• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney Anime) |OT| Eat your hamburgers, Naruhodo-kun

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaina

Can you click on the second English option and have the video reload? I did that and got the US Alt subtitles.
lal5saf.png
thanks, that worked! in that case it's probably only one entry in the rightclick menu because they accidentally used the same subtitle name.

Stuart444

I enjoyed todays episode, love Lotta more in the anime adaption and her friendship with Phoenix. Also it's nice to see Mia again and having her in the courtroom.

I also thought the still with Pearls fixing the urn looks exactly like the CG in the game. So that was cool to see.

It's slightly jarring in hindsight as well, but the way the magatama sequences work would've been too slow-paced to be properly adaptable to a 20-minute episode.

Makonero

Just finished Reunion and Turnabout. I teared up at the end
with the addition that they put Mia's old costume with Maya in the box while she slept.
It has definitely gotten a lot better than the first few episodes! I'll wait for Big Top to finish coming out before I watch it, but I'm optimistic they can trim some of the fat and make it fun.

No, that is anime-only shipping. Maya lives in Kurain Village and takes the train to get to the Wright & Co. Law Offices every day.

The first thing Phoenix mentions when arriving in Kurain is that he's surprised at how close it is.

jnWake

Pearl supporting the Phoenix x Maya ship is super canon though. Pearls is great.

I finished Reunion and Turnabout. Always loved the end of the case and it was handled nicely here.
Mimi looks so creepy at the end with the hat on her face

Nohar

Last episode was rushed, with quite a few off-models faces (and a couple of genuinely funny ones).
I don't see them taking an entire episode to conclude this act. Either they expand the original story, either they chain directly with the next case.

Yeah, this case really feels like it's being rushed, unlike most of the others. Doesn't take a genius to figure out why though. It works better when focused on nothing but the stuff we've seen in these two episodes, without getting bogged down in the annoying personalities of the circus. The sooner we can get to case 2-4, the better.

Dingens

I'm still not entirely sure if the circus arc was an improvement or just as annoying as the game's version...

at least it gave us nsfw-galactica!
nsfw_aau9swz.jpg

wtf capcom?

Dot-N-Run

Just finished watching the last episode of the Circus arc.

I felt like there was a lot of stuff added here that wasn't in the actual game (like the circus members helping to demonstrate the trick), is that true or am I simply misremembering? Either way, while I don't count this case in the game as one of my favourites I actually really liked this episode, thought it was one of the best so far. You have to love how they got Maya to play Moe in the little skit, even though Moe himself was one of the actors.

Can't wait for next week though as one of the all-time greats begins, The final case from Justice for All.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still not entirely sure if the circus arc was an improvement or just as annoying as the game's version...

at least it gave us nsfw-galactica!
nsfw_aau9swz.jpg

wtf capcom?

GORGEOUS!

I won't lie, this finale redeemed the original case for me, though I didn't dislike it as much as others did. The recreation of the murder was excellent and
Regina's
"what have I done" scene was great too.

Also, I have to wonder why the hell
Max isn't wearing pants
in that shot. Seriously, how did the animators miss that?

Nohar

The anime, in the end, definitly improved this case compared to the game, mainly thanks to Regina's realization which is much more poignant (and a good example of "Show, don't tell", whereas in the game we don't really see her have her "What have I done?" moment).

Overall, I liked this episode a lot.

Now, ladies and gentlemen, here comes the big finale. Fasten your seat belt, hang on to your seat. The next case is going to be very interesting.
Really, it will be very difficult for them to not mess up. That case is one of the best of the franchise. If they don't bring their A-game, it could comes off as dull. They have 4 episodes, let's hope they will manage to faithfully include everything.

The anime, in the end, definitly improved this case compared to the game, mainly thanks to Regina's realization which is much more poignant (and a good example of "Show, don't tell", whereas in the game we don't really see her have her "What have I done?" moment).

Well, they have the advantage of not needing to work within the limitations of the freakn' GBA with this thing. Dual Destinies being able to have several people occupy the stand at once (well, not literally of course) is probably not simply the result of a creative decision. Regina was in the audience in the game but they couldn't have her leave the audience gallery.

Nohar

Not bad. Edgeworth's return was very good, and the music accompanying his triumphant comeback is nice.

They did change a notable thing compared to the game though (spoiler regarding a newly introduced character):
apparantly, Celeste is now Adrian's sister... /sigh. Japan really can't deal with homosexuality at all (well, Adrian was never confirmed to be homosexual, but it is implied, and dumbing down how her character was dependent on Celeste is kinda disappointing; making her Adrian's sister really water down her that unique aspect of her character).

In any case, I'm looking forward her testimony. So many broken glasses ♪

Also: come on. With the magatama's absence, one particular scene is going to be less interesting. I know they could have made it work somehow.

Dot-N-Run

This latest episode was severely lacking in the wine-glass-out-of-nowhere department. Hopefully if the 3rd game is ever adapted that doesn't set a precedent for the magically materializing coffee.

Not bad. Edgeworth's return was very good, and the music accompanying his triumphant comeback is nice.

They did change a notable thing compared to the game though (spoiler regarding a newly introduced character):
apparantly, Celeste is now Adrian's sister... /sigh. Japan really can't deal with homosexuality at all (well, Adrian was never confirmed to be homosexual, but it is implied, and dumbing down how her character was dependent on Celeste is kinda disappointing; making her Adrian's sister really water down her that unique aspect of her character).

In any case, I'm looking forward her testimony. So many broken glasses ♪

Also: come on. With the magatama's absence, one particular scene is going to be less interesting. I know they could have made it work somehow.
Isn't it common in Japan for people to call each other brother/sister without it being a strictly familial relationship?

I remember in FMA they tried doing that in the dub with Nina calling Edward her brother, but this is generally ignored in translations.

But I haven't seen the newest episode so I dunno if this is something they elaborate on.

jnWake

Today's episode was great IMO. Loved how they did the
Matt Engarde true identity
part, although I missed the theme from the games there.

Nohar

Today's episode was... Well, it left me with a mixed impression.

On the one hand:
  • Oldbag is simply amazing.
  • The court antics were better, with "Objections" being thrown quickly, and Phoenix being quicker to think on his feet than usual (for obvious reasons).
  • The psyche-locks made an apparition!

On the other hand:
  • Things are unfolding a bit to quickly, and I'm worry that this arc will be expedited.
  • Adrian doesn't really get much focus.
  • Maya's obsession with food is stupid, and her behavior in the anime is moronic. Her lingering in the main room is ridiculous.
  • For people unfamiliar with the series, the psyche-locks come from absolutely nowhere (it is merely a shout out to the games, not an actual plot element). Once again, there is not enough build up to the big revelations. The anime fails to capture the tension of the game.
Frankly, the anime is... serviceable. Sadly, it completely fails to capture what make the games great. So far, the only noticeable improvement seen is for the Turnabout Circus case. Everything else is simply average.
I really wonder if the anime team is incompetent, if they don't have the necessary funds to make something worthwhile, or if it is simply too difficult to transpose Ace Attorney to an anime format.

Now it's all said and done I can say that was enjoyable enough, I would also be up for a T&T adaption that also threw in Rise From the Ashes.

Ahasverus

Thank you GAF, had no idea about the anime, just binge watched it until the original game ending (Von Karma). Lots of fun! Now onto uncharted territory for me.

faridmon

I really wonder if the anime team is incompetent, if they don't have the necessary funds to make something worthwhile, or if it is simply too difficult to transpose Ace Attorney to an anime format.

Or they just don't care about the source and they are there just to make a show and thats that.

I believe this game can be made into a really good show if the creators really cared about the intricacies of the game. too bad, this just shows that some loved franchise should not be adapted at all.

Isn't it common in Japan for people to call each other brother/sister without it being a strictly familial relationship?

I remember in FMA they tried doing that in the dub with Nina calling Edward her brother, but this is generally ignored in translations.

But I haven't seen the newest episode so I dunno if this is something they elaborate on.

I'm getting to this really late, but they directly refer to her as Celeste Andrews instead of Celeste Impax. Then again, since her JP name is different, I can't confirm if that's the translator's doing or not.

Does anyone know how successful the Anime was. If it had decent numbers is there a chance for an AA3 and AA4 season?

I'm getting to this really late, but they directly refer to her as Celeste Andrews instead of Celeste Impax. Then again, since her JP name is different, I can't confirm if that's the translator's doing or not.

Does anyone know how successful the Anime was. If it had decent numbers is there a chance for an AA3 and AA4 season?
Yeah, I saw that.

Would anyone have any objections to the dub changing her name to Celeste Impax? Because I sure wouldn't!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom