Not lynching yourself if you town read me was a mistake though, that was 100 % on you :mad:

Ourobolus

Banned
Town MVP: Burbeting/Ty4on - you guys were the main threats, and if we had gone on just a day longer, you would have wrecked us.

Scum MVP: CzarTim - I may have had a good roleclaim, but Czar was (oddly) the voice of reason when I was posting my thoughts in the scum thread. I usually got confirmation from him before we decided to try anything.

Honorable Scum MVP: nin1000 - you know why. :p

gg wedding party goers and gatecrashers and GMs

:D

this was my second favourite scum team \o/

...... uh i love the roles but yeah the set up was too heavily hinging on RNG at implementation. i think i asked palmer and retro about the RNG thing at design stage but i can't remember now cuz it feels like a lifetime ago.

OURO MVP

i hope bear will forgive nin one day

and #launchouro is my new OTP after #splibot's break up

great game everyone \o/

*Splinter

this was my second favourite scum team o/

...... uh i love the roles but yeah the set up was too heavily hinging on RNG at implementation. i think i asked palmer and retro about the RNG thing at design stage but i can't remember now cuz it feels like a lifetime ago.

OURO MVP

great game everyone o/
Psh, don't believe everything you hear

roytheone

this was my second favourite scum team \o/

OURO MVP

great game everyone \o/

HEY! Me and El topo are still elected as the official Gafia #OTP. :mad:

Hey guys

I never committed suicide, arsonist role was a blessing

My one (hidden) contribution to the game (also, to clarify, arsonist role originally had said you "may" choose to douse each night, clarified to you "must" when Camjo subbed in)

Hyperactivity said:
RetroMG said:
Hyperactivity said:
RetroMG said:
Just checking in, you were pretty low activity during Day 1. Everything okay?

err, yeah still want to play. if I'm like that day 2 again I'll drop out, don't want to be low activity with the cool role you have and everything

will hopefully decide on a target later today

I still need your target. If you don't respond before tomorrow morning, I'll just RNG it.

Alright, just gonna get some thoughts down to help me decide this, feel free to post this to dead or after game or whatever

I'm considering 4 main aspects here important to who my targets should be

1) Survivability - how comfortably can I expect my target to survive to end game. I'm not interested in this regard in higher activity players, who are often early scum targets, scum themselves, or mid game targets. Just as an offhand estimate, only about 3-4 mid to high activity players typically make it to the end game max

2) Target reaction next day - This is most important for tonight's target. My guess is that my target will most likely reveal they were doused. thankfully, I don't expect a fireman, due to the difficulty of the win condition, so this won't hurt too much in that way. However, I suspect getting doused will become similar to insanity, poisons, or vote blocking; town will take it to mean the target is more likely to be town. However, the specific flavor of being doused, as an arsonist, a serial killer type role, won't entirely help me in this endeavour.

N1 is important because I'm choosing the messenger who will tell everyone about me. Unfortunately, I can't give it to any one person who is overly suspicious, but, I can try and use any possible additional responses. For example, an investigative pr that doesn't play too smartly, imo, could very well out himself. Players with lower enthusiasm are also more likely to claim if they are an ordinary villager and are either poisoned or slightly in danger of a lynch, providing me a piece that's likely to survive till endgame.

Players reactions to me will most likely shift day 4 or 5, when they ask why I'm not burning everything down. Day 3 if I'm unlucky. At this point, the leverage I get over the days' proceedings drastically decreases, and my moves past that discovery are likely to be dismissed.

3) Scum reaction - to put it simply, scum will be my friends in the early game. The day 4/5 limit is especially important here, as it marks the players scum believe are most likely goners. This is a pro should I choose to go after low activity, towns leaning players, because I tell that it's open town on the others. I doubt scum will lean towards the chances I can win with them though, arsonist flavor too specific.

The game here changes entirely if I hit a scum member. An early game scum hit puts me from side concern to prime target. Late game scum hits, when the players start to guess at my harmlessness, are worse. In fact, one of the worst, if not the worst scenario for me is a scum player I've targeted killing each of my remaining targets, because it would take at least 2-3 days of my targets' deaths for me topping out their relative immunity to said deaths.

Early early game, scum won't be as useful, as they are more likely to hit my targets or me. As such, I need to make myself a non-target for them. While I'm REALLY annoyed at my activity day 1, I will have to keep a lower activity, similar to what Christina Mackenzie did in Harry Potter. Unfortunately and fortunately, I've been lower activity in many of my recent games, so should anyone try to bother me about why "Hyperactivity is not hyperactive", basically meta gaming, their argument still falls flat. Essentially, I can play the early game similar to what kitty and I decided to do in love boat - basically stay in that neutral to slightly suspicious zone where scum can't kill you but you can attempt to defend yourself from any lynch. Leaning township in people's eyes would make me a target for when scum need a quiet night to safely kill a to any player. This does have the downside of leaving you more prone to vigilantes, which terrifies me, because I believe in myself to predict scum moves more than town moves

However, I'm absolutely certain that playing to utilize scum without some sort of shake up at some point will only get me to end game. It can't win me the game, as people may notice shifts from low to high post counts, me playing in that way when it most likely not safe for me to claim any sort of pr, etc.

4) Table positioning - I'll hand this one to launch, his play is better than expected (or a case of me overthinking things). Launch is hiding things, fun. His role acts as a minor protective role, both confusing scums moves, and protecting players. Should he being lying and he is able to choose which table he shifts it must be table 1 or 2 (hold the captain obvious accusations). Table 2, his own table, mainly serves to protect him while mess up scum. But if he was aiming to do that, he could've easily bluffed his role, or hidden it, so as to attract PRs. Table 1 could be a WIFOM choice QUACK while predicting this line of thought.

But should QUACK not have been able to choose the table, the result is the same, right? But if Launch had more utility to his role, he would be more likely to go for table 2. it would also explain his usage of m this ability of it is indeed random

but what if launch is just gambit ting to mess with scum, blah blah blah, etc....

Tbh, this debate is too much of a WIFOM. I can see launch making any one of these plays.

The other aspect of this is people possibly seeing me. This could easily screw me over if I play this wrong and gave people see or not see me at inappropriate times. Given the fact that my targets are told they were doused, I doubt this is dangan style, but I very may be caught by a watcher that is a dangan style roamed, or people that sense activity, etc.

Given all of these, I've narrowed my list to 4 targets: myself, Xamtheking, Kalor, and Terrabyte20XX.

Terra is on my table, and an example of a player I believe could make it to endgame.

Kalor is the same on the other side.

Xamtheking combines many of my ideal characteristics - he would reveal early tomorrow, and has survived incredibly long in games due to people underestimating him. However, I first wish to see how he does in this game before acting on him, especially after Ace Attorney.

Hyperactivity - 2015 GAFIA MVP, mainly because he scares me in how quickly he'll put me. No, seriously, I'm considering me for a couple different reasons.

1. I can safely assume that the target I intended to hit was hit, because I never hit anything

2. I believe this guarantees me early game protection from scum as a target taken care of

3. As such a low activity player based off of day 1, targeting me makes sense for an arsonist who needs to kill an x number of people. Late game it becomes more of an issue

4. Town brownie points. Useful early on, but less relevant later game. This gift gets delivered twice, because when I think of my past game performances, I can only think of Cthulhu and parts of MGS as games where I gave it my all as town, where as certain parts of my scum strategy have become autopilot for me. My lower activity (not day 1 level, I promise) may make certain people lump me into an ordinary town. I even have the option to do what I did in MGS, stupidly claim ordinary, although I doubt it would work well with me having made the same mistake and called people out for it too.

The major risks of this:

1. Movement day 2 could still screw me over, if I suddenly get up from my chair night 2 after night 1.

2. I don't know the flavor of getting doused, RETRO THIS IS MY ONE MAIN QUESTION

Is my flavor basic, with it only telling my target they have been "doused"?

If no comment, then no comment.

3. I lose my arguably easiest target - N1 targets are pretty crucial. I don't believe this is as crucial as with scum, where they should always go for it imo, but it could cost me

Also, as I'm typing, I'm thinking of two other possibilities

I suspect Fireblend will be under fire tomorrow, and my dousing him could completely change how both he and I are reacted too. However, I'd rather not have said degree of unpredictability in the early gand

I could also make a prediction as to which mid high player is most likely to survive till end game, however, I'm not sure I can do much than narrow down a decently large group. In addition, I want the mid game to influence which medium high player Id like to survive

Yeah, sorry for wall of text, just want to get some thoughts down. My role essentially excels in mid game imo. I can play conventional safe, or try to string certain types of players in a row to give a certain impression, however I believe the "doused" aspect of my role limits this. Trying to change my behavior post players figuring out the lack of a death threat would be both dangerous and probably futile

DOUSE: Hyperactivity/No action

If I die, I totally want my flavor to be I burnt myself.

Top Bottom