• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Isaac

I thought it was funny how Renly had probably given up on his manscaping. I'd like to think it made him break out or something. :p

Bigfoot

Calling Margery a whore is a little odd. It's not like shes all about having sex willy nilly.

Exactly! And (series)
She always has people around her in AFFC so it's not like she has a chance to be a whore. She is definitely a schemer.

Solo

Loved it. Season is thoroughly trouncing S1. Especially loved Tyrion plotting, Margaery's playfulness and then frankness (another casting victory) and the final scenes with Arya, Gendry and Co. Next week's episode looks like another great one.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
tumblr_m2k15xvCi71qavnbio1_500.jpg

R.I.P the last of the great men.
Yoren was arguably one of favourite characters while reading. His demeanour is that of a true born.

I'm interested to know how they write scenes that weren't in the book, like the scene with Margaery and Renly, who's not right.

Do they consult with GRRM before writing? Do they write it and then get his approval? Or do they just do it completely on their own?

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Brienne was perfect beyond perfect. I gasped at her next to Catelyn.

Yep.
Anyone else notice the look on Catelyn's face when Brienne tells her to just call her 'Brienne'?
She likes her. Makes me think that she's seeing a bit of Arya in her.

jett

D-Member
I'm interested to know how they write scenes that weren't in the book, like the scene with Margaery and Renly, who's not right.

Do they consult with GRRM before writing? Do they write it and then get his approval? Or do they just do it completely on their own?

I guess they could consult, but I doubt they'd need his approval.

- Westeros.org: Season 2 Interview with Bryan Cogman
Almost a year ago, we first had a long chat with writer and keeper of the mythos, Bryan Cogman, about his role in the first season, which included writing the episode, “Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things”.

Bryan was there almost from the ground floor, helping during the time of the pilot, and becoming the right hand man to David and Dan as they developed, wrote, and produced the show. Going into the second season, he received the title of story editor… and he wrote the extremely well-received third episode of the series, “What is Dead May Never Die”.

In the interview below, Bryan discusses various aspects of the episode, his overall role on the show, and more. Insightful as always!

I don't think GRRM has all that much input into something like that. Some of the things the showrunners have said give me the impression that George's role is mostly limited to writing one episode and watching some casting videos.

Amir0x

Banned
i know they said they consult him on matters of finality, to ensure that important characters are not prematurely killed off when they have some role to play later.

JGS

Banned
Renly is boss but also a pussy. Just put it in!

Also Cat and Brienne are my new favorite thing.
This confuses me due to the book. Renly is no turning back gay- to the point of not even being able to pretend to be straight. How can this be so vague in the book? Is he just impotent/sterile? It would seem that this is a major plot point for the book and show.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
This confuses me due to the book. Renly is no turning back gay- to the point of not even being able to pretend to be straight. How can this be so vague in the book? Is he just impotent/sterile? It would seem that this is a major plot point for the book and show.

There's really no question in the book that Renly is gay. It's never shown explicitly him having sex with a guy as he is not a POV character, but people speculate constantly about his relationship with Loras and about Margaery being a virgin. I personally really don't understand how people miss it.

Amir0x

Banned
There's really no question in the book that Renly is gay. It's never shown explicitly him having sex with a guy as he is not a POV character, but people speculate constantly about his relationship with Loras and about Margaery being a virgin. I personally really don't understand how people miss it.

and of course BRIGHT BLINDING HINT 'rainbow guard' BRIGHT BLINDING HINT

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yep.
Anyone else notice the look on Catelyn's face when Brienne tells her to just call her 'Brienne'?
She likes her. Makes me think that she's seeing a bit of Arya in her.
Yeah, I liked how that was stablished with a single look at the end of the scene. They were both great in this episode. Cat's liking of Brienne is mostly internal in the book and it looks like Fairley will translate that well to TV.

jett

D-Member

It flew over my head. *shrug* I didn't think much of the gay jokes or Margaery claming to still be a virgin. I'd consider it subtle. It's not like people like me are few. :p

Lothar

Banned
Bryan Cogman said:
Oh, and one more thing about that scene—and this is a detail about a uberfan of the books who had to write for the TV show. Without a doubt, one of my favorite moments from the books is when Hot Pie shouts “Hot Pie!” when going into battle… When we cast Ben as Hot Pie in season one, I thought—“Yay! Can’t wait for him to yet HOT PIE!” But…

You sometimes have to kill your foster babies. We hadn’t established the convention of shouting your homeland while going into battle on the TV series, our Arya is a bit older and probably wouldn’t yell “Winterfell!”, and the nature of how I had to adapt the scene to meet the criteria (child hours, time, location, story beats, etc) meant that Hot Pie isn’t really fighting in the scene, so one of my favorite moments had to go. I made the call! I stand by it! But it did hurt.

I hate this guy. I don't buy this at all. If it hurts to leave it out, then put it in. If Martin was writing the episode, he would have put it in.

Magnus

My take on the episode:

http://www.omega-level.net/2012/04/...hrones-what-is-dead-may-never-die/#more-32765

Still trying to be much more than a recap (I get bored reading those and wonder if they think I haven't seen the episode?), and instead a light analysis, and my exhaust port for all my ruminations on the show. Also, trying to make sure it gets out in a timely fashion, but it's tough to compete with quote-unquote professional blogs that nab screeners early when we're seeing the ep the same night as the general audience.

Hope someone out there enjoys it! Previous weeks and an actual recap of Season 1 are on that site too.

Some of the GIFs created for the article -- maybe they can also find extended life amongst you fine folks, haha:

203Baptism.gif

P5CoM.gif

203Brienne.gif

203Kiss.gif

203BRAN.gif

203Sansa.gif

203Yoren.gif

The biggest tip off that renly is gay is when (Later books spoiler)
Jaime tells Loras that he's going to stick his sword someplace Renly never found. Shit, even Stannis makes a joke about Renly having sex with Margaery

Magnus

I hate this guy. I don't buy this at all. If it hurts to leave it out, then put it in. If Martin was writing the episode, he would have put it in.

I understand where the dude's coming from, but I doubt it would have actually confused the new audience or hurt matters to include the occasional battle-cry.

What's even funnier is that Margaery cheers "Highgarden!" during the battle between Loras and Brienne. It's like, that decision directly opposes Cogman's thoughts on not establishing battle cries, and it's the very same episode. lol

apana

My take on the episode:

http://www.omega-level.net/2012/04/...hrones-what-is-dead-may-never-die/#more-32765

Still trying to be much more than a recap (I get bored reading those and wonder if they think I haven't seen the episode?), and instead a light analysis, and my exhaust port for all my ruminations on the show. Also, trying to make sure it gets out in a timely fashion, but it's tough to compete with quote-unquote professional blogs that nab screeners early when we're seeing the ep the same night as the general audience.

Hope someone out there enjoys it! Previous weeks and an actual recap of Season 1 are on that site too.

I defnitely enjoy reading these.

and of course BRIGHT BLINDING HINT 'rainbow guard' BRIGHT BLINDING HINT

I don't have the link handy but GRRM says the rainbow colors were supposed to represent the colors of the Seven and he swears he didn't mean the rainbow guard like *that*. Strange, but no reason to not believe him.

Jarmel

Banned
Series:
I'm not seeing that. Yes Cersei thinks she is a whore, but that's only because she is paranoid and wants it to be true. The Blue Bard's confession is forced, her maidenhead is implied to have broken due to horse riding rather than any sex, and Osney's attempts to seduce her or catch her with men are completely unsuccessful. I got the impression that she truly was innocent and that she is indeed a virgin. Pycelle was lying about the Moon Tea because he is trying to stay loyal and useful to Cersei. It definitely is not confirmed that she is a virgin and I think it could go either way, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as Renly being gay.

Pretty much this. AFFC
Remember that the POV character is insane. Cersei's views of events are almost certainly distorted. Not to mention Cersei never found any evidence that backed up her views, I chalk this up to the writers of the TV series taking liberties with Margaery's character.

Like not writing Winds of Winter.

Sigh. This should without any doubt be his top priority yet somehow I very much doubt that is the case.

Amir0x

Banned
Sigh. This should without any doubt be his top priority yet somehow I very much doubt that is the case.

somehow? GRRM confirmed he's currently working on five separate projects, none of which are Winds of Winter.

fans need to accept the impending reality

Nice work again this week. FWIW, the stuff I find most interesting (and a potential way to differentiate yourself from the deluge of recaps that are mere plot summaries) is the discussion of camerawork as well as the broader thematic issues that you pull out of it.
Some of the GIFs created for the article -- maybe they can also find extended life amongst you fine folks, haha:
Thanks, Magnus. I was going to ask plywood for a couple of those. (Brienne's helmet removal and the Theon's baptism.)

Magnus

I defnitely enjoy reading these.

I've read them all too, I really like them.

Nice work again this week. FWIW, the stuff I find most interesting (and a potential way to differentiate yourself from the deluge of recaps that are mere plot summaries) is the discussion of camerawork as well as the broader thematic issues that you pull out of it.
Thanks, Magnus. I was going to ask plywood for a couple of those. (Brienne's helmet removal and the Theon's baptism.)

Thanks so much dudes. And you're welcome Cornballer! I'm not technically proficient/able enough to generate the silky smooth GIFs Plywood does with PS. I'm learning. These are via an App Store app, and the controls are truly idiot-proof, haha.

Happy to make any GIFs, but don't want to steal Plywood's thunder, lol.

somehow? GRRM confirmed he's currently working on five separate projects, none of which are Winds of Winter.

Ten million questions:

In the case of Dune, did Frank Herbert willingly hand the reins to his (son?) and the other writers that pushed the series forward? Or did they write books he never planned?

And does Martin have a protegé or friend I wonder who could, would, or should take over should the worst happen? Should the last book or two even be written if the worst should happen?

Is he in poor health, for that matter?

What would most writers want for their grand works, I wonder?

I know if I were him, I'd want the series finished. But shit, I can't begin to imagine what it's like in the man's head, or the manner in which he's attached to his writing. I've never written anything remotely that large.

And god damn, five projects?

Today I worked on exactly three projects, and I'm supposedly a young, virile man of 27, compared to Martin.

And one of my projects was a fucking sandwich.

Good for him.

does anyone really care about his other projects?

have no desire to read any of his books outside of song of fire & ice

Dany

Banned

In the book we Don't see things from his perspective but it's quite clear TO ME, that renly was not straight.

COK
when renly does die, Loras freaks out and starts swinging at people, that kinda gave it away that those two were more than friends.

Also, with the way the preview ran, I think he is dead next week :( too soon!

Magnus

Maybe it's just what the man needs to do to let his brain breathe. I assume he dabbled in and completed tons of other projects between previous books (save Clash and Storm; those were somehow just one year apart in publication, right? Astounding)

He has a bunch of Winds chapters written already, right?

His world and his story are exploding like never before too with the advent of the show; it has to be having a massive effect on his process.

KingK

One of GRRM's current projects is another one of the Dunk and Egg short stories that takes place in Winterfel right? And I heard that they'll finally be releasing a compilation book of all those novellas.

Also, regarding his health; as far as I know he's in perfectly good health for his age. He's 63 and overweight, so it's definitely not ideal, but I believe he's lost some weight recently so that's a good sign. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that he's good friends with Daniel Abraham too, so I wonder if he would finish the series should the worst happen to George.

Dmax3901

I was frustrated with the gay stuff in this episode, and before I get railed for being homophobic, it was more to do with the distraction rather than anything else.

If there was some woman between Margaery and Renly it'd be the same issue. I went into this episode expecting certain things to happen and they didn't because we dilly dallied with Loras/Renly and Margaery.

I understand they have to flesh it all out for the screen (Yoren suddenly being a character was a blindingly obvious example of this), but yeah.

On the other hand I'm enjoying Renly's acting far more this series, and his beard is perfect. So is Brienne.

Amir0x

Banned

I know I don't. I tried to read some of the other stuff he has dabbled in, and except for that one short story I forgot the name of about weird bugs that this creep uses, I never had much care for them. Wild Cards is...yikes

Ten million questions:

In the case of Dune, did Frank Herbert willingly hand the reins to his (son?) and the other writers that pushed the series forward? Or did they write books he never planned?

And does Martin have a protegé or friend I wonder who could, would, or should take over should the worst happen? Should the last book or two even be written if the worst should happen?

Is he in poor health, for that matter?

What would most writers want for their grand works, I wonder?

I know if I were him, I'd want the series finished. But shit, I can't begin to imagine what it's like in the man's head, or the manner in which he's attached to his writing. I've never written anything remotely that large.

Today I worked on exactly three projects, and I'm supposedly a young, virile man of 27, compared to Martin.

And one of my projects was a fucking sandwich.

Good for him.

Yeah, he said five projects. I know one is more editing of Wild Cards crap. Yeah, that's your legacy GRRM... Wild Cards editing. *sigh*

As for the rest, I know he said he doesn't have an outline of the series. He knows how it'll end but not necessarily the stops in the journey, so-to-speak, so that'd make any ability to pick up the pieces really difficult for a new writer.

As for his health, well he's old and fat. I can't imagine that's a healthy combination. And now he's being flown all over the world, doing promotion like crazy, the giants won, and has these five projects PLUS Winds of Winter when he gets to it. He's running himself ragged and he is old and fat.

Time to death: Inside of five years, imo.

apana

Don't know what Amirox is talking about it in regards to the show finishing the story. If they catch up and there are no more books in sight the show will simply end. As for the books I am expecting Winds of Winter 3-4 years from now and the final book 3-4 years after that probably. I think everything will be okay.

jett

D-Member
As for the rest, I know he said he doesn't have an outline of the series. He knows how it'll end but not necessarily the stops in the journey, so-to-speak, so that'd make any ability to pick up the pieces really difficult for a new writer.

Translation: "I don't know what the fuck is going on!"

CrunchyB

One of the projects is the new SoIaF Map book.
Another is the fourth Dunk & Egg story, set about 60 years before GoT. It should appear bundled with the other three. These stories rock btw, I can't recommend them enough.

He's also working on some more world background and needs to write a script for next season. I'm not sure if he's counting those.

The rest is probably editing for Wild Cards (meh) and other short stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom