• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney Anime) |OT| Eat your hamburgers, Naruhodo-kun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Significantly better than the first episode, but still not very impressive. However, I liked the final scene with Maya a lot. That head bump on the glass was great. I really hope there are more neat details like this.

spiritfox

In the episode
he talks to Hoshikage (forgot his localized name), and then looks for other attorneys too. I thought it was just Hoshikage he tried with in the game.

No, that was added. Another thing was that
Maya had her phone with her.

SPOILERS for the videos above.

Those are just video edits for the anime scenes, too. The Pachinko game has some good quality character and environment 3D models that are better than what was seen in episode 1.

Part 4 (depicting Ace Attorney 1-5) is the kind of abstractness I'd want to see during the courtroom scenes, and that I fear the anime will lack.

It's a weird feeling when a Pachinko game's scenes seem like they'll be better than the actual anime adaptation.

So are those videos taken straight from the anime or are they something else?

FluxWaveZ

So are those videos taken straight from the anime or are they something else?

Like the post says, those are made for the Ace Attorney Pachinko machine. It has great production values, so the pachinko game has some awesome looking 3D models, original remixes, voice acting, its own anime scenes, etc.

Now to watch episode 2.

MrBadger

It's decent, but I just don't feel any of the impactful moments. They all just feel a bit flat to me. I had that issue last episode too. Maybe the courtroom showdown with Edgeworth will feel more alive

D-Man

I actually liked this episode much more than the last. I liked the fact that they showed Phoenix
looking like a mess after spending all day talking to other lawyers in the middle of a rainy day
. It made the situation seem a bit more urgent than in the game, IMO.

Looking forward to seeing the first day in court for this case.

FluxWaveZ

Wow, I thought this was much better than the first episode. I said this before:
I have this thought that, if they're not going to go crazy with it, the investigation scenes might end up being significantly better than the courtroom scenes.
And it stands. I thought the pacing was great and there were no scenes that truly felt poor, while there were a few in the first episode. The little touches like Phoenix looking for more attorneys to defend Maya after Grossberg denied were cool, too.

My opinion of the anime has gone way up. Hopefully they can keep it up. Next episode is another one revolving around the courtroom, so we'll see...

I hope we see Kyle Rivers in Ace Attorney 6.

They totally subbed Miso Ramen as Hamburgers

Yep, Project X Zone 2 pulled a similar joke. I appreciate it.

I'd have to go back and check, but I was also confused when he brought that up. Wonder if that's an actual inconsistency in the anime.

Like the scene where he should have heard it was there (watching the tv about the case) but there wasn't a line about it. I dunno if it's a case of CR fucking up the subs where they mistranslated the line it was mentioned or if it was a blurb on the tv screen they forgot to mention or if a1 pictures is just that inept at adapting things both are pretty likely.

MrBadger

It may have been covered but does anybody know how many episodes they're willing to spend on a case like this? I think I remember reading that they'd be two episodes long but there's a hell of a lot left to cover in this case.

Better episode but some of these inconsistencies are getting to me. Simple things like Wright's and Edgeworth's reverse positions in the court room or changing some of the investigation events irk me but they're harmless and done for time I suppose, but now they're starting to mess with actual events:

1-5 spoilers:
Edgeworth shouldn't have the King of Prosecutors award until the following February.

Also I didn't know they changed Gumshoe's voice actor for this. I wasn't a fan of Koji Ishii but he at least brought a lot of energy to the performance.

Mista Koo

The mood is all over the place in this adaption which is ruining it for me. Episode 2
Just found out his mentor is dead *silly music plays* "Hello I'm Gumshoe."

FluxWaveZ

The mood is all over the place in this adaption which is ruining it for me. Episode 2
Just found out his mentor is dead *silly music plays* "Hello I'm Gumshoe."

To be fair, it was a bit like that in the game too. I'd argue that the anime made it a point to make Mia's death feel sadder, actually. It wasn't as all over the place as in episode 1.

L00P

lol at that random OBJECTION Phoenix blurts out in the end. I see they're trying to keep the spirit of the games intact

Qurupeke

I find it very amusing that the anime seems a lot like an early 2000 production. I'd like to say that this is deliberate, because the first game was out in 2001, but unfortunately, I'm sure it's not that.

NeonZ

I hope we see Kyle Rivers in Ace Attorney 6.

I was wondering how the localized subs would handle the name of a new character.

Also,
I wonder if that girl in the flashback scene will have any significance later on. Probably not...

I think the flashback girl might be relevant.
She's later shown to be one of the students from Phoenix's class in the 2nd flashback in the same episode, so she probably will get a speaking role in the flashback episode we're supposedly getting.

Better episode but some of these inconsistencies are getting to me. Simple things like Wright's and Edgeworth's reverse positions in the court room or changing some of the investigation events irk me but they're harmless and done for time I suppose, but now they're starting to mess with actual events:

1-5 spoilers:
Edgeworth shouldn't have the King of Prosecutors award until the following February.

Also I didn't know they changed Gumshoe's voice actor for this. I wasn't a fan of Koji Ishii but he at least brought a lot of energy to the performance.

He also shouldn't have the
flowers and Steel Samurai
statue yet. That shouldn't happen until after the next case.

I'm guessing that the studio got a screenshots of his office from 1-5 as "Edgeworth's Office" and went with it. I'm surprised no one caught it.

FluxWaveZ

He also shouldn't have the flowers and Steel Samurai statue yet. That shouldn't happen until after the next case.

I'm guessing that the studio got a screenshots of his office from 1-5 as "Edgeworth's Office" and went with it. I'm surprised no one caught it.

I liked the touch of seeing his office but, yeah, some fact checking for those elements would have been good.

I liked the touch of seeing his office but, yeah, some fact checking for those elements would have been good.

You can even see the card on the flowers lol.

The really weird thing is that they focused on both the
trophy and the flowers and statue
to show that they are important, so they knew what they were.

Like the post says, those are made for the Ace Attorney Pachinko machine. It has great production values, so the pachinko game has some awesome looking 3D models, original remixes, voice acting, its own anime scenes, etc.

Now to watch episode 2.

I read the post and the description on youtube ("Animated promo material from the Gyakuten Saiban/Ace Attorney pachinko game which features the upcoming Ace Attorney Anime") but I've never heard of a Pachinko machine before.

Some of the wording from different places had me confused if it was made just for the machine or if it was taken from the anime itself.

FluxWaveZ

I read the post and the description on youtube ("Animated promo material from the Gyakuten Saiban/Ace Attorney pachinko game which features the upcoming Ace Attorney Anime") but I've never heard of a Pachinko machine before.

Some of the wording from different places had me confused if it was made just for the machine or if it was taken from the anime itself.

Yeah, any place saying that it was promo material directly related to the anime series or scenes taken from it are wrong. The pachinko machine is a completely separate thing, with its own exclusive material.

Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to comparing this video to episode 3 of the anime.

SPOILERS for episode 3 and maybe 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ7ffRfMEqI

Dario ff

Banned
Episode 2:
I don't think the trophy in the office is an error. He's holding the trophy on his introductory scene with Von Karma after all.

Episode 2:
I don't think the trophy in the office is an error. He's holding the trophy on his introductory scene with Von Karma after all.

It doesn't really matter if the anime showed it earlier. That just means they doubled down on being wrong.

Factually, Edgeworth did not win it until February and I'm annoyed by this because getting that trophy and the ceremony itself was a big part of the case. It won't matter if the anime skips the case entirely though.

FluxWaveZ

It doesn't really matter if the anime showed it earlier. That just means they doubled down on being wrong.

Factually, Edgeworth did not win it until February and I'm annoyed by this because getting that trophy and the ceremony itself was a big part of the case. It won't matter if the anime skips the case entirely though.

It's worth noting that the original months from the game don't really apply to the anime. In the game, AA1 is taking place in August. In the anime, they changed that to April.

Just watched both episodes... holy crap this is bad.

Though if its meant to promote the games it kind of works, my wife is finally going to play the games so she can wash the anime from her mind, lol.

If they're adapting it in game segments (splitting up the investigations and maybe even the court parts into different episodes), then there is no way in hell they'll be doing Rise from the Ashes. That thing could be a cour by itself with that approach.

My guess with the "Trial" naming scheme is that that is just how they'll be labeling different "parts" of the same case.

PKrockin

Oh wow they actually forgot to include the bit where Phoenix sees the witness across the street. Now Phoenix inexplicably knows there's a witness in room 303 of the Gatewater Hotel.

And when the TV show's Mia's picture and info it says she's 28, then they cut from that shot to a full screen view and it says 27. lmao

FluxWaveZ

The OP is really underwhelming. They should've stolen the 777 song from their own Pachinko machine to use for the OP:

http://youtu.be/LoqDAQhptZI (Go to 14:00)

That's what I've been saying in this thread as well:
I prefer the main theme of the Pachinko machine, "I Object to that Truth" to the main theme of the actual anime, "Gyakuten Winner."

Edit: Also, I think the use of music was better in episode 2 than in episode 1. I think that scene where Maya realizes Phoenix trusts her might have been a tad too melodramatic, but it worked.

So how long is this going to be? Based off of this investigations and trials seem like they will alternate.

IIRC about case lengths, that is 28 episodes all in all for AA1 and AA2.

Mista Koo

To be fair, it was a bit like that in the game too. I'd argue that the anime made it a point to make Mia's death feel sadder, actually. It wasn't as all over the place as in episode 1.
Nah. Besides the non-real time nature of the game Phoenix does narrate his thoughts about the death, examines the office, and has a conversation with Maya.before the police shows up.

Although I like the sad rendition of the Steel Samurai theme, my favorite track from the series.

Oh wow they actually forgot to include the bit where Phoenix sees the witness across the street. Now Phoenix inexplicably knows there's a witness in room 303 of the Gatewater Hotel.

And when the TV show's Mia's picture and info it says she's 28, then they cut from that shot to a full screen view and it says 27. lmao

Obviously she turned 28 that very second, but yeah I thought that was a really stupid mistake when I watched the episode.

13 episodes. Meaning they're definitely going to rush through a lot :/

When did they ever confirm 13 episodes? Last I knew the episode count was unknown and considering they're already shown off designs for JFA characters the anime would have to end InuYasha TFA pacing to cover everything.

When did they ever confirm 13 episodes? Last I knew the episode count was unknown and considering they're already shown off designs for JFA characters the anime would have to end InuYasha TFA pacing to cover everything.

They didn't? That's a relief. Could have sworn I remember this being 13 episodes long.

daydream

Banned
watched the first episode and i'm not at all surprised how poor it is across the board

also, prosecution and defence being on the wrong sides of the court room bothers me more than it should

Kevinroc

Well, they do have the composer from Inuyasha (and Inuyasha TFA)...

Famassu

Just watched the first episode. The pacing is off. Just feels like they are rushing through the courtroom drama as super fast as possible. Doesn't really let the suspense build up or let room for proper exchanges between the different participants.

Also, having played through the games for, like, 4-5 times, it's impossible to get accustomed to these OG Japanese names. It's Phoenix dammit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom