• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arment

Don't worry, we'll soon be back to bashing/defending Yara.

I was a bit taken aback by her. Not sure why I guess. I just figured she'd be more fit and a bit more beautiful. But Theon is kind of weird looking too, so it works out. I'm more worried about Dormer. She has the potential to totally ruin my immersion but I'm giving her a chance.

Wray

Structurally it is no more the climax of those plotlines than it is the preamble to the rest of the book.

It's the climax to Robb's and Non-Zombie Cat's story, in addition to the whole King of the North/Rebelion story. Plus it's the climax to Roose and the Frey's Book 3 story arc. Especially Roose.

You also have to realize that the show is a different format. Season 3 is most likely going to introduce Edmure (and Hopefully Blackfish too!). It's going to feature Roose heavily, and the Frey's will be brought back into the story. All season long, the Robb/Cat/Edmure/Roose storylines will be building up to that event. They have to deliver the climax that season and not push back to S4.

Sure, the Red Wedding is the catalyst for major plot lines going forward, but so was Ned's death. Imagine if in the tv show, they pushed Ned's death back to the first episode of S2 after building up Ned's story all season long. It would have been awkward and wouldn't have worked. That's how the RW would feel if they pushed it back to S4.

ASOS spoilarz:

Another reason season3 NEEDS to end on the RW: economics. Season4 features some large scale events, so much so that it will drive costs higher than before. The latter half of ASOS features the battle at the Wall, the siege of the slave cities and Mareen, Jamie's stump (which will need to be digitally painted out of the entire season), adult-ish dragons, giants, direwolves, etc. With episodes averaging out ~8million dollars an episode, season 4 could easily hit 10 - making season4 a 100million dollar endeavor. Crazy money. What better way to stir up interest and creating a culture and lasting buzz than one of the greatest betrayal scenes to ever be filmed.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ASOS spoilarz:

Another reason season3 NEEDS to end on the RW: economics. Season4 features some large scale events, so much so that it will drive costs higher than before. The latter half of ASOS features the battle at the Wall, the seize of the slave cities and Mareen, Jamie's stump (which will need to be digitally painted out of the entire season), adult-ish dragons, giants, direwolves, etc. With episodes averaging out ~8million dollars an episode, season 4 could easily hit 10 - making season4 a 100million dollar endeavor. Crazy money. What better way to stir up interest and creating a culture and lasting buzz than one of the greatest betrayal scenes to ever be filmed.

[sos]
also, it means less lead actors to pay in season four.

Arment

ASOS spoilarz:

Another reason season3 NEEDS to end on the RW: economics. Season4 features some large scale events, so much so that it will drive costs higher than before. The latter half of ASOS features the battle at the Wall, the seize of the slave cities and Mareen, Jamie's stump (which will need to be digitally painted out of the entire season), adult-ish dragons, giants, direwolves, etc. With episodes averaging out ~8million dollars an episode, season 4 could easily hit 10 - making season4 a 100million dollar endeavor. Crazy money. What better way to stir up interest and creating a culture and lasting buzz than one of the greatest betrayal scenes to ever be filmed.

I really wonder if the budget would ever get as high as 100 million a season.

I can see it being raised some but they do get to re-use some of the same sets. That has to cut down the cost of the future seasons a bit I would think. But I could be totally off too.

Wray

Yup, and on your last point (ASOS)
I completely agree that if the RW is s3 ep9, then Joff's death is ep10.
I also think that that is possible, but it would kind of rush the book a bit. It would also mean having to introduce some of AFFC/ADWD into the latter half of season 4, which, as I've said, would just leave that season as an absolute clusterfuck in terms of pacing.

Not if they are smart with what Feast/Dance chapters they move up. There are certain arcs that should absolutely end where SoS ended, but other arcs they can easily move up.

- Sansa/Eyrie S4 stuff should end where SoS ends (Moon Door).

- Tyrion and Tywin should be Ep9. They can then move part of Tyrion's first Dance chapter up, where he's getting on the boat, or getting drunk on the boat on the way across the Narrow Sea.

- Jon and Stannis stuff from Dance should be moved up. There are some solid season ending scenes they can use to end the season with from the first 2-3 chapters of Dance.

- Theon/Ramsay stuff from Dance should be moved up also. End with Ramsay skinning the Ironborn.

- Arya should end on the docks with "Valar Morghulis"

- All of the Ironborn stuff from Feast should be moved up to S4. End with Vic departing to Mereen.

Who else am I missing?

jett

D-Member
ASOS spoilarz:

This is where Season 3 _really_ needs to end: (ASOS, obviously)
right after RW, with the show making you think the Hound chopped off Arya's head
, for maximum trolling.

Subitai

aSoS
I think you guys are all forgetting Joffery's bad wedding party too. This can happen in the same second to last episode as the Red Wedding to juxtapose how fatal this war has become for everyone involved - kings or no. I also think we'll be surprised to see how much side stuff from Book 3 is brought up into the second season in order to make room for season 3.

Famassu

I completely disagree (ASOS)
I've already said in this thread today why ending season 3 on the RW is a terrible, terrible idea, so I'll address your point about not having enough in the first half. Yes, most of the climactic mind-blowing shit happens in the second half, but Dany conquers Astapor and Yunakai in the first half. Having Jon escape the wildlings at Queenscrown, Sam and Gilly getting saved by Coldhands, and Dany routing the Yunkish army in the season finale is a fine place to end it.
Sorry, but that would leave way too many characters without a proper finale. As I already said, ending season 3 with (ASOS)
Red Wedding AND Joffrey's death would be a perfect point to end. At that point, most other characters would also have good ending points with Arya reaching the Red Wedding and being taken away by the Hound again, Jon escaping the Wildlings, Jaime saving Brienne, Sansa escaping King's Landing, Dany buying the Unsullied etc. Your "but everybody will stop watching the show" is a pointless fear, especially if they go with how I suggested they'd go (Ep9: Red Wedding, Ep10: Joffrey's death), that way they'd be mad at RW but Joffrey's death would help sooth some of that anger. If anything, Red Wedding is going to be the event that makes everybody a fan for life. I mean... do you know a lot of people who just refuse to continue reading ASOIAF past that point? I don't.

Really, the way you want it to be done would simply leave TOO MUCH for Season 4, while Season 3 would be a "boring" build-up season that leaves many storylines hanging without too much resolution for anything

It may not be as "shocking" as the RW, but letting themselves take some time with the story will really help the pacing, I feel. You can already feel the rushed pace in the first two episodes of Season 2, and it would only get worse if you rushed season 3 just to end it at the RW. Splitting the seasons roughly where the book was split would allow them to spend more than 2 minutes per character in any given episode.
ASOS
They could easily just slow down certain storylines in Season 3 so that more would be in Season 4 as well as expand others for Season 4. Also, they could take some things from AFFC/ADWD to Season 4 if need be.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think there is a lot of overestimation of just how much would be left of SOS after 'that' event, but that being said, giving that last third or so of the book a whole season to breath might actually end up making for really good TV.

KingK

Sorry, but that would leave way too many characters without a proper finale. As I already said, ending season 3 with (ASOS)
Red Wedding AND Joffrey's death would be a perfect point to end. At that point, most other characters would also have good ending points with Arya reaching the Red Wedding and being taken away by the Hound again, Jon escaping the Wildlings, Jaime saving Brienne, Sansa escaping King's Landing, Dany buying the Unsullied etc. Your "but everybody will stop watching the show" is a pointless fear, especially if they go with how I suggested they'd go (Ep9: Red Wedding, Ep10: Joffrey's death), that way they'd be mad at RW but Joffrey's death would help sooth some of that anger. If anything, Red Wedding is going to be the event that makes everybody a fan for life. I mean... do you know a lot of people who just refuse to continue reading ASOIAF past that point? I don't.

Really, the way you want it to be done would simply leave TOO MUCH for Season 4, while Season 3 would be a "boring" build-up season that leaves many storylines hanging without too much resolution for anything

I've already agreed that you could have season 3 end with (ASOS)
Red Wedding in ep9 and Purple Wedding in ep10, as long as Robb and Joff's deaths are in the same season I think it'll be fine, you just can't end the season on a shot of Robb and Catelyn's dead bodies.
And it would work pretty well, if not feeling a little rushed.

Where my concern comes in is that it would leave season 4 with only half a season's worth of content. There are some AFFC/ADWD parts that could be properly inserted into season 4, such as (AFFC/ADWD)
Iron Islands stuff and some Theon/Ramsay stuff
but not enough to make up the difference. They would have to do some serious restructuring of the order of events in the book to make season 3 end where you would like it to and still have season 4 work at all.

Magnus

ASOS
The notion of post-RW/PW SOS being enough to carry its own season - season 4 - is out of the question? There's so much there, so much that could be allowed to expand and breathe, and still some truly enormous events to function as a climax for that season - Tyrion's trial, escape, Tywin, Dany's latest city conquest, Arya and the Hound, Sansa's escape, the fallout from both weddings, Cat and Beric, Petyr and Lysa...

I've only read through SOS, so forgive me, my perspective might be limited.

apana

ASOS spoilarz:

Another reason season3 NEEDS to end on the RW: economics. Season4 features some large scale events, so much so that it will drive costs higher than before. The latter half of ASOS features the battle at the Wall, the siege of the slave cities and Mareen, Jamie's stump (which will need to be digitally painted out of the entire season), adult-ish dragons, giants, direwolves, etc. With episodes averaging out ~8million dollars an episode, season 4 could easily hit 10 - making season4 a 100million dollar endeavor. Crazy money. What better way to stir up interest and creating a culture and lasting buzz than one of the greatest betrayal scenes to ever be filmed.

Also remember that [ASOS]
Bran has to reach a tower in the middle of a lake and has to go through some kind of magical gate. I imagine that won't be cheap to do properly. If that Robb related incident is done in season 4 it will not have as big a budget. I wan't that event done properly with all the battles, large halls, sword going directly into you know where, the best music, and you know what on you know who's head. I wan't it basically to look like a movie.

I think there is a lot of overestimation of just how much would be left of SOS after 'that' event, but that being said, giving that last third or so of the book a whole season to breath might actually end up making for really good TV.

Some storylines will be sped up and others slowed down. [ASOS]
Season 3 will focus on Robb, Arya, and King's Landing. Season 4 will focus more on Jon and Bran. Of course you will be seeing all the storylines in each season, it is just a matter of emphasis.

Famassu

I've already agreed that you could have season 3 end with (ASOS)
Red Wedding in ep9 and Purple Wedding in ep10, as long as Robb and Joff's deaths are in the same season I think it'll be fine, you just can't end the season on a shot of Robb and Catelyn's dead bodies.
And it would work pretty well, if not feeling a little rushed.

Where my concern comes in is that it would leave season 4 with only half a season's worth of content. There are some AFFC/ADWD parts that could be properly inserted into season 4, such as (AFFC/ADWD)
Iron Islands stuff and some Theon/Ramsay stuff
but not enough to make up the difference. They would have to do some serious restructuring of the order of events in the book to make season 3 end where you would like it to and still have season 4 work at all.
It would leave them with (ASOS/AFFC/ADWD)
AT LEAST ~30-40% of ASOS and with the possibility to bring stuff like Iron Isles from AFFC and maybe even Theon from ADWD, move certain events from season 3 to 4 etc., that is plenty for a season's worth of TV, especially since there are great possibilities to expand some characters/storylines (Tyrells would be perfect for that, given how important players they'll be in the game by that point and will become even more important in the future). That and they could finally slow down the pace a bit. It will be a bit of a rush towards Red Wedding, so having the season after that calm down for a bit (as far as pacing goes; Tyrion's trial, the wildling attack on the Wall etc. would still make for plenty exciting events) could make for a refreshing change of pace.

KingK

It would leave them with (ASOS/AFFC/ADWD)
AT LEAST ~30-40% of ASOS and with the possibility to bring stuff like Iron Isles from AFFC and maybe even Theon from ADWD, move certain events from season 3 to 4 etc., that is plenty for a season's worth of TV, especially since there are great possibilities to expand some characters/storylines (Tyrells would be perfect for that, given how important players they'll be in the game by that point and will become even more important in the future). That and they could finally slow down the pace a bit. It will be a bit of a rush towards Red Wedding, so having the season after that calm down for a bit (as far as pacing goes; Tyrion's trial, the wildling attack on the Wall etc. would still make for plenty exciting events) could make for a refreshing change of pace.

I suppose they might be able to make it work. I'd still prefer to split it just the way the book does, but as long as (ASOS)
Robb and Joff's deaths are in the same season
I'll be content.

Boardwalk Empire Season 2 Spoiler
We'll get kind of a test run here in a bit. At the end of Season 2 Jimmy got shot in the face and the internet was filled with the tears of his fan. We'll see what happens when season 3 rolls out.

God, don't remind me. :/

ASOS
I'm more of a Tyrion and Daenerys fan myself. When Rob and Catelyn died I was like, "Holy shit." Put the book down for 10 minutes and then kept going. There's plenty of people to root for like Jon and Daenerys (personally I always root for Tyrion too). As far as power goes, aren't the good guys supposed to have it tough? Can't have the good guy on top 3 seasons in to a 8 season (minimum) show.

Series Spoilers
Honestly could not give two shits about Dany. I liked her at the beginning of the series, but her pretty much never growing up (reading here thoughts is painful) and basically seeming to have no interest in going to Westeros at this point is maddening.

This page, lol.

Not real spoilers.

........................................................................................................... ............................................................................................................
............................................................................................................
............................................................................................................
.............................................................................................................. .........................................................................................................

Is this what we get between each episode?

Better than five different threads and accidental wrong posting bans, I guess.

Dany ... fans?
She has her moments, but is extremely ... meh. But she is just a young girl, and knows nothing of these matters.

Thought about the recent discussion (Major ASOS spoilers)
That would be so weird to have two major weddings in back to back episodes. I don't think that would work at all.

And after so much of this discussion, it would probably be best if we take it over to the all spoilers welcome SOIAF thread. This is a thread about season 2 of the show after all.

Subitai

And after so much of this discussion, it would probably be best if we take it over to the all spoilers welcome SOIAF thread. This is a thread about season 2 of the show after all.
Yeah, HBO makes an announcement and we all go ape-poop with speculation.

I r sorry...on 2 levels

Just watched the episode.

1. Holy hell Theon's sister is noticeably unattractive. I'm fine whenever they change things from the books, but what a baffling decision.

2. I haven't read through this thread yet, but I had to make these. The moment I saw it in the episode I said oh God. Here it is complete with CSI autoenhance to bring out the amazing:

LWbbS.png

TkYnW.png

opCWX.png

u968D.png

Just watched the episode.

1. Holy hell Theon's sister is noticeably unattractive. I'm fine whenever they change things from the books, but what a baffling decision.

2. I haven't read through this thread yet, but I had to make these. The moment I saw it in the episode I said oh God. Here it is complete with CSI autoenhance to bring out the amazing:

LWbbS.png

TkYnW.png

opCWX.png

u968D.png

Zoom in on her forehead!

Enhance!

There's your killer Mr Stark!

AngryMoth

ASOS
I think any viewer loss would be negligible. People who have been with the show for three years aren't just going to ignore it. Some will be pissed, how could they kill my favorites. But 9 months later when previews start rolling around and the hype builds most will come back, and those that don't will come back once the series gets rolling again and all the awesome shit starts happening.
I dunno, I think it would be a mistake to (ASOS)
end season 3 with that, the same way it would have been a mistake to end season 1 with Ned's death. You need to have Joff's wedding in there as well to reconcile it.
. The more I think about it though the more convinced I become that that's the way they will do it, regardless of whether its the right thing. These guys are tv writers, and they've already expressed their excitement over doing that scene. I think they'll restructure S3 and 4 however is necessary to have
RW
at the end of S3.

Cruising through the Game of Thrones subreddit and came across this little gem:
dPTR7.png

Does she ever. <3 Emilia.

And yeah, I was kinda bummed at how average Asha (Yara, whatever) looked. She wasn't ugly but it wasn't really the same as the idea you got in the books, that she was straight up hot after her awkward phase. Oh well, it's not a big deal anyway, as long as she can pull off the character.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Wow, pretty painful to read thru the last 10+ pages of Asha-bitching. I thought she was more than fine for the role. Sure, she could've had a thinner face and a larger nose, and, I guess, longer legs. But I thought she nailed the swagger, and no, she's not unattractive either(imo).
I don't get why people expect medieval fighting women to look like frickin' fitness models. Her look with, probably, muscle underneath some fat seems more realistic. I wouldn't want to be skinny while sailing on northern seas. I would freeze to death before even getting to the reaving part.

Liked the episode! Interesting to see where they will go with some of the changes, like Jon witnessing Craster giving away a son to the WW. Can't quite decide whether that was Gilly's baby or someone else's. Can't recall anyone else being pregnant tho.
SoS
I guess they will fast forward some stuff, like Gilly probably going with Sam and Jon now instead of after the Fist of the First Men. Especially if that was Gilly's baby.

Randdalf

So "Autumn Storms" eh... ASOS
Wasn't the Red Wedding held up by storms... in Autumn. Wasn't there one whole chapter spent getting to the Twins but slowed down because of Autumn storms. Mayhaps this is the Red Wedding, or implies that the Red Wedding occurs soon after this episode.

I'm certain they're going to have to introduce the Blackfish and Edmure as characters in season 3. They become very important in ASOS.

tirminyl

This page, lol.

Not real spoilers.

........................................................................................................... ............................................................................................................
.............................................................................................................. .........................................................................................................

Is this what we get between each episode?

Better than five different threads and accidental wrong posting bans, I guess.

Dany ... fans?
She has her moments, but is extremely ... meh. But she is just a young girl, and knows nothing of these matters.

Ha, I was gonna comment about this. The last few pages look like heavily redacted government documents.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it's what happens when an episode leaks a week in advance. everyone gets restless.

Piecake

Wow, pretty painful to read thru the last 10+ pages of Asha-bitching. I thought she was more than fine for the role. Sure, she could've had a thinner face and a larger nose, and, I guess, longer legs. But I thought she nailed the swagger, and no, she's not unattractive either(imo).

Yea, I think she is fine, and I never did picture Asha as smoking hot in the books, just lean, fit, and lanky. Now, that actor definitely doesnt fit that description, but I am perfectly fine if they went with the actor who better portrayed her character than an actor that better portrayed her look

- Maureen Ryan's interview with DB Weiss about the S3 renewal

Agreed. If people want to get into detailed conversation about how to split up ASoS into two seasons and other spoiler territory, let's move it to the other thread. It'll keep the endless black bars out of here, and you guys can talk about things without tags over there. That thread is here. *spoilers for all ASoIaF books*

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
- Maureen Ryan's interview with DB Weiss about the S3 renewal

Agreed. If people want to get into detailed conversation about how to split up ASoS into two seasons and other spoiler territory, let's move it to the other thread. It'll keep the endless black bars out of here, and you guys can talk about things without tags over there. That thread is here. *spoilers for all ASoIaF books*

have pity for those of us reading the books at the moment that don't have a place to discuss the books that aren't unmarked spoiler mine-fields (whether they're supposed to be or not).

calza

But we are not talking about the books, the tv show is already significantly different. It makes more sense to talk about a tv show in a tv show thread.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Yea, I think she is fine, and I never did picture Asha as smoking hot in the books, just lean, fit, and lanky. Now, that actor definitely doesnt fit that description, but I am perfectly fine if they went with the actor who better portrayed her character than an actor that better portrayed her look

Yeah, someone said they pictured her as Megan Fox, which I don't get at all.

Theon's description of her is lean and long legged, with a narrow face, a too big nose but the smile more than makes up for it. Then he gets all hot and bothered by the way she acts. Sure, the actress isn't lean, but I think, from the limited time we saw her, that she got the "act" right.

She did seem to enjoy getting finger banged by her brother to a somewhat disturbing degree though...

Micerider

She did seem to enjoy getting finger banged by her brother to a somewhat disturbing degree though...

Yeah, Theon has the excuse of not knowing at least.

Interesting character at any rate. I can clearly smell the smug smile on her face, hinting a deep feeling of "I can do it all, You won't bend me, and if you try, I'll laugh at your face for it".

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like a new no spoiler thread comparing/contrasting the show and books to me.
So this thread can degenerate into spending a whole week discussing whether Asha was cast well or not? Please.

JGS

Banned
So this thread can degenerate into spending a whole week discussing whether Asha was cast well or not? Please.
As opposed to future characters of a non-existent season?

That would just slow this thread down to where it should be. As it is a page was wasted discussing issues not related to season 2. At least the Asha debate was relevant if still pointless.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'll take interesting and tangentially related over completely related and totally banal, every single time.

My intent isn't to remove all later book conversation from this thread, since some of that is necessary and appropriate here. I'd just like to keep this thread focused on Season 2 of the television show to the extent that's possible. There's already a fair bit of later television discussion in the other thread, and the more detailed conversations (e.g. a chapter by chapter breakdown of what you feel should go in S3 & S4 of the show) is easier over there without tags. Redirecting some of this conversation over there to ease some of the burden on this thread makes sense to me. To sum up - let's keep the discussion in this thread geared towards S2, and if you're able to use the other thread for some of your S3 and beyond conversations, please do so. In any case, I'd assume that a lot of the S3+ conversation is going to die down sooner or later anyway.

Sounds like a new no spoiler thread comparing/contrasting the show and books to me.
I think we have enough threads already.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, hey, it looks like Australia doesn't have the same weird HBO iTunes thing as the US. Nice.

- Westeros.org: Interview with David Benioff and Dan Weiss *some ACoK spoilers*

Of interest:
Q: How do you decide which characters to keep and which to drop?

Dan: Ultimately, there are so many characters in the books that we&#8217;ve told George that if we cast all the characters in the book, we&#8217;d use all the budget on casting with no money for cameras or crew or sets.

David: One thing that&#8217;s important for us to think about is that we&#8217;re making it for an audience that has some viewers who&#8217;ve read the books, and many whom have not. We want to appeal to both groups. There&#8217;s a huge number of characters. I don&#8217;t think there&#8217;s a bigger cast on television&#8212;

Dan: I believe that is a fact.

David.&#8212;and I don&#8217;t think anyone else asks viewers to process so many storylines and characters. And also one thing to keep in mind is that there are characters in the second book who don&#8217;t appear this season, but are coming in later. It&#8217;s just about so many new characters introduced in the second season, so we saved some for the next season. They aren&#8217;t being omitted, they&#8217;re just being delayed.

Dan: A lot of it is just where does somebody really become central to the story, and we can&#8217;t afford to have people waiting around for their story to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom