• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
iOK62AD6Sk5nM.gif

No problem.

so many uses for this gif

Solo

Oh, it's getting there.

I love GoT, but it's not in the same league as Deadwood. It's not even playing the same sport. In GoT, you're talking about one of the better shows currently airing. In Deadwood, you're talking about one of the very best (and in the discussion for the best) television shows in history.

Magnus

I had to memorialize my favorite moment of the hour:

202salla.gif

I wish GIF Brewery let me add subs. =/ Although this one works better without them, haha.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
are the chapters referenced to by character title rather than name one-offs in AFFC?

Like, "The Prophet" or "The Captain of the Guards". Why the change in convention?

are the chapters referenced to by character title rather than name one-offs in AFFC?

Like, "The Prophet" or "The Captain of the Guards". Why the change in convention?

Some characters do it and they aren't one-offs. I think GRRM's idea was to use it for "guest POVs" and liked it enough that he started to do it all over the place.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Definitely not one-offs. It keeps up through ADWD and several become recurrent POVs and even ones with normal name titles. One character in ADWD has chapters under two different names and several different descriptive titles like you mentioned. It's strange.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Rightio. I thought it was a little bit strange. Cheers.

There is a book thread for this
there were also at least four people watching this thread with nothing to post over the last hour, I'm not exactly derailing anything.

jett

D-Member

Only some. Most chapters are titled by character name.

ZeroRay

Some characters do it and they aren't one-offs. I think GRRM's idea was to use it for "guest POVs" and liked it enough that he started to do it all over the place.

He does do it in a clever way with
Arya, Sansa, and Theon
in terms of them trying to find an identity.

Magnus

Plywood, what're you using to make GIFs? I'm using GIF Brewery, and I can't seem to recreate the normal fluidity and speed of the show within the GIF.

Dickin' around:

uWKrE.gif

Arment

I love GoT, but it's not in the same league as Deadwood. It's not even playing the same sport. In GoT, you're talking about one of the better shows currently airing. In Deadwood, you're talking about one of the very best (and in the discussion for the best) television shows in history.

Man, I know you love that show but I personally don't hold Deadwood as high as you. I could see it in a top 10 if you're really into the western setting. The three* season run hinders it a lot.

Arment

Yeah, I meant three.

Game of Thrones is 12 episodes in. Those of us who have read the books - we know were simply at the foot of a mountain of climax. I think I consider it on par with some of the greatest shows because I know what potential it has. To someone watching it fresh, they don't have the bias I do. So when I see people say Deadwood couldn't be on the same tier of Game of Thrones I need to remember you didn't say A Song of Ice and Fire. Heh.

By the middle of the entire shows run this show will be on a whole new level.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Plywood, what're you using to make GIFs? I'm using GIF Brewery, and I can't seem to recreate the normal fluidity and speed of the show within the GIF.

Photoshop.

I use this to cut out a mp4 clip from the episode. I then import into photoshop and make the gif from there.

Solo

Yeah, I meant three.

Game of Thrones is 12 episodes in. Those of us who have read the books - we know were simply at the foot of a mountain of climax. I think I consider it on par with some of the greatest shows because I know what its potential is. To someone watching it fresh, they don't have the bias I do. So when I see people say Deadwood couldn't be on the same tier of Game of Thrones I need to remember you didn't say A Song of Ice and Fire. Heh.

I read the first three books too. Yes, its a great source. And like I said, I love the show, so I'm paying it no disrespect. But David Milch's writing is a cut above this and most other shows. It's that he is that good, not that everyone else is that bad.

Magnus

Photoshop.

I use this to cut out a mp4 clip from the episode. I then import into photoshop and make the gif from there.

Appreciate the suggestions.

Tried everything but my CS 5 doesn't seem to want to recognize any file formats properly when I 'Import Video Frames to Layers' -- they're either all greyed out (mp4/avi/anything) or I get a series of black stills (mov/mpeg).

ALAS.

GIF Brewery it is.

I read the first three books too. Yes, its a great source. And like I said, I love the show, so I'm paying it no disrespect. But David Milch's writing is a cut above this and most other shows. It's that he is that good, not that everyone else is that bad.

GoT is good, and if adapted to its max potential I think the show could be stunning, but as of right now it's just good, sometimes great - not on the level of a show like The Wire or Breaking Bad (I haven't seen Deadwood). The writing is simply too inconsistent imo. The show often loses its footing the more it strays from the novels. That's not to say I'm a purist who hates any change - in fact I like most of the changes they make that advance the story quicker (like making Bronn captain of the Gold Cloaks). But some of the invented scenes are quite bad imo, and attempts to make certain characters more complex don't always work. A lot of the invented dialogue just doesn't sound natural, such as Shae's ridiculous "the city smells like cum...and makes me want to fuck" nonsense, or Viserys discussing the dragons in S1.

It's one of the best shows on television, but I don't see it reaching Olympian heights with Weiss and Benioff

Man, I know you love that show but I personally don't hold Deadwood as high as you. I could see it in a top 10 if you're really into the western setting. The three* season run hinders it a lot.

The Western setting barely impacts its merit.

It's a Communal setting. It could be set in the fuckin' Rennaisance and it'd still be the most captivating, human, beautiful, hilarious, and uplifting show ever aired.

The Hermit

Yeah, I meant three.

Game of Thrones is 12 episodes in. Those of us who have read the books - we know were simply at the foot of a mountain of climax. I think I consider it on par with some of the greatest shows because I know what potential it has. To someone watching it fresh, they don't have the bias I do. So when I see people say Deadwood couldn't be on the same tier of Game of Thrones I need to remember you didn't say A Song of Ice and Fire. Heh.

By the middle of the entire shows run this show will be on a whole new level.

Oh shit...

Do you think I should read the books first? I read LOTR before the movies and enjoyed both greatly, but now I don't know what to do...

jett

D-Member
GoT is good, and if adapted to its max potential I think the show could be stunning, but as of right now it's just good, sometimes great - not on the level of a show like The Wire or Breaking Bad (I haven't seen Deadwood). The writing is simply too inconsistent imo. The show often loses its footing the more it strays from the novels. That's not to say I'm a purist who hates any change - in fact I like most of the changes they make that advance the story quicker (like making Bronn captain of the Gold Cloaks). But some of the invented scenes are quite bad imo, and attempts to make certain characters more complex don't always work. A lot of the invented dialogue just doesn't sound natural, such as Shae's ridiculous "the city smells like cum...and makes me want to fuck" nonsense, or Viserys discussing the dragons in S1.

It's one of the best shows on television, but I don't see it reaching Olympian heights with Weiss and Benioff

Agreed. It definitely doesn't stand high in the all-time HBO totem pole at this pont. The writing and the conversations the characters hold are just a little too weird and unnatural sometimes.

diunxx

Yep, and I have to give a special mention to the scene between Littlefinger and Cersei in episode one not only was it a terrible scene it was also incredibly out of character for LF, not to mention that he didn't even went out to search for Arya they both seem to have forgotten that little confrontation.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
As much as I love this show, I've found I'm waiting to witness certain arcs at times instead of taking in the linking scenarios. Especially since this show moves pretty fast and its basically a bunch of vignettes tied together.

Yep, and I have to give a special mention to the scene between Littlefinger and Cersei in episode one not only was it a terrible scene it was also incredibly out of character for LF, not to mention that he didn't even went out to search for Arya they both seem to have forgotten that little confrontation.

I loved Cersei in the scene, especially her display of power. And while I liked the scene overall, writing-wise it struck me as a bad fanfiction. I hate being "That Guy" focused on the books, but I just really thought LF's behavior was out of character. It would be as if there was a scene in S1 with Ned Stark drunk in a brothel slapping asses. I really think the writers almost seem obligated to give Gillen scenes to justify hiring him. He's a great actor deserving a good role, and perhaps LF just isn't it (if this is how the writers want to use him).

Overall the lack of subtlety is a problem not just with that scene, but the show in general. Everything is explicit and in your face. I get that this isn't The Wire and needs to help viewers, but even an overt show like Spartacus has more subtlety.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I loved Cersei in the scene, especially her display of power. And while I liked the scene overall, writing-wise it struck me as a bad fanfiction. I hate being "That Guy" focused on the books, but I just really thought LF's behavior was out of character. It would be as if there was a scene in S1 with Ned Stark drunk in a brothel slapping asses. I really think the writers almost seem obligated to give Gillen scenes to justify hiring him. He's a great actor deserving a good role, and perhaps LF just isn't it (if this is how the writers want to use him).

Overall the lack of subtlety is a problem not just with that scene, but the show in general. Everything is explicit and in your face. I get that this isn't The Wire and needs to help viewers, but even an overt show like Spartacus has more subtlety.
i can sympathize with the writers. Littlefinger is a major character who needs a strong, leading actor to be cast and introduced from season one. That said, he doesn't really have a lot to do for a while. So the problem becomes multilayered. How do we keep Gillen earning his salary as a full-time cast member when he isn't in the source material all that much? And, perhaps even more importantly, how do we make sure the audience remember who this guy is?

I don't envy the writers at all.

Fjordson

LTTP here, but I really enjoyed this episode. More so than the premiere. Davos continues to be excellent, and I loved the exchange between Arya and Gendry. Great chemistry there.

Also, it's been said plenty already, but god damn @ Carice van Houten.

I'd have to agree with this. GoT is very good and HBO shows in general are usually playing in a different league compared to 99% of TV, but Deadwood was just incredible. It also moved at its's own pace. GoT suffers a little from trying to cover vast expanses of story very quickly.

noah111

Still Alive
I'm watching the first season for the first time, just finished episode 5. I'm liking it so far, the "realism" is appealing and I like where things seem to be going (though it's somewhat unpredictable).

Glad I got into it.

yacobod

Banned
Agreed. It definitely doesn't stand high in the all-time HBO totem pole at this pont. The writing and the conversations the characters hold are just a little too weird and unnatural sometimes.

Ya it's not even up to the quality of HBO mid-card king Rome.

i can sympathize with the writers. Littlefinger is a major character who needs a strong, leading actor to be cast and introduced from season one. That said, he doesn't really have a lot to do for a while. So the problem becomes multilayered. How do we keep Gillen earning his salary as a full-time cast member when he isn't in the source material all that much? And, perhaps even more importantly, how do we make sure the audience remember who this guy is?

I don't envy the writers at all.

I definitely envy the writers, I'd kill to have that job. I'd bust my ass 70 hours a week to make it work if that's what it took.

Peru

It's a very different show, though. Sometimes it has to pack too much from the book in, sometimes it's clunky or awkward, but those are small sacrifices for what is essentially the first real fantasy drama series. You compare it to other HBO shows, Deadwood, ROme, whatever, but the thing is it's totally new ground. We haven't seen any world like this presented like this before. I think it's unfair to compare it to other shows that build off of a lot of other cultural products - it was never going to be as polished.

JGS

Banned
Loved the scene as a definition of real power.

I also was annoyed that Littlefinger was seen as unmoveable even though he can tell his whole life story of patheticness to a couple of hookers having sex. That was more out of character. He's like The Fonz of the show and this cracked the shell a bit without removing a hint of danger about him as evidenced in the next episode.

The writers made it evident that certain things like losing the love of his life was a sore spot and Cercei, with him & Tyrion, is quite good at exposing the weaknesses of others.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
- WiC.net: Casting Season Three: Mance Rayder *some ASoS spoilers*

Please spoiler tag discussion as necessary (e.g. attributes, plot points from past where we are in the tv series, other characters that haven't been introduced yet, etc...) Also note that you can use the "A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**" thread if you want to talk about this without spoiler tags.

Errmm... should I also spoiler-tag the name of the characters? I mean, Oona's is public knowledge, right?

But some of the invented scenes are quite bad imo, and attempts to make certain characters more complex don't always work. A lot of the invented dialogue just doesn't sound natural, such as Shae's ridiculous "the city smells like cum...and makes me want to fuck" nonsense, or Viserys discussing the dragons in S1.

I agree that some of the invented scenes are silly (we certainly didn't need Loras sucking Renly off to beat us over the head that Renly might actually be gay) but I would say most of them add A LOT to the story. In my opinion for every meh new scene, we get 2 great new scenes. Robert Baratheon talking about Lyanna to Cersei for instance was a great scene as is Tywin's lecture to Jaime. I also like that Theon's presence in Season 1 of the show is greater than in the book. I can certainly name far more positive additions than the negatives. I forgot, the Littlefinger/Varys scenes are also really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom