• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 + iCEnhancer mod. Holy mother of god.

BlueWord

Liberty City in GTA4 was the best part, crazy how detailed and realistic they were able to make the city. This looks like it makes it even more immersive. Looks crazy good.

-viper-

Banned
LeadGandalf said:
Far Cry
farcry2006070222362404qolz.jpg
Motorstorm, Virtua Tennis 3, Fight Night Round 3 and Formula One were PS3 launch titles that looked better than any PC game out there.

I expect next generation games to look as good or better.

Dacon

Banned
I really enjoyed GTA4, this just makes me wish my pc was more powerful. Even if it meant I could only run it at a steady 25 fps I'd jump in.

Do any of these mods add god rays to the game?

Motorstorm, Virtua Tennis 3, Fight Night Round 3 and Formula One were PS3 launch titles that looked better than any PC game out there.

wat

legacyzero

Banned
So can somebody give me a TL;DR for a greener trying to use these mods? I have the Steam version by the way. What do I need, and what kind of Tutorials can I follow to make the process near painless?

God fucking damn, that is amazing. Those shots of the city at night at the diner, true noir vibe.

I'm almost compelled to rebuy off Gamersgate. I think their version works with mods. Not quite sure though.

Sanjay

SneakyStephan said:
So why is enthousiast builder gaf fucking the dog on this one?

I was expecting some footage from those of you with ridiculous GTX 580 SLI or crossfire 6970 set ups by now.

Sadly GTA4 does not support SLI or Crossfire.

-viper-

Banned
legacyzero said:
So can somebody give me a TL;DR for a greener trying to use these mods? I have the Steam version by the way. What do I need, and what kind of Tutorials can I follow to make the process near painless?
this ^

luckily i can run gta4 1080p, 60fps, at max settings. how do i install these mods, and where do i get the cool car packs? also, high resolution textures?

Proelite

Diminishing returns gtfo.

There is no limit to how good games can look if technology keeps rolling foward. This is a mod made by a few guys at most.

Dr_Peace

Banned
How the hell did this person make GTA4 NOT look like crap?

Seriously, that looks incredible.

Why are people talking about NEXT GEN, when this is a current generation game with more shaders and effects applied? Some better textures here and there?

The only notable thing Battlefield 3 is doing is adding more shaders too.

Ok turns out that the mod makes the game look *drastically* different depending upon the time of the day. So I had to use another mod to fiddle with the time of day & weather settings. Here's the best I could make it look (rainy looked the best, sunny/cloudy came out too washed out). This is with Icehancer 1.2 and GTA Steam (whichever version that is).

2vdiqvm.jpg

yellow submarine said:
Ok turns out that the mod makes the game look *drastically* different depending upon the time of the day. So I had to use another mod to fiddle with the time of day & weather settings. Here's the best I could make it look (rainy looked the best, sunny/cloudy came out too washed out). This is with Icehancer 1.2 and GTA Steam (whichever version that is).

Doesn't look as hot for some reason.

Pikelet

MiDNiGHTS said:
Doesn't look as hot for some reason.
Looks like shit. Aliasing everywhere, the road looks weird, the characters look super low res, the water looks like ice etc. etc.

saunderez

Pikelet said:
Looks like shit. Aliasing everywhere, the road looks weird, the characters look super low res, the water looks like ice etc. etc.
Not to mention Nico looks like a cardboard cut out against the background.

That vaseline filter on the ground needs to be gotten rid of too, it's worse than PD:0.

Gravijah

Dabanton said:
I don't get it. This is the same game that a vocal majority of GAF has regularly shit on as boring and nothing to do etc.. So all it takes to get you back onboard or in some cases even actually being interested in playing it, is a nice mod?

I never didn't like GTAIV, so quit with the hive mind silliness.

jambo

yellow submarine said:

I think you broke it =\

mr_nothin

Banned
yellow submarine said:
This happens when youre using settings for the wrong patch. Like using settings intended for 1.0.4 on patch 1.0.7

Sanjay said:
Sadly GTA4 does not support SLI or Crossfire.
Well that also puts the 'it ran poorly on my 5970' comment from the other poster earlier in perspective.
Because now his 5970 is just a 5850. (actually 2x 5850 in xfire are faster than a 5970 in games supporting xfire).

This means a 6950 or gtx 570 should run it quite a bit better.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Amazing stuff, goes to show how much good post effects and shaders can do a whole more than more triangles.

Gully State said:
I've never understood why Rockstar never embraced the modding community. The stuff these guys to do GTA is just downright amazing and yet Rockstar releases patches that completely breaks these things.

Because this mod came out over 3+ years after the game's release?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This thing kills my frame rate. I need to do a reformat anyways so my performance is kind of handicapped with the recent PC issues I've been having. Mind you, the settings in the shots here are not even maxed.

gtaiv2011-07-0500-26-1h264.png

gtaiv2011-07-0500-27-3p48l.png

gtaiv2011-07-0500-29-3v1o5.png

gtaiv2011-07-0500-29-4l0j7.png

Moegames

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
id definitly say that 30fps 720p pd0 is MUCH better looking than 1600x1200 (or whatever the 2004 standard was) 60fps 8xAA farcry.

IMO F.E.A.R. would be a much better game to argue the PCs side and i still think pd0 and cod2 beat it handily
I totally agree..each time the new consoles comes out.."usually" they set a new bar in terms of graphics. Sure PC's eventually over take them after a while but lets be honest..when new console hardware comes out..its like xmas time in terms of visuals.

My goodness..pc gamers are stubborn..they refuse to give an inch lol. I love both pc and console gaming..im not being biased by this opinion at all..but others i cant say the same for.

kevm3

What exactly are they doing to get the graphics to this fidelity? Altering the lighting engine and shaders and exchanging the car models?

See You Next Wednesday said:
Because this mod came out over 3+ years after the game's release?

Still doesn't explain why Rockstar would release patches down the line to continually bork these mods..

mr_nothin

Banned
kevm3 said:
What exactly are they doing to get the graphics to this fidelity? Altering the lighting engine and shaders and exchanging the car models?
Yes, pretty much

There's a LOT that can be altered. They're also coding in their own shaders and etc...
Upping the resolution of shadows, adding in contact shadows (SSAO), adding reflections. Also rendering at 3300x1600, or w/e the exact resolution is, and downsampling to your monitors resolution for SSAA.

Gully State said:
Still doesn't explain why Rockstar would release patches down the line to continually bork these mods..
They release patches to improve the vanilla game. They re-coded shaders and optimized other aspects of their code to get the game to load twice as fast and render at a higher quality while also lowering the impact on fps. The mods basically require the same exact shaders. The coders/modders just have to rewrite their code for the new patches. Or everyone can just do like how they've been doing and just stick to 1.0.4

Ether_Snake said:
Amazing stuff, goes to show how much good post effects and shaders can do a whole more than more triangles.

Yeah, and also based on the HUGE difference between my screenshot and the one with the taxi that looks HDR photorealistic (almost); you have to get a lot of things to align correctly.

I mean I probably f-ed up the settings really bad and made it look even worse than it should be in my screenshot (sorry guys /walk of master-race shame).

mr_nothin

Banned
yellow submarine said:
Yeah, and also based on the HUGE difference between my screenshot and the one with the taxi that looks HDR photorealistic (almost); you have to get a lot of things to align correctly.

I mean I probably f-ed up the settings really bad and made it look even worse than it should be in my screenshot (sorry guys /walk of master-race shame).
More than likely you have a patch that was coded for 1.0.4 and you're using it on patch 1.0.7. It wont work.

mr_nothin said:
More than likely you have a patch that was coded for 1.0.4 and you're using it on patch 1.0.7. It wont work.

I'm sorry! I shouldn't be trying to jury rig shit like that and just expect it work. But I got so excited after seeing that HDR screenie and the youtube videos that I decided to try it anyway.

/runs away sobbing uncontrollably

schuey7

Sethos said:
Posting these again. From the first time I took the mod out for a spin.

3.png

4.png

Night time + rain is stunning as hell.

What I love about the second pic is that the raindrops change colour as they pass through the different lights.It adds so much to the realism , maybe this is there in other games but this the first time I've noticed this.

Ether_Snake said:
Ehm it's not just shaders and post process effects though.

The high res custom texture pack he is using for the videos goes a LONG way to making the game look better. (as do the detailed car models).

It's also not like using such high res reflections and shadows isn't extremely demanding too.
Post process stuff like blur and dof can stay out of games for all I care, that stuff belongs in cutscenes and extremely sparsely used to set the atmosphere during certain scenes ingame.

I'm trying to play a game, not watch some cinematic movie that emulates every downside a real camera lens has and copies dramatic focus shots in movies (that actually serve a purpose when used in movies).

You don't get terrible blurring in your vision if you 'pan' your view around in real life because your eyes are fast to adjust, and depth of field gets tuned out by your brain.

Seriously wish game devs would attempt to simulate reality instead of movies.

edit: I guess devs like using post processing effects because it's 'fire and forget' stuff , you program it then globally apply it to every frame, there is no need for an artist to intervene or do any work or changes when he designs the maps.
Imo we'll need a l4d style AI director to decide when to use (and appropriatly scale) these effects depending on what's going on (instead of to control spawns like in l4d).

But that would be a fuckton of work for every single game, I doubt we'll get that any time soon.
If we did this 'amazing new feature' would suddenly be a lot less popular too me thinks.

mr_nothin

Banned
SneakyStephan said:

The high res custom texture pack he is using for the videos goes a LONG way to making the game look better. (as do the detailed car models).

It's also not like using such high res reflections and shadows isn't extremely demanding too.
Post process stuff like blur and dof can stay out of games for all I care, that stuff belongs in cutscenes and extremely sparsely used to set the atmosphere during certain scenes ingame.

I'm trying to play a game, not watch some cinematic movie that emulates every downside a real camera lens has and copies dramatic focus shots in movies (that actually serve a purpose when used in movies).

You don't get terrible blurring in your vision if you 'pan' your view around in real life because your eyes are fast to adjust, and depth of field gets tuned out by your brain.

Oh gosh...
Devs arent simulating movies. They're simulating camera lenses (3rd person) and eyes (1st person). There's no way to effectively simulate eyes from a 3rd person perspective so they choose to simulate the next best option which is the lens. Also, if you didnt already know...your eyes also have that "dramatic focus". About panning in real life thing, ummm your eyes do blur if you pan. If you keep your eyes stationary and pan your head left to right then you'll get that blur that you hate. Your eyes also blur if you turn your head quickly.

The high resolution texture pack isnt doing as much as all of the lighting adjustments and new/altered shaders. I dont even have it installed and my GTAIV looks better than people WITH the high res texture pack. My GTA pretty much looks like the videos. If you just installed the high res texture pack w/o all the mods then it wouldnt look nealy as good. Install the mods by themselves and it looks better than vanilla GTA + high res texture pack. Also...Ether_Snake didnt say anything about textures, he clearly stated triangles.

Animation/Lighting/Shaders (effects) are what really makes games standout. Those things are pretty much at the top of the list if you want to make your game POP. They are also the hardest and most demanding things to do.

schuey7

SneakyStephan said:

edit: I guess devs like using post processing effects because it's 'fire and forget' stuff , you program it then globally apply it to every frame, there is no need for an artist to intervene or do any work or changes when he designs the maps.
Imo we'll need a l4d style AI director to decide when to use (and appropriatly scale) these effects depending on what's going on (instead of to control spawns like in l4d).

But that would be a fuckton of work for every single game, I doubt we'll get that any time soon.
If we did this 'amazing new feature' would suddenly be a lot less popular too me thinks.

Believe it or not I had the same thought this morning.Maybe we will get AI camera and post processing effects directors next gen which can make a world of a difference in approaching realism in games or to make it more cinematic without interfering with the gameplay because most such mods are good for fooling around but often they cause problems when playing real games.

Sethos

Banned
For shits and giggles, I ordered an MSI N580GTX Twin Frozr II/OC to see how the performance is compared to my 5970. People say the bad performance is purely because of Crossfire - We'll see!

mr_nothin

Banned
TheLegendOfMart said:
How do i turn down sharpening in Icenhancer?
I haven't used Icenhancer yet but I'll let you know when I do (if someone hasnt by that time).
I know how to do it in ENB though but that doesnt help lol

Sethos

Banned
mr_nothin said:
I haven't used Icenhancer yet but I'll let you know when I do (if someone hasnt by that time).
I know how to do it in ENB though but that doesnt help lol

The ENB and iCenhancer configs are basically identical in layout

Waikis

Sethos said:
For shits and giggles, I ordered an MSI N580GTX Twin Frozr II/OC to see how the performance is compared to my 5970. People say the bad performance is purely because of Crossfire - We'll see!

An easier way to prove it without spending money on a gfx card is to just disable the crossfire on your 5970.... you will notice that the performance will be roughly the same between cfx and non cfx.

Sethos

Banned
Waikis said:
An easier way to prove it without spending money on a gfx card is to just disable the crossfire on your 5970.... you will notice that the performance will be roughly the same between cfx and non cfx.

I tried, can't. RadeonPro doesn't work with the launcher and Catalyst AI isn't working like in the old drivers either. So I'm shit out of luck.

Doesn't matter, wanted to get a single-card for ages now, I'm officially done with Crossfire - Pile of shit.

Sethos

Banned
Not seeing the effects.txt, by config I meant the .ini file containing all the settings is identical to ENB pretty much. Not sure how the overall installation looks.

Top Bottom