• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney Anime) |OT| Eat your hamburgers, Naruhodo-kun

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I didn't like about this episode is that the confrontation between Dee Vasquez and Phoenix was a lot less dramatic. In the game, Gumshoe barged in at the last moment to save Phoenix and Maya, while in the anime he arrived before Vasquez even threatened them.

Paraphrased game text:
"So how about it? Would you like to get erased?"
"The trial is tomorrow, correct? How unfortunate that you won't be able to make it."

There were some odd camera angles in this episode but it was still an enjoyable episode. I've played 1-3 twice and still can never remember how all the pieces connect so I pretty much felt like the average viewer who is trying to work it out along the way.

Stuart444

CibF9g3XEAAuBqP.jpg:orig

My favourite bit from this episode.

Liked the ep, was cool seeing the way Kyuta and Oldbag were implemented in the trial even though they weren't testifying in the ep.

NSESN

I forgot about the Hammer injured slip up from Vasquez, it made the final contradiction much better to watch.

NotLiquid

I'm curious, how many episodes is this anime billed for so far? Want to know whether we're just going to get AA1 or if it's going to reach into AA2.

D-Man

I'm curious, how many episodes is this anime billed for so far? Want to know whether we're just going to get AA1 or if it's going to reach into AA2.

We don't have an exact amount of episodes but Justice for All will be covered this season. There's already art for
Pearl
and
Franziska

I was kind of hoping the anime would go a bit more in depth about the incident 5 years ago.

The scene was kind of open to interpretation but I'm pretty sure it was Vasquez which made her desperate "Don't die....please don't die..." a strong contrast to her harsh personality we saw from her and you could interpret her blackmailing Hammer as a way of revenge.

Nice episode but I wonder why they cut the breakdown animation.

jnWake

They're going all in with the wind effects for the Objections haha. Nice episode,
Vasquez' breakdown was good, almost made you feel bad for her
. They could've expanded on it though, probably show the way the crime ocurred or something.
I'd have liked to see how she managed to throw Hammer to the fence

Best episode of the anime so far. I was expecting this case to be a low point of the series but I was pleasantly surprised.

JFA is going to be weird. I'd actually prefer if they cut 2-1 to focus more time on 1-4 (maybe 1-5?) and 2-4.

Nohar

Best episode of the anime so far. I was expecting this case to be a low point of the series but I was pleasantly surprised.

JFA is going to be weird. I'd actually prefer if they cut 2-1 to focus more time on 1-4 (maybe 1-5?) and 2-4.

Actually, 2-1 could become a very fun episode to watch, depending on the anime team's approach.

FluxWaveZ

Ah, I kinda forgot the intricacies of 1-3, so some of this refreshed my memory. Made me remember that I was always kind of confused as to why Vasquez hadn't just admitted that the murder was self-defense. This isn't Danganronpa; Ace Attorney has shown that it's not black and white when it comes to one's judgement based on the circumstances of a case, and self-defense is a totally valid reason for this.

She still would be guilty of covering up that incident 5 years ago, blackmail, tampering with evidence, and framing Will Powers. And if the police investigated her to verify her connection with Hammer, they could very well have found out all the other things she did. Remember, she had strong ties with the mafia.

The police still have to investigate that it was indeed self-defense as well as find out why Hammer tried to kill her.

It's not a death sentence or be charged with murder, but she still would've served considerable jail time and lost her career.

FluxWaveZ

She still would be guilty of covering up that incident 5 years ago, blackmail, tampering with evidence, and framing Will Powers. And if the police investigated her to verify her connection with Hammer, they could very well have found out all the other things she did. Remember, she had strong ties with the mafia.

It's not a death sentence or be charged with murder, but she still would've served considerable jail time and lost her career.

That's true. Though, in the end, she gets convicted and if we were to interpret how, probably worse off than she would have if she didn't try to hide evidence. Definitely would have appreciated a deeper look into Vasquez' motivations and backstory here; it kind of all fell flat when she went "you won."

I was a bit surprised when I remembered that 1-4 is coming up immediately after this. I think they'll be doing 1-5.

jnWake

Only thing I missed was a "How it really happened" scene or something. I mean, there was a lot left unexplained, especially how Hammer was found in his Magistrate costume.

FluxWaveZ

Only thing I missed was a "How it really happened" scene or something. I mean, there was a lot left unexplained, especially how Hammer was found in his Magistrate costume.

They did that in case 1 and I think they did that in case 2, as well. Was definitely missed in case 3; that's a perspective the anime could easily give us that the games didn't necessarily.

jaina

The shower scene was great. By now I'm actually looking forward to the next episode each week, even with knowing the plot.

Lusankya

Yep, I think they nailed the investigation segment. Good pacing and nothing important form the game was missing.

I really felt sorry for Maya during the DL-6 info dump.

Jay RaR

Another amazing episode! Although fast paced, the drama and info dumps were presented really well. Some minor peevse I have is that Edgeworth didn't say "You in particular I don't you involved in" and "So you've come to laugh at the fallen attorney?". I understand why they were cut, but it would've been nice to see more of Edgeworth's personal interactions with Wright.

jaina

That was good, I liked the shower scene as well. Though, from the preview, it feels like there might be something off with Manfred's face, which is unfortunate.

A comparison with the anime scenes from the Pachinko machine for this episode (SPOILERS PAST 1:00): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hc-tMA9THA
Both the quality of Manfred's drawn face as well as his eyes flustered me during the preview. But the differently sized eyes seem to be in the original design too.

It's either a huge error or I guess Larry's bit is gonna get the Cody treatment
since the Steel Samurai balloon is at Larry's stand on the night of the murder meaning he wasn't at the lake that night looking for it
. Is Phoenix is gonna solve the entire murder using just
Lotta's second photo
?

I liked how they had the correct design of the Samurai Dogs box from Investigations 1 and Phoenix is drinking his favorite
grape
juice.

But how can you look at this face and not hear Wakamoto??

wYGsQBW.png

He's alone in his office sorting files and he makes this face! C'mon!

MrBadger

This was the best episode yet. I've enjoyed the anime, but this is the first time I've really felt the atmosphere I felt when playing the game. Happy they seem to have brought their A-game for my favourite case. A bit concerned that
they might ham up Von Karma as the villain a bit too much, though.

Nohar

Excellent episode. The pacing was very good, most of the investigation from the game was respected and the shower scene was quite fun.
Next week, the real deal begins. I can't wait.
Regarding von Karma:
Well, he is quite the ham in the original game, full of contempt, and let's not forget his over-the-top breakdown. This was very impressive back in the days. The player doesn't right away he is the villain, but it is quickly clear that he is full-on antagonist.

Just got caught up to this after dropping it for a while following episode 2. I mostly liked how they handled Turnabout Samurai, and Goodbyes seems like it's off to a good start too.

NotLiquid

It's stupid how good the anime has become in time. While the game still obviously reigns supreme in building up each little twist, in some ways the anime has almost exceeded the storytelling of the original game. For one I'm surprised how sympathetic Grossberg has been painted in this episode since the game almost seemed to paint him as a backbone lacking snitch, and it ties together Maya's resolve a lot more succinctly.

Add me to the collective voice of "this series sure made a turn around" (or a turnabout? so sorry).
The real hidden gem for me so far has been actually seeing some of Maya's antics actually animated like waving the broom around after watching the steel samurai and the makeshift waterfall training.
I've also been oddly impressed by how well adapted the investigation environments are.

Judging by the pace things are going I can't really see 1-5/Rise From the Ashes slotting in here without rushing a bunch of other trials as well as 1-5 itself so I'm not expecting it, which is a shame.
But hey if they return to adapt T&T they could bolt it on the end as a flashback case.

D-Man

I was surprised by how well animated the newest episode was. I'm glad the show managed to get progressively better, especially since we're now on one of the best cases in the series!

jnWake

Episode was great. I love how they give lots of details to everything Maya does, from watching TV, the training shower and even playing with the thing Larry gave her.

Von Karma looks a bit "older" than I expected. In the games he looked more intimidating.

Stuart444

So looks like the case is being given an extra episode which is good. :D

Good episode today though, being paced quite nicely I thought.

FluxWaveZ

Something about how they made von Karma snap his fingers bothered me. I don't think I like that he points to something or someone after it. It seems more powerful in the game version.

Because of the anime pace, the threat that is von Karma is kind of understated compared to the game. They did get the part where he's constantly interrupting and trying to drive things his way, but it's really striking in-game when you first go against him. His "Objection" is one of the most threatening the series has seen.

Good episode, though.

Dingens

the turnaround this week was done really well, it almost gave me goose bumps.
also looks like they REALLY give this case all the care and time it needs. I wonder if it will go on for another 2 episodes?

Makonero

Awesome episode. I'm hype for the best witness to appear in the next one.

I loved the call back in AA5.

Phoenix is best when he has to cross-examine an animal. It's so utterly insane. I couldn't believe he put a parrot on the stand and was rolling on the floor with laughter. So when he has to cross-examine an orca later, I had a similar reaction.

Stuart444

I wonder if it will go on for another 2 episodes?

Seems like it since it's 4th, not final trial next ep.

Also loved todays ep and really looking forward to next weeks ep.
I'm sure anyone who has played the games had been hoping they don't skip over the parrot cross examination.

Watched the new episode,
they didn't skip over the parrot cross-examination, but they did do a surprising change that is also a genius piece of economic storytelling by having Pheonix call Grossberg as a witness, which I believe didn't occur in the games but rather had Grossberg explain things in his office.

The anime really has been growing on me now that the episodes have room to do their own thing.

Dingens

the new episode had some good use of music but some awkward drawing in between... there were quite a few instances where a few characters, backgrounds etc looked somewhat "off". not sure if anyone else noticed...

This is definitely "Not as spoiler unless you point it out as a spoiler" territory, but I was shocked that they showed
the shot of the man outside of the elevator

FluxWaveZ

I genuinely love how Maya has the metal detector equipped on her at all times for no reason.

A difference in this episode that I didn't really like compared to the game is how Maya implied cross-examining the parrot, but then was also the one who sincerely pushed for the idea, convincing Wright. In the game, it's so much better when Maya implies it, but Phoenix is the only one to take it seriously making him look insane. The whole suspense aspect of "we're cross-examining... a parrot!?" was rather rushed here, but I guess that can't really be helped.

I don't specifically recall when it happens (if the time frame was this episode or the next) but, seeing how next episode seems like the last, it doesn't look like we'll be getting the scene where
Phoenix gets assaulted by von Karma in the evidence room.

Pretty much figured they were cutting that scene when you see
Von Karma getting into the car right when Phoenix and Maya went to check the DL-6 evidence.

That's too bad, I liked how in the first game Phoenix really gets into dangerous situations in every case after the first one. The anime basically softens or removes all of that.

FluxWaveZ

That's too bad, I liked how in the first game Phoenix really gets into dangerous situations in every case after the first one. The anime basically softens or removes all of that.

It served to reinforce how the people Wright was going against are really not good people more than the anime has, that's for sure. Redd White outright punching Phoenix was a pretty cool moment when I first experienced it.

Stuart444

Loved this weeks episode. Also love whenever we get to see
Edgeworth/Mitsurugi and Phoenix/Naruhodo work together like that.

Next weeks ep looks to be the anime only episode. Nice place to put it, right between games/seasons.

I always thought the court stuff where they tried to mimic the game was the weakest point of the series, and it was certainly looking like another one of those moments
until they opened the box and the bullet was gone.

That was a crazy episode. Hopefully they keep this in mind when they continue on to the story of the second game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom