• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney Anime) |OT| Eat your hamburgers, Naruhodo-kun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, this anime would be a whole lot better if the animation was good. A-1 can make great looking stuff (see Erased) but this just looks so inconsistent and bad. This should've been given to Bones or whoever. They would've done the anime justice.

I'm enjoying the show so far, but I really don't know who it's for. If you've played the game, there's nothing wrong with this adaptation, but nothing it does better. If you're new to the series, this seems like a terrible way to get introduced to it. The show isn't written in a way where you can solve the case on your own, and the show itself doesn't really stand out in any way. Ace Attorney has a lot of great characters, but this Anime is as A to B to C as possible, not giving any of the cast room to shine. This is where the the investigation phase of the game should be expanded upon.

I'm glad people are watching it (according to ratings) and hopefully they'll address my concerns as the series progresses.

JulianImp

I'm enjoying the show so far, but I really don't know who it's for. If you've played the game, there's nothing wrong with this adaptation, but nothing it does better. If you're new to the series, this seems like a terrible way to get introduced to it. The show isn't written in a way where you can solve the case on your own, and the show itself doesn't really stand out in any way. Ace Attorney has a lot of great characters, but this Anime is as A to B to C as possible, not giving any of the cast room to shine. This is where the the investigation phase of the game should be expanded upon.

I'm glad people are watching it (according to ratings) and hopefully they'll address my concerns as the series progresses.

I'm not holding out hope for AO scenes at all, since the show looks like a low budget cookie-cutter adaptation at best. Seeing more stuff like Phoenix meeting Maya at the detention center would be nice, but the show's not only not using that many scenes lke that, but even goes as far as to drop several scenes such as how Phoenix learned about the secretary or the bellboy having a role during the trial.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just watched the first episode, loved it! Then again it wouldn't take much to hook me, they had me at the questioning and objection themes, I hope other themes show up too.

Madao

i went and started a replay of the trilogy in the 3DS version since i still hadn't played that despite getting it in 2014 and...

they did change stuff around. omitted some details and changes others. it's not 1:1 like i thought it was initially.

i knew the thing about Redd's ring was weird since i didn't remember that from the game and effectively, that wasn't how it happened in the original (he planted the wiretap instead). also, the bellboy got totally snubbed in the anime.

these little changes make things more interesting since now i can look out for changes when replaying each case (similar to how the Sailor Moon Crystal anime changed some things from the manga even though it was following most of it closely)

FluxWaveZ

I think a lot of people are aware of those minor changes, but I personally don't think they're that significant. Stuff like Phoenix searching for different attorneys to help Maya in episode 2 are true divergences which I'd like to see more of, but those examples regarding Redd are pretty much for the sake of time.

Nohar

Oh God, Redd White's engrish is just awful to hear. Also, that was the most out-of-place "Yes we can" I've ever heard.

The animation is so-so (well, episode 3 was not so-so: it was just plain bad), but it is enjoyable. My biggest complaint so far is that there is little to no build-up to the breakdowns: April went batshit crazy way too fast.
Also, they could have avoided giving 3D models to the crowd in court. That looks really bad.

Thanksfully, The Lady will appear in the next episode. In they screw up Oldbag, I'm outta here.

Sölf

Welp, I didn't like that they basically skipped over the whole investigation this time (then again, I don't remember what you actually uncover in the first one), but on the other hand I liked the Steel Samurai bit at the beginning as well as the office scene right after. Not sure what to really think at this point in time. D:

It's hard to tell for sure when seeing it from the perspective of someone who has played the game, but it felt like this case is being presented in a better way than the earlier cases. The murder mystery gets presented in a way that lets the viewer understand the situation and draw their own conclusions. Some investigation was skipped (and one pointless character was shown briefly for no reason at all), but I always felt like the investigation part of this case dragged, so there's probably a reason for that.

They're moving surprisingly swiftly through this case though. I wouldn't be surprised to see it resolved in the next episode.

Sölf

They're moving surprisingly swiftly through this case though. I wouldn't be surprised to see it resolved in the next episode.

Nah, 3 episodes at least. The next one is called "Second Trial", which also happend to the second episode of case 2. The last one was called "Final Trial", which I think will happen here again.

Akio Otsuka is doing Karma? Better than the pachinko voice, but still...Given how over the top and melodramatic Karma is, I was really hungry for a hammy Wakamoto performance.

I think I see why people weren't thrilled at Yuki Kaji being cast as Phoenix. The man has no range or comedic delivery. If it wasn't for the "comedic" faces, you'd never tell he was supposed to be giving a joke.

Animation seems a lot better than it has been and good use of the Objection theme.

Let us pray for the sub team when dealing with Sal next week. This is one instance where I'd be fine with not following the game script too closely. Do kids nowadays even know l33t anymore?

Jay RaR

Oh wow, I surprisingly enjoyed this episode. The Steall Samurai bit was pretty neat and the surprise appearance of Manfred von Karma was interesting as well. Also surprised he wasn't too angry that Edgeworth lost a case. The scene at the studios with the kid was amusing to see and Wendy is as annoyingly humorous yet a bit over the top like in the games.

MrBadger

Wow, that one was actually good. They're using the game's music more frequently and the original music's starting to grow on me as well. Plus the animation seems to be improving. The Steel Samurai intro was really good and the close up shots of the crowd weren't those absolutely terrible 3D models.

I also like how they're setting up Von Karma

D-Man

I'm a little disappointed that they skipped a majority of the investigation, but not a whole lot happens on the first day so it's okay I guess. Anyway, it was a good episode and it was fun to see Oldbag be her usual self, but animated.

Next week is gonna be a trip. Wonder if the translators will keep Sal's original speech pattern.

KraytarJ

I actually enjoyed this episode, unlike the rest so far. It didn't quite feel as rushed as prior episodes and the adaptations of Oldbag and Powers are spot on. While the episode on the whole was an improvement for me the court sections still leave something to be desired as those scenes feel like they cut out the most stuff (although I suppose that would mainly be deliberation time) and as has been said before the courtroom feels too small.

Anyways good stuff, onto the next one.

Nohar

Now that was good! Much better pace, better build-up, Oldbag true to herself, good humor, we actually see the reactions from a 2D crowd instead of a 3D one (much better than the lifeless 3D expressions we got one or two episodes prior) and Nick being his snarky self. I really liked that episode (and, ironically, it may be the only case of the games that I never replayed). I also noticed the animation improving, and the original games' music is better used.

Ace Attorney (Anime) began with a bad start, but it seems they could definitly make it work if they put their minds to it.

Edit: I hope they will give the Judge more lines and reactions. He has been far too passive so far, whereas in the game we constantly see his funny reactions.

I think the show has been steadily improving since the first episode. It was actually a good decision (for the most part; they shouldn't have given Penny just one second of screentime, which made that whole "who else could be in the costume?" shot really awkward when she was in it) since literally nothing happens the first investigation day outside
the discovery of the photograph, which gets presented in court anyways

If the first game is going to be 13 episodes long, then I expect 2-3 more episodes for the Steel Samurai case, then a total of 4-5 episodes for Turnabout Goodbyes with an episode thrown in the middle for
Phoenix's class trial
(is this a spoiler?).

Yeah, Penny kinda got the shaft in this one. Pretty good episode all round, though. Edgeworth still nailing the expressions.

Also, Will Powers slamming his head against the glass was hilarious, I didn't expect that.

What pleased me the most about the episode was how they kept the running gag from the games where Edgeworth has a really hard time getting witnesses to state their name and occupation. I was waiting for it to happen once Oldbag took the stage, and I wasn't disappointed.

FluxWaveZ

Wow the animation is really getting better. I hope that isn't just an anomaly and it'll keep it up.

The anime's been getting consistently great ratings, so maybe they've been getting more resources/budget accordingly? I don't remember if that's how it works from Shirobako.

The anime's been getting consistently great ratings, so maybe they've been getting more resources/budget accordingly? I don't remember if that's how it works from Shirobako.

Aren't all of these episode pretty much already done? There can't be more to actually producing the rest of the series outside of editing and post-production.

FluxWaveZ

Aren't all of these episode pretty much already done? There can't be more to actually producing the rest of the series outside of editing and post-production.

It probably depends on the studio, but I'm pretty sure there's more to anime production than that, and that a lot of the content for a show will be produced while it's actually airing.

But, again, pretty much all of my knowledge comes from Shirobako.

That's not how it works. Anime don't get given resources just based on popularity - and time is a bigger constraint on production than budget anyway, and you can't magically create more time unless you start delaying episodes.

That's not how it works either. Almost all anime is still in active production when it begins airing, with the buffer between the aired episodes and the episodes being worked on varying according to the production. Ace Attorney looks to have a pretty small lead time, which means they're most certainly still working on episodes due to air this month.

That's not how it works either. Almost all anime is still in active production when it begins airing, with the buffer between the aired episodes and the episodes being worked on varying according to the production. Ace Attorney looks to have a pretty small lead time, which means they're most certainly still working on episodes due to air this month.

That sounds... uh... incredibly stressful and dangerous.

FluxWaveZ

That's not how it works. Anime don't get given resources just based on popularity - and time is a bigger constraint on production than budget anyway, and you can't magically create more time unless you start delaying episodes.

That makes sense, given the seemingly high pace and tight deadlines of anime production. Though, I find it hard to believe that anime don't get given more resources based on popularity. Maybe not the same ongoing series, but it's certainly put into consideration for any subsequent seasons or sequels.

That sounds... uh... incredibly stressful and dangerous.

It is! Production collapses are a regular occurrence in TV anime, in some cases necessitating the delay of the final episode(s) several months (Girls und Panzer, Blood Blockade Battlefront, God Eater). TV anime typically get corrections and polishing done to their BD versions when they couldn't get everything they wanted done on time for the TV airing, ranging from subtle to extreme (Samurai Flamenco) to completing episodes that aired blatantly unfinished (Wizard Barristers, Yoru no Yatterman).

That makes sense, given the seemingly high pace and tight deadlines of anime production. Though, I find it hard to believe that anime don't get given more resources based on popularity. Maybe not the same ongoing series, but it's certainly put into consideration for any subsequent seasons or sequels.

I'm sure it's a consideration, but it depends on how generous and supportive the producers are, how skilled and diligent the staff are, and avoiding the unforeseen accidents that can happen anywhere. Popular anime that sells very well can still end up with few resources put into it (UtaPri).

This was a great episode. The alternative sub track on CR lived up to expectations.

The director's subtitles continually use l33t speak

FluxWaveZ

No ladder vs. step ladder reference (that probably wasn't even in the Japanese version of the game), but Phoenix falling into the grate and Maya pushing him in instead of pulling him out made up for it. Unexpectedly hilarious.

Jay RaR

Pretty good episode. I was half-expecting the reveal with Cody to not be in the courtroom, but it still felt natural during the investigation. Also was the second part of the trial scheduled for another day? It felt kinda odd that Phoenix and Maya revisited the studios the next day with no trial going on. And speaking of that, this episode really felt like Ace Attorney Investigations with Phoenix getting info from Cody as if he was in court (especially with that Hold It). Sal was just as crazy with his l33t 5p34k and Oldbag with her lengthy passionate rants.

Can't wait for next week!

Poor Penny, she's faded into the ether.

Really good episode. I'm impressed with how they were able to cut the second court segment, do Cody's segment, establish how Phoenix becomes a fan of the Steel Samurai, start Oldbag's help involving the incident 5 years ago, and actually made it coherent. Still feel like the show isn't giving the viewer enough information to have them guess at the killer or some of the twists, but I'm not watching this show "fresh" so that's probably the reason.

Really don't like Yuki Kaji's performance. It's either calm or yelling, no sense of comedic delivery at all even during genuinely funny moments like falling in the drain. Maybe he's getting bad voice direction from A-1...

Dingens

damn... I can't believe how much this anime improved in quality over the span of a few episodes. If you compare the first episode to this one, it's like two completely different products.
Good use of music, great suspense and even what seems to be improved production values. I hope they'll keep it up.
After being disappointed initially, this turned out way better than anticipated.

Nohar

It is definitly getting better. I'm relieved. I can't wait for 1-4 and 2-4, those cases are going to be fantastic. Kinda sad we probably won't get 1-5 though, it was a very good bonus case (and thanks to it, we got
Ema Skye ♥ ... *munchmunchmunchmunchmunchmunch*
).

JulianImp

I'm really sad that the Steel Samuray lost twist wasn't in the court, it's the best part of case

I'd say that foregoing that court day did help move the pacing along a fair bit, so it wasn't that bad even if it resulted in a slight plot hole about Phoenix and Maya visiting the studios for two days in a row without a trial segment in between. I think I'd rather miss out on a couple copy-and-pasted reaction shots from the games if that results in a slightly less rushed pacing.

Bowl0l

Really don't like Yuki Kaji's performance. It's either calm or yelling, no sense of comedic delivery at all even during genuinely funny moments like falling in the drain. Maybe he's getting bad voice direction from A-1...
Was falling in the drain part of the game? i cannot remember.

Piichan

Banned
This has gotten really boring. Probably because I already know what's happening.

This show's been degraded to something to put on in the background while I do other stuff for me.

It is definitly getting better. I'm relieved. I can't wait for 1-4 and 2-4, those cases are going to be fantastic. Kinda sad we probably won't get 1-5 though, it was a very good bonus case (and thanks to it, we got
Ema Skye ♥ ... *munchmunchmunchmunchmunchmunch*
).
They're moving along at a fairly decent clip, I don't think 1-5 is totally impossible. 3 cases in 7 episodes. Obviously 1-4 and 2-4 will (probably) be longer, but say the first three cases of JFA are handled in 7 episodes as well. Assuming they want to round out a 26 episode season, that gives them 12 episodes remaining for 1-4 and 2-4. 6 episodes per case seems a little excessive, I'd see them more as four-parters. Which would leave four episodes free for 1-5. But I guess we'll just have to see.

Just wish they'd do T&T as well ;(

I'd say that foregoing that court day did help move the pacing along a fair bit, so it wasn't that bad even if it resulted in a slight plot hole about Phoenix and Maya visiting the studios for two days in a row without a trial segment in between. I think I'd rather miss out on a couple copy-and-pasted reaction shots from the games if that results in a slightly less rushed pacing.
Maybe in the animeverse the trials are spaced out a bit more? I know Ace Attorney is based on the Japanese court system, but in the U.S. trials are often set days, if not weeks apart.

I actually liked that Cody's reveal didn't take place in court, I thought it felt more organic. The way it was conflated with Oldbag's assessment of Hammer's character was really nice. And Phoenix appears to be a bit more level-headed than in the game when he confronted Vasquez about the possibility that she committed the murder.

Also the anime really seems to be setting up Maya as more of a sex symbol - in the game she had to channel Mia to get Cody to talk to her, whereas here she seemed to be just fine on her own. To speak nothing of Sal's 00ber-sexualized inspiration for Pink Princess.

It also speaks to how the pacing of the games changed over the course of the series, after AA1 it's very rare (does it even happen ever again?) that a case isn't wrapped up in 2 court days.

It also speaks to how the pacing of the games changed over the course of the series, after AA1 it's very rare (does it even happen ever again?) that a case isn't wrapped up in 2 court days.

The closest in the original trilogy is during 2-4 during the second trial the judge tries to push for a third day before he gets stopped before he can suspend the court.

Sort of happens during AA5
with Case 4 and 5 covering the same incident with three trial days but the defendant changes to Athena after the second trial day. So technically it shouldn't count as it is two episodes and two different trials, but player mileage may vary

Iirc, Case 2 of AA5 takes three days.

Still only two days. It sure felt like three days with how slow that case was....

jaina

noted.
The director getting his Pink Samurai idea from Maya is also an anime original plot?
I think that gets revealed at the end of the case or even later, but it's in the game.
edit: checked a plot summary, it's in the game at the first meeting with Sal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom