• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girls - The sixth and final season - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
Weird to do a heavily Elijah centric episode with only three to go - I guess Shoshanna is just going to show up to get back with Ray? - but it was really great. Insane chemistry with Corey Stoll. The audition was really fun.

I'm glad this show is ending because I don't think it has enough to keep going but this final season has made me realize I'll miss it. Really good last bunch of episodes.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

What Will We Do This Time About Adam?

Shoshanna helps Ray slog through his new oral-history project until a fortuitous encounter with her old boss gives their venture a much-needed boost. Meanwhile, Adam has surprising news for Hannah; and Jessa spends a day off on her own.

Bladenic

I'm SCREAMING at Shosh literally being forgotten and shoved aside for Ray to go interview geriatrics in Brooklyn with Aidy Bryant. Wtf lmao

I'm SCREAMING at Shosh literally being forgotten and shoved aside for Ray to go interview geriatrics in Brooklyn with Aidy Bryant. Wtf lmao

Oh, that girl Ray was with at first was Shosh? She was a character in the earlier seasons or something, right? I guess I should have watched the previously so I could remember who she was.

I could not love this episode more. They did such a masterful job of avoiding the stereotypical and yawn inducing relationship roles that so many other shows succumb to.

So glad to see Hannah & Adam not getting back together. The wordless scene in the cafe was one of the best scenes in the entire series. So much was said just through Hannah & Adam's eyes & tears. There was too much pain in their history for them to just forget about it and be with each other. They had both grown and moved on. Their moment together was over.

Also loved Ray's love interest. I was one of those people rooting for him & Shosh to get back together, but it was clear that they were no longer the match that they used to be. That's what I love about this show. They aren't afraid to allow their characters to change and grow. Ray, Shosh, Hannah, and Adam are all completely differently people than they were in season one. Their respective relationships aren't compatible the way they used to be.

So great to see the show continue to be unafraid to takes risks.

btrboyev

I could not love this episode more. They did such a masterful job of avoiding the stereotypical and yawn inducing relationship roles that so many other shows succumb to.

So glad to see Hannah & Adam not getting back together. The wordless scene in the cafe was one of the best scenes in the entire series. So much was said just through Hannah & Adam's eyes & tears. There was too much pain in their history for them to just forget about it and be with each other. They had both grown and moved on. Their moment together was over.

Also loved Ray's love interest. I was one of those people rooting for him & Shosh to get back together, but it was clear that they were no longer the match that they used to be. That's what I love about this show. They aren't afraid to allow their characters to change and grow. Ray, Shosh, Hannah, and Adam are all completely differently people than they were in season one. Their respective relationships aren't compatible the way they used to be.

So great to see the show continue to be unafraid to takes risks.

Nobody in show has any growth what so ever other than Ray, and even that is a huge question mark.

Everybody but Ray is still a huge self centered asshole

btrboyev

If you really believe that, you haven't been paying attention.

Show me growth in any character.

Hannah is still making childish decisions. Heard Adam say he wants to raise her baby. She fucks him. Has emotional breakdown. Typical Hannah.

Adam. Bat shit insane idea. Leads to sex, quickly and awkwardly realizes nope.

Sho. Still a stuck up rich girl

Jessa - still batshit crazy and needy. Does crazy shit when she thinks her life is out of control.

Marny - still a selfish self centered entitled person.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Show me growth in any character.

Hannah is still making childish decisions. Heard Adam say he wants to raise her baby. She fucks him. Has emotional breakdown. Typical Hannah.

Adam. Bat shit insane idea. Leads to sex, quickly and awkwardly realizes nope.

Sho. Still a stuck up rich girl

Jessa - still batshit crazy and needy. Does crazy shit when she thinks her life is out of control.

Marny - still a selfish self centered entitled person.

Are you watching this show on mute or something?

ZeroX03

Banned
I can see the argument that Jessa and Marnie have barely improved, but you've gotta be crazy to not think that Hannah hasn't taken huge strides forward. She wouldn't have realized the Adam thing was doomed within a year, let alone a day, at the start of the show.

JonnyKong

No mention of Sho in the description of the next episode on Sky. It says Hannah tries reaching out to friends, but has trouble finding Marnie.

Maybe Sho will be included at long last if Hannah reaches out for her 😁

ZeroX03

Banned
Shosh wasn't originally intended to be one of the main girls, and I think that mentality somehow managed to stay with the show throughout it's run. Even though nobody likes Marnie or Jessa more.

These last two episodes have really hit it out of the park in my mind. The arc of the friendships hasn't been the cleanest or well thought out, but I still feel some of these moments between the main cast like Adam and Hannah and Hannah and Jessa are just phenomenal. There's some some real truth about aging and going through changes in relationships there(even if the last few years the characters felt more like cartoons to me).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
These last two episodes have really hit it out of the park in my mind. The arc of the friendships hasn't been the cleanest or well thought out, but I still feel some of these moments between the main cast like Adam and Hannah and Hannah and Jessa are just phenomenal. There's some some real truth about aging and going through changes in relationships there(even if the last few years the characters felt more like cartoons to me).

I agree. Last week's Hannah + Adam scene was very well done, as was this week's bit involving Hannah and Jessa. I also really liked the "group meet" bathroom scene, with Marnie's hollow "let's all get along and be there for one another, guys! we're best friends after all!" (she said, having ignored Hannah all day for no reason) followed by Shoshanna's fabulous dismantling of their entire group dynamic. The show's depiction of the dissolution/distancing of their friendships this season is something that has resonated with me far more than I'd like to admit.

Chumley

Banned
Still think this season was almost totally incidental and didn't need to exist. The few actual developments (pregnancy) have been cliche in a way the show never was before, and Season 5 was such a perfect ending point anyway. Ray bailing on Marnie and Elijah doing his thing is sort of it, and I guess the Sosh stuff last night.

ZeroX03

Banned
I would've liked the Shosh stuff more tonight if she wasn't engaged. I mean it's been a few months since her last scenes? It's weird to me when she's doing a smart takedown of these girls at her engagement party to someone she probably barely knows. I get why they wanted a Shoshanna twist and Lena and Jenni outlined it with the AV Club but it still didn't work for me. Off screen character growth is a tough one.

Fun irony that for a show named a Girls that intentionally channeled Sex and the City, Hannah's best friend was a guy. Elijah keeps winning.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Lena Dunham has confirmed that last night's episode was the final one for Jessa and Shoshanna - neither will appear in the finale.

JonnyKong

Oh man, what a great ep, the Jessa Hannah stuff was quite emotional to watch, and I found the bathroom scene quite heartbreaking. All I ever wanted was the four of them to be spend a bit more time together as an actual foursome friendship group, but alas it was never meant to be.

Gutted to hear that it was Sho's final ep. I understand now that maybe they kept her off screen on purpose by having no storylines so that we can really feel the effect of her life changing whilst it's goes unnoticed to Hannah, but it's awful to see her very last scene was her being a bit of a bitch to her (ex) friends :(

JonnyKong

I thought for sure the show would end with a flash forward for all four characters, I guess not.

Wonder if we'll see anymore of Ray?

Bladenic

Shosh wasn't originally intended to be one of the main girls, and I think that mentality somehow managed to stay with the show throughout it's run. Even though nobody likes Marnie or Jessa more.

She wasn't? Then why was this show called Girls?

The title was never apt but now that we know 2 of the 4 won't even be in the finale, I mean, damn.

That said, the final scene this episode did get me emotional. The music was perfect.

Well that was a pretty shitty ending for Shoshanna then, I can't believe 2 of the 4 girls wont even be in the final ever episode.

:|

Wtf? How in the world?

After 5 seasons of television, you have 10 episodes left to at least try and give the 'main' characters of your show some decent closure. But nooo.

LIFE ISN'T A TV SHOW! etc etc, yea I know Lena.

Too much time wasted on shit characters while ones I cared about are ignored.

ZeroX03

Banned
Anyone expecting strong closure and big happy warm feelings, I really don't think the final episode will offer that. Lena isn't going for a traditional ending by any stretch. Whether that's a good thing or not... tastes will vary...

Ironically Elijah and Ray have probably had the clearest direction. Which makes sense, the men have always been a lot more straightforward. Even Desi was consistently the worst.

She wasn't? Then why was this show called Girls?

Because there would still be three of them? I'm not actually sure when they locked in the name. It could've been untitled at the time.

EUSTON Shoshanna wasn't supposed to be a series regular. The story was about three girls in New York, but Zosia [Mamet] put herself on tape, and everyone just fell in love with her.

ZOSIA MAMET (SHOSHANNA) I was in upstate New York shooting a movie, which was a piece of shit, and I was in the costume truck when my agent called and goes, "You got it, and they want to make you a series regular."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fe...cast-execs-overshare-show-oral-history-970777

Chumley

Banned
Anyone expecting strong closure and big happy warm feelings, I really don't think the final episode will offer that. Lena isn't going for a traditional ending by any stretch. Whether that's a good thing or not... tastes will vary...

Ironically Elijah and Ray have probably had the clearest direction. Which makes sense, the men have always been a lot more straightforward. Even Desi was consistently the worst.

Because there would still be three of them? I'm not actually sure when they locked in the name. It could've been untitled at the time.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fe...cast-execs-overshare-show-oral-history-970777

The show should have been called Hannah. Even at the beginning when it kind of looked like the focus could be evenly split among them it was obvious that it was all about Dunham, Season 6 is just more blunt about it than usual. Absolutely everyone else has been relegated off to the side in a way they never were before. All for the sake of a pregnancy plot and self-centered bitterness towards someone who she thinks stole her man.

I agree. Last week's Hannah + Adam scene was very well done, as was this week's bit involving Hannah and Jessa. I also really liked the "group meet" bathroom scene, with Marnie's hollow "let's all get along and be there for one another, guys! we're best friends after all!" (she said, having ignored Hannah all day for no reason) followed by Shoshanna's fabulous dismantling of their entire group dynamic. The show's depiction of the dissolution/distancing of their friendships this season is something that has resonated with me far more than I'd like to admit.
It's something that has been the underpinning of the show for the last few seasons, and one of the stronger and most relatable things that they show has done. Glad to see it take center stage in the final season.

Bladenic

The reason why I don't really think the whole "Shosh wasn't around because we were trying to make it seem like she really distanced herself" worked is because the 4 girls often had scenes and lines apart anyway, with plenty of episodes going by where they didn't spend a lick of time together. And frankly Marnie being at Shosh's engagement party hardly made sense, Shosh wouldn't have invited any of them except Ray (and I guess Elijah).

Futureman

Why does everyone here seem to have a Shosanna boner? My GF and watched the entire series in a few weeks and while she's funny/quirky I'm not really attached to her character at all.

Also fuck this show for saying "Mysteries of Pittsburgh" is merely OK. edit: though I guess this could be a comment on this guy being a douche with no taste after he acts like a douche when he realizes Hannah is pregnant.

Overall I really like this show though.

One thing I've noticed talking to people in real life though is that most people hate this show.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Variety - Variety TV Critics Discuss the Legacy and Impact of ‘Girls’ (Part 1)

Mo Ryan: In any event, over the years, I kind of wandered away from writing about “Girls,” partly because TV kept on throwing hundreds of new shows at us. But the main reason I didn’t write about the show was that, for long stretches, it was very hard to tell where the criticism of the show began and where the coverage of and cruelty toward Lena Dunham ended.

Don’t get me wrong: Dunham is a grown-up who got a bunch of money from HBO to make a TV show, and along with that kind of gig comes public scrutiny. That’s normal. But so much of the writing about “Girls,” whether from critics, reporters or the public at large, was abnormal.

Sonia Saraiya: I’ve come around to thinking that while Dunham is provocative, she’s often provocative in the best way. I certainly have had trouble seeing it in the past. But for someone who considers themselves relatively open-minded, it was astounding how often “Girls” managed to get under my skin — challenging assumptions I have about my own work, my own body, my own relationship to privilege. Her use of nudity has made me examine my own prejudices about women’s bodies on television, even as I roll my eyes at yet another scene where Hannah is improbably nude in front of several friends and relatives.

Ryan: I don’t think Hannah was meant to stand for anyone but herself. She was a voice of a generation, not the voice of a generation, though to read the coverage of the show, you’d think that distinction didn’t matter. But given how few people under 30 get to make TV shows at prestige outlets — and how few women had gotten to make TV shows anywhere by the time 2012 rolled around — I can understand why “Girls” ended up being not just a phenomenon, but an array of litmus tests about a whole array of subjects (white women, women’s bodies, white feminism, Brooklyn, dating, millennials, and so much more).

[...]

But when it came to those conversations around the show, allow me one rant: Anyone who tried to make the case that Dunham was the beneficiary of nepotism — and utterly failed to cite the hundreds of other cases of nepotism and privileged access at a dozen other prestige outlets — please, retroactively, feel free to launch yourself into the sun.

Saraiya: One of the things I find most off-putting about “Girls” is its actual comedy but it worked for me kind of despite itself. I’ve never watched so many episodes of something that has actively repelled me quite so much. And yet I watched every episode of “Girls,” and most of the time, I thought about them, too. Jury is still out, for me, on whether or not that was a type of narcissism — they’re just like me, but on TV! — or a true appreciation of the form. I think Dunham knew something about me that I didn’t know myself, though: Something about being annoyed, week-to-week, kept me engaged in the show’s narratives.

Much more at the link.

Snagret

The show should have been called Hannah. Even at the beginning when it kind of looked like the focus could be evenly split among them it was obvious that it was all about Dunham, Season 6 is just more blunt about it than usual. Absolutely everyone else has been relegated off to the side in a way they never were before. All for the sake of a pregnancy plot and self-centered bitterness towards someone who she thinks stole her man.
I actually just watched the entire series for the first time over the last few weeks (not realizing that I was catching up to the series finale, but that's beside the point), I was surprised how much the show primarily was about Hannah, and how peripheral her relationship to the other girls in the show is. Not that it really bothered me, but going in my expectations for the show were that it would be similar to Sex and the City, where the show constantly revolved around the friendships of the women. As an exploration of the isolation one can feel by forcing themselves to maintain dysfunctional friendships I thought it worked, even if the show has (from my impression) only mostly conscious of this theme during this last season.

But I feel like Hannah and The Girls have always had a very cold, somrwhat selfish attachment to each other and the trajectory of their relationship actually comes across as really genuine to me. A lot of the aspects of the show have taken me by surprise, but the effectiveness of this last season in particular has really hit me. I think the show has a lot of flaws and I wouldn't say I really like most of the characters in it, but I rarely find myself actively disliking any individual episode and there's something affecting about the series taken as a whole that has really made a strong impression on me.

In a weird way, I find myself sort of missing these characters that the show spent six seasons establishing as pretty terrible people. I think part of what makes it work is I never felt like the show was trying too hard to convince me to like anybody I didn't want to, thanks a lot to the overall lack of schmaltz and somewhat cold tone of the show. It can be a little flat sometimes because of it, but when it actually does make an impression it does so pretty strongly.

NYR

I powered through season 6 on HBO GO the last few days and just watched the finale. It was terrible. I can't believe the episode only featured 3 characters, not including the baby, and only 2 of the 4 main.

KingKong

Kind of surprised at the reactions, I came here to say how much I enjoyed the episode. I thought it was one of Dunhams best

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Lena Dunham And Jenni Konner On The End of ‘Girls’

Why did you want Hannah to be pregnant at the end?

Dunham: Honestly, it was probably from an early reading of The Heidi Chronicles, if I really have to examine it. But it felt to me, always, like there was some kind of maturation that wasn’t going to come necessarily from work or a romantic relationship that was going to find Hannah. It felt like it was part of the grande lineage of a certain kind of writing, once again pointing to The Heidi Chronicles. You have a woman who hasn’t been able to figure out these certain areas of her life, yet still takes on this incredible challenge is something that’s really appealing and it also doesn’t have to be neat and tidy. A pregnancy is only tidy and rom-com-ready if you let it be that way but it’s actually the messiest thing in the world, and so it gave us so much for other characters to respond to and it gave us such a clear insight into her fears and where she situates herself.

Konner: I also think that, there’s been so much of like, are Hannah’s stakes real? How high are they really? The job, the boyfriend, whatever. And all of a sudden, it’s something you can’t take back. You can’t quit that job. And so it’s putting Hannah into her first super grown-up situation.

Was there ever a point where the two of you and Judd considered the idea that Hannah and Adam might actually get back together for real?

Dunham: No, we really didn’t. From the second season we were like, “I can’t believe everybody thinks they’re supposed to be together. Is it not clear to everybody else that this is a really, really bad idea?” That these people have mostly caused each other (pain). I mean every relationship that you’re obsessive about has it’s moments, and it’s actually because of that weird mix of bitterness and connection. But the fact is is that they were always hurting each other and we also just never felt that Hannah’s end was like, “I finally got the guy who was my fuck buddy when I was 23!” That doesn’t feel super self-actualized, so it would be funny because the audience would be like, “Hanna and Adam are my one true pair, that’s my platonic ideal of love,” and I would be like, “I want to get together with you and talk this trough with you.”

Would you say Marnie is the most understood character on the show by the audience, or is it someone else?

Dunham: Allison does tell me she gets a lot of people being like, “I hate you, you’re the worst, I hate to look at you.” But the reason people have such a passionate response to Marnie is because like, we all have a terrible fear of being the Marnie, which is the person who thinks they’re doing the loving thing, thinks they’re doing the helpful thing and is actually isolating the people around us. And I think you would be hard pressed to find somebody who didn’t have a secret and terrifying sense that that was themselves.

Konner: I definitely have never thought I was the Marnie, but I don’t want to break your vision.

Dunham: Actually, you know what, you would be the one person who I think would not have that. Okay, here’s how I’ll phrase it, and you may disagree with this. A big fear for me, and I think for a lot of people I know, but maybe not Jenni cause she’s no fool, is there being just a massive gap between how you see yourself and how other people see you. It’s uncomfortable to watch.

Konner: Right. But Hannah has that too.

Dunham: Hannah does, but she’s also just like, when she finds out how people see her, she’s like, “Cool!” She doesn’t care. If Marnie were to find out what the audience thinks about Marnie, there might actually be a suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom