• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godmode game bug discovered for diablo 3

Harlock

You cannot play offline at the current state because in hard difficult setting you need farming gold to buy itens that you need to progress to the next current level.

Pimpbaa

Didn`t Diablo 3 already get hacked so we can host our own servers? I don't think a lot of reworking would need to done.

It'd be like running a hacked WoW server. They don't have blizzards code, so the would have to recreate everying that is server side.

Dezcom

And the Deponia Demo cancelled all the folders in my Start Menu when I uninstalled it.

It's shit like this that make you doubt of abandoning consoles.

Pool of Radiance also formatted your drive when you tried to uninstall it. Still can't believe that game got all the way onto store shelves with that.

Didn`t Diablo 3 already get hacked so we can host our own servers? I don't think a lot of reworking would need to done.

Either way, I thought about reinstalling the game then I remember why I quit in the first place. Bad loot is still bad loot.

It did, but the RNG is Blizzard side, so itemization doesn't work great. I heard that someone is trying to implement the D2 loot and tables into the hacked version. It's all conjecture at this point, though.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
That said... I know people who have placed random facebook games for hundreds of hours. Don't discount the clever tricks developers use to keep people playing, especially in loot whore games.

Yes, you found people who've played random free games integrated into their online social schedule, but what of it? We're talking about a $50-60 game standing on its own that's bought and played by millions of people. Not the same context or scale at all.

It's a lootwhore game with mechanics specifically designed to make you play for hours before you get to the real meat of the game. It's not unreasonable to call it an average game after 50+ hours.

So? Lootwhore game or not, it won't be played by many people for tens of hours on end if it's fundamentally bad. Right now people are saying that player count is dropping like a stone because they've stopped playing and their friends have stopped playing, but we have no actual data, not to mention enough hindsight. Don't act like making an addictive lootwhore game is simple. It's not, that's why there's like one real contender to Diablo, and it remains to be seen whether it has any sort of longevity to it. Which by the way remains to be seen for D3 as well, but people have been acting like 3 months is enough to declare the game dead. For now I'd say the anecdotes of people 'quitting' are normal because we're all early adopters. We're the people who've played the game for hours on end these past few months. It's only logical that many of us would start to become bored. You won't have me believe that tales of people playing D2 non stop for the last 10 years were commonplace. Out of the 10+ millions of people who've bought D2, only a fraction of a fraction have done that.

The cynicism over a bug that 1) will be fixed quickly enough that people will have forgotten about it in a matter of weeks or months (and I guess years for the most bitter), 2) isn't even that serious considering this game is NOT an MMO, doesn't have to be played competitively (or even multiplayer for that matter) to be enjoyed, and only concerns one class at a high level, is simply ludicrous. There's a godmode bug for lvl 60 wizards that's soon gonna be hotfixed? Big whoop.

Ploid 3.0

No it hasn't, and neither has the unidentified item exploit.

Seems like they are going to wait for the usual maintenance period.

Being fixed now. Surprise maintenance :( I had fun at least. With up to 350 MF I still got crap mainly. I was killing fast enough, left the trash level rares, and all blues on the floor. One legendary. The loot in this game is pretty bleh. Nothing exciting.

I think the fact that the game is completely average is why people are loling at the exploits. If they spent 12 years developing a 7/10 game, with a very unpopular online system, pretty bland and basic art, and on top of this has bugs, wtf where they doing for those 12 years?

You're assuming incorrectly they worked on it for 12 continuous years. This isn't a Duke Nukem Forever scenario. D3 was started shortly after D2, then Blizzard North disbanded. A long period of time passed when D3 was not worked on at all because of WoW. Then the D3 project was restarted from scratch some time ago, naturally Blizzard won't say specifically when.

Shads

I'm at work, too, but a friend told me that Blizzard sent a server message saying they will reset servers at 7:20 PM PST for patching.

EU Servers have been shutdown now. I assume it's being fixed right now. Don't know anything about that item exploit.

I'll definitly would stay a while and listen to more about that...

Deadly

No it hasn't, and neither has the unidentified item exploit.

Seems like they are going to wait for the usual maintenance period.
If I understand correctly, I'd barely call that one an "exploit". Not everyone buys/sells unid items.

GJS

If I understand correctly, I'd barely call that one an "exploit". Not everyone buys/sells unid items.

It's still not something that should happen.

If they are going to allow trading of unidentified items, then you shouldn't be able to see what affixes it has rolled before identifying it.

What

WHAT

SPILL THE BEANS MAN
There is a program on github/code.google.com which tells you the affixes an item has rolled when you copy and paste the item code into it, it also gives you the identified item code which you can paste into chat to see the values.

The public program is recent so it's only just come to light as an issue for people, but you could do it by hand since the game launched. So people can take all the good roll items and sell all the crap rolls in unid sales, when those sales aren't supposed to be rigged.

Ploid 3.0

Wasn't fixed ha. Also after doing the trick you can change your skills to whatever you want. You don't need Teleport, or Archon after.

Welp Inferno down, and now I can for some reason feel better about never playing that game again.

Will be interesting to see if my battle.net account gets banned.

Ploid 3.0

doesnt work anymore after the server restarts.

glad i got everything in while it lasted :p

Europe?

Another server shutdown for the US, maybe they forgot something. I wasn't getting much anyway. I know that I don't want to farm to try to get something good again. If I can't get anything with 350+ MF fast kills, and god mode I'd drive myself insane before I finally get something better than today.

So? Lootwhore game or not, it won't be played by many people for tens of hours on end if it's fundamentally bad. Right now people are saying that player count is dropping like a stone because they've stopped playing and their friends have stopped playing, but we have no actual data, not to mention enough hindsight. Don't act like making an addictive lootwhore game is simple. It's not, that's why there's like one real contender to Diablo, and it remains to be seen whether it has any sort of longevity to it. Which by the way remains to be seen for D3 as well, but people have been acting like 3 months is enough to declare the game dead. For now I'd say the anecdotes of people 'quitting' are normal because we're all early adopters. We're the people who've played the game for hours on end these past few months. It's only logical that many of us would start to become bored. You won't have me believe that tales of people playing D2 non stop for the last 10 years were commonplace. Out of the 10+ millions of people who've bought D2, only a fraction of a fraction have done that.

The cynicism over a bug that 1) will be fixed quickly enough that people will have forgotten about it in a matter of weeks or months (and I guess years for the most bitter), 2) isn't even that serious considering this game is NOT an MMO, doesn't have to be played competitively (or even multiplayer for that matter) to be enjoyed, and only concerns one class at a high level, is simply ludicrous. There's a godmode bug for lvl 60 wizards that's soon gonna be hotfixed? Big whoop.

Some games can be gauged from the beginning if they are fundamentally flawed, but a game like Diablo 3 doesn't show these flaws until late game. The reason is because most the mechanics/design behind the game don't come to fruition until inferno/level 60.

There are glaring fundamental flaws, such as lack of characters diversity, no drive/competition, market being driven by GAH,RMAH and what really destroys the game HORRIBLE LOOT TABLE. I have to yell that out because the game lacks creativity with loot. That most classes go two ways with their gear. Either AR, Vit, LoH, Pri Stat or Crit DMG/Crit CHN, Pri Stat, what else you can afford.

As you level you are unlocking skills, gaining new spells, gaining access to new stats, so why would I see the fundamental flaws. It really is the prefect guise, so 40-50 hours go by before you see for what an premie of game D3 really is.

We have no raw numbers as to how Diablo 3 is doing, and Blizzard did state over 100k on during any given time. But out of 6+ million, is between 4% to 10%. So when we look at the Xfire chart which only shows a trend http://beta.xfire.com/games/d3. It is a pretty good sample size. Toppled with the number of public games going from 30k week of release to 3k now, to me I would find it hard not believe otherwise that the game is dying.

My bro has a 60 wizard and thought about trying out the game, but first would have to install the game, then it hit me. The loot is still trash so why bother?

I don't get it. We get an online only game that players supported because it would be used to "protect the integrity of the auction house", and yet I see people dismayed that an exploit is being patched?

Seems pretty damn schizophrenic.

BigDug13

I don't get it. We get an online only game that players supported because it would be used to "protect the integrity of the auction house", and yet I see people dismayed that an exploit is being patched?

There aren't too many games where you can openly profit from with real money. There is a segment of the playerbase that is flipping items, buying gold, and making hundreds of dollars. So there's a "protect the integrity" playerbase and an "all about the Benjamins" playerbase.

There aren't too many games where you can openly profit from with real money. There is a segment of the playerbase that is flipping items, buying gold, and making hundreds of dollars. So there's a "protect the integrity" playerbase and an "all about the Benjamins" playerbase.
Sounds about right. With the third "just have fun" segment caught in the middle of all this nonsense.

Ploid 3.0

I think this post from the Blizz thread put the experience felt nicely.

God mode was the most fun I've had on here in weeks. The game felt social, we had a group of 4 wizards clearing act4 for laughs, it didn't matter one JUST got to inferno and didn't have dps, we just had fun, and rofl stomped act4, something that I'd never normally due to the cheap mechanics and lack of a reward over act3.

To anyone else that tried it... I think this illustrates whats wrong with Diablo 3, not only did I not find anyhting of value over my standard act1/2 runs but I also saw how the insane cheap mechanics of act3/4 are actually killing the game. I find so much conflicting statements from Jay Wilson Q&A sessions, for example:

"We didn't allow legendaries to spawn below your level because we got feedback it was a poor user experiance" (when asked on why low level legendaries dont drop like in d2)

Yet, they have no problem spoon feeding me level 52 weapons in act4 inferno.....

Anyway, its a shame they fixed it because not only did the game feel social, but I actually had fun.

For the record, I didn't even post a single thing on the AH, cause frankly... it was all crap.

The god mode made the game fun again for a bit. I say again because before inferno I was unlocking runes and abilities. I had something to look forward to in time, lately I've just been playing boring stuff with hopes of getting something. I admit I was trying to see if good gear would drop mostly. It's a loot game, well it was supposed to be. I have all classes at 60 but monk. the two ok items I got were a 1004 or something like that, 2h xbow with a few dex and a slot. My DH will use it as I sold it's xbow that had 25 ias right before the ias nerf. Then there's a legendary pair of gloves, small amount of loh, life%, 8% crit chance, 10ish MF. It looked ok for my barb, I remember thinking it could barely replace the item I currently use on it (no str, or vit though). All the other stuff was like mangled up twisted paper. Some life regen here, some lonesome stat there, dex int physical resist on this, vit 160 health globe heal on that. I was almost upgrading over time, felt like my classes were probably going to progress.

It showed me that there's no way I'm farming again. I couldn't find decent stuff farming for hours with 350+ MF in act 3 and 4. There's no way I'm going back to my act 1 auto pilot farms while listening to pod casts to stay awake. My barb was reduced to a full max MF wherever I could get it barb. Now I'll lose the MF and just beat stuff up, though I dont know if I'd be willing to play again. Giving up on WD thats for sure. I should start selling off it's gear and the MF stuff.

Also they patched this lightning fast while WD's still have no idea how they are going to make their pets work for inferno. Some WD's found work arounds apparently (CC build, which turned into tank doctor with plague of frogs). When players have the upper hand it's fixed fast, when monsters have the upper hand it's expected. Like their list of abilities that they allow elites to have. CC / Defensive / aggressive. They list Frost, Jailer, and Waller as aggressive. Diablo can hit through smoke screen (dot, random glitch), and more, a lot more.

The risk reward system of D3 is just too broken right now. I think the wizard exploit opened up a lot of eyes, that farming Act 3 is just as bad as farming Act 1. There is no more incentive for people to play.

"The funny thing is it was actually kind of fun and cathartic being able stand there and give it right back to ridiculously overpowered and !@#$ing cheap champions and elites for a change.

If only the game were ever that enjoyable while still retaining some sort of challenge instead of being so one-sided in your enemies' favor throughout Inferno."

This is a good one too.
I got to actually use skills on my wizard that I wanted to use, not that I was forced to use.

Invulnerability aside, it was fun not having to play critical mass or kite all day. Kinda how I'd expect to feel in 10s of millions worth of gear.

I'm too used to critical mass build. I changed to try some other stuff but I just went back because I didn't have the gear for it at that moment.

I think this post from the Blizz thread put the experience felt nicely.
Or as one post I read put it - in these games you're supposed to start off weak and become strong, but the way Diablo 3 is designed you start off strong and become weak.

I can see how an invulnerability exploit could lead to some fun times.

Ploid 3.0

Yesterday was a perfect send off for some. The reward of having a 60 wizard. A guy I was playing with said it reminded him of Diablo. He was powerful, and things was afraid of him.

I wonder how pvp will turn out.

Rapstah

No youtube at work... is this really a new one or just trolls? For barb please?

It's for barb, and not really invulnerability. If you charge into a cut scene, the rune you have applied to the charge gets applied to all your attacks when the cut scene ends, apparently indefinitely until you die. In the video he's using the 8% health on hit rune giving him insane regen. He also suggests the stun rune although he hasn't tried it.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Some games can be gauged from the beginning if they are fundamentally flawed, but a game like Diablo 3 doesn't show these flaws until late game. The reason is because most the mechanics/design behind the game don't come to fruition until inferno/level 60.

There are glaring fundamental flaws, such as lack of characters diversity, no drive/competition, market being driven by GAH,RMAH and what really destroys the game HORRIBLE LOOT TABLE. I have to yell that out because the game lacks creativity with loot. That most classes go two ways with their gear. Either AR, Vit, LoH, Pri Stat or Crit DMG/Crit CHN, Pri Stat, what else you can afford.

As you level you are unlocking skills, gaining new spells, gaining access to new stats, so why would I see the fundamental flaws. It really is the prefect guise, so 40-50 hours go by before you see for what an premie of game D3 really is.

We have no raw numbers as to how Diablo 3 is doing, and Blizzard did state over 100k on during any given time. But out of 6+ million, is between 4% to 10%. So when we look at the Xfire chart which only shows a trend http://beta.xfire.com/games/d3. It is a pretty good sample size. Toppled with the number of public games going from 30k week of release to 3k now, to me I would find it hard not believe otherwise that the game is dying.

My bro has a 60 wizard and thought about trying out the game, but first would have to install the game, then it hit me. The loot is still trash so why bother?

Of course there are flaws in the game, and most of them are related to the end game, nobody denies that. Some of them are quite baffling too, like the shitty legendaries. As I've stated, I myself have stopped playing for now (after around 140 hours with my wizard) but I'm eagerly awaiting 1.0.4, especially with the upcoming changes to passive abilities, which should improve build diversity. But saying that the game is 'average' or a '7/10' when it gets more playtime than the overwhelming majority of games that aren't MMOs like the poster I previously responded to is ridiculous.

Let's not act like we can't judge the game at all before inferno. Most people out there will play normal, nightmare, maybe hell and maaaaaybe inferno, but people like us are not the majority. This might sound crazy, but it's true. When I played Diablo 2 I never went past act 3 in normal if you can believe that. From normal to hell at least, D3 is very good, and we can't just dismiss that just because the end game (i.e. inferno) is flawed.

Last point: I noticed you talked about "no competition/no drive". Drive is one thing, and I agree it lacks a powerful incentive to play after a while. But don't talk about lack of competition. This has no place in Diablo. You and other people here might be playing the game as if the point of it was to compete with other players, but it's not. It's not an MMO, it's not an eSports game, it's nothing like that. People will create meta-games out of anything, but D3 is not that at its core, not for most people. That's why PvP wasn't there at launch and is still just a side mode to the main game. The main game can be played solo from start to finish, and all multiplayer games in D3 so far are about cooperation and helping lower-leveled friends. This is not a social/competitive game. This is not World of Warcraft or Starcraft 2.

I must admit that the whole God mode thing is kinda funny to me. 'It made the game fun again for me!' I always thought that real gamers liked difficulty or something? Wasn't the point of inferno to satisfy that need for challenge? Not to say I don't understand the appeal of a god mode, as that is appealing in, well, any game (power overwhelming, right), but it gets stale even faster than any mediocre RNG you can imagine.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
One thing I do agree with though: it's true that the game has a tendency to make you feel weaker and weaker as you progress, and God mode turns that notion upside down, which is good. It would be great if Blizzard made changes to the game so that inferno players don't feel like such weaklings. I'm a windup wizard and I can't do anything in act 3 even though some of my items cost millions (granted, not tens of millions), I have 30 arcane power on crit (maxed that out) and 40%+ crit chance. It feels like I'm doing something wrong with my character even though I know my build is viable and I've been training with it for a while. It shouldn't be that way. Hopefully Blizzard takes note of that at some point.

[EDIT] Funnily enough, I can beat Ghom even though I can't survive for crap in A3. Eh.

You said a lot and I still believe my point stands when it comes to competition. Not sure if you played Diablo 2 but the ladder was pretty instrumental to keep players coming back if only for a few months per reset to see where they stand amongst their peers or if they beat their personal best.

Finaika

They wanted to keep the super awesome plot and story under wraps.

image.php

Last point: I noticed you talked about "no competition/no drive". Drive is one thing, and I agree it lacks a powerful incentive to play after a while. But don't talk about lack of competition. This has no place in Diablo. You and other people here might be playing the game as if the point of it was to compete with other players, but it's not. It's not an MMO, it's not an eSports game, it's nothing like that. People will create meta-games out of anything, but D3 is not that at its core, not for most people. That's why PvP wasn't there at launch and is still just a side mode to the main game. The main game can be played solo from start to finish, and all multiplayer games in D3 so far are about cooperation and helping lower-leveled friends. This is not a social/competitive game. This is not World of Warcraft or Starcraft 2.

I could not disagree more. Two things kept me coming back to D2 since it was released (other than good loot design, lol) : build variety, and PvP. In fact, D2's PvP was quite popular, as you'd regularly see many games go from partied boss-stomps to dueling outside of town, as well as several games titled stuff like "duelPK" and whatnot.

You might not like the idea of competitive play in Diablo 3, but it was a very strong component of the series prior to D3, and just another reminder of how out of touch Blizzard of today is with the franchise.

Cipherr

I could not disagree more. Two things kept me coming back to D2 since it was released (other than good loot design, lol) : build variety, and PvP. In fact, D2's PvP was quite popular, as you'd regularly see many games go from partied boss-stomps to dueling outside of town, as well as several games titled stuff like "duelPK" and whatnot.

You might not like the idea of competitive play in Diablo 3, but it was a very strong component of the series prior to D3, and just another reminder of how out of touch Blizzard of today is with the franchise.

Alot of that may have been the case in the past, but I think they have made it quite clear that they are changing the focus of the game. No offline, no PvP at launch, no ladder. This is sort of the same game merely in similar mechanics and name. Everything else was changed.

So this is what it looks like when they run out of goodwill. It's rather frightening. Not the attacks, but their lack of realization how important that goodwill was.

Top Bottom