• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Next page for 100 post people

Just quoting what retro said

Spoiler tag heart of thorns story discussion. So far all good though:D

Work for another 13 hours

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Next page for 100 post people

Just quoting what retro said

Spoiler tag heart of thorns story discussion. So far all good though:D

Work for another 13 hours

You're supposed to be testing Blade!

Sonicbug

Early reports are that the Mac (forever beta) client is crashing every ten minutes on the new HoT maps on any setting except the lowest. (I'm at work so I can't confirm yet, but that's what they were doing during the beta so I'm not surprised.) Another new area, another new memory leak, another day with the crippled cider wrapper.

Hopefully I can manage a very ugly run with the guild for the Guild Hall claiming tomorrow without crashing.
(I knew this would happen, and I bought the expansion anyway. *sigh*)

Anno

Any feedback on how the open world monsters feel? I enjoyed the difficulty in BWE1&2 and heard that they may have been toned down a bit in the third weekend but also maybe by mistake. Looking forward to the open world actually being somewhat scary again.

I have't played GW2 since it first launched.

I had a Char Engineer, which I pretty much hated and didn't bother going back.

Have they revamped the classes much since then?

I might give the game another shot.

Proven

Heh. I go and take a break, read the rest of the patch notes, and look dumb for it.

Fake Edit: Okay, I wrote this whole long post, but someone on Reddit got all the information while I was asleep. Reading it over, I had forgotten a mention in the patch notes that they took Marauder and Crusader from PvP and decided to add them into PvE with Heart of Thorns. If you want to know the PvP equivalent, just know the quad stat spread is 1050, 1050, 560, 560. So, here you go. Do not go into the link if you don't want to know what the new elite profession Runes are!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3pwdzu/new_stats_and_specialization_runes/

If for some reason you don't want to know the stat sets too, I'm going to spoiler them out. Although, you might as well skip this post.

There are 8 new stat sets, all of which have a spread of four different stats instead of the three that we're accustomed to.
On a level 80 mainhand Legendary/Ascended quality weapon, the old three-stat spread are distributed 125/90/90. The new four-stat spreads are distributed as 108/108/59/59.
There are two new stats: Concentration (Boon Duration) and Expertise (Condition Duration).
Marauder: Power, Precision, Ferocity, Vitality.
Crusader: Power, Toughness, Ferocity, Healing Power.
Wanderer: Power, Vitality, Toughness, Concentration.
Minstrel: Toughness, Healing Power, Vitality, Concentration.
Commander: Power, Precision, Toughness, Concentration
Viper: Power, Condi, Precision, Expertise
Trailblazer: Toughness, Condi, Vitality, Expertise
Vigilant: Power, Tougness, Concentration, Expertise

PvP has 6 out of 8 of them: Marauder (old), Crusader (old),
Minstrel, Viper, Vigilant, and Wanderer.

I'm being a little extra cautious about this, just in case. This will be the closest I come to posting any spoilers for the week; I'm saving any thoughts about the new content to myself, and I also doubt the thread will be moving slow enough for me to keep up with in between game sessions. Technically, the PvP stuff is public info, and you're able to craft the rest of this stuff if you go looking for the method in PvE, but part of me feels like I'm ruining surprises.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I guess I'll check my local shop if they have retail.

I take it the retail is the "standard" edition with no free char slot?

Retro

I have't played GW2 since it first launched.

I had a Char Engineer, which I pretty much hated and didn't bother going back.

Have they revamped the classes much since then?

I might give the game another shot.

It's been 3 years, and ArenaNet iterates on their designs constantly, so all of the professions have received a ton of changes.

I guess I'll check my local shop if they have retail.

I take it the retail is the "standard" edition with no free char slot?

I would imagine so, I wasn't even aware there were retail copies but, I guess there would have to be, right?

Just got my glider. This is awesome:

PPZBvN8.jpg

Fishious

Any feedback on how the open world monsters feel? I enjoyed the difficulty in BWE1&2 and heard that they may have been toned down a bit in the third weekend but also maybe by mistake. Looking forward to the open world actually being somewhat scary again.

Feels closer to BWE 2 than 3. In 3 I was rolling over everything with unoptimized, heal specced druid. Now I've already died several times on Valkyrie stat Reaper. If you approach groups carefully it's not too bad, but events can be brutal. I blame people not WPing when dead and leaving me to solo the Champion Mordrem sniper :/. It did not go well for me.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
There's quite a lot of new armor in the game, especially in the expansion. I don't have any site that's up to date (other than the wiki, if you want to look), but the in-game Wardrobe allows you to preview everything in the game if you want to look around.

There's now a way to obtain Legendaries without relying on luck / cash where you basically wander the world crafting it by performing various achievements.

As far as stats go, that's always been the case; all of your active defensive options (stuff like blind, aegis, skills that block and dodging) are more important than your stats, so if you want to be survival-oriented it's more important to instead focus on weapon choice, utility skills and traits, then round things out stat-wise from there. For what it's worth, though, Toughness seemed to be the main factor in getting the raid boss we fought in beta to stick to someone, so depending on how raids work in general it might become the de facto "Tanking" stat (in so far as there's anything resembling tanking in GW2).

Thanks for answering my questions! I appreciate it.

Proven

Fighting an enemy 1v1 is easy unless it's a Mordrem and they catch you napping. However, enemies looooove to come at you in groups, and at that point you better run, dodge, and find some cover or else you're dead. I'm finding Berserker Longbow to be useful just because I can carpet bomb an area with flame 3-4 times per Berserker mode cooldown.

Also, this is so far just on my Warrior who had map completion and therefore 200+ points, but using only a partially done elite specialization line still feels fun. It helped me aggressively figure out what I can cut from my build in order to survive, and what I absolutely wanted but could be substituted. I still need to train a Dragonhunter, Daredevil, and Reaper, the ones I'm most excited to play, but it can wait until I do the story for at least the first map with my warrior and unlock some Masteries.

Baleoce

Desperately trying to think of a surname for my revenant, gaaah. Hate this part. Especially as the renaming charge is so steep.

Btw, has anyone else got their extra character slot yet? (Not talking about the ones from the deluxe edition etc.). I bought standard edition before release date, and had a registered copy of the base game before Jan 2015, so was apparently eligible for an extra character slot. But it hasn't turned up yet, even though all the expansion content is there.

Boss Doggie

Yeah it's gonna be a code sold at retail. I'd rather have it that way anyway, since we get third world country discounts~

and then I'll just have to trade my gold for gems to upgrade to digital deluxe

Anno

Desperately trying to think of a surname for my revenant, gaaah. Hate this part. Especially as the renaming charge is so steep.

Btw, has anyone else got their extra character slot yet? (Not talking about the ones from the deluxe edition etc.). I bought standard edition before release date, and had a registered copy of the base game before Jan 2015, so was apparently eligible for an extra character slot. But it hasn't turned up yet, even though all the expansion content is there.

The description says the new slots are being added 'weekly' so I guess maybe they just all appear every certain day? If you don't have it in a week probably just put in a support ticket, but I imagine it'll appear soon.

Retro

Can i get an invite to the GAF guild please?

Just invited you, welcome aboard!

Just got my glider. This is awesome:

Man.... I didn't realize until right now just how much I missed your screenshots, and how much I'm looking forward to all of the ones you'll take in the jungle.

Thanks for answering my questions! I appreciate it.

No problem, that's what we're here for.

Did anyone get ya in yet?

Yeah, Ike got him last night.

Proven

Yeah it's gonna be a code sold at retail. I'd rather have it that way anyway, since we get third world country discounts~

and then I'll just have to trade my gold for gems to upgrade to digital deluxe
Just checking, but I don't think you can upgrade to Heart of Thorns digital deluxe with gems. You mean the original digital deluxe upgrade?

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Okay so how's the Halloween stuff someone tell me what to do asap since it's time limited and I am short on time these days

Ferny

Just thought you all (the newer people mostly) that Retro is FKN awesome and be happy that you have this man in your community.

That is all!

Asura's rule

Boss Doggie

Man.... I didn't realize until right now just how much I missed your screenshots, and how much I'm looking forward to all of the ones you'll take in the jungle.

I'm so out of practice, I forgot to add -bmp to my shortcut, so I took a bunch of terrible jpgs.

OopxLvb.jpg

Qurupeke

After a few hours... I haven't played HoT yet. Halloween is the first real event I see in the game(that Mordrem thing doesn't count), and it's amazing. I love it. I had fun in the labyrinth and beating Mad King.

Trey

so what's the fastest way to gain levels and loot during halloween? i have a few alts to level, and i ran out of tomes of knowledge.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So they're combining HoT launch with Halloween huh?
Already did in fact! It's a little overwhelming haha. I have to remember to do my precious Clock Tower before it's gone.
so what's the fastest way to gain levels and loot during halloween? i have a few alts to level, and i ran out of tomes of knowledge.
The Labyrinth is pretty cray for XP and can be done at any level. I'll definitely be looking to run it a bit with my Revenant...

Also, not sure if Ascent to Madness counts as a "real dungeon" for XP purposes? It's super short.
After a few hours... I haven't played HoT yet. Halloween is the first real event I see in the game(that Mordrem thing doesn't count), and it's amazing. I love it. I had fun in the labyrinth and beating Mad King.
And you love the clock tower even more, right? RIGHT? ;)

edit:

Hmm, are neither Reaper's Rumble or the other one back? Whyyyy

Already did in fact! It's a little overwhelming haha. I have to remember to do my precious Clock Tower before it's gone.

The Labyrinth is pretty cray for XP and can be done at any level. I'll definitely be looking to run it a bit with my Revenant...

Also, not sure if Ascent to Madness counts as a "real dungeon" for XP purposes? It's super short.

And you love the clock tower even more, right? RIGHT? ;)

edit:

Hmm, are neither Reaper's Rumble or the other one back? Whyyyy

Hawkian, can you do all the Halloween events at any level? Or just the jumping puzzle? Also, can you obtain those cool Halloween skins at any level as well?

GJS

Because Lump donated 80g to Gilded Hollow (inflating the actual tally) the LOST PRECIPICE will be our Guild Hall!

Checking things out at the Guild Initiative HQ, we will need these items donated to the guild bank (TREASURE TROVE) to help build things once we take the Guild Hall.

omfZqd6.gif

Elder Wood Plank, Mithril Ingot, Bottle of Elonian Wine, Empty Keg (made by cooks), Glass Mug (made by jewelers), Obsidian Shards, Bolt of Silk, Cured Thick Leather Square, Bolt of Gossamer, and Cured Hardened Leather Square.

Donate what you can when you can!

We'll be using 150 Favor and 100 Gold to mount the expedition on Saturday.

Also a reminder to those newcomers

If we run out of guild space, it's no worries! We have GAFO still available, and with cross-guild chat, you won't have to worry about being left out of the loop! However, we still have about 90 spots left, so I doubt we'll run out any time soon! Unless we get a flood of people D:

Is there a set amount of these we need?

Anno

Hawkian, can you do all the Halloween events at any level? Or just the jumping puzzle? Also, can you obtain those cool Halloween skins at any level as well?

Yes to all. You're scaled up for the parts that actually involve fighting. It'll be more difficult than if you were actually 80 but just stay ranged and you can position yourself to safety. I think most of the skins come from the Trick or Treat bags which you can get through achievements, Halloween stuff or just buying them from the TP. I think they're mostly trade able as well so they'll probably get cheap soon.

Man these Auric weapons look great. Might be my new greatsword.

Yes to all. You're scaled up for the parts that actually involve fighting. It'll be more difficult than if you were actually 80 but just stay ranged and you can position yourself to safety. I think most of the skins come from the Trick or Treat bags which you can get through achievements, Halloween stuff or just buying them from the TP. I think they're mostly trade able as well so they'll probably get cheap soon.

Man these Auric weapons look great. Might be my new greatsword.

Thanks!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Good job Lump XD
Everything Halloween is level-agnostic and the Labyrinth is suuuper good XP at any level.

JSoup

Banned
Been playing the basic version for about a week and a half now, pretty good. GW2 was described to me as a no stress MMO. Play and progress as I like, no problem. Very un-WoW-like in that regard.

Not sure that I'm ready to sink money into the expansion/full account yet. Let's see how I feel once I've hit 70 and the story gets interesting again.

Boss Doggie

Hmm so you can now auto-attack/quick attack with ground targeting due to "Snap Target to Ground"? This will make grenading easier to manage if it is true.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I need to hurry up and get to 80 :O

No combat revamp in this expansion? Oh well :(

I think the Action Camera along with the new Specializations and stats, are kind of a combat revamp with all put together. Not sure what combat revamp you were expecting? There wasn't anything announced, beyond what we got with the xpac today.

It's taking me a while to get used to how the game plays now, with AC on.

I need to hurry up and get to 80 :O

Take your time, don't rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom