• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girls - Season 4 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that was a load of crap...

I'm rather disappointed in the season as a whole. Felt more like filler than anything. Except for the flashes of levity by Elijah, Mimi-Rose, Desi, and the water birth, everything else kind of just happened.

The character arcs were all over the place.

I guess this is how life is, eh? Shit just happens, people have to adapt.

Grenchel

You have all these characters in pivotal moments of their life, and we only time jump to see Hanna is in a new relationship? What? Lol

Yeah, I made the mistake of watching this right after tonight's Shameless.

The gap in quality was staggering. Shameless manages to be outrageous but still fundamentally make sense, something Girls seems unable to accomplish. That time jump at the end for like 30 seconds of footage just so Hannah can get her man? Total fucking amateur hour.

Yeah, that time jump really bothered me. What was the point? What an absolutely shitty way to end the season.

You have all these characters in pivotal moments of their life, and we only time jump to see Hanna is in a new relationship? What? Lol

Yeah, that time jump really bothered me. What was the point? What an absolutely shitty way to end the season.

it sounds like they'd only figured out Hannah's story for next season and didn't have a solid plan for the rest.

which is pretty much exactly what you'd expect from Lena really

It didn't bother me nearly as much. For better or worse, the show does revolve around Hannah. For four seasons we've seen her make one stupid decision after another, and this season ended with her finally making...a good one? The jump reinforces her decision and suggests that she might have actually grown a little, maybe against audience expectations, and provides a small amount of closure on that particular moment in her life this season while simultaneously setting up the next one. I'm not sure why you'd expect them to cut to everybody else in the time jump, when they all already achieved varying degrees of closure. Using a time jump to end one season and revisiting/catching up with the characters in the next is a little bit of an overused device, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a shitty move.

I still don't understand if we, as an audience, are meant to feel sorry for these characters 'struggles' or is everyone self aware of how pathetic it is.

That's my big problem with the show as well. Things like the scene with Hannah's parents, or the whole home birth/carrying someone in labor down the street come off like something from an episode of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia but I feel like Dunham and co. think they're making a show filled with characters you're supposed to (at least somewhat) empathize with.

It really doesn't work for me at all.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
oh @ everyone shitting on the show
I've loved this season, so much more than the last few

The time jump was pointless though, why only show her and the new guy and nobody else?

Empty

i was really excited by this season after six seven episodes, thought it was v. strong, but it totally fizzled out near the end. a shame.

the water birth felt like it would maybe be good as a louie skit but was just embarrassing and weird and the emotional payoff felt incredibly forced. the time jump makes the whole teaching subplot feel wasted, could have done some interesting stuff there. there felt like no natural progression to the plot lines of the season for a finale. just a really odd bit of television.

DopeToast

Banned
Spike Jonze! This show does a good job with guest stars.

I liked Ray getting emotional toward Desi and about Marnie, even though Marnie is dumb and doesn't deserve Ray. Shosh is so much nicer and smarter and cooler.

Another odd season. I don't what to think, but I am glad that I watched it.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
cliffhanger for next season!!!1!1

but it ending where it did was enough of a cliffhanger
at least do it like parks and rec where you set up a scenario for more than two characters that is interesting

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
i was really excited by this season after six seven episodes, thought it was v. strong, but it totally fizzled out near the end. a shame.

I feel the same way. I thought the season started out strong but got worse as it went on. The last few episodes were still decent though.

Anyone know what the kinda nice song was playing at the end of the ep?

Carry Me by Family of the Year

Ray won me over by telling Desi exactly what we all think of him.

And then he started getting weird and defended Marnie.

Fuck Marnie. She's fucking awful, and she and Desi deserve each other.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

His spiel about Marnie honestly knocked him down a few pegs in my eyes. What kind of dude must he be if he really thinks all of those things about fucking Marnie?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member

Exactly how I felt. Adam is best male lead followed by Elijah. Desi is a real dick for bailing out over that.

BSherrod

Really didn't like how they betrayed the character Adam became over the past two seasons by making him beg to Hannah after she has not done any evolving from the selfish person she's always been. It felt like a creator loving a character (based on herself) more than loving the story you had been weaving over nine episodes. And that time jump? Fuck that. I don't think anyone wanted that or thought it made sense. What the hell has she done to deserve a happy ending anyways?

Really didn't like how they betrayed the character Adam became over the past two seasons by making him beg to Hannah after she has not done any evolving from the selfish person she's always been. It felt like a creator loving a character (based on herself) more than loving the story you had been weaving over nine episodes. And that time jump? Fuck that. I don't think anyone wanted that or thought it made sense. What the hell has she done to deserve a happy ending anyways?

she, like, grew or something. you didn't catch all of the maturing and growing she did this season?

also, yeah, ray went full fedora asshole at desi at the end there. sucks that they had to drag him through the mud to try and redeem Marnie somehow as some sort of victim in the situation, as if she didn't sign up for Desi's bullshit on her own.

this show, man, i can't wait to see how terrible the final season is. At least true blood had the decency to go full dumbass at the end and own up to it.

Dereck

Ray was on point with his personal diatribe until he started talking about Marnie, I lost him at that point. Desi and Marnie are intolerable however I liked her solo performance.

The Caroline pregnancy subplot was a little bizarre but turned out good at the end.

I didn't understand how or why the teacher ended up with Hannah, I don't cosign their relationship simply based on it being nonsensical.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Desi and Marnie are intolerable however I liked her solo performance.

Allison Williams has a fine voice, but it's really nothing special imo. I know we're supposed to suspend our disbelief, but I have a hard time believing any label would be interested in her music in real life.

The Caroline pregnancy subplot was a little bizarre but turned out good at the end.

The actress was pregnant irl, so they wrote it into the show.

Ray was on point with his personal diatribe until he started talking about Marnie, I lost him at that point. Desi and Marnie are intolerable however I liked her solo performance.

I didn't understand how or why the teacher ended up with Hannah, I don't cosign their relationship simply based on it being nonsensical.

He's a shmuck if he was into her.

He has to have some character flaw that were not seeing.

Or that Lena is hiding for next season.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished watching this season.

That was a really strong ending. The second half of the season was superb. Love, love, loved the ending.

Tsukumo

Didn't like the season much. All past seasons had at least one episode that got me completely glued: the one-day-stand with Patrick Wilson, the first season finale, and the party at Marnie's house in the Hamptons were memorable. Some of the best things this show gave away.
This time around, different story.
The grad school plot should have been pumped up more and kept going at least until the end of the season. It's like she just wanted an excuse to use the lines and the ideas she didn't use during the GQ "saga".
She made it look like she wanted all the characters back in one place for some more group action, backpaddling on the Iowa plot, but then once they got back together they were kept doing their own thing. I actually took the line Driver said in trailer for this season ("another random step in a series of random steps") as some foreshadowing of the show dropping a bit of its lightheartedness in favour of more "boring" psychological development for the characters, but apparently that was just Dunhnam covering her tracks.
Seems clear that at this point the show is really aimless and closer in structure to Louie than Sex in the city.
I'm happy Driver hasn't dropped the whole thing, but judging from the overall quality of the show atm I can see why producers took a step back from a full 13 episodes season.

Ovid

Four years after Hannah Horvath’s parents cut her off in the first episode of HBO’s “Girls,” the network has announced that Lena Dunham and the show’s other creators will be doing the same thing to their audience. The show’s sixth season, scheduled to be broadcast in 2017, will be its last, the network said.

“Lena Dunham and her brilliant collaborators, including Judd Apatow and Jenni Konner, have given HBO a signature series of rare wit and intelligence,” Michael Lombardo, the president of HBO programming said in a statement.
nytimes.com

The show has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom