• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gafia 2: The Bride of Gafia |Mafia OT| One Wedding, Many Funerals

Fireblend

Banned
Also, I really liked the map mechanics portion of the game. It was clever, well utilized and it felt like a fresh thing, specially since I hadn't played a game with a map before. I definitely would again, I think it adds to the general strategy aspect, allows for more inventive roles and mid-game surprises, and gives people something to discuss in the early days. Good job both on the flavor and the mechanics implementation, I loved it.

Also Roy, I'd like to apologize if something I said during D1's last posts bothered you; I was trying to say what Retro would later say better than I did, that discussing availability wasn't cool, but that's not how it sounded. Sorry, and I'm also sorry you didn't lynch me and won.

CzarTim

I do think town would have won this had you lynched scum on day 7. All of our strategy depended on that.

Reasons: I'm not sure ouro would have been able to kill ty without giving himself away, and so we'd have to delay. I think that would have given town enough time.

CzarTim

Also guys, come on, always lynch 3p. What are you doing :p

Town also should have probably asked why xam would have had that role as town. Knowing we could control maps might have changed things.

RetroMG

Also guys, come on, always lynch 3p. What are you doing :p

Town also should have probably asked why xam would have had that role as town. Knowing we could control maps might have changed things.

If it makes you feel any better, it took Xam a while to figure out what the point of his role was, too.

CzarTim

Then about the end of day 1, I didn't brought it up during the game since I didn't want to derail it, but that was probably the most frustrated and mad I have ever been in a gafia game. Some people made jokingly remarks about me saying I wouldn't post anymore and then still post, which is fine, but I really got the feeling some of you seriously accused me of lying about real life stuff, which is basically accusing me of cheating. That was not fun at all, being forced to explain how I prepare to go to work was incredibly dumb. Please never do that again, it really took all the fun out of the game for me for a while.

There is nothing more frustrating than this in a mafia game and it needs to fucking stop.

RetroMG

Having read the roles...

HOW WAS TOWN SUPPOSED TO HAVE CHANCE?!?!

Scum was powerful, but easily frustrated. They didn't even have control of half their powers for the first couple of days.

In retrospect, I wish we'd gone with one less Scum. Palmer and I figured that the unrecruitable Hidden Partner who could just as easily screw scum as town would be the balancer, but it didn't really work that way.

*Splinter

Scum was powerful, but easily frustrated. They didn't even have control of half their powers for the first couple of days.

In retrospect, I wish we'd gone with one less Scum. Palmer and I figured that the unrecruitable Hidden Partner who could just as easily screw scum as town would be the balancer, but it didn't really work that way.
I know hidden partners can do a lot of damage, but I still would count them as a 0.5 scum, rather than -1 (as seems to be the case here)

CzarTim

Having read the roles...

HOW WAS TOWN SUPPOSED TO HAVE CHANCE?!?!

lynch rnh and we have little agency
lynch the claimed 3p and we probably lose

I really don't think this was as unbalanced as people are saying. It was swingy due to rng bullshit, but it could have just as easily gone the other way. I really do think we would have lost had time got lynched day six or seven.

Burbeting

Banned
I don't think scum PR force was overpowered. They just had one too many, which screwed us over. Not distrusting Ouro was Town's mistake, and we were on track with Time, Tim and Seath.

RetroMG

I really don't think this was as unbalanced as people are saying. It was swingy due to rng bullshit, but it could have just as easily gone the other way. I really do think we would have lost had time got lynched day six or seven.

Thanks, Tim.

Also, if Fireblend had been at his computer during your turbo, you would have been screwed. I was seriously waiting for another Werewolf moment.

Sometimes when we do setups, we make the best choices for what we think will be the most fun for players, and sometimes we're right, and sometimes we're wrong. I recognize that there were some errors in Gafia 2, but on the whole, I'm pretty damn proud of it.

And at least I didn't include a King role, or a Tanner. ;)

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion

You're probably right, I'm just REALLY salty right now.

Timeaisis

I really do think we would have lost had time got lynched day six or seven.

Thank you nin.

And as for everything else, we really did get lucky. We really did think AB was the arso and just picked camjo kind of at random for me to block as well. So that worked. Also, burb vs nin really really helped us a lot. I think the motion detectors did town more harm than good, to be honest.

RetroMG

Anyway, this is gonna be my last game as primary host for a while. I'm going to be assistant mod to Scrafty on Bloodborne, but with school getting rougher and a baby on the way, I'm going to be in the background more, managing OG and Discord and keeping the community as a whole running. But running a Gafia game has been on my Mafia bucket list since Gafia 1, so thanks for taking the good and the bad and letting me fulfill that. :)

Burbeting

Banned
Thank you nin.

And as for everything else, we really did get lucky. We really did think AB was the arso and just picked camjo kind of at random for me to block as well. So that worked. Also, burb vs nin really really helped us a lot. I think the motion detectors did town more harm than good, to be honest.

No shit.

*Splinter

You're probably right, I'm just REALLY salty right now.
7bc4c4ed9898b541db6cdf6d5f1f03233d5bca05e15ef83497eab8973a30282f.jpg

RetroMG

Worth noting, both motion detectors caught Timeaisis doing the first night kill.

...Just, everyone thought it was Burb, instead.

*Splinter

Worth noting, both motion detectors caught Timeaisis doing the first night kill.

...Just, everyone thought it was Burb, instead.
Yeah... no way town could have known that. MD is weakest standard investigative role, and it was made even weaker here by pointing it at two people.

...who were selected by RNG or scum

...and were known in advance by scum

...yeah

Ty4on

Ouro had a perfectly fine reason to give Ty the drink, since nin was the only one who hadn't recived one yet.

Ty should have told us that the PM he received was different that the first time, though. That could have tipped us off.
I did. Go back. Didn't think it meant anything though.

Sawneeks

Banned
Hahahaha

haha

ha

i fucking knew Ouro was scum. when my gut starts to remind me of Heist it's never good news.

though I never would have guessed it was Tim if it weren't for the Spec thread. Quiet sure, but I wasn't thinking Scum. >.>;

congrats to Scum for a good victory and props to Town for giving it a good run.

Fireblend

Banned
Sucks to know I could've turned it around if I'd been checking the thread more frequently, specially because I wouldn't have hesitated to override Time, but yeah, obviously hindsight is 20/20, I would've never guessed a turbo was coming yesterday, or that we were so close to losing. I figured there was almost an entire day left and with only 1 vote on me I could leave the thread unattended for a while.

Sorry team :(

Also, if Fireblend had been at his computer during your turbo, you would have been screwed. I was seriously waiting for another Werewolf moment.
This is sort of my problem with this set up though. Not everyone can be at their PC 100% of the time, which meant that many powers werent as powerful as they should have been. Bronx's chat is a good example. I had no idea if he ever chatted or said anything. I have no idea if Time said anything else because after my fifth post or so I looked away to do some work and by the time I got back it was gone.

Palmer_v1

I'm responsible for 90% of the game's balance, FYI. Railing at Retro will not help you.

I did wonder about 6 scum, even if i counted the hidden partner as a null value, but at the time, we were coming off a string of town wins, so I was TRYING to give scum a small advantage. I also assumed the Arsonist would throw off scum more than town, but that went totally sideways.

I almost immediately regretted the RNG nature of the table seating, cause RNG is so swingy. I also wish we had just explained the mechanics so it wasted less time.

Scum's powers were swingy, and had lynch pins that were either ignored(seath), or got away with bullshit claims(ouro).

Town's cop was really strong but was forced to claim early. Kinda messed up with the jailer here, cause he should have been able to protect either table.

MD's I messed up on. I never considered that Czartim's role would effectively be a ninja while he was next to one. Of course, this is dependent on town telling scum who the MDs are.

The hidden partner was as harmful to scum as town since they didn't know what his role was, and being unrecruitable, I thought town would be able to follow up on his voting and whatnot to catch more scum.

TL;DR Scum were favored from the start, but town did itself no favors. No more maps.

Palmer_v1

Sucks to know I could've turned it around if I'd been checking the thread more frequently, specially because I wouldn't have hesitated to override Time, but yeah, obviously hindsight is 20/20, I would've never guessed a turbo was coming yesterday, or that we were so close to losing. I figured there was almost an entire day left and with only 1 vote on me I could leave the thread unattended for a while.

I felt like you were incredibly close to overriding Ouro on Day2 or 3 as well.

Sucks to know I could've turned it around if I'd been checking the thread more frequently, specially because I wouldn't have hesitated to override Time, but yeah, obviously hindsight is 20/20, I would've never guessed a turbo was coming yesterday. I figured there was almost an entire day left and with only 1 vote on me I could leave the thread unattended for a while.

You would also have backed me up if you had been there at day end on day two. So there would have been good and bad from it.

I found the start/end time to be awful. Too early for me in my time zone. I have now learned to check that before joining a particular game.

CzarTim

I'm really bummed you didn't get to use that ability on me. Would have been hilarious.

Ourobolus

Banned
I am failing to understand how you could possibly come to this conclusion though. By its very nature, any secondary killing power is more likely to hit town than scum.

It's more likely, but hitting one scum has exponentially more devastation than hitting one townie.

Fireblend

Banned
I felt like you were incredibly close to overriding Ouro on Day2 or 3 as well.

I was super close to using it on Time and Czar. I don't think I would have overridden Ouro or Seath, but I swear, I had at some point another tab open with the post ready to go on Czar. Don't remember the day, might have been 2 or 3.

*Splinter

I am failing to understand how you could possibly come to this conclusion though. By its very nature, any secondary killing power is more likely to hit town than scum.
Well with so many scum in the game there is more chance that at least one would be doused, and scum can't afford to be NK'd even moreso than town.

Timeaisis

Ouro was doused really early and we were sweating bullets over in scum chat lol.

If Camjo pulled the trigger we probably would've lost.

It's more likely, but hitting one scum has exponentially more devastation than hitting one townie.

Well with so many scum in the game there is more chance that at least one would be doused, and scum can't afford to be NK'd even moreso than town.

Ouro was doused really early and we were sweating bullets over in scum chat lol.

If Camjo pulled the trigger we probably would've lost.

Sorry, I am not just talking about losing members, but also effect on players in total. Town cant afford to have an arsonist in play, because each town he gets is basically a free double kill (which Ouro apparently also had). As I am sure scum wanted, we basically stopped scum hunting to deal with a Neutral, which took up a night we could have been killing scum. Killing a neutral is, in essence, a free night kill for scum since it is a day phase that a scum player will not die.

So sure, its a danger to scum if they get doused, but it becomes priority number 1 for town becuase they can afford to lose several people in one go.

Top Bottom