• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanderer5

Oh thank god that while the WvW heroic points that you can trade in to get hero points is soulbound, the rank up chests that they come from are account bound. Glad I don't have to be stuck on my Rev to get points for him there heh.

That guild hall you claimed, are they instanced areas or are they out in the real game world? Would be cool if out in the real game world. Even cooler if you had to defend it every week or fortnight like War of Emperium on Ragnarok Online.

Instance.

Arcteryx

Oh thank god that while the WvW heroic points that you can trade in to get hero points is soulbound, the rank up chests that they come from are account bound. Glad I don't have to be stuck on my Rev to get points for him there heh.

Instance.

I haven't been in WvW yet, but any idea if they have a conversion for WvW Tournament Tickets to Hero Points? That would be...amazzzing!

Unrelated note: omfgIlovethenewhammerskin!!! It's like a stained glass window and has this cool shimmery effect with slightly changing colors,

nr17qszo.png

PLUS!!! dattassel 0_0

Wanderer5

I haven't been in WvW yet, but any idea if they have a conversion for WvW Tournament Tickets to Hero Points? That would be...amazzzing!

Unrelated note: omfgIlovethenewhammerskin!!! It's like a stained glass window and has this cool shimmery effect with slightly changing colors,

PLUS!!! dattassel 0_0

Don't think so, unless I missed a vendor. There the vender that you can trade in heroic points to unlocked a random hero point in either central tyria or maguuma

Crackbone

Any chance I could get a Guild Invite?

Crackbone.5710

Played a ton for a year to a year and a half after launch, Have an 80 necro, 80 Guardian, and am screwing around with Rev now, not sure what I want to play.

Grudy

Does anyone else feel like there's little to no buzz about this expansion around the game's industry/communities? I just asked a couple of my friends if they're planning to come back to try HoT, and they had no idea the expansion was even out. They don't exactly follow gaming news like people here on Gaf do but they generally know the big headlines and releases (even small indie buzzes like indivisible).

I hope Anet doesn't suffer from it, it's a great expansion.

Ashodin

3vOTyb4.png

On August 1st, Guild Wars 2's second expansion will finally be revealed. It will be the fifth anniversary of the game coming up on August 28th.

Here's the official page for the expansion tease: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/expansion/

LIVESTREAMS

WHAT IS THIS?

Guild Wars 2, one of the premier buy to play MMOs* out there, is releasing its second expansion in about three to four months time according to the Game Director Mike O' Brien. Its previous expansion, Heart of Thorns, was released with a lot of polarization to the playerbase; they added a lot of features that some players wanted and others couldn't care less. In spite of this however, they pushed on and worked on what Guild Wars 2 calls its updates as the "Living World", which are new maps, new storylines, and new additions of content and chase items (Legendaries, Armor Skins). Living World Season 3 (which has now just concluded with One Path Ends, the last release of six) has been widely regarded as a success, bringing a lot more new locales and interesting plot points to the post-expansion content.

*The base game of GW2 is free, Heart of Thorns is the only thing you need to buy to get access to all content.

WHAT IS IT GOING TO BE CALLED?

The honorable Linsey Murdock has revealed to us that the supposed subtitle of the expansion is

P______ of F______

Whether that is the case remains to be seen.

IS THERE A GAF THREAD FOR COMMUNITY?

Indeed! Check over here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1128368

I HEARD THIS GAME DOESN'T HAVE THE TRINITY? WHY????

Yes and no. It doesn't have the same trinity as you know it; rather the game deals with aggro based on the heaviness of the class of player, and also there's totally healers. Druids were added as the elite specialization (think prestige classes) of Rangers that can be entirely focused on healing. You shoot lasers to heal people. Other classes can be specced out that way due to the great skill system revamp they did a while back.

Similarly, there's raids and fractals (dungeons) which require a setup similar to tanking and healing (albeit without people being forced into playing a healer forever, similar to FFXIV letting you switch jobs). So the option is there if you want it. The rest of the content is entirely based on you being able to solo effectively and not die, which in itself is the reason a lot of players enjoy the game.

Cooperation is the name of GW2 and its community has been named the friendliest in all MMOs.

In the spirit of that, I'll be around to answer questions about the game should you want to ask them and speculation for the expansion. There are leaks out there, so view them at your discretion.

WHAT KIND OF LEAKS? WHAT'S BEEN LEAKED!?

Mounts, Elona, Vabbi, Elite Specializations for every Profession (all of them), and more.

LEAKED IMAGES: https://imgur.com/a/oTB2W

Basically, beyond that stuff that has been leaked, we know next to nothing otherwise.

So speculation has been fun so far.

I'll be updating the OP as the event goes live with new information and such, trailers, etc.

Let's get hype!

Jira

Time to get back on this for review.

EEfq4Po.gif

Any real difference between a transfer and guesting?

Guesting is effectively useless now. Worlds now only have a meaning depending on where you want to World vs World. Megaservers make all PvE and sPvP maps populate with whoever is playing in a map(prioritizes guild members).

As in you solo'd the guild hall claiming?

Lol no, we had 80-100.

Kalentan

I plan on playing a lot tomorrow. I've been busy with other stuff but not tomorrow. No. Tomorrow after work is Guild Wars 2 time.

Hedge

PLUS!!! dattassel 0_0

What hammer is this?

leng jai

So far there's only two real issues with HoT I can see:

- Stupid amount of HP needed to unlock Elite specs and having some of the VB ones gated behind masteries.

- Barely any new skins (most of which are gem store again) for an expansion.

Emitan

PVT gear doesn't feel like enough on Thief. No matter what I do I'm constantly dying. Meanwhile I can go full glass on Reaper and still feel relatively sturdy. I'm just not enjoying myself on Thief as much in HoT.

Hedge

It scales so you could take it with 5?

You need favor, though. And it requires minimum 3 players to earn. Guilds with two playes (mine) are effectively cut off.

Edit: Assuming he had a solo guild, since he asked if he solo'd it.

ExpansionHype.avi

I bought the game a while ago but I did not even download it. Can someone encourage me to get into the game? I always had the impression that the game (and MMOs in general barring PSO2) revolves around stats, builds, equipment/resources where you run around and "click" abilities or kite enemies from a distance (I admit that I saw tempting melee strategies that abuse some blind effect, teleport and crit. attacks).

Is grinding too much? I don't have that much time to invest on consistent basis, but I can play regularly on weekends.

PVT gear doesn't feel like enough on Thief. No matter what I do I'm constantly dying. Meanwhile I can go full glass on Reaper and still feel relatively sturdy. I'm just not enjoying myself on Thief as much in HoT.

Gotta play Thief in PvE like Floyd Money Mayweather Box's, Jab, Jab, Jab, run, or dagger dagger dagger, dagger skill number 5...

spiritfox

ExpansionHype.avi

I bought the game a while ago but I did not even download it. Can someone encourage me to get into the game? I always had the impression that the game (and MMOs in general barring PSO2) revolves around stats, builds, equipment/resources where you run around and "click" abilities or kite enemies from a distance (I admit that I saw tempting melee strategies that abuse some blind effect, teleport and crit. attacks).

Is grinding too much? I don't have that much time to invest on consistent basis, but I can play regularly on weekends.

GW2 is more action-y than standard MMOs. It's closer to PSO than WoW for that matter. Stats and builds matter, but so does skill. Melee combat is currently better than ranged, and there are many active skills and abilities you can use to defend yourself. There's also no rigid trinity, all classes can play multiple roles in combat, and have to take care of themselves rather than relying on a healer and tank.

Qurupeke

Is there a page that details all the things about Halloween? Things like the events, skins, minis etc that are limited to it.

Spyware

You need favor, though. And it requires minimum 3 players to earn. Guilds with two playes (mine) are effectively cut off.

Edit: Assuming he had a solo guild, since he asked if he solo'd it.
I have a guild with only two active people and got help with a mission to get Favor.
We were doing the WvW mission for GAF and GAFO and afterwards some kind people joined my guild briefly to help claim a camp for that one too. It was really smooth due to the new mission system.
I have free guild slots and Cresc too so if anyone needs people for a mission we could always try to help. I bet other people will too if you ask! :)

I really think they did good work with the guild stuff, even for small guilds. It's easy to borrow people for missions and the hall claiming is easier with fewer people. Sure, the upgrade costs will be huge but it's something to work on for a longer time. I'm satisfied so far!

Proven

No I made it specifically for us just before I posted :(
It's on a banner because you can preview on weapons and banners in the "Emblemer" and the banner has a white background instead of the grey one ifd you pick emblem only.
Oh! I'm sorry!

I actually like the eclipse myself too, it looks very close to the NeoGAF logo while being unique on its own.

Closest I could get to the GAF logo;

I like the one we have now more than any of these alternatives. We picked it as a guild at launch and we've had it for 3 years, no reason to change it now and I'm wondering why it even came up.
I guess I've just never liked it so much, as iconic as it's become. Spyware made a good one, and the one you made has such a great likeness to the GAF logo and with the dragon...

But I guess Ashodin just felt creative and I thought it was an official thing. It'll probably be put to rest after this weekend.

Apparently the Gliding ability is needed to make it to the entrance of this Guild Hall claiming mission, which is something you unlock after a couple of new story missions (if I'm even understanding that right, I haven't touched the new zones or content yet myself). I want to apologize for not looking into this thoroughly enough beforehand to be able to put out a bulletin of what would be necessary for all players that wanted to participate. I was only able to get in at all myself based on the "Teleport to Friend" functionality and we tried to scramble and get as many in as possible with these limits. If you were not able to come due to this, I empathize as I had no idea myself. I made an incorrect assumption that since so many guilds of massively varying sizes would want to do this ASAP, it wouldn't have any progression requirements (or at least any that couldn't be bypassed if some of the guild had them, to be able to bring others through).

If you couldn't attend our claiming event tonight due to this, I encourage you to join us if you can make it tomorrow at 3:00PM EST to claim the other Hall, Gilded Hollow, for our secondary overflow guild GAFO. I have looked into it and it says that for this one you need:
Exalted Mastery Lvl 1
Access to the Auric Basin map.

Again, I'm sorry about this turn of events and hopefully everything from this point forward will be a lot more straightfoward. It is confirmed, at least, that actually accessing the Guild Hall once we have it claimed has no prerequisites and anyone will be able to come explore it.

Gratz on claiming the hall after I left. I apologize to everyone that needed to follow me and my constant running off. I'll try to make it for today's claiming, but I also want to slowly finish Verdant Brink today, so no promises.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
guys guys guys important info on the gating

Hey all,
I just wanted to pop in here real briefly to let you all know that the team discussed the complaints we’ve been seeing here about the masteries gating story progression, and with tomorrow’s patch we’ll be removing the Itzel Poison mastery gate from chapter 14 “Sign Cutting”. If you were already on this step, when you next log in, your story step should automatically advance as though you had earned the mastery. If you haven’t reached this point, you shouldn’t notice anything different (apart from the fact that you can progress the story faster). If you’ve already advanced past this point by earning the mastery, well there’s just no other way to say it: you’re a rock star, and you deserve an ice cold beverage and a toast from the story team at Arenanet! :)
I don’t have an exact ETA on when this fix will go Live, but we just wanted to get the word out there ASAP so that if you’re currently on this step, you might want to wait as you will have the ability to bypass this gate sometime tomorrow.
We wanted to use mastery gating as a way to try and prepare you for the challenges ahead the deeper into the Maguuma that you went, but we realize that in this particular scenario, it ended up not being the experience we wanted for all of you and we wanted to correct it.
See you in the jungle!

Minamu

Hey guys, I'm back from the dead :) I haven't bought HoT yet, not sure when that'll happen to be honest, but someday I will. Maybe for Xmas or after the next paycheck in a few days, not sure what the missus have in mind there. But I was wondering about the new specializations, if I change my mesmer to a chronomancer, is that a permanent change or what's the deal? Like, if I change, can I never use my old skills and traits and get stuck with entirely new chrono things? If not, is there a reason not to get the new specializations for all characters?

hythloday

Hey guys, I'm back from the dead :) I haven't bought HoT yet, not sure when that'll happen to be honest, but someday I will. Maybe for Xmas or after the next paycheck in a few days, not sure what the missus have in mind there. But I was wondering about the new specializations, if I change my mesmer to a chronomancer, is that a permanent change or what's the deal? Like, if I change, can I never use my old skills and traits and get stuck with entirely new chrono things? If not, is there a reason not to get the new specializations for all characters?

The Elite specs are basically specializations you equip and unequip like other parts of your build. It's not permanent.

Tarazet

I'm usually not cheap when it comes to gaming, but since I've heard some people have tried coming back to GW2 and couldn't get into it.. would playing it for free give me a good sense of the direction Anet is going in, or is all the new stuff in the expansion?

Callunah

Neo Member
I agree with Retro on this .... I like the one we have had for the past few years.... why even change it?

Closest I could get to the GAF logo;

I like the one we have now more than any of these alternatives. We picked it as a guild at launch and we've had it for 3 years, no reason to change it now and I'm wondering why it even came up.

Looks like Ike just got you, welcome!

Quenk

I also like the current logo. I agree with (I think) Kos who mentioned changing the GAFO emblem if people really want to design and pick a new one.

Thorgal

I am not against either keeping or changing the old logo but now that the subject is on the table : what is it supposed to look like ? as someone else said , only thing i could make of it is a rising sun over the mountains .

Sorry for the off topic, but do you folks think GW1 and its expansions would be replayable solo these days? I had so much fun back when it came out and I imagine its a ghost town now but I'd like to replay some of that stuff and I wonder if it's even possible and if it's good just playing alone.

Whenever I jump back into GW2 I just get reminded how much I love the worldbuilding Anet does.

I bought and played through all the campaigns for the first time not too long ago and I did a fair bit of it solo, I thought it was really fun :) It's actually a lot less of a ghost town than I thought it would be, there's plenty of people in Kamadan, Lion's Arch, and Embark Beach. A lot of the random outposts are kind of deserted unless they're the daily Zaishen quest, though. There's a few active guilds who still do speedruns and teaching runs and stuff, so if the only thing holding you back is the worry that you'll be alone, no need to worry about that. There are regularly people looking for people to play through the campaigns with on /r/GuildWars so you could poke your head in there and find a friend to play with if you wanted.

Fishious

I'm usually not cheap when it comes to gaming, but since I've heard some people have tried coming back to GW2 and couldn't get into it.. would playing it for free give me a good sense of the direction Anet is going in, or is all the new stuff in the expansion?

Yeah, the free version will give you a good idea of what the game is like. There's a few restrictions like less character slots and bag slots. Also some restrictions on chat and WvW to prevent abuse, but some of these get lifted as you level. A lot has changed since the game launched and most of those changes are reflected in the core game. A sizable amount of new stuff like WvW borderlands, new SPvP mode, Action Camera, etc were added to the core game when the expansion dropped, but don't actually require it. The expansion is mostly more difficult content meant for max level characters, but the core game is still worth doing and still well populated.

Thanks for the INVITE! You guys rock!

So far I am really liking GW2. I have the first and loved it but I only played vanilla GW1 because life got into the way, haha.

Maledict

Question - in the first zone, has anyone successfully completed the Pact Encampment meta-event? It always seems to get stuck at "resolving sylvari loyalty" issues and no-one is able to find out where or what to do .

Very annoying as its the one camp we haven't completed to max out the map meta event multiple times now.

The general discussion forums are a mess right now anyway. It's relentlessly negative. I guess I understand some of their criticisms but I'm absolutely loving the expansion so far.

Soulflarz

Banned
The general discussion forums are a mess right now anyway. It's relentlessly negative. I guess I understand some of their criticisms but I'm absolutely loving the expansion so far.

Yeah, it's the logic of "people loving it aren't making threads saying they love it" so vocal negativity will exist.

Depends how you count, really. Maybe initiated the event 4 or 5 times in total? When we first started the event we had ~140 or whatever and the way the event was designed made it such that having so many people was just too hard to handle. It was too easy for specific objectives to fall through the cracks and for others to have waaaay too many people near them and scale to unreasonable levels.

Once we had it down to like, 60 people, where we had a more countable number of groups, it took like 2 more tries after resetting the map.

Also as I said in the chat, when we had 130-140, we had the issue of dozens not having glide in positions that needed glide or even updraft. Once we had half that and basically everyone had the unlocks needed, it was very easy :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom