• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That_Shaman been datamining some more Elona faces/hairstyles:

We gon' be slaying undeads in Vabbi folks. Better check your Sandals for Sand cuz it's going south!

Very nice to see more Africa inspired games:) Not many games with hairstyles like these!

Ooooh undead? We going to be fighting some Pawala Joko?

Lmo911

what would an Elona charr look like

305px-Awakened_necromancer.jpg

Like this!

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
So GW2 won't let me buy gems again.

No matter the amount or payment option, it just refuses to let me buy any. I know my paypal and banking account are fine, and GW2 does not provide any insight in to what goes wrong and why. I have had this once before and it magically fixed itself back then. Any idea on what might be causing this?

This is frustratiiiiiiing. _(._. )_

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Catching up right now and I must say I'm kinda disappointed with the characters. :/
They are either irredeemable now or they're just off doing other things.

Caithe
handled the whole egg thing spectacularly stupidly back during Heart of Thorns and she never redeemed herself.

Trahearne
I never particularly cared for, but he wasn't insufferable. Now he is dead.

Eir
is dead.

Braham
just went full-on irredeemable asshole. I get that he's not over his mom's death but they've taken it to the point where I'd rather he just face Jormag alone and die vs. coming up with some dumb forced redemption story later.

Rox
is basically anchored to Braham.
Canach
is off somewhere doing things.
Rytlock
Marjory

Logan and Zojja
are still recovering from the pod thing.

Taimi
is also off somewhere doing things but at least she talks to us and she isn't an asshole (yet?).

I gained a lot more appreciation for some of the story elements now that I've played GW1, but it almost feels like ArenaNet just doesn't want me to like the story by making some characters irredeemable and keeping the likeable characters out of the story.

I really like the Bitterfrost Frontier zone though, wish we got more like that. .w.

Massicot

I was actually kinda glad that they gave Logan a somewhat more meaningful role in the last episode. He had basically been sidelined for forever. I love ensemble casts and the more we get to see some of the lesser used characters, the better.

I don't really agree with Canach and Rytlock absence being an issue. They've been involved and I like how their characters are written (helps that they have stellar VAs). Marjory has been a bit absent without a ton of expanation, but yea.

Zojja hasn't done much at all and I feel like you barely know her at all if you don't play and pay attention to the Asura personal story. We get more than enough Taimi though.

As for Braham, I feel like he's supposed to be completely unlikable right now. The true test depends on how they wrap up this character arc for him. Hopefully it will be something a little more nuanced than him just coming to senses and going back to being strong willed straight arrow.

In other news, I am one week away from being done with Faction provisoners for (hopefully) forever. Weirdest/clumsiest currency in the game.

Auraela

Banned
Come back from awhile from.playing for glaring things im seeing.

Alot of the current event achievements the events require a group and im.finding theree no one ever around. Bounties and the ley line events in blazeridge etc.

Unless im looking in wrong area for hold the line achievement.

Also season 3 shall i start from first zone or jump right into ember

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I was actually kinda glad that they gave Logan a somewhat more meaningful role in the last episode. He had basically been sidelined for forever. I love ensemble casts and the more we get to see some of the lesser used characters, the better.
Yeah, seems like I spoke a bit too soon because I hadn't reached (
topless >w>
) Logan and sassy queen yet. So much more enjoyable than Braham being a dick and fighting a dumb ice monster thing. With the White Mantle I at least feel that there is something interesting happening.
I don't really agree with Canach and Rytlock absence being an issue. They've been involved and I like how their characters are written (helps that they have stellar VAs). Marjory has been a bit absent without a ton of expanation, but yea.
I don't think their absence in itself is an issue. They've been involved in the past and it's fine for them to not be part of the main story for a while. My issue is that nothing has really filled the hole they left when they left the story.
Zojja hasn't done much at all and I feel like you barely know her at all if you don't play and pay attention to the Asura personal story. We get more than enough Taimi though.
Agreed. I honestly had to look up Zojja's name purely because I remembered there being another Asura. I just really can't remember anything she did.
As for Braham, I feel like he's supposed to be completely unlikable right now. The true test depends on how they wrap up this character arc for him. Hopefully it will be something a little more nuanced than him just coming to senses and going back to being strong willed straight arrow.
I hope so too.

Random thoughts on the general direction I'd like the story to see go into;

Braham's little crusade against Jormag spectacularly backfires and results in the majority of his Norn hunting party being decimated with him and the survivors being chased far south by Jormag into the Deldrimor Front.

Deldrimor Front zone(s) where we see the last few of the stone Dwarves pushed to the surface by a massive assault from the growing Destroyer army.

We lure Primordus to the Deldrimor Front and Primordus and Jormag face off. This also spectacularly backfires as Primordus easily overpowers Jormag due to having absorbed much more magic from Zaithan and Mordremoth due to his proximity to them.

Primordus heads for the Crystal Desert, now hungry for Kralkatorrik's energy.

Crystal Deserts zone(s) with Forgotten.

We somehow find a way to defeat Primordus shortly after he arrives in the Crystal Desert, after having found a way to contain a major part of the magic to be released upon his death within Aurene - preventing Kralkatorrik from feeding on that magic. The presence of Aurene alerts Kralkatorrik and it goes berserk, also wreaking havok on Palawa Joko's undead armies in the far north reaches of Elona. Palawa is desperate for help and we form an alliance with him to bring down Kralky with Aurene, the Forgotten and Palawa's undead armies.

Northern Elona zone(s).

With Kralky dead, the deep sea dragon is basically supercharged from feeding on all the dead dragons' energies and it begins mounting an assault on Cantha to the south, reverting portions of the Jade Sea to create minions from the creatures within. During this time, we will probably learn of some larger impact that the deaths of the Elder Dragons will have on the world.

Northern Cantha zone(s). A partially flooded Kaineng city. At least one zone that is primarily / entirely underwater.

Deep Sea dragon's death wraps up the main dragon storyline with living story episodes across the entire map focusing on hunting down all the dragons' last luitenants and generals and general dealing with the aftermath of the dragons' deaths. Subsequent living story episodes set up a new threat / Guild Wars 3.

I'm not too sure where to place the White Mantle storyline in all of this, but it's safe to say that it will take us to the Isles of Janthir. Aside from that I could see another season dealing with the Flame Legion and the Charr Homelands.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I was on vacation all week from last Saturday and totally forgot to post I was missing... Oops. But if anyone wants missions tonight, I'll be around and running some at 9:00pm Eastern Time.

Massicot

I bought this over a year ago and only just downloaded it for the first time. I'm playing as a human thief. Just wanted to say hello!

Heya.

Obviously there's a lot to take in when starting any new mmo. The Wiki is the best single resource when starting out.

There's a lot of New Player guides and stuff but it's hard to find one that's up to date since the game changes all the time. This one seems to still be mostly up to snuff. You're not free to play but still some general good information.

Without saying too much, I think the main thing is to just go where you think is interesting, follow the orange colored dynamic events, don't worry too much about sticking only to your "personal story" and home race zones.

Hey GW2 GAF, I have been playing GW2 since release as a solo player, it is my first MMO and I was nervous about getting into any guild, however for this past year I have been into raiding and I find it so much fun to play and interact with other players.

I thankfully remembered we have a guild here and I would like to join, however I play in euro server. Is any of you in eu?

Are you guys interested into raiding?

Massicot

Hey GW2 GAF, I have been playing GW2 since release as a solo player, it is my first MMO and I was nervous about getting into any guild, however for this past year I have been into raiding and I find it so much fun to play and interact with other players.

I thankfully remembered we have a guild here and I would like to join, however I play in euro server. Is any of you in eu?

Are you guys interested into raiding?

This thread is pretty slow now, but I think most anyone's who has participated here in on an NA server, unfortunately. I took a break from Raiding but the newest wing has bought me back a bit. Even after the honeymoon period was over, I still think it's the best wing yet.

Spyware

is there really a point of doing SAB dailies if you already did the 8 run twice?
Depends on if you want the rewards (orange or red weapons, maybe new stuff next time). The daily count is saved for next year so if you do it 4/8 times before it ends now for example, you only need 4 next time to get your first chest.
Or actually, this is just an assumption because it worked like this between last year and now. But I think it's a safe bet it will continue.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Straits of Devastation is the worst Orr map if there are no players playing, thank god for Disguise Kit.

Depends on if you want the rewards (orange or red weapons, maybe new stuff next time). The daily count is saved for next year so if you do it 4/8 times before it ends now for example, you only need 4 next time to get your first chest.
Or actually, this is just an assumption because it worked like this between last year and now. But I think it's a safe bet it will continue.

I guess there is an incentive for continuing the achievement. Though I didn't realize the game was taxing to the engine.

Spyware

What exactly did they do to the lighting? The game looks.. better somehow. But it's a subtle effect. It's there, but subtle.
No idea, but lighting is pretty borked in the whole game for 1080 users since the update. :/ Everything flickers like crazy, SAB is a nightmare.

Edit: It can look like this. Heeelp.

Massicot

I haven't noticed any of those issues. Weird.

Edit: I know it's not helpful for me to say that, but I wonder if it's a W10 creators thing, gpu driver thing, or someone on the game end.

No idea, but lighting is pretty borked in the whole game for 1080 users since the update. :/ Everything flickers like crazy, SAB is a nightmare.

Edit: It can look like this. Heeelp.

It looks fine on my 970 but I do notice a difference. The lighting is most def improved.

Is it possible they are cooking up a larger graphics upgrade with the next expansion? Something I've noticed over the course of many MMO expansions is that there is a psychology at play where the free "base game" improvements are added at the same time as the release of the expansion. WoW is well known for doing this. The mega patch for the base game comes out with all sorts of new bells and whistles, and then the expansion follow shortly.

That's a pretty good way to do it. It makes you feel like you also get the benefits of an improved game even though you didn't buy the expansion. Of course the entire point of making expansions is to have people buy them, but I like to think that it's always been ArenaNets philosophy to make want people to buy expansions because they wanted to, not because they felt forced to.

At the same time, it is- both true of GW1 and GW2, that even if you try to make an equal ground between expansion and non-expansion players, that it will not be fair. In GW1 people got angry and felt ArenaNet were Nazis (at least on GWGuru) when the Flavor of the month builds demanded you had Factions/NF exclusive skills. Same with GW2 and the elite specializations being stronger.

I don't think it's avoidable, but I am happy with how much they have tried to strive towards an equal playing ground, and that is why I love playing GW2 and am happy to continue the game. Good people, good developer, good community. People might take breaks and go on hiatus, but the game is just gold to me, every time I play it.
I don't say it enough about games I really love, but I really love this game, and I am glad I can just go back to it, pick it up and take it down, take it up and take it down.
I also find it rewarding to just keeping logging in for my daily reward:)

Massicot

It looks fine on my 970 but I do notice a difference. The lighting is most def improved.

Is it possible they are cooking up a larger graphics upgrade with the next expansion? Something I've noticed over the course of many MMO expansions is that there is a psychology at play where the free "base game" improvements are added at the same time as the release of the expansion. WoW is well known for doing this. The mega patch for the base game comes out with all sorts of new bells and whistles, and then the expansion follow shortly.

That's a pretty good way to do it. It makes you feel like you also get the benefits of an improved game even though you didn't buy the expansion. Of course the entire point of making expansions is to have people buy them, but I like to think that it's always been ArenaNets philosophy to make want people to buy expansions because they wanted to, not because they felt forced to.

At the same time, it is- both true of GW1 and GW2, that even if you try to make an equal ground between expansion and non-expansion players, that it will not be fair. In GW1 people got angry and felt ArenaNet were Nazis (at least on GWGuru) when the Flavor of the month builds demanded you had Factions/NF exclusive skills. Same with GW2 and the elite specializations being stronger.

I don't think it's avoidable, but I am happy with how much they have tried to strive towards an equal playing ground, and that is why I love playing GW2 and am happy to continue the game. Good people, good developer, good community. People might take breaks and go on hiatus, but the game is just gold to me, every time I play it.
I don't say it enough about games I really love, but I really love this game, and I am glad I can just go back to it, pick it up and take it down, take it up and take it down.
I also find it rewarding to just keeping logging in for my daily reward:)

Only tangentially related, but if you look at prophecies maps/textures in GW1 and compare them to EotN details, it's like night and day. It will be exciting to similarly compare when GW2 is all wrapped up.

The Juggernaut isn't really that hard to craft.

Just that fucking 250 silver doubloons :(

I made mines 6 months after release, Silver Doubloons sold at 20-25silvers, I put my order, in one night got 250...hehehehe

The problem i had, Molten Lodestones were expensive back then...I ran a lot of CoF to get gold to buy the Lodestones..sometimes got lucky and got core too..

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Forgot to post earlier, I'm at my nephew's bar mitzvah so I can't be on tonight for missions! I may be running some tomorrow night instead if anyone happens to be around.

So if there is one episode more after episode 5, Episode 6 should hit in late July/early August.

Could that be the expansion reveal? Question is then, how many months of content draught, from Episode 6 conclusion to Expansion release?

Massicot

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/legendary-armor-is-coming-soon/

Interesting tidbit about difficulties of creating the armor.

The one key premise we've had for legendary armor is that it shouldn't clip with itself. That might sound like a simple thing, but let me tell you—it's far easier said than done. Remember, what we're doing with this armor is different from anything else in the game. The way the models for the Guild Wars 2 characters are made makes it an exercise in compromise. For example, if a player character's hand clips through a skirt, we could move the hand—but the hand now clips through a weapon. We can move the weapon's stow point—but the weapon now floats too far away from the body. We can use a particle effect to hide the gap...but that impacts the frame rate, and so on, and so on. Every change we make has consequences. Where we are now with the armor is the result of hundreds of hours of making similar decisions. There will be clipping—it's the level of clipping that is important.

Note about runes

When you apply an upgrade (rune or infusion) to a piece of legendary armor and there is already an upgrade in the slot you have selected, the existing upgrade will be moved to your inventory and the new upgrade will replace it. Simple as that.

Random quick fire thoughts

• The Rune change is nice, but that means you'd still have to have (likely) 6 spare runes on your character, similar to how you''d have to have 6 spare armors to change before. Though runes stack.
  • In addition to having the runes on hand, you'll still have to change your armor stats individually. (Edit. Maybe there will be a swap all option, I won't assume.)
  • Not to mention, trait changes are still going to be manual until the fabled trait template update.
  • Even if it doesn't gain you much, I wonder if Legendary Weapon sigils will be altered to function like these Runes.

So functionally, you don't really gain a lot with the Armor. I would still swap characters to another that already has the stat sets, traits, and weapons in place (and proper food in their bag). But it's still a nice reward.

Comes with the next episode.

Massicot

Heart of thorn received a permanent price drop. Lineing up for expansion reveal

Just reminded me of this old news post.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pre-purchase-community-address/
In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price.

It leaves wiggle room for plans changing and expansion 2 having some sort of tiering where a higher price may include HoT and a lower price for people with HoT. Or it might just have HoT bundled no matter what.

Wanderer5

I kind of like the light armor. Heavy armor still disappoints me even through the transforming idea is kind of neat.

Still never beaten Matthias, so still on the first collection.=(

Auraela

Banned
just seems backwards to me, lets introduce masteries for making legendary weapon etc then lets lock legendary armours behind raids, like why not put it behind a mastery add something new in that area too

I won't be making Legendary Armor, I don't raid, and have no plans too...I really want to forget HoT ever existed, one of the worst expansion I have ever played for any MMO..

Auraela

Banned
I won't be making Legendary Armor, I don't raid, and have no plans too...I really want to forget HoT ever existed, one of the worst expansion I have ever played for any MMO..

the next expansion will probs have an endgame raid if they are going to keep up with legendary armour behind raids etcs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom