• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney Anime) |OT| Eat your hamburgers, Naruhodo-kun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pluto

I watched episode 2, they killed Chihiro? I thought she was going to be Ryuuichi's mentor ...

This episode was better than the first one but I still have a few problems with it, the way the police and justice system is portrayed is ridiculous, Mayoi gets immediately arrested, the trial is three days later and the defense doesn't get information except that a witness exists, nothing on the details of what she claims to have seen or any other evidence, the lawyer just walks in completely unprepared and has to come up with a defense right there on the spot.
I can see how this is based on a game, the player has to figure things out on the spot, that's the reason for this set up but so far it doesn't really work in the tv series, at least not for me.

Mayoi is cute enough and the detective is funny (and kind of a moron) but so far no character has really grabbed me. I thought the series would focus on Chihiro mentoring Ryuuichi but it seems like he has to do it on his own because none of the other characters in the opening are lawyers (except for the prosecutor but he's set up as a rival).

This all sounds pretty negative but I am interested in how this gets resolved although some thimgs are very on the nose, the fancy screwdriver got so much focus I'd be surprised if it doesn't turn out to ve an important clue. :D

I think Chihiro's big case that she wanted to hide evidence for will be this season's overachimg plot, somehow I don't believe the mystery wire tapper and lawyer threatener (and probably killer) will be caught right away, there'd be no reason to hide him in the shadows then. Finding Chihiro's killer could be a reason why Mayoi stays and doesn't return to her own life.

I watched episode 2, they killed Chihiro? I thought she was going to be Ryuuichi's mentor ...

This episode was better than the first one but I still have a few problems with it, the way the police and justice system is portrayed is ridiculous, Mayoi gets immediately arrested, the trial is three days later and the defense doesn't get information except that a witness exists, nothing on the details of what she claims to have seen or any other evidence, the lawyer just walks in completely unprepared and has to come up with a defense right there on the spot.
I can see how this is based on a game, the player has to figure things out on the spot, that's the reason for this set up but so far it doesn't really work in the tv series, at least not for me.

Mayoi is cute enough and the detective is funny (and kind of a moron) but so far no character has really grabbed me. I thought the series would focus on Chihiro mentoring Ryuuichi but it seems like he has to do it on his own because none of the other characters in the opening are lawyers (except for the prosecutor but he's set up as a rival).

This all sounds pretty negative but I am interested in how this gets resolved although some thimgs are very on the nose, the fancy screwdriver got so much focus I'd be surprised if it doesn't turn out to ve an important clue. :D

I think Chihiro's big case that she wanted to hide evidence for will be this season's overachimg plot, somehow I don't believe the mystery wire tapper and lawyer threatener (and probably killer) will be caught right away, there'd be no reason to hide him in the shadows then. Finding Chihiro's killer could be a reason why Mayoi stays and doesn't return to her own life.

All these Japanese names -.- its a good thing I've played AA1 like 5 times otherwise I'd be lost and I've seen this episode lol.

Dingens

[...]
I can see how this is based on a game, the player has to figure things out on the spot, that's the reason for this set up but so far it doesn't really work in the tv series, at least not for me.[...]

those elements aren't the games fault, but rather because this series is (or was) a parody of the japanese justice system. In context, some of it makes (or rather made?) a lot of sense, sadly

Pluto

All these Japanese names -.- its a good thing I've played AA1 like 5 times otherwise I'd be lost and I've seen this episode lol.
I watch the series on crunchyroll, those are the names in the subs. I only know that the main character is called Phoenix Wright, I used to think his name was Ace Attorney ...

those elements aren't the games fault, but rather because this series is (or was) a parody of the japanese justice system. In context, some of it makes (or rather made?) a lot of sense, sadly
Really? Wow, that's a bit scary.

FluxWaveZ

I watch the series on crunchyroll, those are the names in the subs. I only know that the main character is called Phoenix Wright, I used to think his name was Ace Attorney ...

Crunchyroll offers an alternative English sub track, which I assume is what most fans are using to watch the series.

Sölf

Crunchyroll offers an alternative English sub track, which I assume is what most fans are using to watch the series.

Yeah, since all names have been localized in all games, watching the first episode without localized names was confusing as fuck. xD

Pluto

I'm watching through the ipad app, I don't see an option to switch subtitles. :( Maybe I just don't find it, I'm new to Crunchyroll.

Personally I don't mind because I don't know the characters anyway but I think switching to the track anyone else is using would ne less confusing.

I'm watching through the ipad app, I don't see an option to switch subtitles. :( Maybe I just don't find it, I'm new to Crunchyroll.

I reserve the right to be wrong on this, but you may not be able to switch subtitles in the app. When I was looking at how to turn subtitles off I came across something that said they made the subtitles a part of the video for the videos you get on apps (as opposed to the internet player) because when they moved from phone to tablet apps the subtitles just weren't scaling.

I like the series because I love the game, but I'm not completely sold on the animation style yet. Something about it just feels ever so slightly off to me. Also holy shit Red White's (I think Masaru Konaka for those of you with the non-localized subs) lines are ridiculous. I always love it when characters in Anime have lines that are completely in English (see: Joeseph Joestar in seasons 2 & 3 of Jojo).

Pluto

When I'm back home I'll check if my Wii U app allows switching subtitles, I like watching anime on the couch if possible.

I think you have to do it on PC I dunno if the wiiu app works. Sucks since Crunchyroll always has issues on my laptop compared to my ipad/phone/wiiu :[

FluxWaveZ

Fine, PC then. I'll manage one episode per week, for everything else the apps will do.

Are you not interested in actually playing the games first? Ace Attorney is one of the greatest video game series there is, and you're just getting a watered down and incredibly subpar experience by watching the anime in its stead.

Pluto

Yes, I like to read but not so much in a game, I also like movies but games with too many cutscenes bore me to death. When I play a game I want to do things myself

I like jump and runs, city builders, action adventures (and even Zelda sometimes annoyed me with too many text boxes) and can spend hours decorating my sims houses. I don't doubt the Ace Arrorney games are good but it's not what I look for in a game. I'm fine experiencing the story this way.

You are doing things and you are the one exploring the crime scenes and solving the crimes. It's not just you tapping A for 10 hours while watching the characters do the work for you.

It's your choice of course but I think you're making a few assumptions. Hopefully the anime covering the first two games will make you curious about what happens in the third game and prompt you to give it a try, especially since the third game is often considered the best in the series.

I just figured people who liked mysteries would enjoy mystery focused games where you explore areas looking for clues and talk to people trying to figure out the truth.

Kirye

I just figured people who liked mysteries would enjoy mystery focused games where you explore areas looking for clues and talk to people trying to figure out the truth.

Everyone looks for something different in a game. I love cars of all kinds, working on them, racing when I was younger, but I can't stand games like Gran Turismo and Need for Speed. Realistic racing games bore the hell out of me.

The AA games are games of deduction and adventure game puzzles, but they're equally just gripping crime/comedy visual novels.

The fact that the player is required to play a part in deducing the truth (and thus is playing as the character) is what marks the games apart from your normal VN.

Also I have to say that my feeling about this series has soured a lot, mostly because I disliked the 3rd episode a lot. I don't get why they're basically skipping all the tense courtroom moments where Naruhodo/PW has to really struggle and probe the truth.

Bilix

I couldn't tell if Redd White's/Masaru Konaka's bad english was intentional or not. Not sure if he's supposed to be American or Japanese who goes to America a lot. Guess it would help if I knew his Japanese was bad or not.

I need confirmation from CR subs.
Is this real?

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo

I could see them trying to stick as close to the game's localization given that they're already going to the extra mile of using the localized character names.

I couldn't tell if Redd White's/Masaru Konaka's bad english was intentional or not. Not sure if he's supposed to be American or Japanese who goes to America a lot. Guess it would help if I knew his Japanese was bad or not.

His Japanese isn't bad. I don't think this is a case of intentionally bad English so much as it is a case of Japanese-English. Also if you haven't heard any other Japanese VAs do English lines, a lot of them tend to sound like this guy did.

Bilix

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo

His Japanese isn't bad. I don't think this is a case of intentionally bad English so much as it is a case of Japanese-English. Also if you haven't heard any other Japanese VAs do English lines, a lot of them tend to sound like this guy did.

Fair point. I guess the the amount of english lines and him repeating them draws more attention here. So I guess he is Japanese from his name, just uses a lot of English to seem cool.

That was great, particularly considering that the end of this case is one of the worst endings in the entire trilogy. The show handled it in a way that felt much more satisfying. Glad to hear two more tracks from the game too, with hints at a third one (Turnabout Sisters).

w3bba

cornered theme was great. i am liking the anime more and more (except for the opening...it feels generic and unfitting)

also i hope they dont screw up the best part about the next case:
ladder/stepladder discussion

It's like looking directly into the face of madness. This was not the work of a single person, but an entire team crafting, reviewing, and designing this opening before leaning back in their chairs and saying "Yes, this will do".

w3bba

I agree that the Opening is all around bad and generic. At least the series itself has pretty good quality. And i can understand them: i cant imagine a proper opening for the Ace Attorney series myself.

The opening is bonkers. The closing is really sweet, though.

One other amazing thing about the alt English sub: it keeps a lot of Redd White's inane words from the game loc.

The sub team is doing a really great job - but boy oh boy is this a visually poor show. There's at least two pans to the 3d background models that are used for the court watchers. They're terrible. Plus a lot of very mangled or otherwise very strange looking faces, hands, and drawn art appearing blurry because it's been zoomed in on after being drawn. And some outright wonky stuff, like last episode how Mia's age changed on the TV between shots from 28->27.

The thing is though, as the show's gone one, it does seem like they're adding more and more animation. The bit with Wright's face pushing Redd White's face out was great. It's just very occasional.

Maybe the BR version will be fixed up?

The opening is bonkers. The closing is really sweet, though.

One other amazing thing about the alt English sub: it keeps a lot of Redd White's inane words from the game loc.

The sub team is doing a really great job - but boy oh boy is this a visually poor show. There's at least two pans to the 3d background models that are used for the court watchers. They're terrible. Plus a lot of very mangled or otherwise very strange looking faces, hands, and drawn art appearing blurry because it's been zoomed in on after being drawn. And some outright wonky stuff, like last episode how Mia's age changed on the TV between shots from 28->27.

The thing is though, as the show's gone one, it does seem like they're adding more and more animation. The bit with Wright's face pushing Redd White's face out was great. It's just very occasional.

Maybe the BR version will be fixed up?
Is Redd's dialogue different in the Japanese names track? Interesting if so, way more effort than I'd expect to be put into this.

RangerBAD said:
Let's go get some rame--I mean burgers! The translation shift was odd. Wonder why they changed it from episode 2 on.
In the video games, Maya's favorite food is changed from ramen to burgers between the JP/US versions.

The Japanese names track keeps it as ramen.

It's like looking directly into the face of madness. This was not the work of a single person, but an entire team crafting, reviewing, and designing this opening before leaning back in their chairs and saying "Yes, this will do".

I don't know what random trope thing gets me the most but the explosion of sunflowers just made me want to object at my tv screen.

FluxWaveZ

Episode 4

Wow, that was actually a great episode. I didn't really think much of how they'd manage future courtroom scenes after the first case's, but they pulled this one off well. There were some really ugly shots to the 3D modeled crowd several times, which was just terrible looking. But there were some visually neat effects going on, notably the use of cut-ins when Phoenix was trying to grasp at straws.

I feel better about this show now. The use of music for the climax was good, too. And they fixed the running animation in the opening and the color of the pillars Phoenix and Edgeworth are standing on (I'll still be skipping it after this, though).

I agree that the Opening is all around bad and generic. At least the series itself has pretty good quality. And i can understand them: i cant imagine a proper opening for the Ace Attorney series myself.

They could've done anything even slightly related to the games. Something like Gun X Sword's where silhouettes of the characters are shown but don't reveal them in the intro until they appear in the show. All while showing locations or evidence from the games.

Or if we gotta be generic, it starts with Phoenix asleep at his desk, then Maya wakes him up and shows the TV and she's flipping through the channels and each one shows a different location like Global Studios, Gourd Lake, Berry Big Circus, Lordly Tailor, so on. Then a series of transitions of him investigating the scenes in slide-show or brief animated segments getting annoyed at Gumshoe, finding a clue on the ground, getting manhandled by a witness, whatever. Go to court for the theme song's chorus where Phoenix and Edgeworth are throwing "Objection"s at each other, Phoenix starts to look defeated when Maya pats him on the back, gives a "ganbare~" pose or whatever, turns into Mia with fancy pants animu effects, they nod to each other, Phoenix yells Objection, Edgeworth does his "defeated / angry" pose, Phoenix and all the main characters gather in anime formation, he points at the screen, title card, court doors close. And then just use one of the hundreds of samey jpop songs about "never giving up" or "change fate".

But no. Let's do running, running in the rain, walking on the beach, the golden chains of yaoi fanfics, SUNFLOWERS!!!!!!, more running, title.

FluxWaveZ

I think there's the possibility we'll be getting a second opening if this show lasts long enough, so maybe they'll take the criticism (I've seen Japanese comments mocking it as well) and make a far better one when the time comes.

Jay RaR

Another alright episode. Watching an Engrish speaking Redd White with the alt subs is pretty jarring to me imo. The 3D crowd is also pretty weird and kinda out of place. There are a lot of strange close-ups of Redd White but I guess that's to be expected when he's trying really hard to lie and be overly dramatic on the stand.

Also, what's the general consensus on the OST? Pursuit-Cornered felt really underwhelming to me...

Same. I didn't notice the Cornered arrangement until someone pointed it out. Its fine but not as energetic and thrilling as the original theme.

JulianImp

Reposting from the AnimeGAF OT:

Ace Attorney #4
I object to this completely lifeless adaptation. Thinking about it, I don't believe the game was as good for its story as it was for having you play through it while the plot unfolded, and taking agency away leaves a very bare-bones plot that is barely at around Detective Conan AO tier. The way things have been so far gives me little hope for later cases, even if the next one is going to have Oldbag in it.

Also, it looks like the poor bellboy who signed the affidavit was completely ignored for this adaptation, so I guess that means
they won't even pay attention to him when he shows up again in a later case.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
WHACHA NAME!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom