• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 + iCEnhancer mod. Holy mother of god.

Darklord

Banned
giancarlo123x said:
Is this real life...

I can't tell in this picture.
EZJHI.jpg

gofreak said:
Yeah, this could motivate me to play it again. When I upgrade my rig anyway.

Same here, playing it on a dual core is horrible, once i upgrade to 8 cores i will install the game again...

Sethos

Banned
Spat_triate said:
Incorrect. It still works with 1.0.7.0, you have to use different timecyc though. My advice is to combine IceHancer with Bone's ENB settings for EFLC and 1.0.7.0. You can even edit the timecyc.dat to your own liking using EditIV v.1.28

Actually, it doesn't work correctly according to ... Everybody. Because Rockstar keeps changing the shaders with every version pretty much, so it'll never reach full potential in 1.0.7.0, lots of bugs and effects missing.

Yes, you can install it and get some shine here and there but it's not firing on all cylinders to put it nicely.

LuchaShaq

Banned
RSP said:
Just seeing the cars move around like boats makes me think why the hell the game was so well received. It controls like shit!

Maybe because how the cars handled isn't in the top dozen of the reasons why that game was fantastic?

Sethos

Banned
Gram Negative Cocci said:
FRAPS whipping gigs to the HDD can do that.

or people recording at a higher FPS than the game is actually running. I see people make that mistake all the time.

spidye

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw all the reflections and effects during night time. looked really amazing

theBishop

Banned
Goddamn, that's stunning!

I never finished the story on PS3, and I bought the Ultimate pack on Steam for $10 a few months back. Maybe it's time to revisit Liberty City....

PS: "blah blah today's graphics are good enough blah blah"

Spat_triate

Sethos said:
Actually, it doesn't work correctly according to ... Everybody. Because Rockstar keeps changing the shaders with every version pretty much, so it'll never reach full potential in 1.0.7.0, lots of bugs and effects missing.

Yes, you can install it and get some shine here and there but it's not firing on all cylinders to put it nicely.
It doesn't have 100% of the effects but that shouldn't stop people with the steam version from using it. Version 1.0.7.0 with IceHancer still looks a fuckton better than vanilla GTA IV.

DennisK4 said:
This will slaughter your framerate - if you want AA.

Not if you use FXAA :)

Jonm1010

Banned
That was just jaw dropping! Amazing!

If next gen consoles could pull something like that off I think I will be happy with game graphics for a very long time.

What impressed me most was the overcast sky setting. It always seems like a visual deathtrap for me in games. Rain, snow, nighttime, sunny mid day, sunset, sunrise all have taken my breathe away in one game or another but that's the first time I've seen someone nail the overcast and gray look to near perfection.

It looks impressive, but between this and that Crysis extreme mod these modders really oughta tone down the excessive motion blur. It looks as if the guy is speeding to work with the most debilitating hangover imaginable.

Edit: Just saw the night-time part...mother of God.

Sethos

Banned
DennisK4 said:
This will slaughter your framerate - if you want AA.

AA is pretty pointless, especially with iCEhancers config, looks like there's plenty of MLAA. There's barely in jaggies in my game with AA off and it looks fantastic. Runs pretty well too, between 30-50FPS. Admittedly it will drop below the 20-15 at some times and turning the camera constantly causes a massive drop.

Spat_triate said:
It doesn't have 100% of the effects but that shouldn't stop people with the steam version from using it. Version 1.0.7.0 with IceHancer still looks a fuckton better than vanilla GTA IV.

Forgot to mention it kills the performance in 1.0.7.0 compared to 1.0.4.0. So yes, some may settle for that ... I'd just tell people to pick up the retail version for 5-10 quid and enjoy the mod at its full potential and performance.

Dennis

Banned
AA is not pointless. With the original ENB mod you got SSAA which definitely looks better in regards to aliasing.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Crysis with Lifesis mod ran really well on my PC, and I was so impressed by the graphics. I'll be happy with a stable 30fps, if I get to play GTA 4 with this mod.

Jonm1010

Banned
woober said:
I'm starting to think the only thing missing in the GTA series is destruction.
Yeah I think that would be my ultimate dream GTA. Graphics like video with fully destructible environments. Unrealistic for next gen probably and the additional costs would probably also make it out of reach.

Dennis

Banned
I should remember to remind people of the First Person mod that allows you to play GTA IV in first person mode - very immersive.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Presumably it's not been very expensive to actually throw all this together?

The expensive part is/was still the original game production, the framework upon which these fancier effects and textures etc. are laid.

Not to sidetrack into another debate, but when people talk about the cost of using more power, stuff like this doesn't discourage me from thinking that a lot more power can yield you quite a lot of relatively cheap mileage on the visual side - via nice lighting, iq, shadowing, camera filters and blurs etc. Even if not the most efficiently implemented, just having a crap ton of power lets you be inefficient and still get (great) results.

(I know they're also using some new textures and car models here, still...)

Sethos

Banned
Oh btw, iCEnhancer 1.2.5 is apparently built specifically to be 1.0.7.0 compatible, so there's hope people :)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
lol, I can't wait for the HD ports of current gen games to next gen systems.
OMFG something like AC with this level of clarity...

classicdms

Neo Member
I saw this yesterday when Remo posted it. In a few months, I plan on investing time into making this work. I figure I should have enough machine to run it with an i7 and a 570.

DennisK4 said:
I should remember to remind people of the First Person mod that allows you to play GTA IV in first person mode - very immersive.
How playable is the First Person mod? Is there a lot of jank to suffer through? More than the usual open world jank?

Flunkie

Banned
B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
I like how GTA cars handle.
Me too. I will be really sad if the car handling is changed in GTA V. I love driving cars and playing with the amazing damage modeling.. could do it for hours.

Sethos

Banned
classicdms said:
I saw this yesterday when Remo posted it. In a few months, I plan on investing time into making this work. I figure I should have enough machine to run it with an i7 and a 570.

It's making my i7 940 at 3.8GHz, 5970 and 6GB of DDR3 cry at times.

Any chance of a knowledgeable and generous person writing up a guide on how to get these mods up and running? GTAForums is a mess to navigate through. I tried dabbling with these visual mods awhile back and it was a disaster...

How good is FXAA and will that slaughter performance like SSAA?

Sethos

Banned
Gully State said:
Any chance of a knowledgeable and generous person writing up a guide on how to get these mods up and running? GTAForums is a mess to navigate through. I tried dabbling with these visual mods awhile back and it was a disaster...

The ENB / iCEenhancer is just a copy & paste mod. Copy over the files to the GTA IV directory and you're good to go. Then there's a config file you can mess through or download other people's file.

Most texture mods are also just a copy & paste job.

Cars however are another story.

Wow, to think that the next generation of games SHOULD look like that unless the big 3 all jump on the motion control bandwagon.

Im not even a graphics guy and im blown away, I fear that something special will be lost in the artistic side of things when true photorealism is possible, but I still cant wait to see it happen. The guy who is working on this mod should probably be a full on game developer, imaging showing that mod as your showreel.

Top Bottom