• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girls - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbuktu

That play was kind of awesome. What a neat idea. Do they really have things like that in real life or was it just made up for the show? Either way, it was cool.

But yeah, that was a great episode. It was probably the funniest of the season, and yet it also had several emotionally resonant moments as well.

Went to on in London called the Drowned Man a couple of years ago which was also by Punchdrunk who do plays like this.

Thought the ending was good, best for Girls in a while.

Timbuktu

I can't be the only one who thinks Fran is a bit of a dick?

I was worried that they would make him out to be the bad guy when he did the 'don't interrupt me' bit, but then Hannah was also insufferable. I don't really it working tbh, he was more a liferaft at the end for her.

Yeah, I don't want to come off as excusing Hannah's behaviour, but Fran this episode...he just rubbed me the wrong way.

Even though he was somewhat justified in his behaviour, still annoyed the hell out of me.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Homeward Bound

Hannah's summer road trip ends abruptly, so Ray comes to her rescue, but their trip back to New York is anything but ordinary. Meanwhile, Adam visits Laird's apartment when he's worried about his sister; Shoshanna tries to settle back into life in the U.S.; and Marnie finds there are rules to her relationship with Desi.

MG310

Feels like everyone is going to get sent back to Season 2 or so status.

Excited for Shosh x Ray vs. helvetica next week

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Hannah truly is a cunt
fucks over fran, then gets ray to drive over an hour to come get her, literally fucks him over then leaves him on the side of the fucking road
food fucking grief

I thought this episode was fantastic. It was really funny, and each girl was probably at her absolute worst(except Marnie, she had a whole ep).

"Why do you need more help than a baby?"

Dereck

EzioTBo.gif

She mad

ZeroX03

Banned
Marnie keeps winning it seems, all the girls were acting awfully this week but she was justified. Desi is awful.

Love Ray and Adam acting like adults again.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Tonight's episode was odd, a bit of a return to characters acting pretty immature, which there hasn't been a ton of this season.

Yeah, I thought Hannah had been showing signs of growth this season but then she Sharon Stone'd her boss and acted like an absolute child when it came to breaking up with Fran. She's been acting almost like a caricature of herself these last few episodes.

ZeroX03

Banned
I see no lies. It's a show full of the worst people. Except Ray, Ray seems like a decent dude.

He does need to expand his social circle beyond a bunch of 20 somethings though. He's the most adult because he's got a decade of cynicism on them.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The one hour finale is tonight!

Love Stories

Hannah runs into Tally after delivering surprising news to Principal Toby. Meanwhile, Marnie's disturbing dream makes her wonder if she should reconcile with Desi; Shoshanna tries to give Ray's struggling business a boost by doing research on the opposition; and Elijah challenges Dill on the status of their relationship.

I Love You Baby

In the Season 5 finale, Hannah preps for a story slam with help from Elijah and her mother; Marnie gets ready to go on tour with Desi; Shoshanna launches her new business plan for Ray's; and Jessa and Adam have a no-holds-barred brawl for the ages.

Dereck

Jenny Slate just appeared and she's usually on a lot of shows so I can't recall if she's been on this show before.

Puppen

Banned
I thought that finale sucked. I liked the season a lot but ending it with an overwhelming focus on Hannah's self development was boring and self indulgent, and creating a massive fight between Jessa and Adam over her just makes it look like Hannah's narcissism is validated. That she actually is at the center of the universe, and Jessa and Adam don't have identities of their own. Marnie and Ray also came from nowhere, though I suspect she's using him for some kind of sociopathic purpose. As bad as Hannah is she's 10 times worse. Elijah's plot was the only really strong one, his relationship ending in a sad yet realistic fashion. Even a lot of typical people see relationships as mathematical equations like Corey Stoll's character does.

Blastoise

Banned
I was hoping Hannah would jump off the bridge in the last scene.

Season 5 was pretty weak. Nowhere near the quality of 1 and 2. Show took a real dive.

BSherrod

I thought that finale sucked. I liked the season a lot but ending it with an overwhelming focus on Hannah's self development was boring and self indulgent, and creating a massive fight between Jessa and Adam over her just makes it look like Hannah's narcissism is validated. That she actually is at the center of the universe, and Jessa and Adam don't have identities of their own. Marnie and Ray also came from nowhere, though I suspect she's using him for some kind of sociopathic purpose. As bad as Hannah is she's 10 times worse. Elijah's plot was the only really strong one, his relationship ending in a sad yet realistic fashion. Even a lot of typical people see relationships as mathematical equations like Corey Stoll's character does.
When they did the freeze frame at the end all I could do was shake my head. Hannah doesn't deserve to be happy, I don't think anyone out here is really rooting for her. They really boiled down some good episodes this season to somehow decide Hannah was in the right after a first half where everyone made pretty logical decisions for the most per and progressed. Still was entertained, but that was just dumb to me. Feels like Lena Dunham is projecting onto the character again, just like the end of last year when she ended up with Fran.

Empty

v good season but agree that was an excruciatingly shit finale

there's absolutely no way i buy that jessa gives even the tiniest shit about hannah outside of mild public awkwardness, there's nothing about their friendship that suggests anything more than casual acquaintance maybe blended with nostalgic fondness but hardly some vital and intractable emotional connection. then of course it ends with the stupidest relationship drama cliche of oh we're arguing intensely ahhh but now we're fucking intensely xxx, via a truly cringey shining reference. all to validate a wholly contrived gotcha of, ah you thought hannah was a garbage baby draining life from everyone around her but actually she was just experiencing normal life jealousy and complicated feelings towards her ex. from being massively possessive towards a guy she hadn't dated in years while she was in a relationship. okay. then shortcut character development and make her finally get over it and wooho freezeframe a smile it's like planes trains and automobiles. so beautiful and profound ~

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
there's absolutely no way i buy that jessa gives even the tiniest shit about hannah outside of mild public awkwardness, there's nothing about their friendship that suggests anything more than casual acquaintance maybe blended with nostalgic fondness but hardly some vital and intractable emotional connection.

That's what I kept thinking - Hannah thinks that Jessa is her best friend? Surely she means Marnie? I could understand why Jessa would consider Hannah her best friend since she's not at all close with her own sister, Marnie, or Shosh, and clearly doesn't even like Adam all that much (I don't think she's ever interacted with Ray?), but even then it's more of a "best friend in name only" sort of thing.

WTF that was the finale? I didn't even realize it. Anyway Marnie looked gorgeous and I'm happy for Ray. I'm shipping them so I hope it works out.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Blah. Hannah continues to be the worst person ever, but she's rewarded for it. It's so nice that she got to leave the school her way instead of being fired with extreme prejudice.

Fran claiming to love her? Fran still wanting that relationship to somehow work? If that character ever made sense in the first place, this would be some wild character assassination. Their entire thing was the most senseless, contrived situation the show has ever done.

Jessa still pretending Hannah comes first. Their best friendship has been bullshit for what, four seasons? But somehow it's all Adam's fault that there are problems there. Uh huh.

Ray abandons his coffee shop during its rebranding (and his community responsibilities?) to travel around as Marnie's gopher/bitch/weapon against Desi. How great.

gdt

Great finale. That was a wonderful final scene montage and still. Could've just ended the show there.....at least for Hannah. Ray being a dummy for Marnie has never made sense...but I guess thats the point.

Jessa with that pit hair...damn son.

Sunster

Ray playing the boyfriend and banging on the door screaming about open toed shoes was the highlight of the episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom