• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 + iCEnhancer mod. Holy mother of god.

demolitio

Urge to try GTA4 on PC again rising...I bought it at release and couldn't get over the performance issues even after a few patches and never touched it again. Does vanilla GTA4 run a lot better now than at release? I just want some of these mods that aren't even graphic mods necessarily. I need me some beautiful cars and even the WTC towers mod is really cool and brings back memories of the old skyline.

Why the fuck don't developers support modding on PC anymore? Everything is centered around consoles and no one cares to take the time to release mod tools for PC gamers anymore when they should realize that a lot of mods are where they could get great ideas for their next game. I used to work on a lot of mods in the Battlefield franchise and DICE was always open to listening to new ideas and using some of them from the mods for the next game. Now we won't get tools for BF3 I'm sure...

I love me some mods!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
demolitio said:
Urge to try GTA4 on PC again rising...I bought it at release and couldn't get over the performance issues even after a few patches and never touched it again. Does vanilla GTA4 run a lot better now than at release?

It depends on your hardware, do you have a quadcore? With my quad/gtx460 it runs fairly well, around 40-50fps with most settings on high and 1920x1080.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
StevieP said:
Suspect all you want. I prefer reality. They will no doubt look better (and much better) but you're not getting the same leap you did with PS2->PS3 save for another $599 fiasco.

First, keep in mind that GPU tech in consoles is, for the most part, based on existing PC parts sometimes with some customization (such as adding instructions to them, bolting different types of memory, shrinks in their current incarnations etc).

Second, even the very power-hungry launch PS3 and X360 with the huge power brick drew about 200w at load in total. This is with CPU/GPU/optical drive/etc etc. Keep this in mind.

Thirdly, keep in mind that if a console is releasing a year from now (as an example), console manufacturers generally do not put stuff that is still in the conceptual stage, and will need to tape out their hardware in advance with enough time to produce and stockpile units. There are rare exceptions to this (like the PS3, with all its launch issues and exorbitant price as a result).

But the bottom line is: GPU tech has become far more expensive, power hungry and hot. This is how they've ramped up the power of GPUs. What was relatively high end in the 360 (a customized x1900) used approximately 100w at peak. Today's top-end GPUs use triple or quadruple that amount of power. Even massive die shrinks of *current mature tech* (important detail) will generally earn you only 20-30% in power savings. The top-end cards also need a heck of a lot of cooling, and easily top out 100 degrees under load with said massive cooling. Unlike the current CPU race (where tech is evolving to be more efficient at a fairly rapid pace) the GPU race is consantly relying on refreshing tech by making it draw more, bigger, faster and hotter.

With this in mind, where the "100-150w" GPUs fit in, which is what you'll be getting in your next consoles (Wii U being the possible exception, where the rumours go anywhere from 4730-type tech or 4870 type tech), is the mid-range. Whatever the midrange parts are today will be in next year's consoles. Whatever the mid-range cards of next year are, those will be going into the consoles of 2013.

The only possible exception to this will be if,
1) A console manufacturer wants to sell you another $600-700 system. And/or
2) A console manufacturer produces a console that is massive, loud as an airplane, and has a power brick the size of an airline black box.

Now with all this in mind, GTA 4 (while being an unoptimized game in general) with this mod beats the living hell out of CPUs and GPUs that are in that top bracket of power-hungry and massive hardware. In a closed system, you do have a bit of an advantage. But not one that will mitigate physics. Is that clear enough, or would you continue to prefer to dream of things that are not within the realm of reasonable possibility?

thats a good write up, thanks broski

but hasnt the advantage of console development been that you can eek the absolute most out of low end cards by programming for them specifically? even with that in mind we're not looking at anything like this mod? essentially, the cards for the next gen consoles are going to have to be from waaaaaay back when as opposed to fairly new stuff (at the time of launch) that the past gen consoles got?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I don't know why but everything is too bright for me. 6950 here. Is there solution?

demolitio

Snuggler said:
It depends on your hardware, do you have a quadcore? With my quad/gtx460 it runs fairly well, around 40-50fps with most settings on high and 1920x1080.
Yea, I have one that did alright at release but the game was very unoptimized in the beginning so I'm not sure how much better the latest patches made it.

I think I'll try it out just for the mods alone even if it's at lower settings than I want.

Jeramii

Banned
i downloaded the current version and had it running on 1.0.7.0

the brightness and contrast were a bit painful on the eyes. :| couldn't adjust them either. i'm new to gta modding so maybe i fucked something up (but i doubt it).

i uninstalled for now because it did run kinda crappy, likely because i'm on 1.0.7.0 and the readme included with the mod said it would run bad on it. neat though.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I was going to try this on the weekend but since this thread exists, Maybe i will whip out the old GTA4 discs and reinstall and update it. Hopefully i can post some results in 12hrs +.

Might give me a reason to OC my 2500k too.

PC based experiments, I like it!

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wazzim said:
I think he was joking with that sub 30 FPS part, the mod is just some Day of Time settings and a couple of extra effects added. That's not going to bring a 570 to it's knees.

I most certainly was not! This mod is quite a lot more than just a few effects.

TheNatural

My Member!
Damn I've been wanting to play some open world sandbox games lately. Something like this in the future would be nuts.

nextgeneration said:
Yup, and graphics will only continue to get better. Diminishing return in graphics = LOL. We have a long way to go before that happens.

Not to say you're wrong, because you're not, but notice how the whole demo is the camera turning side to side during the game. GTA IV was a really nice looking game when it came out, but honestly, I can say I didn't notice or care about a good 90% of the detail in the game because I was focusing on the GPS on where to go, never walking around to just look at the city, and so on. So while stuff can still look a lot better in the future, whats the point of it all if your game design doesn't take advantage of it?

I would rather have a Vice City sized map that I can manage without staring at the GPS all the time and setting waypoints, with Saints Row 2 quality graphics, and having every building in the city able to be interacted with, rather than a game look like this and be a big GTA IV city. I hope they focus their time on next gen games letting you interact with city more and have environmental damage and every building you could go in and has something unique about it, rather than putting time into making eye candy you won't even notice because of the narrow focus of the game design.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
:bow to everyone involved. That looks really nice. Open world games with crazy level of detail is what I want from next gen. Bring it console makers, don't gimp out on the specs for the love of all that made you who you are today.

I have two huge questions. And I'm asking here before I go hit Google for an hour to find out (also just because the answer will serve others).

1. Is there a good step-by-step?
2. Can some others who got this rolling post some specs (I've got a 5850/930 and I'll let you all know)?

Thanks!

TheNatural said:
Damn I've been wanting to play some open world sandbox games lately. Something like this in the future would be nuts.

Not to say you're wrong, because you're not, but notice how the whole demo is the camera turning side to side during the game. GTA IV was a really nice looking game when it came out, but honestly, I can say I didn't notice or care about a good 90% of the detail in the game because I was focusing on the GPS on where to go, never walking around to just look at the city, and so on. So while stuff can still look a lot better in the future, whats the point of it all if your game design doesn't take advantage of it? .

I disagree with you in that they did take advantage with the city by using it as multiplayer content (even though the multiplayer was a bit of a letdown thanks to the horrible lobby system) as well as the episodes (unlike say Fallout 3, they didn't have to build brand new areas to accommodate the DLC content). While I did use the GPS religiously, I didn't have a problem getting a general sense of direction without it.

mxgt

Banned
-GOUKI- said:
What was the best looking game last gen? Doom 3? Farcry? Half Life 2? I'd say many games this gen look better than those games.

Obviously, but not at the console releases in 2005/06.

Pimpbaa

Looks very nice. But I doubt we will see this quality lighting on next gen consoles. You can't just blow all your GPU usage on lighting alone especially in an open world game. Also sad that people still fail to understand what diminishing returns means.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
mavs said:
Hell yes it does! And an x1900xtx could run it at 100fps (didn't even have lcds back then.)
i just youtubed farcry running on a 5870 and i beg to differ.

i think 360 launch games looked a looooot better.

Sethos

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
far cry trumps pd0, cod2 and kameo?

I hope you aren't arguing low-res, low FPS, non-AAd, low-res texture console games are in any way a comparison to any PC games of the time?

Yeah, people wonder why they aren't in a rush to upgrade the hardware ... Most people are so blind to graphics it's crazy.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
-GOUKI- said:
What was the best looking game last gen? Doom 3? Farcry? Half Life 2? I'd say many games this gen look better than those games.
But PCs can still run them with better IQ and graphics mods. So it's hard to say.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Sethos said:
I hope you aren't arguing low-res, low FPS, non-AAd, low-res texture console games are in any way a comparison to any PC games of the time?
id definitly say that 30fps 720p pd0 is MUCH better looking than 1600x1200 (or whatever the 2004 standard was) 60fps 8xAA farcry.

IMO F.E.A.R. would be a much better game to argue the PCs side and i still think pd0 and cod2 beat it handily

Sethos

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
id definitly say that 30fps 720 pd0 is MUCH better looking than 1600x1200 (or whatever the 2004 standard was) 60fps 8xAA farcry

1308958680037.png

mavs

-COOLIO- said:
i just youtubed farcry running on a 5870 and i beg to differ.

i think 360 launch games looked a looooot better.

You're kidding. COD2 had nothing on Farcry, good thing to because it was at the limit of a 60FPS game. Kameo had a lot going on but certainly did not have the texture quality of Farcry. I never played PDZ so you'll have to explain that one.

-COOLIO- said:
id definitly say that 30fps 720p pd0 is MUCH better looking than 1600x1200 (or whatever the 2004 standard was) 60fps 8xAA farcry.

IMO F.E.A.R. would be a much better game to argue the PCs side and i still think pd0 and cod2 beat it handily
CoD2 was on PC any ways and looked better on it.

Gandie

-COOLIO- said:

Yeah, no

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
darkpaladinmfc said:
CoD2 was on PC any ways and looked better on it.
in that case, then noooow we're talking but i cant find cod 2 pc footage from that era

Sethos said:
Blind people you say? Then I'd have to agree with you sir.

and then id argue that the remaining 5% only find that pd0 looked marginally better

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Gully State said:
Perfect Dark 0
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/670/670581/perfect-dark-zero-20051123110203506.jpg[IMG]

Half Life 2
[IMG]http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/652/652491/half-life-2-20050920075724041.jpg[IMG]

Both uploaded on IGN in 2005...[/QUOTE]
i feel like there's better shots of pd0 out there

and the lost coast opening is gorgeous but you get up to the courtyard and things already start looking muddy

kameo looked better than anything on pc at the time. fact.
apart from that, there really wasn't anything notable on the 360 graphics-wise until gears of war came along
by then, the pc had already caught up, more or less

scar tissue said:
apart from that, there really wasn't anything notable on the 360 graphics-wise until gears of war came along

I think it's more a byproduct of its art direction rather than underlying tech.

mavs

scar tissue said:

Water in Kameo vs. water in Farcry. Ground textures in Kameo vs. ground textures in Farcry.

Kameo was a very busy game that showed off its lighting tech, but it was still clearly a console game. Worse graphics and still 30fps.

Oreoleo

Gram Negative Cocci said:
Isn't that Lost Coast? A tech demo?

A playable tech demo demonstrating what PC's at the time were capable of. That could just as easily be a shot from HL2's Highway 17. What's your point?

Top Bottom