• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moskibear

enjoying the journey and adventures so far in the expansion, but I have to say (without story spoilers) that the teleporting cozztic in the first area are giving me a lot of trouble, what have others come up with to catch those buggers easily?

Retro

Reminder: Please refrain from posting story spoilers in the OT or Guild Chat.
Using spoiler tags in the thread is fine, but please don't discuss the story in guild chat, not everyone is rushing to finish the story on the first day, or even has access to HoT yet.

Hedge

Did they put in an event inactivity timer? Saw a discussion on reddit on how a death could easily disqualify you due to inactivity.

Goldrush

For the emblem, possible to switch bg color and white for the last one? Liked the last one the best, but thinking it might be even nicer if it looks closer to a twisted version of NeoGAF logo.

Hedge

Not a fan of the story gating at all :/

Yeah, I saw someone mentioning you needed Itzel lvl 4 for a story mission. That means that I can no longer do the story with my sister, unless she spends a whole lot of time in the open world map first. Plus whatever else masteries are needed before that. I honestly think that is dense. I was hoping at least that the story could have been held free of that time-sink, so busy players had some meaningful content to do. Now we can't play the story together, because she only has maybe 2-3 hours a week to play with me - and that has to go to running around VB.
This.. makes me more than sad. :(

Syril

Yeah, I saw someone mentioning you needed Itzel lvl 4 for a story mission. That means that I can no longer do the story with my sister, unless she spends a whole lot of time in the open world map first. Plus whatever else masteries are needed before that. I honestly think that is dense. I was hoping at least that the story could have been held free of that time-sink, so busy players had some meaningful content to do. Now we can't play the story together, because she only has maybe 2-3 hours a week to play with me - and that has to go to running around VB.
Ugh that's disappointing to hear. That was one of the things that put me off GW1 Nightfall, the game would straight up tell you to gain a bunch of levels to continue the story.

Some stories require a specific mastery unlocked to be played.

And it doesn't matter if you have Mastery Points, you have to earn that level of Mastery, so i had to run around VB do events, kill mobs, to get Gliding Basic, also for Mushroom jumping, and each time the XP needed increases, I am at 1 million XP needed for whatever the next basic mastery is, starting to feel like a grind IMO..

Hedge

The time it takes to unlock masteries and elites is a joke.

It wouldn't be as punishing, if I could choose to train them in tyria. It sounds good on paper - spend time in the jungle to get better at traversing it! But it fails as a mechanic when it is also a story gating mechanic. If I don't enjoy/don't have time to spend an ungodly amount of time in the new maps, I'm also locked out of pure story content.
I also can't just train them when I'm playing the stuff that I do have time for, because you have to be in the jungle.

I spent three hours getting 1 and a half mastery bar. I don't want to spend 10-15 hours just unlocking the potential to do the story. Not to mention the people who only have a few hours, and only wants to play the story.

Keep the gating out of the story, since you're so proud that the raids are "gate-free".

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
kinder funny how you have to basically nearlly finish the hot pve content before you can play your elite spec. like that doesnt make sense from a fun gameplay point,

surely the better scenrio would be, this spec comes unlocked sometime near the begining of hot which if you so chose you use that spec and get use to it to take over into other content like fractals pvp raids etc etc.

instead at moment its like well done you finished hot now go learn your new spec in either content you just currently finished or go get ur ass kicked in pvp or other content.

Spyware

I like the current emblem but if we're gonna change I'd like to suggest this one:
f8tbPXF.png

Proven

The most heartwarming part of that thread was how quickly someone responded without hate but with understanding, and on the gw2 official forums to boot.

Just got to a certain point in the story and the game is asking me to grind out multiple levels of a certain mastery.
ughhh.
I was having fun with the story but I don't know how I feel about gating it behind masteries. Especially since it feels strangely difficult to get xp since the adventures are often locked.
I'm 50/50. I've played in Verdant Brink for 4-5 hours now, and considering the need for hero points just for elite specializations, I feel like I need to do most of the area before going for the story anyway. But I can understand how annoying it is if you were much quicker than me or played at a time where the map was progressing quicker and you saw enough things by then.

Also, the most consistent experience boost comes from the map progression awarding you bonus chests with XP, so if the map you're on isn't moving quickly it can take some time.

For the emblem, possible to switch bg color and white for the last one? Liked the last one the best, but thinking it might be even nicer if it looks closer to a twisted version of NeoGAF logo.
Might not be terrible. Go all the way instead of just half way. Maybe even use HoT/Jungle colors to show we've got jungle fever for the time being.

Anet needs to put out an official soundtrack for HoT. The music is so good in the new zones.
I was listening to this mini soundtrack on the way home yesterday: https://soundcloud.com/arenanet/sets/gw2-heart-of-thorns-ost

I like the current emblem but if we're gonna change I'd like to suggest this one:
f8tbPXF.png

But we'd be stealing!

Edit: I forgot to ask, when are we doing guild hall claiming? In replacement of guild missions tonight? (Especially since Ashodin got them all completed last night).

I'm trying to get into this but I can't make a character I like. :c Norns seem cool, but I plan to play Revenant and it's weird to imagine a 9 foot dude teleporting around everywhere.

Humans would suit that better, but they have no good beard options.

Hedge

I'm trying to get into this but I can't make a character I like. :c Norns seem cool, but I plan to play Revenant and it's weird to imagine a 9 foot dude teleporting around everywhere.

My rev is a norn. ;_;

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member

Mad king does it fine :p

Go with what u like best

Luigi87

Just wanted to say that is a fantastic OP.

I had stopped playing shortly after I got Incinerator, which was not too long before season 2 started. I just got busy with other stuff.

Read the synopsis of the story, I see shit has very much hit the fan with Mordremoth and the Sylvari.

Had no idea there were going to be profession specializations.
Also lol at
DEAD
GAME
in the word search. Always makes me laugh.

Proven

Also, I actually read the Message of the Day and now know we are doing guild claiming at 9pm EDT tonight, in place of regular guild missions. But which guild hall are we going for?

Stealing? :(

I'm guessing that's an emblem you saw from another guild?

Trey

How long does it take to get to 80 these days? I burned out just before hitting 40 on my main last time I tried.

about the same for you, maybe a bit shorter. accounts that have been playing for a while have access to a variety of different items that speed up the process for alts now.

Spyware

I'm guessing that's an emblem you saw from another guild?
No I made it specifically for us just before I posted :(
It's on a banner because you can preview on weapons and banners in the "Emblemer" and the banner has a white background instead of the grey one ifd you pick emblem only.

kinder funny how you have to basically nearlly finish the hot pve content before you can play your elite spec. like that doesnt make sense from a fun gameplay point,

surely the better scenrio would be, this spec comes unlocked sometime near the begining of hot which if you so chose you use that spec and get use to it to take over into other content like fractals pvp raids etc etc.

instead at moment its like well done you finished hot now go learn your new spec in either content you just currently finished or go get ur ass kicked in pvp or other content.
I remember some people here a few days ago defending the 400 hp requirement because it wasn't a big deal. You could just get all of in the jungle. Since all hp were 10.

I wonder what changed in just 2 days. I mean it is not a big deal, right?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I remember some people here a few days ago defending the 400 hp requirement because it wasn't a big deal. You could just get all of in the jungle. Since all hp were 10.

I wonder what changed in just 2 days. I mean it is not a big deal, right?

People realised skill challenges requires more than 1 person.

What happebs in 6 months when ur getting ur alt elite spec ur locked out of story n cant get further cos no one is in zone.

Yea it dont take many points but if no one is there to help in 6 months ur fucked.

Content is hot right now (pun lol) but wait a year and come back to me

The requirement isnt the problem its the fact ur locked out of class aspect till late game n can be locked further when the vets have moved on from the latest shiney

People realised skill challenges requires more than 1 person.

What happebs in 6 months when ur getting ur alt elite spec ur locked out of story n cant get further cos no one is in zone.

Yea it dont take many points but if no one is there to help in 6 months ur fucked.

The requirement isnt the problem its the fact ur locked out of class aspect till late game n can be locked further when the vets have moved on from the latest shiney
Thanks for arguing my points for me. I really appreciate your kindness and sincerity.

Soulflarz

Banned

Yeah uh- anyone find a reasonable way to level those masteries in no time at all?

Wallach

The XP requirements for Masteries seem kind of off, yeah. I figured XP would be the low barrier and actually finding the Mastery points would be the throttle, but it's quite the other way around. I'm only on the second map and I've stockpiled 25 spare Mastery points.

Edit - That seems like a side effect of making the Mastery system account-based rather than character-based, but I think given what Mastery gates off the latter seems like it might have been preferable. This way will allow a different experience on your second character and beyond, but it doesn't feel great for your first character, which seems counter-intuitive to wanting the initial experience that tends to define perception to be stronger.

Hedge

Adventures give a lot of XP, so do the ones you like every day, and Masteries go quicker than you think. Also, XP boosts.

Adventures require certain events to unlock. I've yet to come across a single unlocked, so I have no idea how much they give.

Adventures require certain events to unlock. I've yet to come across a single unlocked, so I have no idea how much they give.

Lots, and since the maps are full of people since they're hot content now, the events are usually close to being finished, or finished. Not sure why you're not getting them unlocked, I've yet to come across a locked one that stayed locked for more than 15 minutes.

After playing the game for three years, I can honestly say it won't be a problem. Anet have done a good job of avoiding the issue of maps becoming empty due to population shifts, things like megaserver, map rewards, and other designed systems keep a healthy amount of players going through almost all maps, even Southsun.

Don't make too many snap judgements yet, the game can surprise you.

Krash

Neo Member
Could I get a re-invite please? I've been inactive for a while, but like many of you, the x-pac has me back in action. "Krash.8239". Thanks!

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
I wanna quit my guild and join the GAF guild. How do I do that? If you invite me I promise I'll share my engineer's health turret with you.

5il3nc3r

I'm a bit worried about HoTs, early impressions from my guild mates is not very positive.

Blackdragon joining gaf guild!!!

Wallach

I wanna quit my guild and join the GAF guild. How do I do that? If you invite me I promise I'll share my engineer's health turret with you.

Guild Wars 2 doesn't even require you to do that, you can join multiple guilds and just represent whichever one you want (which allows you to switch back and forth between both guild chats whichever you choose to represent at any given time).

Just post your in-game account handle (if you bring up your social panel in-game it'll be at the top, along the lines of JeffGreen.1234) and someone who has the ability to invite will get one out.

Anno

The Tyrian masteries seem to flow along very well just doing world exploration. I got like 25% of the first Legendary track just by 0-100ing a starting zone, which seems very fair. It certainly makes me much more excited to do the exploration, too.

Really dig the night time horde mode thing in Verdant. It's fun upgrading your little camp and holding out against the nighttime enemies.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
Guild Wars 2 doesn't even require you to do that, you can join multiple guilds and just represent whichever one you want (which allows you to switch back and forth between both guild chats whichever you choose to represent at any given time).

Just post your in-game account handle (if you bring up your social panel in-game it'll be at the top, along the lines of JeffGreen.1234) and someone who has the ability to invite will get one out.

Holy crap--that is amazing! Level 72 and I had no idea. Suddenly "represent" makes sense. :)

Doofaeus.3742 if someone can invite me!

Anno

Holy crap--that is amazing! Level 72 and I had no idea. Suddenly "represent" makes sense. :)

Doofaeus.3742 if someone can invite me!

Yeah it's pretty sweet. You can even have the chat on for all five guilds so you don't even have to miss out on talking to people.

Hedge

Really dig the night time horde mode thing in Verdant. It's fun upgrading your little camp and holding out against the nighttime enemies.

Is that an event? Could you technically bunker down near that and just do a tower defense type thing for hours?

Spyware

So uhm. The only comment I got on my emblem design was a person thinking I had stolen it from another guild so I'll post it again with some explanation I guess.

This is an emblem I created this morning when I saw the discussion about changing to something else. I thought I got the sun thing discussed before, the colors of GAF and still something that looks pretty good on its own too.
f8tbPXF.png

It's on a banner because I prefer previewing it that way in the Emblemer.

Is that an event? Could you technically bunker down near that and just do a tower defense type thing for hours?

It's part of the day/night cycle of the map. The day lasts an hour, so does the night. And yeah, you can bunker down in a rally point, upgrade it using scattered supplies, and try to hold it until the end of night (when the bosses show up, like the big dragon thing).

Hedge

It's part of the day/night cycle of the map. The day lasts an hour, so does the night. And yeah, you can bunker down in a rally point, upgrade it using scattered supplies, and try to hold it until the end of night (when the bosses show up, like the big dragon thing).

Right. Neat. My experience in VB was just hours chasing after tags because I couldn't find anyone. If I ever visit again, maybe I'll try that. Could be fun. If it's solo/duo able.

Taffer

If you're going to change the emblem stay away from anything tribal.

As long as it's not some tribal junk I don't really care what the emblem looks like.

But wings also suck, so...

Out of all the choices there I'd rather just stick with the current one. At least it looks like a red panda.

Pretty much my thoughts, stay away from the tacky tribal stuff, the Gameboy SP was years ago and it looked bad then as well.
If it has to change (and I'd rather it didn't) Spyware's effort is my choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom