• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTAV - Spring 2013, Xbox 360/PS3. Trailer #2 hits on Nov. 14th

It wouldn't be hard to add a little spice for vigilante.

Break it up into types: vice squad, gang violence, etc. One you could do SWAT stuff: break down doors, raids on houses, clear the room.

Or you could help the police take down someone you don't like, so you find clues/whatever, build a case, before working up to a "boss" which would be Douche McBagg and some cronies in a warehouse.
When you complete it, it'd trigger cutscenes.

Actually they should just take everything about RDR's sidemissions and put that in the GTA universe.

Raptomex

It wouldn't be hard to add a little spice for vigilante.

Break it up into types: vice squad, gang violence, etc. One you could do SWAT stuff: break down doors, raids on houses, clear the room.

Or you could help the police take down someone you don't like, so you find clues/whatever, build a case, before working up to a "boss" which would be Douche McBagg and some cronies in a warehouse.
When you complete it, it'd trigger cutscenes.

Actually they should just take everything about RDR's sidemissions and put that in the GTA universe.
That sounds pretty cool. I doubt they'd get that involved with it though. I could be wrong. Rockstar always surprises.
Jetpack
. I'm just tired of going to the same locations and just always doing the same thing. There's one main mission in TLAD that had you fire a grenade into the Angel of Death's hideout then invade and take everyone out. Stuff like that is really cool. I also like the idea of recruiting guys for back up and stuff.

Fjordson

Definitely hope R* doesn't do anything similar to that "leaked" info. Wanted level just for speeding would be lame.

That's based off a "leak" awhile ago, I don't think it was 4chan but it was around that time. It's bullshit though.

I'll look around in a minute for source.

I loved cops pulling over over in IV I'd like to see more stuff like that to flesh out the world (a working police station, with booking, prisoners being transferred on the regular, etc.).
Agreed, that'd be great.

Also since it's LA, I'd like to see cops pulling over minorities unfairly and/or beating them Rodney King style.
Then you could get good guy karma for killing the racist police.

I'm twisted, I know.

Raptomex

Also since it's LA, I'd like to see cops pulling over minorities unfairly and/or beating them Rodney King style.
Then you could get good guy karma for killing the racist police.

I'm twisted, I know.
That'd be awesome. The gang stuff should return. Isn't gang shit big in LA?

The police are more out of control in NYC than LA and they didn't put a lot of that shit in so I don't know how far they'll take it.

And yeah gangs are pretty big in LA.

Fjordson

I wonder what the comment about the ocean in the announcement means, if anything. "from the tops of the mountains to the depths of the ocean". Full oceanic wildlife? Awkward underwater missions?

Raptomex

I wonder what the comment about the ocean in the announcement means, if anything. "from the tops of the mountains to the depths of the ocean". Full oceanic wildlife? Awkward underwater missions?
I wouldn't mind getting eaten by sharks as long as there's some form of warning that they're coming and it's not every 5 seconds unless you leave the map area maybe.

Yeah I don't know what it means either.

Although I hope they have surfers in it even if the activity is non-playable.

I'm just going to assume it's a PR thing right now.

Arksy

Gy4Vy.jpg

Perfect. I'm pretty upset by this but colour me unsurprised.

Fjordson

Haha, yeah hopefully it just means there will be more activity on the beaches and in the ocean than there was in past games.

I'm more interested in the mountains anyway. Make them fun to drive down or up, and fun to launch my dirtbike off of, and I'm set.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't see that it can be game design related, it's probably just a pretty way of talking about a richer simulation within the game. I can't think of any really justifed uses for underwater mission wise, you could do little things, like if you fall off a boat, you have to swim up, and you see fish, or a mission that takes place on a glass bottom boat, but unless it's really crazy, like attaching explosives to the bottom of harbored boats while scuba diving, I doubt it's anything notable.

Raptomex

I don't see that it can be game design related, it's probably just a pretty way of talking about a richer simulation within the game. I can't think of any really justifed uses for underwater mission wise, you could do little things, like if you fall off a boat, you have to swim up, and you see fish, or a mission that takes place on a glass bottom boat, but unless it's really crazy, like attaching explosives to the bottom of harbored boats while scuba diving, I doubt it's anything notable.
San Andreas did it quite well I thought for a certain mission. Going underwater to avoid the spotlights then sneaking onto the boat. Maybe something like that.

StuBurns

Banned
San Andreas did it quite well I thought for a certain mission. Going underwater to avoid the spotlights then sneaking onto the boat. Maybe something like that.
Yeah, stealth stuff is what it evokes really, cutting open underwater passages and going through drainage to gain access to a mansion or something, but I guess I just don't associate that kind of design with GTA, who knows, maybe they've put a focus on stealth, it's a natural direction for the sandbox concept after all.

Well they had "Amphibious Assault" in San Andreas where you swim underwater to the Tanker.

It'd be interesting if they copied a mission similar to one in Black Ops (?) where you sneak through water into little huts, up to a base or something.

Maybe in the Countryside. That'd probably fit better.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Rockstar North has a lot to prove. I liked GTA4 but Rockstar San Diego stepped up and hit a 650 foot home run. Tough act to follow.

StuBurns

Banned
Rockstar North has a lot to prove. I liked GTA4 but Rockstar San Diego stepped up and hit a 650 foot home run. Tough act to follow.
While RDR is a better game, I don't think there's some huge gulf in terms of design, the story is just much better, but they're both written by Dan Houser right? So I don't think that's going to really impact it.

I wonder if GTA5 has a clear cinematic influence, I thought with GTA4 they'd be done with that, but RDR is very much The Preposition, it'll be interesting to see if 5 is aping something as directly.

Fjordson

While RDR is a better game, I don't think there's some huge gulf in terms of design, the story is just much better, but they're both written by Dan Houser right? So I don't think that's going to really impact it.

I wonder if GTA5 has a clear cinematic influence, I thought with GTA4 they'd be done with that, but RDR is very much The Preposition, it'll be interesting to see if 5 is aping something as directly.
Both written by Dan Houser, both with Sam Houser and Leslie Benzies as producers. And some other people in smaller roles like Lazlow and Rob Nelson.

Of course a lot of the credit goes to the team at San Diego for all the technical design work, but I agree. I don't think the gulf between IV and Red Dead is that huge, even if I did enjoy RDR more than IV overall.

Dabanton

Both written by Dan Houser, both with Sam Houser and Leslie Benzies as producers. And some other people in smaller roles like Lazlow and Rob Nelson.

Of course a lot of the credit goes to the team at San Diego for all the technical design work, but I agree. I don't think the gulf between IV and Red Dead is that huge, even if I did enjoy RDR more than IV overall.

Also from the interviews R* seem to all pitch in on their games Max Payne 3 for instance had a lot of help from different parts of R*

I would expect the same setup for GTAV.

Squire

Banned

You can point to a single film pretty easily with most of their games, but I have no clue what this could be. They have a LOT to satirize in SoCal/CA culture, but I've got no clue about a film influence.

What do you think, Fjordson? Since you're from here as well.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I probably still will not have beaten GTA4 by the time this comes out. I'll tell myself to wait for a sale, but will still probably get it Day One. Suck.

A lot of the things in RDR started with things they did in IV.
The random pedestrians you bumped into, for example.

It just goes to show how important momentum is.

UrbanRats

They'll copy Heat once again, be sure of that.

One thing i found, replaying them back to back, is that the gunplay in RDR is much better.
Not only in terms of controls (you can aim from cover without shooting, run without pressing A etc) but the simple feeling of shooting is better, much more impactful, the enemies are also much more fragile, which is incredibly more fun.
I also hope they'll use the weapon wheel idea, much better than going through your weapons with the dpad.

Fjordson

Also from the interviews R* seem to all pitch in on their games Max Payne 3 for instance had a lot of help from different parts of R*

I would expect the same setup for GTAV.
Agreed.

You can point to a single film pretty easily with most of their games, but I have no clue what this could be. They have a LOT to satirize in SoCal/CA culture, but I've got no clue about a film influence.

What do you think, Fjordson? Since you're from here as well.
Yeah, that's tough to say. I think once we have some details about the main character(s) then it'll be easier to speculate.

Like UrbanRats said, I think Heat could be a possible inspiration, especially if there are multiple main characters. Maybe that scene from the trailer of the guys filing out of the pest control van in jumpsuits was the main characters. All in on a robbery together.

Basically you'll have the narrator (possibly that white guy on the balcony) from the trailer as the main character, the leader of the crew like DeNiro in Heat. You'll follow him for most of the plot, but in certain spots the story will shift control to the guys working under him and you'll be able to explore their characters more. And then towards the end it'll shift back to the leader for the big finish.

Buckethead actually had a big post about all of this in more detail, but I can't find it at the moment. I think the the crew idea could be really, really neat if done well. But a lot of what I'm thinking about is assuming they are going with multiple protagonists, so we'll just have to see.

They'll copy Heat once again, be sure of that.

One thing i found, replaying them back to back, is that the gunplay in RDR is much better.
Not only in terms of controls (you can aim from cover without shooting, run without pressing A etc) but the simple feeling of shooting is better, much more impactful, the enemies are also much more fragile, which is incredibly more fun.
I also hope they'll use the weapon wheel idea, much better than going through your weapons with the dpad.

Hope so. Heat made up the best part of GTA4. Hopefully they'll mine some Collateral too.

StuBurns

Banned
I think a GTA aping a season of TV, instead of a film, would be incredible. Twenty really refined hour long missions, instead of like fifty of mixed quality. Despite the clear Heat influence, I think the three leaf clover mission is the most loved because it feels like a mini isolated arc.

Squire

Banned
Agreed.

Yeah, that's tough to say. I think once we have some details about the main character(s) then it'll be easier to speculate.

Like UrbanRats said, I think Heat could be a possible inspiration, especially if there are multiple main characters. Maybe that scene from the trailer of the guys filing out of the pest control van in jumpsuits was the main characters. All in on a robbery together.

Basically you'll have the narrator (possibly that white guy on the balcony) from the trailer as the main character, the leader of the crew like DeNiro in Heat. You'll follow him for most of the plot, but in certain spots the story will shift control to the guys working under him and you'll be able to explore their characters more. And then towards the end it'll shift back to the leader for the big finish.

Buckethead actually had a big post about all of this in more detail, but I can't find it at the moment. I think the the crew idea could be really, really neat if done well. But a lot of what I'm thinking about is assuming they are going with multiple protagonists, so we'll just have to see.

Yeah, I remember all that now that you mention it. I think it's a pretty sound theory, but yeah, it relies on the game having multiple protagonists. And I'm pretty confident it does at this point.

UrbanRats

Three leaf clover is also a lot of wasted potential.
For all the cool stuff you could've done with that concept, the mission is, in the end, shooting your way through cops and little else.
I liked escaping in the metro, but instead of a cutscene, the actual robbery could've been gameplay, keep your aim on the people in the bank, plant the C4 etc etc.
There is also zero planning before hand, just a dialogue in a car, that's it.

RDR's preparations for the assault on Fort Mercer got tedious, but at least there was a bit of build up to it.

Dabanton

Things I want to see being built on in GTA:V

The random stranger missions which stretched over the game. Anyone run into that serial killer guy? He was actually genuinely creepy. I liked that R* improved them even more in RDR some actually cool missions came from them especially a certain mysterious character you see on your travels as Marston.

More vigilante missions or an expanded Drug Wars mini game I have enjoyed doing those in BoGt.

Fjordson

Yeah, I remember all that now that you mention it. I think it's a pretty sound theory, but yeah, it relies on the game having multiple protagonists. And I'm pretty confident it does at this point.
Definitely.

One thing that I'm happy about is that I feel like the main character is established at the start of this game. At least going by the narration in the first trailer if it was from the main character. He already rich, he chose to move to Los Santos, and now he's back in for the hell of it. He's not reluctant, he's not some immigrant coming to America to live with his cousin like Nico, he hasn't been screwed over fresh outta prison in a different state like Vercetti, or trying to rebuild his gang like CJ. He's most likely a professional that knows what he's doing.

No more early missions driving some guy's stripper down the block for $50 or picking up a pistol behind a dumpster so you'll have at least something to fight guys with in a mission. Hopefully a more well-off character from the jump means we'll be into bigger and more interesting things faster with the main plot.

The random stranger missions which stretched over the game. Anyone run into that serial killer guy? He was actually genuinely creepy. I liked that R* improved them even more in RDR some actually cool missions came from them especially a certain mysterious character you see on your travels as Marston.
Yes! The stranger missions in RDR were some of the coolest things in the entire game. They were incredibly interesting and really well written I thought. Really helped flesh out the world and the time period.

The mysterious one you're talking about was so fascinating, I remember just pausing the game after the final encounter with him and having to think about what the hell had just happened.

UrbanRats

More vigilante missions or an expanded Drug Wars mini game I have enjoyed doing those in BoGt.

Regarding strangers tasks, i want less of the cutscenes-only ones, like California, from RDR.

I'd gladly play this at console graphics settings if i could play it in the Spring. Fucking bs. Not worth waiting 6 months or whatever it will be

Smash88

Banned
Or pulled directly from a console dev kit.

Touched up console shots. I am telling you with a straight face.

edit or console dev kit

I'd say this.

We're all speculating here at this point.

They have to release this content on regular consoles eventually, so they can't deceive us at these graphical settings for much longer - the truth on whether it is coming on PC will come on sooner or later (I hope...).

Squire

Banned
Definitely.

One thing that I'm happy about is that I feel like the main character is established at the start of this game. At least going by the narration in the first trailer if it was from the main character. He already rich, he chose to move to Los Santos, and now he's back in for the hell of it. He's not reluctant, he's not some immigrant coming to America to live with his cousin like Nico, he hasn't been screwed over fresh outta prison in a different state like Vercetti, or trying to rebuild his gang like CJ. He's most likely a professional that knows what he's doing.

No more early missions driving some guy's stripper down the block for $50 or picking up a pistol behind a dumpster so you'll have at least something to fight guys with in a mission. Hopefully a more well-off character from the jump means we'll be into bigger and more interesting things faster with the main plot.

Yes! The stranger missions in RDR were some of the coolest things in the entire game. They were incredibly interesting and really well written I thought. Really helped flesh out the world and the time period.

The mysterious one you're talking about was so fascinating, I remember just pausing the game after the final encounter with him and having to think about what the hell had just happened.

I hope you're right and it plays out just like this. I keep thinking about the first PR mentioning that the game's about "the putsuit of the almighty dollar." People with money will sometimes do anything to keep it and those who've earned a lot through illegitimate means often feel the economic pinch moreso than the legitimately wealthy. It'd be cool to see the main protagonist get desperate and go deeper to keep what he has while the young guys struggle to come up to begin with.

Fjordson

I hope you're right and it plays out just like this. I keep thinking about the first PR mentioning that the game's about "the putsuit of the almighty dollar." People with money will sometimes do anything to keep it and those who've earned a lot through illegitimate means often feel the economic pinch moreso than the legitimately wealthy. It'd be cool to see the main protagonist get desperate and go deeper to keep what he has while the young guys struggle to come up to begin with.
Exactly. Like you said, the situation I described with the wealthier main character could be a perfect contrast to the potentially rougher economic situations of the other main characters. Going from ending one mission in the crew leader's mansion in the hills, greeting his wife and kids before dinner Tony Soprano style, to one of his guys in some dingy apartment in a seedy downtown neighborhood. Could keep the story feeling more fresh and varied than past games.

I think it'd be more interesting to play a game where you started with a shitton of money and then lost it compared with the opposite.

I really hope the sell drugs on streets rumor thing is true.,

Riggs

Banned
Wow no comments for the PC version? Really? ....

*Remembers playing GTA 1 in 6th grade on his PC*

/middle finger

The Lamp

Gonna have to buy it on console....1 month wait for PC version would be okay....but anything longer than that....let alone 6 months - never, I probably couldn't handle that.

MormaPope

Banned
Why does time itself make some of you PC owners pissed? I'm going to get GTA V for the 360 and double dip when the PC version is released. Rockstar isn't going to delay a finished product for consoles so PC owners also get it day one, it isn't laziness or inexperience, GTA V has been in development for a long time and Rockstar wants let this puppy loose.

Top Bottom