• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 + iCEnhancer mod. Holy mother of god.

mr_nothin said:
Oh gosh...
Devs arent simulating movies. They're simulating camera lenses (3rd person) and eyes (1st person). There's no way to effectively simulate eyes from a 3rd person perspective so they choose to simulate the next best option which is the lens. Also, if you didnt already know...your eyes also have that "dramatic focus". About panning in real life thing, ummm your eyes do blur if you pan. If you keep your eyes stationary and pan your head left to right then you'll get that blur that you hate. Your eyes also blur if you turn your head quickly.

The high resolution texture pack isnt doing as much as all of the lighting adjustments and new/altered shaders. I dont even have it installed and my GTAIV looks better than people WITH the high res texture pack. My GTA pretty much looks like the videos. If you just installed the high res texture pack w/o all the mods then it wouldnt look nealy as good. Install the mods by themselves and it looks better than vanilla GTA + high res texture pack. Also...Ether_Snake didnt say anything about textures, he clearly stated triangles.

Animation/Lighting/Shaders (effects) are what really makes games standout. Those things are pretty much at the top of the list if you want to make your game POP. They are also the hardest and most demanding things to do.

Simulating movies and camera lenses is the same thing, (and I clearly said camera lenses).

Also yeah, those 3 (animations/lighting/shaders) are hard to do RIGHT.
So few devs manage (makes the stuff in this mod even more impressive!) , and what I hate about that is that when it's not done right it's just an eye sore that doesn't add anything to the look of a game.
Especially dynamic lighting and shadows.

Until gt5 lighting (sober and natural ,at least in replays, gameplay is too contrasty), bf3 radiosity , mafia 2 sober lighting with great AO shadows, the dx11 soft shadowing stuff in certain games and now this mod I bloody hated what this gen had done to the look of games.
Piss filter and bloom (instead of proper full range HDR) and those ugly harsh shadows made games look worse than good old simple lighting and baked shadows in games like cod2 and mohaa.

I also didn't discredit the lighting, I just said it's not just those that make it look so good, because the guy I quoted worded it like it's just lighting and post processing that elevates this above vanilla gta4 (the textures really are exceptional, especially the fiona5 road textures and the ones for building facades).

You should probably go see an eye doctor, because the blurring I get when looking around isn't nearly as dramatic (or smeary) as in a video game.
I can also CHOOSE where I focus my view without having to adjust where I'm looking at, which is an important difference.
In a movie the director and camera man sets the focus for the cameras and decides what you want to be looking at, in a game I'm still the one in control and moving around and I don't need the game to blur out stuff I need to see.
E.G the director idea, because atm it's just retarded.

edit: also a complete lack of peripheral vision and a narrow field of view make adding any kind of blurring or other things to degrade IQ and contrast (TAA, MLAA, bad artists who don't know how to use color or contrast right) turn the game into an extremely disorienting experience.

Going from say quake or half life or ut with a 90+ degree fov and great contrasting sharp smooth uncluttered scenes to blurbloom 55 degree eyerape brightness fuzzy graphics in unpatched crysis 2 or most console games with narrow fov a big slap in the face.

When you also add all the LCD related problems to that it becomes too bad to tolerate for me.
So yeah, I'm not a big fan of post processing unless it is done right or I'm just watching a game not playing.

edit:
This link shows the textures at work (also custom ENB shaders)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFY9XeoFiIo

Supersampling instead of post process AA and HDR lighting that's subtle instead of screen melting bloom alone go a long way to getting enjoyable image quality, even after youtube compression takes a dump on it. (alternatively no AA and deal with jaggies:p or proper MSAA not edge detect crap)

mr_nothin

Banned
Sethos said:
Not seeing the effects.txt, by config I meant the .ini file containing all the settings is identical to ENB pretty much. Not sure how the overall installation looks.
Oh well the filter isnt in the .ini config. I believe it's Dkt70's sharpen filter unless Im mistaken. I'm not sure though, I'll wait until I actually install icenhancer.

Sethos

Banned
kokujin said:
Is it possible to edit the Ini while the game is going?

Yes, according to the ENB dev.

In the config, there's "CyclicConfigReading=false"

CyclicConfigReading=(false/true) this parameter activates/deactivates cycling reading of enbseries.ini file, it's very useful, when we work on the preset. ENBSeries reads the file in every 5 seconds.

So it reads the updated settings every fifth second.

mr_nothin

Banned
kokujin said:
Is it possible to edit the Ini while the game is going?
I remember there being a way to do it. There was a mod with an in-game menu to adjust the settings on the fly while in game. I cant remember the name though :/

Im of no use

LiK said:
Did R* hire this guy yet?

for what exactly?

As impressive as all the stuff looks, it doesn't seem like he's actually done much of it himself, most of it seems to be based off of other community projects with his own custom configs on it.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Honest and serious question:

Since GTA IV relies mainly on processor speed, is there ANY processor planned to be released within the next year that will be able to run GTAIV with this mod at a rock 60fps or higher? Bulldozer? Ivy Bridge? Larabee?

Mr_Brit

Banned
isamu said:

Since GTA IV relies mainly on processor speed, is there ANY processor planned to be released within the next year that will be able to run GTAIV with this mod at a rock 60fps or higher? Bulldozer? Ivy Bridge? Larabee?
Ivy Bridge should be able to reach near 6GHZ on air cooling so if that's not enough then the game is just badly coded. Shouldn't current gen Sandy Bridge processors be able to max the game?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
les papillons sexuels said:
for what exactly?

As impressive as all the stuff looks, it doesn't seem like he's actually done much of it himself, most of it seems to be based off of other community projects with his own custom configs on it.
Looks like it.

mr_nothin

Banned
isamu said:

These mods are graphics card heavy. Most (if not all) of the effects being enabled are handled by gfx cards.

Sethos

Banned
Went for a lil' drive, we all love pictures.

108533710.png

541924060.png

Yes, I have a thing for stormy nights with this mod.

EDIT: Updated links.

Specs, settings and framerate Sethos? Sorry if it's already been asked.

Wortany said:
Those reflections........
But I'm guessing those are only on the added car models, and not on every car?
If you're referring to the car in Sethos' screens, that's an FBI Buffalo - an in game car.

LCGeek

formerly sane
-COOLIO- said:
half life 2/ doom3 were 2004 right? the 360 was 2005 ya?

id say pd zero, cod2, and kameo were a huge step above doom 3 and hl 2

They were released in those years but in development for some time with much less powerful hardware spec. Comparing something made for geforce 4 level of tech compare to what ended up in the 360 is useless. To put it in perspective in 2k4 the pc games mentioned came out, then 360 titles a year later, 2 years later we got crysis which it and serveral other high end pc titles have no console comparisons since.

The jump that happened in the mid to last half of the last decade was immense. Once devs can use pc hardware of current gen or even one back games should take a huge leap.

Sethos

Banned
Wortany said:
Those reflections........
But I'm guessing those are only on the added car models, and not on every car?

There's reflection on all standard cars, just remember to clean them.

Also, reflection in the game is real-time reflection, not just some fake shine and random calculations. Buildings around will reflect into the car.

120965352.png

524158959.png

Mechanical Snowman said:
Specs, settings and framerate Sethos? Sorry if it's already been asked.

i7 940 @ 3.8
6GB DDR3
5970 ( The Achilles' heel, damn CF )

Running 1920x1200, High on most, Very High on Shadows and Reflection. Sliders to 40 ( They kill performance ) and can get a solid 30-50FPS going when cruising but it'll slow right down if you turn camera too much, go too fast or there's lots of action.

Hopefully the 580 I ordered will correct the CF issues.

RS4-

I can get a very steady 55fps but...I think my mods aren't working properly with .0.7.0 or whatever the last patch is. I'll probably do a reinstall and throw in only enb/enhancer + the high res texture pack.

itsgreen

Welcome next gen...

A game made 3 years ago with proper hardware and a good of amount of tweaks looks like that. Goddamned.

Wish my PC was proper

mr_nothin

Banned
RS4- said:
I can get a very steady 55fps but...I think my mods aren't working properly with .0.7.0 or whatever the last patch is. I'll probably do a reinstall and throw in only enb/enhancer + the high res texture pack.
Stick to 1.0.4 for any kind of modding

SneakyStephan said:
Did Wii U rumors change again then or something? A 5750 is a bit better than a 4850 , which was like the best case scenario for a wii according to IGN rumors right? And where people got the 4-5x figure from? Which then turned out to be bollox and more of a 50 percent figure according to devs? (not final specs and underclocking -boo hoo so it's 60 percent instead of 50 then- aside)
SneakyStephan said:
Aka nowhere near as good as that 5750, anyhow I'm going to drop this now, it has nothing to do with this thread and frankly who gives a fuck.

You're desperately grabbing at thin air mate, no specs have been confirmed for the system.

Grr, i hate all these pics why do mine never look like those, my stock icenhancer is washed out and overbright, the better city textures i installed dont look any better than stock....dont get any motion blurr shaders or anything.

mr_nothin

Banned
TheLegendOfMart said:
Grr, i hate all these pics why do mine never look like those, my stock icenhancer is washed out and overbright, the better city textures i installed dont look any better than stock....dont get any motion blurr shaders or anything.
Your settings might be borked man. There's a setting in there somewhere for texture resolution. It kind of sort of super samples the textures. There's some kind of scale adjustment in there.

What patch are you on?

Wortany

Mechanical Snowman said:
If you're referring to the car in Sethos' screens, that's an FBI Buffalo - an in game car.
Woops, see what those awesome reflections do, I can't even recognize the standard cars anymore. (Also doesn't help that it's been a long time since I played)
Now to make it work on my machine as well. The mod worked yesterday, and now GTA4 just crashes when I try to start it up with the mod. (retail 1.0.4.0 version)

TheLegendOfMart said:
Grr, i hate all these pics why do mine never look like those, my stock icenhancer is washed out and overbright
Also this.

mr_nothin said:
Your settings might be borked man. There's a setting in there somewhere for texture resolution. It kind of sort of super samples the textures. There's some kind of scale adjustment in there.

What patch are you on?
Thanks but i havent edited them they are stock straight out of the zip file, im running 1.0.4.0

Sethos

Banned
Try removing the bloom and / or sun flares with the included rar'ed up configs. Scenes does tend to get very bright during clear weather and sun is up. However, if you still got blur / over brightness issues during night scenes, something is wrong. My game is crisp most of the time and only gets bright when sun is really shining and and I'm looking at really sun exposed areas - Looks quite good however, doesn't strike me as a bad effect.

I'm using stock config where I've tweaked the trees a little bit as the stock trees are cartoon cutouts, that's it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Yea my stock install is really washed out or just overbright, Not too sure what's going on there.

Three shitty pictures, all taken on high/very high settings in GTA4 with stock ice settings and no other modifcations. File names should tell you what they are, also 4MB png's, 1920x1200 res

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12786396/GTA4/dark%20intro.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12786396/GTA4/flying%20daytime.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12786396/GTA4/odd%20lighting.png

I might tweak with it over the next few days and maybe try some texture packs or something. See if i can't make it all nice and purdy.

Sethos

Banned
evlcookie said:
Yea my stock install is really washed out or just overbright, Not too sure what's going on there.

Three shitty pictures, all taken on high/very high settings in GTA4 with stock ice settings and no other modifcations. File names should tell you what they are, also 4MB png's, 1920x1200 res

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12786396/GTA4/dark intro.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12786396/GTA4/flying daytime.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12786396/GTA4/odd lighting.png

Definitely something wrong with the middle picture, two others look fairly spot-on. Okay maybe the last one is also very over-exposed.

Maybe you guys should remove the bloom. The default ice has both sunflares + bloom. There's RARs included that has only sunflares or only bloom. Try only sunflares.

Sethos said:
Definitely something wrong with the middle picture, two others look fairly spot-on. Okay maybe the last one is also very over-exposed.

Maybe you guys should remove the bloom. The default ice has both sunflares + bloom. There's RARs included that has only sunflares or only bloom. Try only sunflares.
Ah sorry misunderstood, will try removing the bloom, thanks.

Sethos

Banned
TheLegendOfMart said:
http://fox.ugug.org/GTAIV-2011-07-05-12-36-36-48.jpg
It gets worse than that if i head into the sun, it makes all the textures look washed out.

Thinking that's the bloom effect combined with the sun flares. It's supposed to look washed out in bright areas but your colour setup just looks off too, so that perhaps isn't helping.

Tried to mimic that screenshot with my own settings;

http://imgf.tw/879993173.png

You can see, still has the washed out effect but colours are a bit darker. Washed out effect is part of the mod in sunny areas but that goes away when not looking towards a sunny area, so in motion it looks fantastic imo. Although, it looks like your texture mod isn't installed properly.

-viper-

Banned
well I tried this mod and it brings my system to its knees.

my 6950 + 2500k can run GTA4 at 1080p 60FPS locked.

With this mod? It hovers between 20-35 FPS.

edit: tried lowering to 720p. changed from very high to high. doesn't really make much difference :\

I am also getting this way too bright during day scenes. Looks great at night though but just way too bright and crappy in the day light, the roads are nearly completely white at times.

Top Bottom