• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

I'm still pretty sure Lollys was the heavy set handmaiden getting her clothes ripped off.

And I wasn't complaining about the High Septon being contrived. I said it was enough to show the crowd's ferocity. I know it was in the books and was impressed that they showed it. [ASoS]
It gives hope that they'll give good screen time to all the Septon stuff in later books

To show Sansa in danger of being raped specifically is sloppy and unnecessary. When the Dothraki were taking over that village they somehow magically found a way to show someone being raped in the background with having some cheap fabricated scenario.

I didn't notice Lollys getting raped in the scene. I will have to look for it on a re-watch.

I'm not really sure why showing Sansa almost getting raped is sloppy or unnecessary. It added drama to the scene and made the payoff of the Hound coming to her rescue that much more satisfying. Plus it is something that likely would have happened in that scenario.

Qhorin was excellent. But seeing how Jon and Ygritte ended together (completely different from the books) gets me worried.

How the hell is he supposed to kill Qhorin and receive the mission from him before that if he's hanging with Ygritte and far from his companions?

JGS

Banned
I didn't notice Lollys getting raped in the scene. I will have to look for it on a re-watch.

I'm not really sure why showing Sansa almost getting raped is sloppy or unnecessary. It added drama to the scene and made the payoff of the Hound coming to her rescue that much more satisfying. Plus it is something that likely would have happened in that scenario.
Not knowing the outcomes, I thought she was a goner. i thought her being a rape victim would have been a plot twist, so I was nailbiting (They had their pants off and ready to strike. That's was too close for comfort.)

Azrael

I thought the episode was the best of the season so far. I wasn't bothered by the deviations from the book, although the rangers leaving Jon alone with Ygritte was hard to swallow. I feel like that could have been written better, perhaps one of the wildlings is off on his own and makes a run for it and the other rangers are forced to chase after him and leave Jon to guard Ygritte or something.

Not knowing the outcomes, I thought she was a goner. i thought her being a rape victim would have been a plot twist, so I was nailbiting (They had their pants off and ready to strike. That's was too close for comfort.)

After Rodrik, no one knows the outcomes anymore. Not really.

;D

I thought the episode was the best of the season so far. I wasn't bothered by the deviations from the book, although the rangers leaving Jon alone with Ygritte was hard to swallow. I feel like that could have been written better, perhaps one of the wildlings is off on his own and makes a run for it and the other rangers are forced to chase after him and leave Jon to guard Ygritte or something.
But, in the books, Qhorin does just that. The problem starts when Jon pursues Ygritte because that part does not exist in the books.

[ACoK]
Jon simply lets Ygritte run away and then gets back to Qhorin, who knew Jon wasn't going to kill her.

Kuroyume

Banned
Sweet handrail and wallpaper.

corrimao.jpg

Qarthe is the worst looking area that has ever appeared on the TV show. I have a feeling it's going to get worse when
Daenerys moves on to other cities.
Maybe the house of undying will make up for it.

gutshot

They left him alone in the book too...

Meier

Wow, I did not realize that was meant to be the high septon at all. I definitely had more priestly visions in my mind.. additionally, that guy didn't feel old enough to be the religious leader of a country. He didn't come across as nearly regal enough. (Series)
I know the later high septon is all high and mighty about wealth, but he isn't in power yet as I recall. He also wouldn't be shilling for the queen anyway.

I just equated that guy to a random person blessing her departure.

KingGondo

Banned
Qarthe is the worst looking area that has ever appeared on the TV show. I have a feeling it's going to get worse when
Daenerys moves on to other cities.
Maybe the house of undying will make up for it.
It doesn't look any worse than King's Landing (in fact, the two look quite similar).

My mind is always blown by the things people find to nitpick.

Famassu

Why does it bother you so much that he found the episode boring? Your entire post reads like you're saying you hold objective judgement over what is and isn't boring.
It doesn't bother me per se, but he's simply not speaking truth about the episode. He says all there was to this episode is people sitting around in rooms talking, when in reality there was very little of that and this is one of the episodes in the series with the smallest number of that kind of scenes (not to even mention that all kinds of scheming, battles of wits, backstabbings, one-on-one confrontations (or otherwise small-ish ones) and whatnot are exactly why the book series is so great, NOT because there are so many LOTR style epic warscenes). His statement just isn't factually correct.

I'd have (almost) no objections if he actually criticized some scenes with some decent arguments, but all he does is cry about not getting some action scene in an episode that is FILLED with all kinds of action & intrique.

gutshot

Wow, I did not realize that was meant to be the high septon at all. I definitely had more priestly visions in my mind.. additionally, that guy didn't feel old enough to be the religious leader of a country. He didn't come across as nearly regal enough. (Series)
I know the later high septon is all high and mighty about wealth, but he isn't in power yet as I recall. He also wouldn't be shilling for the queen anyway.

I think he was officially credited as 'priest' but he was clearly used as a stand-in for the High Septon, in this case.

So the ending of this episode threw me for a loop. I haven't read A Clash of Kings for a while (actually rereading now) but is the [ACOK]
dragon abduction completely invented for the show? Daenarys is rebuffed by the thirteen in the book, but in her frustration she tells Jorah to find Pyat Pree as she's made the decision to go to the House of the Undying.

So the ending of this episode threw me for a loop. I haven't read A Clash of Kings for a while (actually rereading now) but is the [ACOK]
dragon abduction completely invented for the show? Daenarys is rebuffed by the thirteen in the book, but in her frustration she tells Jorah to find Pyat Pree as she's made the decision to go to the House of the Undying.

Yes, it was completely invented for the show. I couldn't understand it either.

I cant believe i am being that guy, but could you guys be any less subtle about that topic? I can easily imagine people reading the past 10 posts anc coming to a conclusion.

Sorry

Peff

I wonder if they'll make any changes to *that* now that it looks like
it's Jeyne Lannister instead of Westerling. Technically nobody could find out so it could play out exactly the same, I guess.

ronito

I actually get why the writers are making most of the changes.

Ros: Ok I don't like her but it does provide character continuity
Osha: Again, you don't really need Jojen and his sister yet, it makes sense.
Additional scenes with Arya and Tywin: I actually love this as a way to give you insight into them.
Arya's choices: It would take a while to understand her hatred of those she picked time the series doesn't have. So it makes sense. She got the first one out of vengeance and the second one out of necessity. I get it.

But there are two that I just don't get
(ACoK)
The whole change with Jeyne. Why make her from Volantis? Why that whole thing? I understand they have to create a romance and some drama but why change it so much? Makes no sense.

The second change I actually get, but I think the writers are tying themselves into knots over it, (aCok)
I get that they had her dragons be stolen to give her the motivation to go to the house of the undying. It saves time and it makes logical sense and makes the whole scene something that HAS to undertake instead of something she CHOSE to undertake. But by having all her people killed I think they get into serious issues. Doesn't she take her dothraki? Where are those people gonna come from? How are they going to explain all that? I understand why they made the change but I worry they created more problems for themselves than they fixed

FStop7

Banned
About that non book reader thread...

[ACoK/ASoS major spoilers]
There is a lot of white knighting for Tywin Lannister in there right now that makes me giggle like a schoolgirl. Just wait until they find out about Shae's true nature or the real story of Tyrion's first love... it's going to be an explosion. There is so much shit that goes down in ASoS, it's going to break people.

Maffis

Guys, talking about a certain character on the show and following it up with spoilers from future books, even when blackened out, is still a huge spoiler for some people. You imply stuff happens with that character, which means he/she might survive the season or that he dies the next. Please stop doing it.

He didn't have his crystal crown or whatever.

Zeliard

I really don't get the point of budget complaints this far into the series; people should get it by now that this isn't LOTR. I feel like many book purists don't give the show any credit, and instead focus on what isn't being shown. Having dragons flying around in every Dany scene, or direwolves chilling in every Bran/Robb/Jon scene, or turning every battle into a massive action piece etc costs money and ultimately doesn't make the show better. I'd rather have that money spent increasing the scale of important things, like making the climax of this season more epic - and luckily the creators agree.

The books are unfilmable in a direct 1:1 ratio. We knew there would be budget issues from the get go, even with HBO. While I understand complaining when something looks legit bad (like say, Dany's wedding or the Hand's tourney), complaining that Harenhel is "not big enough" and things along those lines make no sense.

These people don't understand how television budgets and shooting schedules work.

These scenes coupled with the poor pacing in other episodes is my biggest complaint regarding the show this season. The producers really do need to think about cutting a lot more than they currently are. The war, Winterfell, and King's Landing should be the dominant focus of the show. I think that instead of jumping around from plot arch to plot arch so much they would do better to just focus on one plot line at a time for extended periods. Somthing like 20 uninterrrupted minutes in King's Landing, and then 20 on the War followed by a lead-in for covering what's going on beyond the Wall, in Winterfell, and in Qarth in the next episode.

Heh, if they cut "a lot more" material then you'd have even more crying about certain things from the books not appearing/being changed/etc. They're in a no-win position with some people who don't quite seem to grasp the realities and difficulties of shooting for television, particularly a story with such an enormous cast.

Tess3ract

Banned
Qhorin was excellent. But seeing how Jon and Ygritte ended together (completely different from the books) gets me worried.

How the hell is he supposed to kill Qhorin and receive the mission from him before that if he's hanging with Ygritte and far from his companions?

Exactly the same way he's been doing it? I don't see how it changes anything.

Also Osha naked? Yesss. Also Ygritte is fucking hot.

As a bookreader, this episode owned

If you guys want to talk about stuff much later in the series, please use the A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD** thread or at the very least be careful with your spoiler tags and labels in this thread.

Wish there was a thread for the book readers... :/
Not sure what you're asking for, but this is the thread for the book readers to discuss the television show.

- The thread for discussion of the entire series: A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD** (everything is fair game, no spoiler tags)
- The television thread for non book readers: *NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Thronecast is up or those of you in the UK:

- Thronecast Episode 6: The Official Fan Show
"The Old Gods and the New" was an incredible episode, and Thronecast is here to break it all down for you - along with an exclusive interview with Isaac Hempstead-Wright (Bran Stark himself!).
- Game of Thrones: Uncut Isaac Hempstead-Wright Interview
It's another Thronecast exclusive uncut interview - this time, Geoff Lloyd meets Isaac Hempstead-Wright, who is brilliant as Bran Stark, and who tells Geoff about his audition and how he gets on with his pal Hodor (Hodor).

I'll try and dig up some youtube links later for those of us in other regions.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ygritte... is perfect. The casting for this show is phenomenal. They keep nailing it for every big role. Ygritte is something else though, they really struck gold there.

MutFox

Banned
If you guys want to talk about stuff much later in the series, please use the A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD** thread or at the very least be careful with your spoiler tags and labels.

Not sure what you're asking for, but this is the thread for the book readers to discuss the television show.

- The thread for discussion of the entire series: A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD** (everything is fair game, no spoiler tags)
- The television thread for non book readers: *NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Thanks, I guess I thought this was thread just for the show...
I'll stay in the other non-spoiler thread.

Thanks Again! :p

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
But there are two that I just don't get
(ACoK)
The whole change with Jeyne. Why make her from Volantis? Why that whole thing? I understand they have to create a romance and some drama but why change it so much? Makes no sense.

The second change I actually get, but I think the writers are tying themselves into knots over it, (aCok)
I get that they had her dragons be stolen to give her the motivation to go to the house of the undying. It saves time and it makes logical sense and makes the whole scene something that HAS to undertake instead of something she CHOSE to undertake. But by having all her people killed I think they get into serious issues. Doesn't she take her dothraki? Where are those people gonna come from? How are they going to explain all that? I understand why they made the change but I worry they created more problems for themselves than they fixed
I would agree with your first point if I didn't believe
she's lying about everything about herself.

I'm pretty sure
most of the men who were killed were Xaro's men. At least all of the ones in the courtyard were judging by what they were wearing and having short hair. The ones on the steps were Dothraki though.

Pollux

If you guys want to talk about stuff much later in the series, please use the A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD** thread or at the very least be careful with your spoiler tags and labels.

I think we're doing spoiler tags for released chapters from the next book. But once the book is released it goes back to no spoilers for anything.

Ygritte... is perfect. The casting for this show is phenomenal. They keep nailing it for every big role. Ygritte is something else though, they really struck gold there.

Agreed. I wasn't expecting much because that promo shot floating around of her smiling seems kind of out of character, but seeing her scenes on the show is much different.

That IS Ygritte. We won't really know for sure though, until she says the line.

These people don't understand how television budgets and shooting schedules work.

Heh, if they cut "a lot more" material then you'd have even more crying about certain things from the books not appearing/being changed/etc. They're in a no-win position with some people who don't quite seem to grasp the realities and difficulties of shooting for television, particularly a story with such an enormous cast.

So true. The thing is though, not many people really have the ability to understand it either. It's okay though, as the show isn't really made specifically for them anyways. It has to appeal to a broader audience, especially an audience who has no clue whatsoever and just watches it because it is entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom