• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney Anime) |OT| Eat your hamburgers, Naruhodo-kun

Status
Not open for further replies.
bubble-holdit.gif

THIS THREAD IS FOR DISCUSSION OF THE ANIME ONLY. DO NOT POST SPOILERS FOR THE GAMES, EVEN IF YOU TAG THEM. Let people who haven't played the games enjoy the show. If you wish to discuss the show and its relation to the games, you can do so in the Ace Attorney community thread, or the Spring Anime OT.

Do not link to any sites where you can "unofficially" watch the show, and do not discuss them here either. Follow the ToS.

lQtkd15.png

Director: Ayumu Watanabe (Space Brothers)
Series Composition: Tomioka Atsuhiro (Inazuma Eleven, Brave Beats)
Music: Kaoru Wada (Casshern Sins, D.Gray-man, Princess Tutu)
Studio: A-1 Pictures

Synopsis

Ryuuichi Naruhodou is a rookie defense lawyer standing up to save his clients by proving their innocence from strange cases!

With the help of his partner Mayoi Ayasato and his mentor Chihiro Ayasato, he'll use whatever evidence he can find to see through a witness' lies and stand up against rival prosecutor Reiji Mitsurugi, who will stop at nothing to get a guilty verdict.

bubble-objection.gif

Characters

Ryuuichi Naruhodou (Phoenix Wright)
Voice Actor: Yuki Kaji (Eren from Attack on Titan, Sonic from One Punch Man)

A rookie defense lawyer who will stop at nothing to prove his client's innocence.

Mayoi Ayasato (Maya Fey)
Voice Actor: Aoi Yuuki (Madoka from Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Kayo from ERASED)

A spirit-medium in training who works alongside Ryuuichi and helps him in his investigations and in court.

Chihiro Ayasato (Mia Fey)
Voice Actor: Chie Nakamura (Sakura from Naruto)

Ryuuichi's mentor, and the older sister of Mayoi. She taught everything Ryuuichi knew about being a great lawyer.

Keisuke Itonokogiri (Dick Gumshoe)
Voice Actor: Masami Iwasaki

An underpaid detective who means well, but isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Reiji Mitsurugi (Miles Edgeworth)
Voice Actor: Masashi Tamaki

Ryuuichi's rival, and a genius prosecutor, who began his career when he was 20, and has maintained a perfect record of guilty verdicts since.

Masashi Yahari (Larry Butz)
Voice Actor: Tooru Nara

Ryuuichi's childhood friend, who is a slacker and has problems with women. He is Ryuuichi's first client.

FAQ

Where can I watch it?

The show is available to watch on Crunchyroll, worldwide except Asia.

How much of the series is the show going to adapt?

Right now, it's very likely that the show will adapt the first two games. Whether there will be a break in between seasons for the third game is yet to be confirmed.

Will the subtitles use the localized names?

By default, the subtitles will use the Japanese names.

If you want the localized names, right click on the video and change the subs to the Alt Track.

Will this get a dub?

I'd say it's likely, but nothing's been confirmed yet.

The simulcast is at 7:00 A.M EST Every Saturday starting on April 2.

phoenix-nodding.gif
edgeworth-bow(a).gif

Jintor

HOLD IT!

Honestly I can't say I really think this is gonna be great based on the previews, but fuck it, I'll give it a shot.

I can't believe this is finally happening after so long.

I hope the show will be good, even though the animation in the previews didn't seem too hot.

D-Man

Even though I'm bothered by the fact that Crunchyroll isn't using the localized names (like, come on, man), I'm still looking forward to this. I've been waiting for this series to get an anime for so long and I still can't believe it's finally happening.

HOLD IT!

Honestly I can't say I really think this is gonna be great based on the previews, but fuck it, I'll give it a shot.

It looks like the blandest shit imaginable, but for super-fans who just want to see their favorite characters again I guess it'll be acceptable.

This will prob be bad but whatever lets go

Even though I'm bothered by the fact that Crunchyroll isn't using the localized names (like, come on, man), I'm still looking forward to this. I've been waiting for this series to get an anime for so long and I still can't believe it's finally happening.

What do you expect them to do? Use the English names when the voice actors will be saying something different? Its not like JoJo where they have a legal reason.

This claim is as baseless as the bullying lobby.

So it's grounded in absolute fact?

It looks like the blandest shit imaginable, but for super-fans who just want to see their favorite characters again I guess it'll be acceptable.

Yeah, the stuff they've shown looks really bland...

But just wait until the production goes through an Ace Attorney like turnabout and becomes amazing starting in Episode 5!

Why do people think it'll be bad? I was looking forwards to it.

The preview footage has looked really bland in terms of the art direction, and the animation has not seemed stellar. They haven't shown a lot, granted, but what they've shown has not really been inspiring.

I'm sure the story will all be there, and Kaoru Wada is a great composer, but there are a lot of warning signs when it comes to the visuals.

FluxWaveZ

UM5F97P.gif

Excited. Unfortunately, I'm not all that confident it'll be a great adaptation, but I'm sure it'll at least have its memorable moments and that's enough. After 15 years. this series finally gets an anime adaptation, and that's remarkable on its own.

Swamped

Banned
I always wondered why this wasn't already an anime. Super excited, although I haven't seen any of the previews yet.

The animation looks sub-par, but regardless, I'm super excited.

I've been waiting years for this series to get an anime, and I cannot wait until we get to some of my favourite cases.

D-Man

What do you expect them to do? Use the English names when the voice actors will be saying something different? Its not like JoJo where they have a legal reason.

Well considering this series is pretty well established in the West, using the localized names regardless of what the VAs are saying wouldn't be that big of a deal, imo. I'd even say that the Phoenix Wright name as a brand is much more recognizable than Ace Attorney.

Either way, it's just a minor complaint that won't affect my thoughts on the show in the long run. I just wanna see the story be told via a new medium. It'll be fun enough.

Well considering this series is pretty well established in the West, using the localized names regardless of what the VAs are saying wouldn't be that big of a deal, imo. I'd even say that the Phoenix Wright name as a brand is much more recognizable than Ace Attorney.

Either way, it's just a minor complaint that won't affect my thoughts on the show in the long run. I just wanna see the story be told via a new medium. It'll be fun enough.

I'm looking at this through the lens of "Ok, how much did the localization for the game really change things" so the names being the Japanese versions don't bother me much. Although I like the English names better, I never expected CR to use 'em. In the thread I will just refer to them by the English names since I assume most people will.

FluxWaveZ

As an Ace Attorney fan, that would be much better for me. I have no idea how they'll handle stuff like "When something smells, it's usually the Butz" or the slew of other puns that the series is known for, but communicating those in English. Either they'll have a bunch of translator notes, or they'll just not bother communicating the Japanese specific puns to an English audience, and neither of those are too great.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I hope the soundtrack is as good as the games.

shira

I think a lot of my enjoyment came from the excellent localization work. Not sure if it is going to ring true with the original source material.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
How many eps is this running? Covering the first 3 games in one season could be pushing it, unless they decide to skip some of the intermediate cases.

This anime could be bad, but if they get to Godot it will at least go up a few points.

And a few more points if he is voiced by Hideki Kamiya.

XiaNaphryz

Currently, the anime has only been announced to cover the first two games in the series.

The OP mentions covering the trilogy, does that mean they'd be waiting for how well this does before deciding to do a second season to cover the third game and maybe more?

FluxWaveZ

The OP mentions covering the trilogy, does that mean they'd be waiting for how well this does before deciding to do a second season to cover the third game and maybe more?

They only ever mentioned that this would cover the events of Ace Attorney and Justice For All. If this thing's a meaningful success, I could definitely see them moving forward and adapting the subsequent games, but who knows. So far, this seems mainly to be a kind of promotional tool for Ace Attorney 6.

XiaNaphryz

They only ever mentioned that this would cover the events of Ace Attorney and Justice For All. If this thing's a meaningful success, I could definitely see them moving forward and adapting the subsequent games, but who knows. So far, this seems mainly to be a kind of promotional tool for Ace Attorney 6.

OP needs to update the info in his post then if it's inaccurate.

Really? I remember back when this was announced it was said that it would cover the whole trilogy. I could be wrong though, so I'll update the OP.

FluxWaveZ

Really? I remember back when this was announced it was said that it would cover the whole trilogy.

You might be misremembering, or referring to an erroneous news release. As of now, I'm 99% sure all they've ever said is that they will cover the first two games in the series.

I've never seen anything to confirm that it would be covering past the first game.

Weird, this uncertainty is making me feel uncertain. Guess I'll try looking for the official word.

D-Man

I'm pretty sure they did confirm that they were just gonna cover the first and second games. The art of
Pearl
and
Franziska
that was shown a while ago kinda backs this up.

No English names in the subs = no deal for me

Will wait for either for a dub or fan sub that puts the localized names in place

FluxWaveZ

I'm pretty sure they did confirm that they were just gonna cover the first and second games. The art of
Pearl
and
Franziska

I vaguely remember this, but do you have a link? I'm finding stuff like the Wikipedia article stating that the anime is slated to adapt the first two games, but not really seeing an original Japanese source.

Pearl
and
Franziska

I saw some art featuring one character from the 2nd game but I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be taken as a confirmation or not because it seemed like some ad for a real-life launch event thing or cosplay thing. All the merch is stuff from the 1st game.

D-Man

I vaguely remember this, but do you have a link? I'm finding stuff like the Wikipedia article stating that the anime is slated to adapt the first two games, but not really seeing an original Japanese source.

I can't find where I read the info, but the picture of those characters is right here. (Quick warning: Don't click this link if you don't want to get spoiled on the design of two major characters from the second game.)

Luigi87

With all the other things I watch (essentially only Gundam, Monogatari, and Durarara!!) I was ready to cancel my CR sub... then they had to go and announce this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom