• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Made A Fake Tinder Profile To Prove That Girls Never Think Hot Dudes Are Creepy

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayDead

I'm tall (6"5) but I've suffered from major self confidence issues since I was young. I've had people say I'm handsome before, but never managed to even ask anyone out before. My lack of confidence makes it impossible for me to even try, I shoot myself in the foot before I even make the first step.

It sucks. I know I'm certainly not good looking, but I wouldn't say I'm terrible looking either. Growing a beard has helped.

One day my confidence will get better I guess if I just act it.

I had a friend in high school who had similar issues as me (anxiety, depression, possibly crazy) that had model good looks. He still had problems with women, but they definitely approached him more than me.

He was a cool guy.

Last time i was using online dating one girl suddenly threw a fit of rage when I mentioned I watched Sherlock (tv show) because the director apparently didnt align with her "feminist ideals" or something.

that and everyones profile saying they have a "bubbly personality" among other things, none of it ever seemed real

I had a friend in high school who had similar issues as me (anxiety, depression, possibly crazy) that had model good looks. He still had problems with women, but they definitely approached him more than me.

He was a cool guy.

Man, I had a friend in college who stayed in the same dorm hall as me, and all the girls I knew thought he was so fine and ask for me to hook them up. The problem was he had this very strong country accent, and his personality was kinda lame. So every time I'd introduce a girl to him in order to hook him/her up, I kid you not in 5 minutes or less after speaking in private, the girl would come back to me and say, "Nah, I'm good". LOL

The funny thing is he finally got a girlfriend, and my God was he so overprotective of her and thought every guy was trying to get at her. They we'rent, but we use to fuck with him just to see him hulk out, by whistling at her when they were both walking in the hall, and then hiding in the bathroom to watch his reaction of him excessive breathing and ready to punch the first guy who looks remotely guilty of it. LOL

jackal27

Banned
Can confirm. I get told I'm attractive a lot, but I didn't really notice how attractive girls found me until I was in high school and got a little fit. I could literally get girls to do anything and still be the hugest jerk.

What a freaking scumbag the person I used to be was. Fuck that guy.

Bro, as someone who is bi, I'm fucking glad I don't have to deal with the gay dating scene since I'm romantically attracted to women. There's a whole 'nother level of bullshit you have to put up with. But yeah, getting sex is eaaasy.

I guess everyone has different experiences. I'm bi and I've had way more success and good dates with men than any women. Heteronormativity is a plague on the world and I'm glad I don't have to deal with that bullshit.

IMO heteronormativity and straight people being obsessed with gender roles is considerable worse than a lot of the BS you have to deal with in the gay dating world. But it depends on if you enjoy playing the role of your gender I suppose. I definitely do not.

DevilFox

Oh also,

Uh-huh...

Fucking. Amazing.
Would you describe yourself as a "nice guy"?
The whole post is a gold mine.

And this is why I normally don't waste my time around here.
Let me just reply to the first guy then gtfo: girls have a harder time than men admitting what they really want and for a good number of reasons, one being society as I say later. They will, convincingly, lie, and for a lot of guys that will come off as double standards. As a matter of fact, I see it more as lack of transparency which results in distrust.
As for the rest, have fun swimming in your golden intellectual superiority. I'd love to be less polite but ehi, rules.

Be interesting in those two minutes and you'll be granted more time. Be wack, and well, you get what's been happening to you.

Eta- rejection is an inevitability. Just gotta work around it.

This is not about casual sex anymore and I'll say very common things here, sorry.
Sometimes you don't even get those 2 minutes, though. Sometimes it really is about "yes or no", at a glance. Yes, I'll give him / her a chance, or No I will not. I did it as well. And if it's "no", it gets crazy hard to get a chance, no matter what you do / say / prove. Is that a consequence of sex being easier to get?
Also, I wonder: why would you do that? To give someone an opportunity can change everything. It's just a mental thing. Even if it doesn't work in that direction, you might find a friend. I did this too. Little side note: I remember a TED talk of a woman who run her algorithm on a dating site database to find her ideal partner by playing on key factors.. I never thought I could hate a TED talk before that one.
Rejection is, of course, part of the game. However, what dating apps are doing (although I have no experience with them) is to take this "at first glance" approach to the extreme. They're playing down potential human relationships, of any kind, at the move of a finger. The idea of Tinder to "swipe left or right" like it's a market of persons is kinda creepy to me. Easy, fast, but creepy. What you write in the bio and show with pics is nothing more than a marketing decision (plus lies) and it feels off to me. In addition, there's a whole bunch of problems with dating apps that directly translate into real life way too often, but I know they've been addressed more than once here on gaf.
Me personally, I still love to get there and say hi, see how it goes. She might be beautiful or just ok but I'll never know if I like her or not based on looks alone. To think about it, I would have not matched a couple of my ex if I used Tinder. Good thing I didn't because one of them is a very close friend now, 9 years later.

Back to the OP and casual sex: it's undeniable that women have higher standards. It's also undeniable that they will hardly admit it and talk about it for a number of reasons, one being the fear of judgement, which is totally understandable and deserve a thread itself. However, for a guy who tries hard and gets rejected, that's still a lie. She keeps talking about personality, how she loves the little attentions etc, he gives her all and yet a hot guy comes in and take her away in a blink of a eye, effortlessly. At one point there's a chance he starts to feel bad and think crazy stuff like "I'm not enough" or lose confidence. We know this happens a lot. Men are, with pros and cons, a lot more forthright in this matter.
This is why these "social experiments" are so hilarious to me, same as some Facebook pages that repost chat screens and stuff. They show behaviours we're aware of, that for some reason we like to pretend are different.

I thought this was known. Everyone does it, not just women on hook up apps. We're told not to judge a book by its cover, but that's not how the mind works. We constantly make assessments and value judgements out of everything we perceive.

The truth is that the farther you deviate from societies beauty standards, the harder you have to work to get others interested in building a relationship with you. I wouldn't call it a good thing or fair, but that's reality.

vordhosbn

Banned
So you're saying because lots of women can be slutty for a hot guy that was an asshole to them, that means all women forgive creepiness if the guy is attractive enough? Fuck outta here with those generalizations. This kinda shit is why I'm reluctant to do what I want and have NSA sex with guys as I please, because they might be like "man this bitch was just ready to go, women are fucking whores"

If he's attractive he probably already thinks that way though.

10.png
Gosh, unlike those other sluts using a hookup app to hookup, this classy respectable lady prefers coffee before being fucked in the butt

It's best not to be consumed by it, or use it as a way to put down people.

I get jealous a lot; sometimes I do it in a harmful way, and other times it motivates to be a better person.

Right, there are those that get jealous and use it as a motivation to be better, others get consumed by it and become very bitter people, as we see here

Life is too short to hold any jealousy

Well I mean if you're constsntly offering to eat them out... women like head just as much as guys, even mediocre looking ones. If only I liked cunnilingus.

Grug

I'm so glad I found my eventual wife way back in the relatively unterrifying dating era of 2001.

It has been bizarre observing the evolution of online dating rituals in the period since. I find it all utterly intimidating and brutal.

Pretty confident that if my marriage ever falls over I will happily consign myself to a life of solitude rather than dip my toe in these terrifying waters.

I'm so glad I found my eventual wife way back in the relatively unterrifying dating era of 2001.

It has been bizarre observing the evolution of online dating rituals in the period since. I find it all utterly intimidating and brutal.

Pretty confident that if my marriage ever falls over I will happily consign myself to a life of solitude rather than dip my toe in these terrifying waters.
It's not that bad, and it's way more convenient, IMO. Some people might have trouble with it, but people has trouble with the scene in 2001, too. There are always going to be people with hang-up and anxiety about the dating scene, no matter what form it takes.

akira28

the premise doesn't completely translate, because women can be really attractive, but if they show negative social feedback... like they can't really be creepy, but they can be abusive or misdirecting, and not many men will really put up with that for long. (Because practically we know nothing is going to happen.)

Some women will allow attractive men to push past their safety and comfort zones for different reasons. Its one thing to be made a little uncomfortable, and its something else to feel unsafe, and not a lot of women will stand for their safety to be put at risk. But they will put up with some attractive guy being cheeky, or even pushy, or direct. Some see that as a positive trait. But to be dangerously aggressive to the point of being really creepy and not just exaggerating someone performing outside of current casual norms, I don't really see that happening here.

tldr; no creepy women, and if they were creepy, then probably some creepy guys would be messaging them cause they're into that

What sucks about Tinder for me is that ik I'm in the attractive zone but race is a factor for a good amount of people here. Definitely moving to a coastline when I get the chance cause I'm attracted to all races and the people here majority don't see things the same as

No. This is wrong and you should be ashamed of yourself for perpetuating this lie.

Again this is a dating/hookup app. Of course an attractive person will find more success even with poor "tactics" than an unattractive one. This has nothing to do with harassment.

Nope. Nice try, Morrigan.

I think you need a refresher on sexual harassment in the workplace before you go levying "you should be ashamed" declarations: https://vimeo.com/30042289

DR2K

Banned
You mean if people are attracted to you, they'll be more open to sexual advances? We must name this brand new science.

Assanova

What sucks about Tinder for me is that ik I'm in the attractive zone but race is a factor for a good amount of people here. Definitely moving to a coastline when I get the chance cause I'm attracted to all races and the people here majority don't see things the same as

I'm in the Midwest and race isn't much of a factor. If you are attractive and have your life together, getting women is like shooting fish in a barrel because there is almost no competition from other men of your race.

i get away with alot of stuff when i'm well groomed (nice haircut) and iron my shirt.

but get the creep looks if i try the same stuff looking like a bum.

Would not have stood a chance at all with my second wife had it not been for online dating. Most of the trouble comes from inexperience in relationships and people looking for easy sex. Obviously I was tracking older than most people so I'd be able to avoid the early 20's drama. It's not so bad, if you're normal.

As an ugly man, I very upset and wouldn't be surprised by the truthiness of such a thing

Just gotta shrug the jealousy off. Or beat it off?

I'm in the Midwest and race isn't much of a factor. If you are attractive and have your life together, getting women is like shooting fish in a barrel because there is almost no competition from other men of your race.

It is a factor because your pool shrinks a lot when being a non-white male. You can be a unicorn but still be looked over due to race. That goes anywhere. But without a ton of same race competition, the far smaller than coastal pool of the ones who do date non-whites are more available, so hopefully you can snag. You should be able to if you're average looking.

But you know the college town of Ames, IA served me way better than all of Wisconsin.

You should ask 'how short?' lol. I'm 164cm (~5'4"), so in the realm of not just short but VERY short. I've learned to live with its implications though, I know things like online dating and clubs/bars do not work in my favour so when I'm not in a crippling depression caused partially by that fact I try other things (just meeting people the 'normal' way, meetUp, etc.)
I hear you. I'm pretty much the same height and it really bothers me because it's something I have no control over (unlike say, being overweight), it's a result of genetic makeup (my parents are tiny), and it's basically the "great filter" when it comes to dating. That "my face when his height starts with 5" tweet comes to mind.

I've learned to live with it and tried to wise up to the fact that there's nothing I can do about it, but eh, it's hardly ideal.

Apathy

I mean it's pretty well known. Whats funny is checking out girls profiles on tinder. Like 95% of them say "I'm not looking for a one night stand/hook up" when in reality yeah they are, it's tinder, if some model type asked they would say yes.

Two Words

It's not that bad, and it's way more convenient, IMO. Some people might have trouble with it, but people has trouble with the scene in 2001, too. There are always going to be people with hang-up and anxiety about the dating scene, no matter what form it takes.
Also, be white.

PixelatedBookake

I would like to think being African hasn't had an effect on Tinder, but being that I have yet to actually meet up with anyone using the app that I actually was attracted too, that must mean either I'm bad at bios, or girls aren't into guys whose names they can't pronounce ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, be white.
That was the same in 2001, too. If anything, one of the most important things the Internet has done is help provide a platform for disadvantaged groups and help connect them in ways that used to be more inconvenient or effectively impossible. A lot of early specialized dating websites helped cut through that bias by catering specifically to minority groups that were otherwise overlooked and under-served. That doesn't change the racial bias on Tinder or other popular apps today, but I believe it's easier and more convenient for minorities today than it was in 2001, too.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I would like to think being African hasn't had an effect on Tinder, but being that I have yet to actually meet up with anyone using the app that I actually was attracted too, that must mean either I'm bad at bios, or girls aren't into guys whose names they can't pronounce ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have 91 matches on tinder. Not super sure race is a factor. I mean obviously it is. But it doesn't seem as harsh on Tuesday as on other dating apps/sites. >_>

I'm tall (6"5) but I've suffered from major self confidence issues since I was young. I've had people say I'm handsome before, but never managed to even ask anyone out before. My lack of confidence makes it impossible for me to even try, I shoot myself in the foot before I even make the first step.

It sucks. I know I'm certainly not good looking, but I wouldn't say I'm terrible looking either. Growing a beard has helped.

One day my confidence will get better I guess if I just act it.

Well, real talk...it's not your lack of confidence, but that you're probably afraid to feel like an idiot if you get shot down. The only way you'll get confidence is if you ask someone out and they say yes. So really, all you need to do is get over being afraid of possible rejection and just ask someone. Who cares if they say no? Sure it'll sting a bit, but life demands a bit of risk.

But as far as prospects, you already have a leg, or half a leg, up on most guys, as many women love tall men.

Future

Hot chicks get away with everything too. Probably more.

Being attractive = win in pretty much everything in life. Easy to get laid. Easy to make friends. Easy to get jobs. I mean sure they still gotta try, but not nearly as hard as an average or god forbid ugly looking person

kaioshade

Eh this study pretty much sums up human nature.

As an butt ugly mofo, i have learned my place in this world, and just try to do my best in this minefield called life.

i'm doing alright at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom