• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 12/14/2010

This week's WiiWare segment was like a joke that starts out really funny, then gets less funny, then gets funny again, then gets unfunny, then gets annoying, then gets really funny at the end. Now someone needs to edit it to play at double speed.

Nert

I'm really looking forward to the GOTY stuff, as there were so many games that at least some of them seem to have really loved (Pac-Man CE DX, Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Mass Effect 2, Starcraft 2, etc.). It seems like the length of their discussion is bearing that out.

Neuromancer said:
No, on the 360.

I gave up on it right around when I had to fight a series of repeated bosses. I just got burnt out.

Yes. Fortunately us subscribers were able to pay Whiskey Media their hefty ransom, making the Bombcast free to everyone.
Yeah that can happen. I got Bayonetta day 1 and didn't beat it until maybe a month or two later. I love DMC and character action games, but I just find it better to take those games slowly and not just marathon them.

Lijik said:
You get the full bombcast, but subscribers get access to audio feeds to let them listen in on the crew 24/7.
I wake up to the sounds of Vinny sleeping every morning.

eh I prefer to listen in on Jeff around 11PM.

Zomba13

You know what. Fuck the GB crew. Not liking DMC and then being interesting what NT are doing to it?
No. Just no. A deeper story and more real characters will do NOTHING for DMC.

I always get riled up when people bring up nu DmC.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Brewster's Wallet said:
Early Christmas present :D

631217-jeffgreen1.jpg
thats....thats not...black dragon...is it??

Atilac said:
From listening further it sounds like the GOTY will come down to RDR and ME2.
if it goes to RDR then i call total bullshit. jeff is clearly not a huge fan of that game nor was he totally a fan of giving uncharted 2 goty last year. he defended batman to the very end and basically gave up trying to argue with ryan who was REALLY grasping at the bottom of the barrel for nitpicky things to blow out of proportion.

Rabbitwork said:
if it goes to RDR then i call total bullshit. jeff is clearly not a huge fan of that game nor was he totally a fan of giving uncharted 2 goty last year. he defended batman to the very end and basically gave up trying to argue with ryan who was REALLY grasping at the bottom of the barrel for nitpicky things to blow out of proportion.

Yeah, there's no way it goes to Red Dead. While Jeff and Vinny were both pushing for Batman, they still enjoyed Uncharted. They're not going to give the award to a game that one of them actively dislikes.

Helmholtz

The group seemed very positive on Bayonetta. I'm thinking it might be between that and ME2. If RDR gets goty from them it will likely be against Jeff's wishes.
I've never played Bayonetta, but between RDR and ME2 I think RDR is the better game.

MannahContana

Neo Member
From Brads twitter 'Eight-ish hours of podcasting counting breaks, pretty sure that's a new record.' Wow might crack open a few beers to listen to that monster!

cantona222

Lijik said:
You get the full bombcast, but subscribers get access to audio feeds to let them listen in on the crew 24/7.
I wake up to the sounds of Vinny sleeping every morning.

So I'm getting the full BombCast. That's good to hear.
Can you elaborate more on the 24/7 audio feed? is it only when the crew is at the office or how does that work?

hamchan

cantona222 said:
So I'm getting the full BombCast. That's good to hear.
Can you elaborate more on the 24/7 audio feed? is it only when the crew is at the office or how does that work?
No, it's 24/7 so even when they're at home.

MannahContana said:
From Brads twitter 'Eight-ish hours of podcasting counting breaks, pretty sure that's a new record.' Wow might crack open a few beers to listen to that monster!

Probably doing just like they did last year, cutting that into 5 days worth of GOTY podcasts.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't had a hysterical laughing fit from a podcast in a long time, but the story about the kids finding the money, specifically Vinny explaining how one of them bought Fable slayed me. Good stuff.

Lijik

ShockingAlberto said:
(Stop giving away our subscriber secrets, Lijik!)
Don't worry, what I said was so ludicrous, he'll never believe the actual top secret bonus for subscribers.

Curufinwe

It was really great to hear Jeff being so positive about Bayonetta, and if I had bought two copies of the Collector's Edition Guide I would send one to Giant Bomb as a Christmas present.

4453631484_1ca89edb1d.jpg

Unfortunately it's no longer in stock at UK Amazon, and it was never published in America due to some weird licensing issue.

LiK

Lijik said:
Don't worry, what I said was so ludicrous, he'll never believe the actual top secret bonus for subscribers.
I just received the subscriber exclusive life-size Vinny in green suit standee. Fucking awesome.

Rolf NB

Have to disagree with the Bethesda assertion ("market coming around to them, finally"). It's plain old salesmanship. The market didn't discover Bethesda. Bethesda discovered marketing.

It still frustrates me how they can get a free pass on everything they make, just because people like the worlds they build. I'm a mechanics kind of guy, and every interaction you can have with anything in a Bethesda game is somewhere between 5 and 20 years behind industry standards. Their games are just sloppy as fuck. Hopefully the engine switch resolves that, it's about damn time.

Xater

Great podcast except for the DMC talk. They always fail to see the great combat in this series and when they talk about Ninja Theory taking over it's about the story. I don't give a fuck about the story, I like my crazy DMC games and Ninja Theory can't do combat. They have already proven that twice.

LCfiner

Rolf NB said:
Have to disagree with the Bethesda assertion ("market coming around to them, finally"). It's plain old salesmanship. The market didn't discover Bethesda. Bethesda discovered marketing.

It still frustrates me how they can get a free pass on everything they make, just because people like the worlds they build. I'm a mechanics kind of guy, and every interaction you can have with anything in a Bethesda game is somewhere between 5 and 20 years behind industry standards. Their games are just sloppy as fuck. Hopefully the engine switch resolves that, it's about damn time.

they only get the free pass from people who value world building, freedom and lore over mechanics :)

and, even then, the folks who enjoy all those things can still give bethesda a hard time. Look at all the Oblivion criticism (or backlash) from morrowind players.

their games are not immune to criticism.

Jex

Great podcast all around, always a pleasure to have Jeff Green on the cast as well.

It also warmed my cockles to hear that several months since the original "Bayonetta is sexist" discussion it seems that people have come to a more reasonable opinion on the matter (e.g. one I agree with!)

Top Bottom