• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girls - The sixth and final season - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just catching up on season five. (So I'm not reading this thread, but:) Episode two was fucking tonal perfection. When this show is good it's *really* good.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I watched this for like two seasons but there was only so much Lena Dunham frumping around her apartment in a robe, sticking cotton wool buds in her ear I could take.

It seemed like self absorbed garbage to me but then again I suppose we're all self absorbed garbage and art reflects life.

Like an unsanitized Sex in the City for the hardcore edgemaster introspective kids of today who ultimately all want the same thing. And by that I mean to talk about themselves, incessantly.
Tell us more

Dereck

ChuWFdM.gif

Like an unsanitized Sex in the City for the hardcore edgemaster introspective kids of today who ultimately all want the same thing. And by that I mean to talk about themselves, incessantly.
<3

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
"Marnie and Desi and seriously considering trying anal"

"He's not getting anything up Marnie's ass"

That was a funny episode, despite it being tonally fucked.
Seriously, the tone was all over the place. There were several big moments but none of them really landed because it felt like none of the actors were taking it seriously.

Funny episode. This season in general has been funnier than previous ones. Also it's nice to see people waking up to how dumb they all are.

Sunster

So Marnie just isn't..good. At all. Thought after last season she'd surely redeem herself. Nope.
"sick little tryst" lmaoooooooooooooo

Was the big scene with Desi supposed to be funny? To me it was pretty terrifying! I mean, I guess there could be some pitch-black humor in it, but you'd have to be pretty warped to come up with that angle. But Lena Dunham wrote the episode, so...

And here's Marnie getting between a 6'1" junkie and his stash! Smart!

All of the scenes with Jessa and Shosh's old friends were super uncomfortable, but I was glad to see Elijah sticking up for her and Shosh showing that she's grown a lot in the process. Jessa is trash, but I want her to be good. &#128557;

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I would argue yeah that the Desi scene was supposed to be funny. Me and my girlfriend laughed a few times at it.

I think the episode overall was weird, but enjoyable and I am quite surprised they threw in that plot twist/ret con for Desi. The two stories of the show were separated with one being a dark comedy, and another being a dramatic confrontation. Both of the stories have to deal with a falling out with certain characters, but entirely different.

I think this is a good season so far, and it shows through the wrapping up of plot points and confrontations between the characters. I wouldn't be surprised if Jessa ends up close to dead or try's to kill her herself or something that eventually causes a change in character.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished season five. It was hands down one of my favourite seasons of tv in a long time. God damn.

This Sunday's episode is up early (VOD, HBOGo) to avoid a conflict with the Oscars broadcast in case anyone wants to watch early.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I loved this episode. I think the show is much better when there's only a story about Hannah. Also Rihanna's "Desparado" on the flute was such a nice surprise.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That was a really good episode. One thing that's bugging me about this season so far though is that there doesn't seem to be much of a flow from episode to episode. It feels a bit more vignette-y than usual, which I'm not sure is the best choice for the final season.

Chumley

Banned
That was a really good episode. One thing that's bugging me about this season so far though is that there doesn't seem to be much of a flow from episode to episode. It feels a bit more vignette-y than usual, which I'm not sure is the best choice for the final season.

I hated the episode tbh. So far this season, including ep 3, just seems like it doesn't need to exist. Little one-offs that don't really matter or mean much, Season 5 would have been the perfect point to end it. Maybe a meaningful story thread emerges but this mostly just seems like rehashing everything we already know about these characters again.

MG310

Feels like they are going to cram any progression into one or two episodes that will be as jarring as last week's Jessa/Shosh/Desi blow-ups.

Bladenic

Hated the episode. I rarely like Hannah only episodes and for the final season, this felt ultra unnecessary. I want Shosh, Ray, Elijah, and maybe some Adam. Not fucking Hannah. And the season premiere was almost entirely Hannah centric too. Ugh.

Like usual, it's Girl And Her Occassional Friends. Not Girls.

Sunster

Hated the episode. I rarely like Hannah only episodes and for the final season, this felt ultra unnecessary. I want Shosh, Ray, Elijah, and maybe some Adam. Not fucking Hannah. And the season premiere was almost entirely Hannah centric too. Ugh.

Like usual, it's Girl And Her Occassional Friends. Not Girls.

This isn't an episode of Girls, it's a morality tale&#8212;and it's groundbreaking. For better or worse, Girls is still like nothing else on television.

From the article that was linked to me above.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Feels like they are going to cram any progression into one or two episodes that will be as jarring as last week's Jessa/Shosh/Desi blow-ups.

According to Dunham's recent WTF interview the first three episodes were weird one-offs, the middle four or five are heavily plotted / connected, and the final episodes are something special and new.

Loved episode 4 by the way. Still kind of processing it.

This was a really good episode. It succinctly captured all sides of the discussions around white men who do/are accused of this kind of thing, and keeps you guessing as to what the author characters's intentions and feelings really are. I've rarely seen the subject discussed with such nuance - even in well-written articles. It probably has Hannah's best moments as a character in the series so far, too.

Jesus, that apartment was insane.

Alastor3

first time I heard about this. From the poster in the OP, it remind me of Gilmore Girls.

What is this show about?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I've been really enjoying the episodes
I think at this point because I like the characters I don't need a central story keeping them all together

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
This was a really good episode. It succinctly captured all sides of the discussions around white men who do/are accused of this kind of thing, and keeps you guessing as to what the author characters's intentions and feelings really are. I've rarely seen the subject discussed with such nuance - even in well-written articles. It probably has Hannah's best moments as a character in the series so far, too.

Agreed...

And my wife kept going crazy about that apartment too lol

Rookje

I feel that last episode is an episode of TV you'd never see on any other show. It's so weird but so interesting.

it really was great but I knew Lena couldn't help herself and would have something pervy as fuck happen lol. Definitely one of the better bottle episodes I've seen. Up there with Fly from breaking bad.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Painful Evacuation

Hannah interviews a respected author, who gives her advice on writing and being a woman. Meanwhile, Adam abruptly leaves the set of his latest acting job, so Jessa thinks they should embark on a creative endeavor of their own; Ray is shocked by the sudden death of a regular customer at the coffee shop; and Marnie is confronted with her narcissism.

MG310

Still pushing towards the Marnie grand finale of her being distracted by her own reflection in a window and getting hit by a bus.

dcdobson

Were Adam and Jessa on drugs when they were talking to Hannah? Their speech and body movement seemed off to me.

Were Adam and Jessa on drugs when they were talking to Hannah? Their speech and body movement seemed off to me.

My wife asked the same thing when they were coming up for the movie pitch. But in the after-show/Inside Girls episode, Dunham said they were both supposedly sober.

MG310

I thought it was more along the line of children nervously asking their parents for approval to do something they know they will disagree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom